Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 19:58   #2836
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
I have one issue I am battling to get over
Left front auto 4x4 locker
It has caused the left front stub axle lock nuts to come loose whilst driving !!

How can I overcome this ? I hear that the 2014 THAR has fixed 4x4 front axles ??
The latest Thar has the fixed flange, without any free wheel hubs, i.e the front axles are always engaged. Basically this is the set up that comes in the Bolero 4x4 Bakkie, so you can get it from your Mahindra dealer itself. Ask them to replace the free wheeling hubs with the fixed flange from the 4x4 Bakkie. With this set up you can no longer disengage the front hubs.

The second option is to buy Warn manual Frew wheeling hubs for dana 44 axles. I will try to find the part number and send you. If warn is not available, you can get a brand called Lambda from India, which we can help organize for you. It costs about Indian rupees 3500 + shipping. This is what most of us in India are using.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:34   #2837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
I bought my Thar in April 2010. My Thar has never let me down. In the last 2 x competitions I finished 3rd and 2nd, kicking most of the big name brands bye-bye.

One issue I would appreciate some guidance on is the 4x4 front hub auto-lockers. Would going into reverse for 1 meter help to make sure the auto-locker has dissengaged? Is the 2014 change, having constant engaged 4x4 a good thing? Can I get a workshop manual with exploded view or assembly drawing of the front hubs for the 2014 type hub? Is there another part we can fit, that allows manual hub locking?
Dear eagle888 (south africa) - hello there after 3 years! How are you? It is indeed nice to touch base with you once again. Answers to your queries are as follows:

Driving in reverse for a small distance reverses any chances of "driveline windup" which can happen as a normal phenomenon in any vehicle having part time 4WD. The wheels are supposed to slip on soft terrain which may not happen if the terrain is not conducive to slip below the wheels. Full time 4WD vehicles have the slip correction feature built into the design which is completely different from part time 4WD. The new Thar CRDe vehicles have flanges which are introduced to reduce the cost, it is as simple as that. Reliability comes free, as the flanges are so simple, there is nothing to go wrong. Please note that the Thar CRDe flanges are not common with older generation M&M vehicles as the construction and torque carrying capacity of both applications are completely different. Thar CRDe has involute splines whereas the older vehicles had straight splines. However, you are correct, the Thar CRDe flange is indeed common with another Indian vehicle, because the axle construction is common, coming from the same vendor. I had used these flanges only in my test vehicle, way back from 2009 onwards. For obvious reason, I will refrain from naming the vehicle but you can take an educated guess. . The process of assembly necessitates use of a recommended threadlock sealant on the high tensile strength allen bolts. The length of bolts is different from those used with the free wheeling hubs. Bolts of this length are not readily available, I had cut longer bolts and used them. If the recommended process of assembly, especially thread sealant is not followed, you will have 100% failure, so please be very careful. I have not seen manual locking hubs with this construction of splines, but they may be existing somewhere, I don't know. Reliability of manual locking hubs is extremely poor. Please PM me if you want any further help.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 00:18   #2838
BHPian

Got the brakes upgraded today in warranty. Brakes have a definite improvement however the first time you hit the brake pedal there is a lag, the second time ( manual ABS ) you hit the pedal the vehicle halts without breaking a sweat.

Thanks to Mr Sukhjinder of R & R Automobiles, Gurgaon for getting the job done and personally checking on the procedure.

Had read couple of bad reviews about this place earlier however my experience is totally the opposite.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:09   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
So I was able to do the PDI on my Thar. Thanks to the fellow Thar owners for letting me know what to look for. Overall, it was in great shape. Updated model, no tears in the canvas, lights and a/c work fine, and the door locks work . Overall very happy.
Regarding the brakes:
I spoke to the head of service, who is the one who usually oversees all Thars that come in. He said that the new booster is a double diaphragm model (751N) which I'm guessing is the same as tandem, and that the vacuum tank is the same as before. He showed me an mHawk version and it was definitely larger than the Thar. So all in all, half the brake upgrade is done. Here are a couple pics. I was not able to get a pic of the vacuum tank as I had to take a call and leave.
Hi,

If you have got a delivery of your Thar can you please click some pictures of brake vacuum tank or may be share part number if you have one.

I have got the brake booster replaced with new one under warranty and I am waiting for vacuum tank replacement as well so if new Thar is coming with new vacuum tank then I can push the ASC further.

For your help, the brake vacuum tank is located on left side of engine bay just in front of battery.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 25th November 2013, 13:56   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
Got the brakes upgraded today in warranty. Brakes have a definite improvement however the first time you hit the brake pedal there is a lag, the second time ( manual ABS ) you hit the pedal the vehicle halts without breaking a sweat.

Thanks to Mr Sukhjinder of R & R Automobiles, Gurgaon for getting the job done and personally checking on the procedure.

Had read couple of bad reviews about this place earlier however my experience is totally the opposite.
Hey there,

You mean every time you need to press the brake pedal more than once

thanks
Sri
Old 25th November 2013, 14:07   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
Hey there, You mean every time you need to press the brake pedal more than once thanks Sri
That's correct Sri. There is 50% response on the first pedal. Might be due to sir in the brake pipes and hydraulics. Will have it checked tomorrow and update you.
Old 25th November 2013, 14:50   #2842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear eagle888 (south africa) - hello there after 3 years! How are you?
======== Please PM me if you want any further help. Best regards, Behram Dhabhar
Hello Mr. Dhabhar,
I have just gotten the Thar with new features. There was a strange humming vibration I was getting at speeds between 80-100kmph. NBS & Milestone tried everything to get rid of it from putting original rims instead of the alloys I had put, to changing the propeller shaft, to checking wheel bearings etc. Finally on my request they replaced the fixed flanges with the Auto locking hubs and voalla! The vibration disappeared & as a bonus the steering became lighter!
I want to know if the fixed flange system is a faulty system or was I unlucky? Were there any real benefits of it over the Auto locking hubs? Sir, with your experience I would like to know whether am I better off now or was it better to have the fixed flanges ?? And according to you which is the best system to have out of Manual, Auto & fixed flange?
Avigo71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 19:45   #2843
BHPian

Wanted to share a picture of my stock ride, well almost stock . Any suggestions on a good roll bar available in NCR ? Also, is the cross member a part of the free upgrade Mahindra is offering, like the brake booster replacement (wishful thinking) , if not then how much does it cost?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_0929.jpg  

Old 26th November 2013, 13:54   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
That's correct Sri. There is 50% response on the first pedal. Might be due to sir in the brake pipes and hydraulics. Will have it checked tomorrow and update you.
Got the bleeding of the brakes done today morning from R&R Automobiles and wallah!! No more spongy brakes and the vehicle stops with much ease. Can now truly appreciate the bigger brake booster.
Old 28th November 2013, 12:34   #2845
BHPian

Re: Maruti to recall 4 models / 1492 vehicles over steering column defect

For those you missed the recall article!

Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5397226.ece

India's leading car manufacturer Maruti-Suzuki is recalling 1.5k vehicles (see below for model details), manufactured between 19 Oct 13 & 23 Oct 13, for defect in steering column. These include:

1. Ertiga: 306 numbers,
2. Swift: 592 numbers,
3. Dzire: 581 numbers, &
4. A-Star: 13 numbers

The new steering column has been despatched to dealer workshops, who will contact owners of all vehicles in the above range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post

Mahindra - Please Rise AND LEARN

We have all upgraded our Thar Brakes on our own, since you DO NOT want to recognise the problem!

Oh, I almost forgot, there is CMVR to your rescue!
Old 28th November 2013, 12:55   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Got the bleeding of the brakes done today morning from R&R Automobiles and wallah!! No more spongy brakes and the vehicle stops with much ease. Can now truly appreciate the bigger brake booster.
Good news. How did the brake perform. I know the spongy feeling gone. Now one can rely on the brakes after booster upgrading.
Now the single press is enough to stop, please confirm

Sri
Old 28th November 2013, 15:04   #2847
BHPian

Re: Maruti to recall 4 models / 1492 vehicles over steering column defect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
For those you missed the recall article!

Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5397226.ece

India's leading car manufacturer Maruti-Suzuki is recalling 1.5k vehicles (see below for model details), manufactured between 19 Oct 13 & 23 Oct 13, for defect in steering column. These include:

1. Ertiga: 306 numbers,
2. Swift: 592 numbers,
3. Dzire: 581 numbers, &
4. A-Star: 13 numbers

The new steering column has been despatched to dealer workshops, who will contact owners of all vehicles in the above range.
They did recall or sort of however silently. So its like you find issue and then they will fix it without providing any details.

I got the brake booster changed to the new Thar's one after I raised issue, It is still half done but that's different story.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 28th November 2013, 18:52   #2848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
Good news. How did the brake perform. I know the spongy feeling gone. Now one can rely on the brakes after booster upgrading. Now the single press is enough to stop, please confirm Sri
Yes Sri, single press on the pedal is now enough, and no more spongy feeling. I'm on a road trip right now and in the 400 Kms covered the brakes give much more confidence to the driver even on 100 kmph speeds.
Old 30th November 2013, 11:48   #2849
BHPian

Fellows, a question, if I am planning to maintain Thar outside ASC, then what are the right replacements of all the Fluids and filters mentioned in user manual

1. Engine oil - Maximile FEO
2. Oil filter for Same
3. Engine coolant - maximile ultra cool
4. Manual transmission - maximile Syntec f2
5. Rear Axle - maximile Elite
6. Transfer case - castrol protector / IOC SERVOTRENDEX / BPCL MAK AUTRAN IID
7. Power steering - shell spirax s3 ATF
8. Brake clutch - castrol universal / tvs grilling dot3
9 grease - this is ok

The user manual snapshot is attached

Assuming the last service was done correctly by ASC, still I am thinking of resetting the service counter and start with replacing all the fluids by the ones available in market.

Experts your views please.

The Odo stands at 7.2 k and 11 months complete.

Cheers
Milind
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image3754143515.jpg  

Old 15th December 2013, 12:25   #2850

Hello! I have had a Thar since October 2012 and have enjoyed owning and driving it thus far. It has given me no major problems so far apart from very minor issues such as the front metal roof cover hitting the targa band (noise) and such. And of course the patience required to deal with ASC stupidity and rank ignorance when it comes to the service and maintenance required for the Thar.

More recently my rear suspension has started to squeak and also gives out a cracking/rattling noise especially when turning the vehicle on elevated surfaces (such as backing out of the driveway and onto the road). Numerous visits to IG ASC at Whitefield has only resulted in a temporary fix. The squeaks and cracks are back after a week or so.

I have observed other Thars don't make this noise. Do any of you Thar owners face this problem of squeaks and rattles from your rear leaf springs? If so what did you do to fix this issue for good? Will cleaning the leaf springs and using WD-40 help? But this is again a temporary fix I think.

Thank you for your assistance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks