Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 13:45   #346
Senior - BHPian

Was driving home yesterday late evening when this car overtakes me at Saidapet and comes in front. What a monster ? The rear is just out of the world. Did not really find the side-profile appealing though.

Driving through Chennai-dsc02285.jpg

Sorry for the bad snap - cellphone-cam + poor lighting + glare from the X6's rear-lamps.
Old 7th June 2010, 21:25   #347
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I think i chose the wrong profession! Is it never too late?. More pics of Chennai street life coming soon.
Wow that pic was clicked near my office
Old 7th June 2010, 21:29   #348
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Thanks. I agree with you on the Ritz. I came across a cool looking ,IMO, Superb a while back. And, a couple of pics while driving around too.
I had a close look at this superb when it had come to tecnokrat for ICE.It has F1 Headunit and costs just 6L
Old 8th June 2010, 14:23   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Was driving home yesterday late evening when this car overtakes me at Saidapet and comes in front. What a monster ? Sorry for the bad snap - cellphone-cam + poor lighting + glare from the X6's rear-lamps.
Came across the (same) X6 some days ago. This time in daytime and got a better snap.
Driving through Chennai-dsc02322.jpg

Also chanced upon this nice (unmarked?) Jeep.
Driving through Chennai-dsc02304.jpg

BTW, saw a brand new (ribbon still intact on bonnet) white i20 CRDi crashed at Velachery yesterday night around 10:30PM. As per an auto-driver, the kids driving it were speeding down Velachery byepass and took the sweeping left (towards Guindy) when they lost control, hit the median after which car swerved to the left and hit the pavement at right angles. Rear-right tyre was flat, serious damage to the front-right.
It's a nice curve (I take that road home from work daily), but I guess the kids were too fast for the curve.

Auto-driver said kids were drunk, though they did not look sloshed to me.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th June 2010 at 14:25.
Old 8th June 2010, 14:29   #350
Senior - BHPian

Wow, so there are 2 white X6s in Chennai with the 1234 number. Interesting.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:30   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, saw a brand new (ribbon still intact on bonnet) white i20 CRDi crashed at Velachery yesterday night around 10:30PM. As per an auto-driver, the kids driving it were speeding down Velachery byepass and took the sweeping left (towards Guindy) when they lost control, hit the median after which car swerved to the left and hit the pavement at right angles. Rear-right tyre was flat, serious damage to the front-right.
It's a nice curve (I take that road home from work daily), but I guess the kids were too fast for the curve.

Auto-driver said kids were drunk, though they did not look sloshed to me.
Yeah its a fun curve actually I'm surprised that an i20 lost control there. Guess its new tyres that still had the protective coating ?
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:05   #352
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving through Chennai

Some spottings at Chennai

1) A Hummer H3 on Nungambakkam High Road
Driving through Chennai-dsc00112.jpg

2) A VW Touareg on Cenotaph Road flyover
Driving through Chennai-dsc00113.jpg

3) A funky Zen at a shopping mall on N.H.Road
Driving through Chennai-dsc02756.jpg

4) Side-view of the Zen
Driving through Chennai-dsc02757.jpg

5) Spotted this modded-Aveo just before the Perungudi toll-plaza. Took me some time to make out what car it is.
Driving through Chennai-dsc02770.jpg

Interestingly while driving through the Kerala countryside, I saw an M800 parked in the driveway of a home, which was done up like the Zen above - Stepney on rear-hatch door, even a pseudo-ladder at rear. Could not stop to take a snap. Wifey said, "Must be a team-bhpian".
Old 23rd January 2011, 03:20   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

The Zen driver is the vainest man in Chennai. He has a special mirror just to check out the back of his head! Pity he wasn't more concerned with the safety aspects of simply being able to see out of the rear window
Old 23rd January 2011, 05:23   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The Zen driver is the vainest man in Chennai. He has a special mirror just to check out the back of his head! Pity he wasn't more concerned with the safety aspects of simply being able to see out of the rear window
Thats a reversing mirror... used mostly in vans and large SUV and is mandatory is some markets like Singapore. Although here its only for style and I'm not sure its even positioned properly.

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd January 2011 at 09:42.
Old 23rd January 2011, 06:14   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
LOL You do crack me up in this case. ROTFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Thats a reversing mirror... used mostly in vans and large SUV and is mandatory is some markets like Singapore. Although I'm not sure its positioned properly in this case.
Is it so?

Cos I would rather think a flat rear vehicle is much easier to park than a sedan with a long boot. Experienced it myself over the years.
Old 23rd January 2011, 09:41   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Cos I would rather think a flat rear vehicle is much easier to park than a sedan with a long boot. Experienced it myself over the years.
@Milemuncher, actually what happens is, if you have a small kid standing right behind a tall vehicle like SUV or van he/she will not be visible in any of the usual RVMs. There have been many accidents where kids have been run over while reversing.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving through Chennai-hiace.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd January 2011 at 18:41.
Old 23rd January 2011, 12:30   #357
Senior - BHPian

LOL @ the Ghostbusters sticker and alloy caps
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:44   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
actually what happens is, if you have a small kid standing right behind a tall vehicle like SUV or van he/she will not be visible in any of the usual RVMs. There have been many accidents where kids have been run over while reversing.
This is something that puzzled me for years, until somebody told me the secret, and Mpower has, of course, the correct explanation. I used to think it was to check that the spare tire was still there!

There are also inanimate things, like low walls and bollards, that it should help avoid --- but not if it is pointing at the back of one's own head

I don't think they are common in India, but then, there are a lot of SUV drivers who don't seem to care if they kill anybody. Many even have knife-sharp bull-bar brackets on the front to make sure that they do.
Old 24th January 2011, 19:57   #359
BHPian

@Thad E Ginathom
Quote:
I don't think they are common in India, but then, there are a lot of SUV drivers who don't seem to care if they kill anybody. Many even have knife-sharp bull-bar brackets on the front to make sure that they do.
Actually even if the SUV is equipped with a reverse view camera, it still leaves some blind spot especially if you are trying to back into a tight space. This mirror comes in handy to check the edges of your SUV.

OT: I think a SUV is one of the most maligned vehicles. They are not gas guzzling monsters any more and the way the Madras roads are now - you need them.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:07   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

It's not the vehicle, it's the way they are driven, and, possibly, the reason why they are bought, which all part of the problem. Recently, I have been wishing I could afford a Skoda Yeti --- or even a CRV! So you can see that I have nothing against SUVs as such.

I have a lot against ornamenting the front of one's vehicle with something that is deadly as well as stupid --- whether it is an SUV or an 800!. This is one of my mantras:

Say No To Bull Bars: they have no place outside of a forest. They kill pedestrians.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks