Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 13:45   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
In that sector, I also damaged my balancing rod (bush and both nuts came off on LHS) and broke my number plate.
and your tail light, isn't it kumar?
Old 30th September 2009, 14:42   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
No, the tail lamp was broken when I backed up (to a rocky shoulder) to give way to an army truck convoy between Upshi and Mahe en route TsoMoriri.
Old 30th September 2009, 16:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Nooooooooo, its not good.

Its time for writing a travelogue full with crisp narration and awesome pics.

And i am interested in knowing how did Bolero fare specially on accounts of long drive comfort ?

After that you can plan for the next trip, what say MileCruncher ?
The travelogue along with Pictures will be written over the extended weekend as I'm still trying to recover from the vacation. Bolero did perform really well, taking in some really hard terrains. You can check the status on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vlx-india.html

Quote:
Quote:
No, the tail lamp was broken when I backed up (to a rocky shoulder) to give way to an army truck convoy between Upshi and Mahe en route TsoMoriri.
Actually on the way back from Tso - Moriri both you were complementing each other Kumar's left tail light and Mandar's right tail lamp not working. True brother in Arms
Old 30th September 2009, 17:57   #124

hey MC, wish we had a video of our night drive to tsomoriri.....we were literally making our own road
Old 30th September 2009, 19:12   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhat1977 View Post
hey MC, wish we had a video of our night drive to tsomoriri.....we were literally making our own road
Naveen, you forget that my car video cam has captured the entire proceedings, although it is not the night drive. The entire drive from Bombay to Bombay is recorded on my car camera!
Old 1st October 2009, 10:54   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhat1977 View Post
Quote:
Naveen, you forget that my car video cam has captured the entire proceedings, although it is not the night drive. The entire drive from Bombay to Bombay is recorded on my car camera!
naveen, i wished a lot of times this very thing. but i guess all of us were too zonked to think about record that drive. that night drive in the middle of nowhere was truly one of the highlights of the ladakh expedition!
kumar, you and your car video cam were not there on this leg of the adventure. it'd been great if you were there but then in that case we wouldn't have got lost and drove like maniacs on the dark hill wondering where we were headed.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:32   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it'd been great if you were there but then in that case we wouldn't have got lost and drove like maniacs
As if all other times it was sane driving
Old 1st October 2009, 12:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
naveen, i wished a lot of times this very thing. but i guess all of us were too zonked to think about record that drive. that night drive in the middle of nowhere was truly one of the highlights of the ladakh expedition!
kumar, you and your car video cam were not there on this leg of the adventure. it'd been great if you were there but then in that case we wouldn't have got lost and drove like maniacs on the dark hill wondering where we were headed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
As if all other times it was sane driving
Lalu you can't even imagine what we went through that night. The drive after dark from the Sumdo to Korzok is definitely the wildest drive of my lifetime. At one point we couldn't find the Taxi that we were following. The Taxi Driver being was a real gem, waited for us on the plateau with blinkers on. If he had not been there we would have gone "God Knows Where" as per the driver himself. And after that we were blasting at 60KMPH through cobbled roads with stones of all sizes hitting the underbody. Certain places the road was just 1 feet wider than our cars and on the other side was a valley. The relief that we got after reaching Tso - Moriri cannot be described in words.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:25   #129
Senior - BHPian

AB, I was pulling Mandars leg, about driving following the chief!!

Tso Morriri drive in thenight I definitely agree.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:42   #130
Senior - BHPian

Before you get the Video of Operation Pajero Pull-Out, I'm posting a few pics of taken from the Balcony Seats
Attached Thumbnails
Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_1908.jpg  

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_1909.jpg  

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_1919.jpg  

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_1920.jpg  

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_1922.jpg  

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_1924.jpg  

Old 1st October 2009, 14:53   #131
Team-BHP Support

LOL, those dunes are dangerous. We also almost got stuck on them, but luckily I had momentum, so could breeze through.
Did you guys take the normal road back to Deskit, or the "Off road" (A dune has to be climbed to get to the off road)
Old 1st October 2009, 14:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

We took the normal road to Desikit, then came around from the village onto the sand dune country
Old 1st October 2009, 15:22   #133
Team-BHP Support

Ok, I was talking about this road.
From Diskit to hunder, normally you go on main road, and then turn right and go around village to the dunes.
you can come back by same route, or go back to Diskit on the off road route
Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-hunderdiskit.jpg

This is the off road track
Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-650515005_dprqhl.jpg

To go onto this track you have to cross a dune which has come onto the track, here is the pic

We crossed this dune mutiple times as we drove back and forth chasing rainbows. This is us going back towards the dunes, after photography on the track.

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-650526327_ckkrgl.jpg

Full details for this section on this page of my travelogue (page 7)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1486328

Kaushik (KSM_Vtec) also took this route. by my calculations, though the dine is 4WD territory, the dune section on track is few meters long. So if you come at speed, a 2WD can proabably clear it, esp if the tires are slightly deflated to 15-18PSI

You know what, its a strange coincidence, First we did this circuit (Leh, nubra, wari La, Pangong), after that KSM_Vtec did this exact same route, and then you guys did this exact same route. This must be a TBHP record!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st October 2009 at 15:24.
Old 1st October 2009, 15:47   #134
Senior - BHPian

On talking to the pajero guy, he mentioned that he came in fast to the dunes in 2WD and tried to engage the 4WD, by that time he sunk completely. But instead of assessing he again accelerated digging the entire pajero in.

4WD experts can comment what went wrong. I am new to these terms :(
Old 1st October 2009, 15:53   #135
Team-BHP Support

Okay, first of all, you do not engage 4WD after getting stuck. you engage 4WD before going on the dunes.
Secondly, the dune section where he got stuck is not what I was talking about, that is further down towards diksit, and is tamer as compared to the big dunes where you were climbing.

That said, sand is tricky, seemingly easy sand track and be a deep sand trap. Even when I parked the safari for photography, though I was in Low ratio 4WD, I did not immediately zoom out.
I engaged second gear(low ratio) and then slowly realeased clutch, and gently the wheels spun a little and she shook a bit, as there was slight digging in. I resisted the urge to floor the pedal and gently increased throttle slightly. Once she got moving, it was easy.
Golden rule of sand, never spin the wheels, all you will do is churn the track.

BTW I noticed another dangerous thing. You are using unweighted rope to pull out. If the rope snaps, it can damage your vehicle, and injure the bystanders dangerously!
This is not to be done!

Always put a jacket or something on the tow strap while towing!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st October 2009 at 15:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks