Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 22:49   #346
BHPian

Smartcat,

Have been waiting for today's set of pics .... Its all photography info updates ..but this too good info for beginners like me ... ...

Thanks,
Srini...
Old 19th March 2010, 00:15   #347
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, this image properties info is good - IrfanView even lets me know whether flash was used or not!

CHICKMAGALUR - BELUR - HALEBID TRIP CONTD:

Pic 1: The next day, we decide to visit Mullayanagiri. We find this elephant and his Mahout on the roadside. We politely ask him if we could take the elephant's photo. He politely asks for Rs. 200. We then politely refuse to pay, get back to the car, start the engine and clicked this photo. We were pretty sure that even if the Mahout ordered his elephant to attack us, we could get away.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02276.jpg

Pic 2, 3, 4: Mullayanagiri is the tallest peak in South India (cough cough!). At 6300 ft, this is as high as Shimla's altitude. Except in the summer season, the road to Mullayanagiri is misty and foggy - even in the afternoon.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02278.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0179.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0182.jpg

Pic 5: The tar road gives way to mud road, and visibility is low. Both Optra & the Palio have the turning radius of Jupiter. So we park the cars on the side and take a walk.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0189.jpg

Pic 6: We spot a green snake during our walk. The image is blurry because we used digital zoom to get a closeup - since nobody in our group was drunk enough to get close to the snake.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02290.jpg

Pic 7: We feel like idiots at the end of our 15 minute walk. There is a huge parking lot with atleast 10 parked taxis (and room for 10 more) at the "base camp".

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0201.jpg

Pic 8: We were truly disappointed to see so many people - men, women & children climbing up the hill. Although we didn't know what's on top the hill, we were pretty sure that there would be a temple (Clue: men, women & children) - and there actually is one.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02286.jpg

Pic 9 & 10: Since none of us were in a "temple mood", we decide to explore the area, and find our own peak.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02285.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0204.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 19th March 2010 at 00:18.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:20   #348
Senior - BHPian

How did I miss this thread?!! I'm not quite a reader but the pics seem to have me glued to this thread!

Last edited by Jayabusa : 19th March 2010 at 15:21.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:40   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How did I miss this thread?
Oh I know the reason - the title of this thread is crappy! It sounds like I have collected some images/videos of Indian highways from the internet

I should have called it - 100,000 kms on Indian Highways with My Girlfriend Chameli. Now that would have got some attention.
Old 19th March 2010, 18:52   #350
BHPian

Smartcat,

Bring-on the chameli part of your 1,00,000 KMS of highway driving ....That episode might become the highlight of this thread ... ..

OT: In General, after opening the travelogues section, i will check updates for this thread and ofcourse our CL's incredible thread .....

Thanks,
Srini...
Old 19th March 2010, 23:33   #351
Team-BHP Support

Actually there is a colleague of mine - she had christened my Optra as "Chameli". So don't expect anything new! We also have Kaalia, Titli, Musaafir, Golu and Dhanno amongst us.

I think the name "Chameli" was inspired by the Kareena Kapoor movie by the same name. See, the Optra is used (driven) by many men during our roadtrips - I know its not very flattering, but that's how the car got its name!
Old 20th March 2010, 00:25   #352
Team-BHP Support

CHICKMAGALUR - BELUR - HALEBID (CONCLUDING PART)

Pic 1: After climbing for some time, we reach the summit of our little hill. The victorious moutaineering team that conquered the little mound -

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0199.jpg

Pic 2: That's me with my favorite "Hari Potter" T-shirt. I liked that shirt so much I used to wear it twice a week inspite of protests from Mum. But when I wore it for an important wedding, that was the last straw. I never saw that T-shirt again - Mum claimed it was stolen when it was hung outside for drying.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02281.jpg

Pic 3: Climbing down our little hill is a slip and slide affair.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0203.jpg

Pic 4: From Mullayanagiri, we decide to drive down to Halebid. Half-Italian Optra (Pininfarina link) chases full blooded Italian Palio through the narrow roads.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0174.jpg

Pic 5: Of course, we do break for an ocassional pee stop. Meanwhile, Jagga sees a Jeep Taxi with a couple of girls inside - so he tries to look presentable.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0101.jpg

Pic 6: The Hoysaleshwar Temple at Halebid.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02292.jpg

Pic 7 & 8: The walls of the Temple are full of sculptures like these.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02293.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02291.jpg

Pic 9: Statue of Nandi near the Temple.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02294.jpg

Pic 10: Inside the Shiva Temple.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02296.jpg

Pic 11: Ganesha Statue inside the Temple complex.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02300.jpg

Pic 12: I'm incredibly proud of this picture I have taken - whenever I look at it, I pat my own back. This is evening when there are tourists all around. But at this moment when I took the photo, there was not a single one in the frame.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02297.jpg

Pic 13: We have a "Round Leg Conference" at the Halebid Temple complex.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0164.jpg

Pic 14: At the conference, we decide to drive down to Bangalore the same day, rather than leave Halebid the next morning.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0096.jpg
Old 20th March 2010, 01:10   #353
BHPian

Smartcat,

One of the good travelogues, I have read in t-bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Pic 13: We have a "Round Leg Conference" at the Halebid Temple complex.
None of the legs are round. How come you are referring to them as 'Round Leg Conference'?

Instead you can call that as "All Legs Conference" similar to "All party meeting / Conference".
Old 20th March 2010, 22:37   #354
Team-BHP Support

Glad you liked my trips Jackal!

Today, I bought two 195/60 R15 Yokohama A-Drives for Rs. 3800 each for my Optra. All this time, I was running Yokohamas in the front and Michelins at the rear. Now all four wheels run on Yokohamas.

Also discovered that the AC stops working after about 10 minutes. That is, the compressor switches off and the fan blows stale air into the cabin. But after a couple of hours, the AC starts working again (for 10 mins). I think the AC refrigerant has leaked out - will be going to the dealer this Monday.

Coming up tomorrow, pics from our roadtrip to Coastal Karnataka & Goa - in a Palio and a Wagon R. A sneak preview -
Attached Thumbnails
100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00431.jpg  

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th March 2010 at 22:45.
Old 20th March 2010, 23:12   #355
BHPian

kamat at honavar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good to note that it remains the same. Plus right at Ankola there is a Kamat which is very well maintained. (I think its towards the Karwar side and not Udupi side. But very close). But definitely adds to the charm of Nh63-NH17 meeting point with hot steaming South-Indian snacks!
yes the hubli karwar is a belter of a track did it in 2009 august.took it till yellapur no iron ore trucks.at yellapur went towards sirsi.the kamat is welcome respite. there is a a kamat at honavar too at the junction of gersoppa road with nh17. you have to travel right towards goa side to reach it in 300 mtrs.i hope this kamat is different than the one at ankola.this kamat was ok.
Attached Thumbnails
100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-ktk2009-151.jpg  

Old 21st March 2010, 17:09   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
yes the hubli karwar is a belter of a track did it in 2009 august.took it till yellapur no iron ore trucks.at yellapur went towards sirsi.the kamat is welcome respite. there is a a kamat at honavar too at the junction of gersoppa road with nh17. you have to travel right towards goa side to reach it in 300 mtrs.i hope this kamat is different than the one at ankola.this kamat was ok.
@pravdr, I have had food at this Kamat as well. The one at Ankola is maintained much better. Sometimes, to go to Hubli, the bus used to take the ghat stretch. The route used to be Karwar, Kadra, Joida, Dandeli, Haliyal, Dharwad, Hubli. The scenes were amazing, road quality, lesser mentioned the better !

The KSRTC bus to Bangalore used to take this route to Hubli and this by the way was the normal bus (no luxury options for such interior parts)! I have done this for almost 3-4 years ! Then came the private services Seabird and Sugama.
Old 21st March 2010, 23:51   #357
Team-BHP Support

COASTAL KARNATAKA - GOA TRIP

Instead of going to Goa directly via Hubli, we decided to hit Mangalore first, check out some places along the Karnataka coast before entering Goa. From Goa, we drove to Bangalore via the usual Hubli route.

Pic 1: Meet Karthic's Wagon R. In 3 years, this car had done 5000 km so far. He is the type of guy who would wash & clean the car everyday and take an auto to the mall or office - blaming the traffic conditions. Out of the 5,000 km the car had done so far, I think my friends & myself would have used it for atleast 2,000 km. That's why decided to give the Optra a rest, and took the WagonR for this trip.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00316.jpg

Pic 2: Since Karthic was a novice, I decided to sit in the passenger seat to keep an eye on dogs, road humps, cows and trucks. I don't think Karthic's wife was very happy that I had taken her place in the passenger seat.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00317.jpg

Pic 3: As a precautionary measure, I had asked Jagga driving the Palio to follow our car all the way - just incase Karthic hits a tree or something.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00324.jpg

Pic 4: Now Karthic's idea of brisk aggressive driving is 60 kmph, and sometimes 70 km/hr (going downhill). Our WagonR was regularly overtaken by trucks, whose passengers were looking at us as they went past. I wish I had a helmet to cover up my face.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00323.jpg

Pic 5: In the Ghats, the Palio's hazard lights switch ON automatically. Both the car stop on the side, and we open up the bonnet of the Palio.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00326.jpg

Vid 1: 2 days back, the Palio had been fitted with Autocop. So we open the bonnet and disable Autocop to solve the blinking lights problem.

Pic 6: We reach the Panambur Beach in Mangalore. From Left to Right -> Naveen the hairiest, Jagga the shortest, me the tallest, BP the fattest and Karthic the wierdest. Jagga is actually so short that - when it rains, he is generally the last one to know.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00344.jpg

Pic 7: The couple were offered a camel ride on the beach.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00335.jpg

Vid 2: Some hectic negotiations for fixing the rate for the camel ride.

Pic 8: "Man! What an Ugly Face!" - I bet that's what the camel was thinking when I shoved my face infront of the animal.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00336.jpg
Old 22nd March 2010, 00:21   #358
adc
Senior - BHPian

Smartcat, caught up with all the pages - it is a riot and still there's quite a few years and lots of pages to go - keep the tempo!!
Old 22nd March 2010, 05:21   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Jagga is actually so short that - when it rains, he is generally the last one to know.

This line is one of the most humorous lines I read in your entire Oscar winning travelogue of "Incredible India". Your writing is as good as your journey. Waiting for more to come.
Old 22nd March 2010, 06:11   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Meet Karthic's Wagon R. In 3 years, this car had done 5000 km so far. He is the type of guy who would wash & clean the car everyday and take an auto to the mall or office - blaming the traffic conditions. Out of the 5,000 km the car had done so far, I think my friends & myself would have used it for atleast 2,000 km. That's why decided to give the Optra a rest, and took the WagonR for this trip.
Sounds like my dad!

My dad wanted to sell off his old 800 (4 gear, no AC, tape based music system) . We called-up the Maruti true value to have a look at the car. The guy came, had a look and started commenting about how minimum he could give. Conversation ran thus:

Dad: Kitna milega? (How much I can get?)
TV: Aap ne kab Khareeeda tha? (When did you purchase?)
Dad: 1998
TV : Sir then Only about 30K max.
Dad: Are Gaadi Jyada chali nahi hai (It has not been driven much)
TV : (Probably thinking that still he could get away). Sir How much did you drive.
Dad: 13000 in 12 years.

At this point the guy fell flat laughing and asked why dad wanted to change? Away guess how much we got for the old car? 70K. The best price was decided not by the state of the car, but by depreciation ! Now dad has a Ritz LXI which is doing similar rounds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks