Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:41   #376
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks for the info MX6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Seems like you went to the Car street quite early. Not a single shop is open!
Which is car street? Throw some light here pls?
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:56   #377
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^Thanks for the info MX6

Which is car street? Throw some light here pls?
Car street is the South Canara/ Udupi district name given to the road around the temple where the temple car (ther) goes. You see those two big cars (ther) standing outside Krishna temple. That goes around the temple (rather in this case, around Anantheshwara and Chandramouleeswara temple). In Kannada, the car street is called as Ratha Beedi. (beedi as in Beedhi and not to be mistaken as younger brother of cigarette).

The shiroor mutt swamiji has erected huge gates on all sides of the car street. No more vehicles allowed in the car street. Not even two wheelers.
I got frustrated seeing this yesterday.
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:36   #378
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't resist posting. In this pic you resemble your avatar!
Attached Thumbnails
100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00613.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2010, 15:51   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Car street is the South Canara/ Udupi district name given to the road around the temple where the temple car (ther) goes. .
Is it car street or "Cart street"?
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:04   #380
Senior - BHPian

That will be "Ratha Veedhi" or "Ther Veedhi" in Tamil. And it can appropriately be called a chariot, not a cart!
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:06   #381
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Is it car street or "Cart street"?
Pic Courtesy Wiki Mapia. The yellow strip that looks like a race track is the Car Street.
Name:  Car Street.bmp
Views: 1986
Size:  297.6 KB

One can see the Anantheshwara temple on the right, Chandramouleeswara temple at the centre, the Krishna temple just north of the Chandramouleeswara temple and the Madhwa Teertha to the right of the krishna temple.

Now the car street is a no traffic zone!
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:25   #382
Team-BHP Support

Ladies & Gentlemen - Please note that the title of the thread has been changed, with help from my new friend "Jaggu" (not to be confused with my old friend 'Jagga').

Quote:
Seems like you went to the Car street quite early. Not a single shop is open!
Yeah, it was probably around 7:00 AM. We wanted to spend more time in Goa - we had only 4 days for the entire trip.

Quote:
This might be the reason for your personality .. .(no offense meant)
You should see the way I eat dinner at home - plate in hand sitting in the hall, watching TV and reading a magazine at the same time, and ocassionally checking emails on my mobile & chatting with family.

Quote:
Couldn't resist posting. In this pic you resemble your avatar
I thought I look like my avatar all the time
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:36   #383
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I thought I look like my avatar all the time
Except on two glaring differences. The Avatar is plumper than you. And you've hidden the tail that the avatar sports so gloriously!

I was in Sringeri and Udupi over the weekend. Was so tempted to drive down to bangalore after PM-ing you. Had to drop the idea as I don't like driving between Bangalore and Ranebennur on NH4.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:52   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Ladies & Gentlemen - Please note that the title of the thread has been changed
Oh I haven't noticed it...Just saw the 1,00,000 number in the title and clicked on the last page to view the updates ..:-)

Quote:
You should see the way I eat dinner at home - plate in hand sitting in the hall, watching TV and reading a magazine at the same time, and ocassionally checking emails on my mobile & chatting with family.
What to say ... !!! ...Though I wont eat like that, my personality is also some what closer to you...can say a 90 % match !

Thanks,
Srini...
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:02   #385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was in Sringeri and Udupi over the weekend. Was so tempted to drive down to bangalore after PM-ing you. Had to drop the idea as I don't like driving between Bangalore and Ranebennur on NH4.
hey Bangalore to Ranebennur stretch is not that bad - one can maintain an avg speed of 60 kmph - you just have to do some "slalom driving".

Then how did you reach Pune from Udupi? Drove down to Karwar - Hubli - Pune or via Agumbe - Shimoga - Chitradurga/Ranebennur?
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:17   #386
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
hey Bangalore to Ranebennur stretch is not that bad - one can maintain an avg speed of 60 kmph - you just have to do some "slalom driving".

Then how did you reach Pune from Udupi? Drove down to Karwar - Hubli - Pune or via Agumbe - Shimoga - Chitradurga/Ranebennur?
Udupi - Ankola - Yellapura - Kalghatgi - Dhammawad - Dharwad - Pune.

And it's not about the speed between Bangalore and Ranebennur. It's the speed breakers. A bit higher, I wouldn't need tissue paper for my bottom. The road will do the scraping
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:31   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Udupi - Ankola - Yellapura - Kalghatgi - Dhammawad - Dharwad - Pune.

And it's not about the speed between Bangalore and Ranebennur. It's the speed breakers. A bit higher, I wouldn't need tissue paper for my bottom. The road will do the scraping
Where are the Speedbreakers in that section ?
There's a 100 km section of incompleted and under construction bad roads between Chitradurga and Haveri.
Didn't find any speedbreakers during my DRIVE during Oct'09..Infact, i started jumping over all the speedbreakers, the moment i entered Bangalore.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:56   #388
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Where are the Speedbreakers in that section ?
There's a 100 km section of incompleted and under construction bad roads between Chitradurga and Haveri.
Didn't find any speedbreakers during my DRIVE during Oct'09..Infact, i started jumping over all the speedbreakers, the moment i entered Bangalore.
Driving on 16th and 17th of Jan wasn't so pleasant in that stretch. I had too many speedbreakers marking the construction zones between Bengaluru and tumkur. I lost count. things improved once I reached Chitradurga. But there was this section of NH4 which looks like a village road till ranebennur. Got stuck behind two huge trucks transporting train locomotives. Managed to overtake them only to stop at ranebennur to have tender coconut and those people managed to crawl ahead. Thank god, I hit 4 lane shortly!
The highway I adore - NH7 between Karur and Nellai.
The highway I hate - NH4 between Bangalore and Ranebennur.
Old 24th March 2010, 00:12   #389
Team-BHP Support

COASTAL KARNATAKA - GOA TRIP CONTD:

Pic 1: Watching Karthic parallel park his WagonR is an entertaining spectator sport. The car goes all over the place before finally parking itself.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0018.jpg

Pic 2: But it was seriously hot outside, and none of us were in the mood to take a dip in the sea at Marvanthe.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0016.jpg

Pic 3: So we ask our Palio to take a 'group photo' of the gang, and drive down to Murudeshwara.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00354.jpg

Pic 4: We reach Bhatkal town and are shocked to see tyres burning on the road, on the main highway. For those outside Karnataka - if you are looking forward to getting yourself stabbed, Bhatkal is the place to be. It is a communal cauldron. We drive slowly dodging burning tyres, when suddenly a police jeep overtakes us. We follow the jeep for a couple of minutes for safety. But when the jeep took a left turn, we gunned the accelerator and got out of Bhatkal at 120 kmph.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0021.jpg

Pic 5: We reach Murudeshwara and are welcomed by the tallest Shiva statue in the world. The hand carrying the dholak (right hand side and behind) had fallen off sometime later in 2006, and was rebuilt. If you do a Google image search for Murudeshwara Shiva statue, you will find a number of images of the statue with just 3 hands.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00359.jpg

Pic 6: This is 2006, and the Gopura (tallest in the world again) is still under construction. Although Murudeshwara is quite famous now, hardly anybody knew about this place in 2006.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00360.jpg

Pic 7, 8, 9 & 10:The Shiva statue still needed a paint job when we went there in 2006.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00364.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00366.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00371.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00372.jpg

Pic 11: Ravana handing over a ShivLinga to Lord Ganesha, disguised as a Brahmana. Check wikipedia for 'Murudeshwara' to read a rather interesting story about Gokarna, Murudeshwara & Surathkal (my home town).

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00362.jpg

Pic 12: You won't find more info about this incident in Wikipedia - but here you can see Karthic tickling a Rishi Muni. Anyway, if you look at these statues now in 2010, it is all covered up in a rather gaudy paint job.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00369.jpg
Old 24th March 2010, 05:12   #390
Team-BHP Support

Shiva also resembles you in some sense (And not you resembling Shiva)
A true Avatar!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks