Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 00:18   #481
Team-BHP Support

Well, I did go about enquiring at Burma Bazaar for a traditional pagadi with an in-built camera (just like coal miners wear helmets with in-built torch light).

The "cool photographs" above have been taken by a professional cameraman, others by my younger brother. Looking at the photos coming up later, one can easily make out which ones were taken by a professional guy.
Old 5th April 2010, 05:46   #482
Team-BHP Support

Well now we know your name.
Old 5th April 2010, 08:32   #483
Senior - BHPian

@smartcat - sorry man, I'm getting bored now ; will wait to read from you on your adventerous trips & pls don't let the curtain fall of with "The End" and finally the hero & heroien getting married & the joker cracking an unwanted joke like a typical movie.

Last edited by aargee : 5th April 2010 at 08:36.
Old 5th April 2010, 11:23   #484
Team-BHP Support

I'm taking a break from posting travelogues, because I got bored of it! I probably hit the writer's block and run out of inspiration.

But normal service will resume after a week

Quote:
Well now we know your name.
My intro thread on Team-BHP -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...m-bhp-fan.html
Old 5th April 2010, 13:55   #485
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm taking a break from posting travelogues, because I got bored of it! I probably hit the writer's block and run out of inspiration.

Don't think it's a case of writer's block or lack of inspiration. Guess, you got frightened looking at your wedding photos.

Jagga, Karthic and others, please help SmartCat get back to his groove.
Old 5th April 2010, 23:37   #486
BHPian

how to embed maps

Quote:

smartcat im having diff in knowing how to embed google maps in replies can you guide me.

pg
Old 6th April 2010, 01:02   #487
Team-BHP Support

pravdr, I don't know how to do that properly either. What I do is take a screenshot using the PRINT SCRN button, edit it using MSPAINT and save the image as jpeg.

THE BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING CONTD:

Pic 1 & 2: I have had enough sitting around the "fireplace" with nothing much happening. I threaten go on a Kashi Yatra. I carry an umbrella, a fan and my boriya bistar and try to leave the hall.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_5819.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_5822.jpg

Pic 3 & 4: My uncle stops me and assures me that he has found a girl for me, and that she is getting ready for the marriage. Reluctantly, I give up my plans to go to Kashi and decide to stay back for the wedding.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_5823.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_5994.jpg

Pic 5: I call my brother to the mandapa, and ask him to sneak into the bride's room, take some photos of Pallavi and show me how she looks.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0029.jpg

Pic 6: Unfortunately, he is stopped outside Pallavi's room by a few sentries. He requested one of them to go inside and a take a couple of photos. All I got to see was this -

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_5813.jpg

Pic 7: Now I'm sent to my room, with my brothers & sisters guarding the room's entrance (so that I don't go out to see the bride). Meanwhile, Pallavi comes out of her room, in a resplendent blue saree. I bribed the sentries guarding me, and I was allowed to take a small peek.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0056.jpg

Pic 8: I had specifically asked Pallavi not wear any make-up for the wedding (because women look ugly with make-up), but it looks like the beauty parlour girl had applied atleast one coating. Anyway, with her family sitting around the "fireplace", their Pandit started reciting in Sanskrit.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0041.jpg

Pic 9: My parents gift her the Dhaarey Saree, and ask her to wear it for the marriage.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0074.jpg

Pic 10: Oddly, we are then supposed to exit the marriage hall, and come to the entrance where me & my family are welcomed by Pallavi's family. My future FIL holds my hand and invites me inside - waah waah! I begin to wonder if I'll get the same royal treatment whenever I go to Pallavi's home.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_5898.jpg
Old 6th April 2010, 01:42   #488
BANNED

^^^^ Are these rituals really performed in all your marriages?

Looks damn good, It is really amazing to be dressed like a king and act like too..!
Old 6th April 2010, 09:45   #489
Senior - BHPian

Same rituals are performed in Tambrahm weddings too! I see a bit of difference only in the attire of the groom and FIL - especially the turban - we don't have one. Also the upper garment is worn a bit differently. The bride also will wear the "Muhurat" saree differently, but you have not yet come to that bit, so I will wait and see. And oh, it will be the Nadhaswaram instead of the Shenoy/Sax!

Nice pics and very interesting narration Ashwin! Bring them on, it really is a welcome interlude in the travelogue!

Last edited by Gansan : 6th April 2010 at 09:46.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:08   #490
BHPian

Smartcat -- Looks like the wedding happened in Bangalore style.
Mangalore weddings would have the bridegroom wearing a different kind off turban. And also, the bride would have a white shawl on the saree.

Great log till now!
Old 6th April 2010, 10:18   #491
Team-BHP Support

Do agree with you. Last time I saw one of the likes was in Birur. It was fun taking the Jan Shatabi to Birur and enjoying the full day with nothing else but eating and strolling.

Though Mr Sun was heating at his best.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:28   #492
BANNED

Payal Chapalls!!!! Another sign that one is in the Konkan Area.

OT: When my dad was in Bangalore, he didnt like the funky Fila chappals I have. The next time he came, he got along 2 pairs of Payal - one for my wife, one for me.

Last edited by Spitfire : 6th April 2010 at 11:34.
Old 6th April 2010, 12:49   #493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Are these rituals really performed in all your marriages? Looks damn good, It is really amazing to be dressed like a king and act like too..!
According to our Pujari - many ages ago, marriages in India were mostly fun and games with lots of intentionally silly events. But nowadays, marriages are mostly a serious affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Same rituals are performed in Tambrahm weddings too! I see a bit of difference only in the attire of the groom and FIL - especially the turban - we don't have one. Also the upper garment is worn a bit differently.
In Tamil weddings, I think the groom always wears a "Peter England" or a "Louis Philippe" shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Smartcat -- Looks like the wedding happened in Bangalore style. Mangalore weddings would have the bridegroom wearing a different kind off turban. And also, the bride would have a white shawl on the saree.
How sacrilegious! This was a Mangalore style (maybe perhaps Surathkal style) wedding. I guess there are different customs in Mangalore itself. And my wife just pointed out that what I'm wearing over my head is a Peta, not a Pagadi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Payal Chapalls!!!! Another sign that one is in the Konkan Area. OT: When my dad was in Bangalore, he didnt like the funky Fila chappals I have. The next time he came, he got along 2 pairs of Payal - one for my wife, one for me.
Those are called 'Payal Chappals'? We call them 'Hawaii Chappals' while Americans call them 'Flip Flops'.
Old 6th April 2010, 12:55   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Tamil weddings, I think the groom always wears a "Peter England" or a "Louis Philippe" shirt.
Ha ha! In fact he wears just his "birthday shirt" and some garlands!

And the pujari is right about the fun and games! In those days the bride and groom would have been but mere children!

Last edited by Gansan : 6th April 2010 at 12:57.
Old 6th April 2010, 13:01   #495
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The Kashi yatra bit is the most depressing. Even now I tell all my goddamn relatives that I'd have been happier in Kashi.
Sometimes, my wife agrees as well.

Irrespective of where you are from, you always get stopped before going to Kashi and drag to the altar like a sacrificial lamb!

Then all that follows is

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks