Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 12:01   #406
BANNED

Cabo De Rama, it actually means the fort of Ram, the Hindu god. The fort is more then 500 years old. And it is believed that Ram and Sita visited this place.

When studying in Margao, this place was our favourite haunt. We used to bunk classes and ride all the way here to spend the whole day doing nothing. The beach down is beautiful too.

Brings back memories, I can picturise me and my friends sitting in that gap swinging our legs looking at the sea.

Its nothing great but the serenity and calm of this place is so alluring.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:01   #407
Senior - BHPian

@Smartcat
Looks like you will be more comfortable sitting on the rear seat of the bike to operate the controls. Anyone riding double with you will have to sit in front, though!
Old 26th March 2010, 12:04   #408
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Srini, we are expecting a baby this August - so all our highway trips have been put on hold for now. Hope to restart our trips later this year. Meanwhile, I'm reliving all our highway travel moments through this blog.

Yes I agree. And now I'm looking forward to travelling with some of my new team-bhp buddies, sometime in the future.

smartcart, let us know definitely when you guys start to travel again - its time you come to this side.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:21   #409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Cabo De Rama, it actually means the fort of Ram, the Hindu god. The fort is more then 500 years old. And it is believed that Ram and Sita visited this place.
Oh Ok, I didn't know about Rama/Sita bit. It is actually pronounced Kabji Rama by the locals. Does Kabji mean "Fort" in Hindi?

Quote:
The beach down is beautiful too.
So you guys trekked down to the beach too? Our pics coming up in the next installment. It was not exactly a beach as such, but rocks, pebbles and the sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@Smartcat
Looks like you will be more comfortable sitting on the rear seat of the bike to operate the controls. Anyone riding double with you will have to sit in front, though!
hehe but no, I found the CBZ very comfortable to use - the gear shift was easy to operate too (My ride back home was Yamaha RXG that time). The Pulsar almost killed me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
smartcart, let us know definitely when you guys start to travel again - its time you come to this side.
I'm already doing online research on car child seats and baby milk warmers

And finally, let me congratulate myself and pat my own back for finally figuring out how to use the "multi-quote" feature.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:25   #410
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm already doing online research on car child seats and baby milk warmers
Aha, Some one's entering my territory.
Guess this weekend I have to complete my travelogue. Because the last few pages will read about the accessories I carried for my baby, including the car seats and baby milk warmers!
Old 26th March 2010, 13:29   #411
BHPian

Quote:
We decided to sell petrol to Karthic at Rs. 500/litre, which he thought was a reasonable price - but he promised to pay on Feb 30th. We agreed.

A few KiHiHiHiHi KiHiHiHiHi's later, the Activa roared to life.
You're amazing.

Old 26th March 2010, 14:05   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Car street is the South Canara/ Udupi district name given to the road around the temple where the temple car (ther) goes. You see those two big cars (ther) standing outside Krishna temple. That goes around the temple (rather in this case, around Anantheshwara and Chandramouleeswara temple). In Kannada, the car street is called as Ratha Beedi. (beedi as in Beedhi and not to be mistaken as younger brother of cigarette).
Thanks MX6; that explains

Quote:
That will be "Ratha Veedhi" or "Ther Veedhi" in Tamil. And it can appropriately be called a chariot, not a cart!
Yes sir; Thanks for the explanation, I got it - Theradi Veedhi.
Old 26th March 2010, 14:14   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Thanks MX6; that explains

Yes sir; Thanks for the explanation, I got it - Theradi Veedhi.

No, Theradi Veedhi means the street where the chariot will normally be stationed, when not in use. Though this will form part of the four designated Ther veedhis (car streets) through which the chariot will circumambulate the temple during festivals. Hence you will usually see north car street, East car street etc. around famous temples!
Old 26th March 2010, 14:34   #414
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, Theradi Veedhi means the street where the chariot will normally be stationed, when not in use. Though this will form part of the four designated Ther veedhis (car streets) through which the chariot will circumambulate the temple during festivals. Hence you will usually see north car street, East car street etc. around famous temples!
The usage of Theradi veedhi has lost it's true significance. We now freely interchange ratha veedhi and theradi veedhi. Etymologically, theradi means the foot of the temple car. symbolically it can mean where the car is stationed. And ratha veedhi is where it circumambulates the temple.
It's so mixed up that we even have a song going Theradi veedhiyil, devadhai vandha. In true terms goddess doesn't come in theradi veedhi. But then, languages have changed as usage has changed. sorry for the OT.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:30   #415
Senior - BHPian

The OT is teaching me good Thamizh & Thanks to you Gansan sir & MX6; I got the clear picture.
Old 27th March 2010, 00:29   #416
Team-BHP Support

COASTAL KARNATAKA - GOA TRIP CONTD:

Pic 1: We notice that there is an almost invisible trekking route right down to the sea. Cameras in the bag, we trek all the way down the hill. It wasn't exactly a very difficult trek, but at lots of places, we had to use all our 4 limbs.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0113.jpg

Pic 2, 3 & 4: Our rocky beach, below the Cabo De Rama Fort. After checking our camera LCD screen, we realize that what we saw in Pic 1 was not where we finallly ended up after the trek

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0094.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0100.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0104.jpg

Pic 5: The sea was extremely rough, powerful enough to throw us around. Since there were rocks everywhere, we decide to sit on the shore with our feet in the water. Jagga is the bravest. He goes the farthest and yells at us to join him. We obviously refuse.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0095.jpg

Pic 6, 7 & 8: Bored sitting alone on those rocks, Jagga comes and joins us. But like a salt water crocodile, he pulls me into the water by my legs. Karthic holds my hand tightly and refuses to let go - and my parents wonder why I'm so thin and tall (6 feet 2 inches).

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0096.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0101.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0103.jpg

Pic 9: Mother Nature ends the contest by sending a large wave at us. Jagga had kept his wallet inside his pants, close to the seashore. His pants go underwater. Muhaha again.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0108.jpg

Pic 10: After drying the credit & debit cards (which were unfortunately water proof), we trek back to the Fort. Next destination - our secret beach which I had mentioned in my previous Goa travelogue. A thin sandy stretch of the "secret beach" is visible from the Cabo De Rama Fort.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0122.jpg
Old 27th March 2010, 07:34   #417
Senior - BHPian

Very nice pics. BTW what does Cabo de rama mean? I thought Cabo meant captain in Portuguese?
Old 27th March 2010, 07:36   #418
Team-BHP Support

Trek down the hill, secret beaches. You need to direct Pirates of the Caribbean part IV. So what was hidden in the secret beach?
Old 27th March 2010, 10:51   #419
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Trek down the hill, secret beaches. You need to direct Pirates of the Caribbean part IV. So what was hidden in the secret beach?
Jagga's wallet with his waterproof credit cards.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:08   #420
Team-BHP Support

At the secret beaches, we found serenity, tranquility, serendipity and other big words usually found in the Oxford Dictionary

In most of our trips, there is atleast one amongst us who takes lots of candid pics - from me asking for Rs. 500 from Karthic (page 27, second set, pic 4) to Jagga pulling my leg (page 28, pic 8). I couldn't have possibly recollected these little incidents between 2004 - 2010 without the pics.

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th March 2010 at 11:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks