Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:17   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

That picture in post #107 is worth a thousand words.

What can I say? I only hope more people are inspired by your example and start the voyage of self-discovery!
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:50   #107
BHPian

I am really impressed with your journey, Would take immense guts and a true motivation to start such a journey. leaving your family and the materialistic pleasures of life would be the hardest things to leave behind. I salute you.

If you happen to cross Mangalore at some point of your journey, Please do PM me. You can stay at my place. And can arrange a job for you.

All the best and keep posting.
Yamaniac
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:18   #108
BHPian

Hey Roadinc,

When I started reading this thread (and had read a couple of posts by you), I was feeling - This is one of the stupidest mistakes one can make - leaving a well paying job to just "Roam around and explore" with just a small sum of money with him? In fact, I was very unsure if I read correctly when you wrote you would be earning on the go! All this sounded so fancyful and dreamy and something that happens only in the movies.

As I went ahead and read the entire thread, I can make out that you are one of the gutsiest persons I have ever heard about and even though you say you have no motive while you roam around, I believe deep in your heart you are satisfying probably your deepest ambition.

Hats off to you buddy, and I, from the deepest of my heart, wish you all the luck in your journey.

Godspeed!
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:05   #109
BHPian

Wish you many more Happy Miles

Merwyn,

You have rightly pointed that the wheels need not roll in only one direction but can roll in many directions! and you have rightfully showcased one more dimension for life - The biker forever dimension! Hats off!

Wish you many more happy miles in the small human life! (looks like the bug has caught me too!)

Though I have enjoyed riding many miles alone, I would never have the guts to enjoy such an adventure!

Now that you have Quit your temporary job, what next? Himachal?

DO shout at me bro, when you are landing somewhere in and around Madras, the birthplace of your machine!

Cheers,
Ajay

Last edited by ajay2233 : 2nd September 2010 at 17:06.
Old 2nd September 2010, 23:13   #110
BHPian

The Road My Home Forever...

Hello people!!!

So... here goes the update for the day...

I got to be a cabbie today – my second job on the road!!! :-D

Well, an acquaintance I met in Chandigarh needed his folks to be dropped at Beas, around 200 kms from Chandigarh. Since this acquaintance knew I was looking for ways to earn a little money, he called my host Manav to check if I’d be willing to drive his Indigo. I agreed.

So we set off post noon, I guess it was 2 O’clock. It took us 4 hours not because of the roads. The highway is excellent, just that we made two stops.

The ladies are visiting a Gurudwara in Beas where devotees volunteer to serve the Gurudwara by way of working in the garden, in the kitchen and so on. Their food and stay is taken care of.

Beas is a beautiful township with well marked roads and well maintained gardens. I hope to visit Beas again, some day. Also now that aunty has invited me and offered to show me around Jalandhar and Beas

A journey of 200 kms and doing what I love -driving (love for riding stays) I earned 400 bucks. Not bad at all. Come to think of it, this money could take care of almost 8 litres of fuel

I’m now on my way back to Chandigarh in the bus and have 25 kms to go.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th September 2010 at 16:22. Reason: 2 smileys max per post - please read the rules. Thanks.
Roadinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:14   #111
BHPian

Dude!! Hats off to you really!!! To have the guts to experience life in this manner!!
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:34   #112
BHPian

Roadinc, What's your name and where are you really from?

Well you can answer all. Where were you born? Where were you brought up and where did you work?

Am sure you would be feeling like a celebrity already and making a lot of people want to look for stuff . I get the same feeling which you have, after intake of the stuff. Only difference is, even though you are on a bullet, feels like flying. Just kidding

Do let us know about your life and what made you take such a decision. Without that, this never ending travelogue is always incomplete. (even if it is complete)

As you would have realised, your Bangalore stay is going to be a long one because you have to give all of us a company (MANDATORY) and let us know more about the flying spirit.

Also do tell us how much you earn per job and how much you spent unless you think it is too personal.

Further and beyond - Why this? Doesn't it contradict "Road my home forever"?

Last edited by Googleman : 3rd September 2010 at 12:51.
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:19   #113
Senior - BHPian

Very Nice thread. Have been following this very closely. I wish you all the best and will keep looking for regular updates.

If you ever visit Agra - you have a place to stay and a friend here

Just rating it a 5 star.
Old 4th September 2010, 14:38   #114
BHPian

I only pray to god that whatever you are knowingly or unknowingly seeking through this sojourn may be realised. And you remain the same person that has started this thread even after 25 yrs. (Not physically)

Most importantly convey my heartfelt regards to you GF. As far as I am concerned her understanding your choice and still supporting you and remaining with you is far greater than your choice. And I have to add it is women like this that make this country special not the material things.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 4th September 2010 at 14:42. Reason: add info
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2010, 19:51   #115
BHPian

Well, some work on the bike and enough money for a tank of petrol. Well are you right now rolling to Himachal?
Old 8th September 2010, 16:57   #116
BHPian

The Road My Home Forever

I started this journey on July 21st and I was headed to Himachal Pradesh, that was all I knew. When I’d reach, how I’d manage finances, which place I’d visit on the way or where would I stay was undecided. I was aware of the avenues but whether they’d work out or not was uncertain.

It’s been almost 50 days and during this time I’ve exhausted most of my money. In the interim, I passed through Gujarat, Rajasthan and Delhi which were covered during the initial five days of the trip. In Delhi, I had some commitments to fulfil which kept me in the capital for three weeks. When I reached Chandigarh I took up two jobs. Both my jobs brought in a humbling experience. The money that it brought in could have taken me further than Chandigarh. This is when an important turn of event occurred - “provisions of the road.”

Many Team BHPians poured in with their suggestions while I was looking for sustainability on the move. So here’s the good news...I’ve got a freelance writing assignment with Cleartrip.com for which I had to rush back to Mumbai for a meeting.

This weekend I'm heading to Bangalore with my girl friend for a joyous Eid with family and friends. A few days in Bangalore as my website is getting revamped and then I’m back on track towards Devbhoomi
Old 9th September 2010, 00:58   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
I am really impressed with your journey, Would take immense guts and a true motivation to start such a journey. leaving your family and the materialistic pleasures of life would be the hardest things to leave behind. I salute you.

If you happen to cross Mangalore at some point of your journey, Please do PM me. You can stay at my place. And can arrange a job for you.

All the best and keep posting.
Yamaniac

Thanks buddy I did a part of my schooling from Mangalore. My family still lives in Udupi district.

I am working on a model to sustain on the move which should help me focus on the road while also being able to fulfill my commitments towards family and loved ones.

We will surely meet when I enroute dakshin kannada. Since my early days I've wanted to cover the western ghats around agumbe, kudremukha and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Roadinc, What's your name and where are you really from?

Well you can answer all. Where were you born? Where were you brought up and where did you work?

Am sure you would be feeling like a celebrity already and making a lot of people want to look for stuff . I get the same feeling which you have, after intake of the stuff. Only difference is, even though you are on a bullet, feels like flying. Just kidding

Do let us know about your life and what made you take such a decision. Without that, this never ending travelogue is always incomplete. (even if it is complete)

As you would have realised, your Bangalore stay is going to be a long one because you have to give all of us a company (MANDATORY) and let us know more about the flying spirit.

Also do tell us how much you earn per job and how much you spent unless you think it is too personal.

Further and beyond - Why this? Doesn't it contradict "Road my home forever"?

Ok here is my CV

My Name is Merwyn Coutinho.

Was born in Mumbai and raised there till the age of 13.
After that I moved to Mangalore, where I completed my schooling.
Soon after I completed my 10th I began working. My first 'job on paper' was with a direct marketing. This job lasted 3 years. Following which I joined a charitable trust in Mangalore as a program executive where I worked on their core projects - ' 'Education for excellence' and 'Women's empowerment in the rural sector'. After completion of two years I was transferred to Goa to set up their marketing unit. In Goa I also tried my hands on business but the two year stint didn't end well and I was forced to wind up my set up.

This brought me to Bangalore where I started working in an outbound call center "Iseva', and then moved into training and quality vertical. At the end of two years I joined Accenture as an quality analyst. Here I honed my business and analytical skills and moved to corporate quality with Six sigma and COPC certification under my belt. i worked with Accenture for 7 yrs and resigned as a Quality lead at Mumbai to persue my love for the road.

My first job at Cafe Oz covered my food expense for that weekend and got me little money by which I repaired the bullet. The second job as a cabbie got me 400 bucks which wasn't bad I guess

My latest post mentions that I've found a way to sustain my travel atleast for a few weeks (refering to my freelance writing assignment with Cleartrip).

'Further and Beyond' is a vision that travels along the road, a way of experiencing the known and explore the complexities of existence. 'The road my home forever' simply conveys that the road no matter where it takes me will be 'my home' and 'the road' will help me go further and beyond
Roadinc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2010, 18:55   #118
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Someone wrote in with the following note:

Quote:
Hi I am not a car enthusiast.I occasionally surf the site because my brother - a car lover - has it as a speed dial in the browser. During such random searching I came across the post "The Road My Home Forever.." and am hooked to it. I always wanted to embark on such a journey and one day will definitely do so. I want to dedicate a song to the poster. "Long Nights" from the Movie "Into The Wild". Its an amazing song and reflects the journey. The link to the song

YouTube - Into The Wild "Long Nights" Eddie Vedder Unofficial Video

I would appreciate If someone can post it on my behalf. Thank you.
Old 10th September 2010, 11:33   #119
BHPian

Dear Merwyn,
Welcome to Bangalore-I hope you spend quality time here with your girl. Wife and I are off on a short trip to Chikmangalur. When you are driving through here please PM so that I can have the pleasure of meeting you.
Old 10th September 2010, 20:13   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone wrote in with the following note:
Thanks for the video its truly inspiring. I'm gonna share it with friends.

Wishing you all the luck to get on the road soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear Merwyn,
Welcome to Bangalore-I hope you spend quality time here with your girl. Wife and I are off on a short trip to Chikmangalur. When you are driving through here please PM so that I can have the pleasure of meeting you.
Hey Jude thanks for your wishes. Have a safe drive. Will mail you my contact details, will surely meet up in Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks