Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 13:19   #16
BHPian

The Road My Home Forever...

After a night stop at Kamrej the following morning we (Rao my friend and I) rode towards Udaipur where we stayed for two days.

The narrow lanes that lead to Jagdish Mandir also take you to Lalghat, a peaceful abbot for sadhus who rest by the lake under the shelter of this old temple. The receding waters tell the story of a city that was built around Lake Pichola. At a distance is the Lake Palace and Jag Mandir which almost seem to give an illusion as if afloat.

The ambiance takes you back in time and one can't help but wonder about the Kings,their Palaces and the architecture in the Kingdom's hay days. Times change. Now the place has a different story to tell.

Its my second visit to Udaipur. The first time was during a road trip from Mumbai to Rajasthan, last year. Then too I stayed at a guest house at the banks of lake Pichola. Though its my second trip, I see a new side of the ghat. It never fails to mesmerise me.

After our two day ‘tripped out’ state in Udaipur, Rao and me were back on the road heading towards Delhi. We stopped after riding 40 kms, near a small settlement on NH8 where a prominent temple Eklingji overlooks the highway. That’s where we found the bhaang shop (we were scouting for). At this place on NH8 bhaang is sold openly and yes it is legal!

While we perched ourselves at the bhaang shop for a taste of ‘Bholenath Ka Prasad’ there came a Pujari who almost posed to be a local guide. The video showcases his dramatic narration of the history of Eklingji Temple located near Udaipur city. At the end of his storytelling session he promptly asked for his ‘Dakshina’. Well, I did give him ‘Dakshina’ – a glass of Bhaang!

I call him the 'Storyteller... by the way.'

Old 18th August 2010, 13:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

you sound like the monk who sold his ferrari.

only difference is here the monk did not sell his bullet and he is already in India.

may be a stupid question ... what made you take this decision , other than the desire to be free and moving.

i foresee a lifelong travelogue here !!, am i correct ?
Old 18th August 2010, 13:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Hey Roadinc, great and tough decision that you have made! I wonder how you plan to be on road for long since you said you just have 10K in your pockets. Hope you have some reserves to carry this epic journey for long.
Well.. I am already running out of money !!! But this is another uncertainty I'm open to. Then...it would be time for me to find some job for a day or a week or a month before I move on. So, I will ride as far as I can, find a job that will get me money to ride ahead :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
you sound like the monk who sold his ferrari.

only difference is here the monk did not sell his bullet and he is already in India.

may be a stupid question ... what made you take this decision , other than the desire to be free and moving.

i foresee a lifelong travelogue here !!, am i correct ?

The experience of the uncertainties of the road is more comforting and exciting than the certian future one would have in our so-called daily lives.

I dont know what lies ahead but I sure do know that this is going to be one long travelogue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Awesome start!! Are you still traveling or have settled back to boring life before starting this travelogue? Don't keep us waiting and keep going.

PS: Could you do one detailed post about the gear you were/are carrying with you?
Thank you I'm currently in Delhi gearing to ride up to the mountains. Well, there is no settling for me. I'm going to be on the move forever...

Also, the post on the gear I'm carrying, its coming up. Cheers!

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2010 at 16:54. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Roadinc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 14:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadinc View Post
Well.. I am already running out of money !!! But this is another uncertainty I'm open to. Then...it would be time for me to find some job for a day or a week or a month before I move on. So, I will ride as far as I can, find a job that will get me money to ride ahead
Well !! What can I say! You are too courageous and determined. I could never think of this happening in India! All the best mate!
Old 18th August 2010, 17:34   #20
BHPian

As I gear up to ride up to the mountains, here is a flashback of the time I bid adiós to a place I called home - Mumbai.

The first 1,500 kms: Mumbai-Gujarat-Udaipur-Delhi.

(I've skipped some pics clicked on the way to Gujarat as they have been shared in my earlier posts)

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8527.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8525.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8557.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-100_0023.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8610.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8624.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8644.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8672.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8675.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8727.jpg

Name:  DSC_8801.JPG
Views: 7493
Size:  187.0 KB

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8736.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8778.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8780.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8832.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8857.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8917.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8930.jpg

Name:  DSC_8957.JPG
Views: 7284
Size:  155.0 KB

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_9080.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_9059.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_9081.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_9071.jpg

The Uncertainty of the road...

The Road My Home Forever...-100_0015.jpg

But the wheels have to move on...

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8562.jpg
Roadinc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 19:15   #21
BHPian

Amazing. Wish you good luck and Hope you will get what you are looking for?

Thats all I can say
Old 19th August 2010, 08:09   #22
BHPian

Deli’cious experience!

In the past few weeks that I’ve been in Delhi, I’ve come across some interesting people who earn their livelihood from the road... Here are some captures of such lives...

This cycle walla for all the energy he put in the 3 kms journey with me and him together, charged just Rs 20, a humble earning…yet again its life on the road!

An innovative chai walla who ‘dispenses’ chai from a coffee vending machine. Cheers to that!

....And the mouth-watering Kabab walla outside Jama Masjid during the holy month of Ramadhan.

As for my ride forward...the weather forecast has clouded my mind...should I be a rider in the storm? (heavy downpour in this case) ;-)
Roadinc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2010, 10:48   #23
BHPian

Hey nice snaps. Hope you manage to do this for as long as you crave it.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am finding it difficult to understand. You will spend all you life on roads?
I mean till the end? Maybe my mind has not opened up to that level, but what will you do spending all your life on road? And how will you earn to eat? Silly questions but I can't help asking!!
Old 19th August 2010, 11:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Roadinc. This is your tribute to freedom. The way our ancestors lived. Moving from place to place. Finding food/cultivating food wheverever they stopped. Taking in the new places that they stopped by; for their temporary stopover. You are doing it in the modern day. Ride, stop, enjoy what you see on the way, ride, stop, earn a living to take you further, ride, stop .... a never ending cycle.

I salute your spirit and courage. And you are doing it all alone.

-Biju
Old 19th August 2010, 16:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Hey Roadinc, great and tough decision that you have made! I wonder how you plan to be on road for long since you said you just have 10K in your pockets. Hope you have some reserves to carry this epic journey for long.

Please refrain from using back to back postings while replying, rather, use the 'QUOTE +' option.

i am wondering too as to how could one actually decide to travel forever with just 10K in the pants ... eager to know if you got any backup plans/options for money!!! gud luck

Will watch this thread closely ...

All the best

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2010 at 16:55. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 19th August 2010, 16:31   #27
Team-BHP Support

Nice! See even in on your first post, I mentioned, this is a TL than an intro!
Nice narration. Bordering on the philosophical mod but with the firm grip of the road!
Old 19th August 2010, 21:58   #28
BHPian

All I can say is WOW buddy. It takes guts and a lot of it. I've dreamt of doing long road trips - a few weeks, so small comapred to yours but can't get the guts to do it. I'm always able to find an excuse to not do it and none to do it. I wish you all luck friend and drive safe.
Old 20th August 2010, 00:12   #29
BHPian

No intent to ‘settle’ back into the systematic life style. My settlement is mobile...

I have my 1980 standard bullet for company on the road
...fitted with metal side carriers.

The Road My Home Forever...-aminahs-saved40.jpg

A set of two cramster bags placed on the carriers, stuffed with clothes (summer and warm wear like thermals, jacket), a poncho (for protection from rain), trekking pants, medicine kit and toiletries, army knife, compass, bike tools, spark plugs, cables, extra tyre tube.

The Road My Home Forever...-gear-2.jpg

One bag pack with a mini laptop (I sold my 14 inch laptop before I left and got myself a mini Samsung laptop), an external DVD reader/writer, one hard disk, an internet data card, one tent lamp, one head lamp, trekking pole.

One ultra light weight three season tent (3.9 kgs) from Quechua.

One sub zero degree sleeping bag that weighs 500 gms.

A pair of water proof shoes from Hi tech that weigh less than 500 gms.

One Kodak HD pocket video camera that can be used to shoot underwater as well.

A mobile phone with GPRS activated.

The Road My Home Forever...-gear-4.jpg

And I’m all set to hit the road

Just wanted to share... Over the years when I was deciding over living life on the move forever...with no attachments, living a minimalistic life so that there’s no extraaaaa baggage on my bike not many believed me or what I dreamed of. But now that I've quit my 10 year old job and I’m on the road with just 10,000 bucks in my pocket and a ride that will go on and go.... its a nostalgic feeling when you see your brand sticker on your bike "Further and Beyond". It may not mean anything to people around but to me it’s my dream of being on the move forever and ever... a ride to further and beyond...

The video captures the time when the bike needed its first repair on this trip, which marks the beginning of my endeavour. The moment when the mechanic was riding towards me after the test ride...I saw my dream being realised.

I call it the moment when the mechanic went further and beyond...
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
All I can say is WOW buddy. It takes guts and a lot of it. I've dreamt of doing long road trips - a few weeks, so small comapred to yours but can't get the guts to do it. I'm always able to find an excuse to not do it and none to do it. I wish you all luck friend and drive safe.
Thank you, all I can say is... I am going to live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice! See even in on your first post, I mentioned, this is a TL than an intro!
Nice narration. Bordering on the philosophical mod but with the firm grip of the road!

Thank you, I am glad it has turned out this way
Roadinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2010, 00:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I am finding it difficult to understand. You will spend all you life on roads?
I mean till the end? Maybe my mind has not opened up to that level, but what will you do spending all your life on road? And how will you earn to eat? Silly questions but I can't help asking!!

What will i do spending my life on the road ? Well i will experience!!! Experience all that the road will bring along. The intention is to experience everything that existence has to offer, for which movement is essential.

Movement will provide ways to move further and beyond...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks