Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2015, 09:16   #1936
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
They will be less durable than Earth 1.
I doubt that. I have found XM2 to deliver big on mileage and robustness during the 20K KM that I have done on them. The tread wear is very controlled and its not susceptible to punctures. My short review of them on the Swift here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3606804
Old 11th January 2015, 09:38   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I doubt that. I have found XM2 to deliver big on mileage and robustness during the 20K KM that I have done on them. The tread wear is very controlled and its not susceptible to punctures. My short review of them on the Swift here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3606804
Sir, I definitely agree with your observations. Michelins are slightly softer than other manufacturers. The sidewall damages and punctures are more evident at a later stage of tyre life. I don't expect a major durability difference between the two but I think Earth 1 might be one notch ahead. Earth 1 users can comment as well. I might be wrong, who knows.
Old 11th January 2015, 13:24   #1938
BHPian

I would here agree with aston that yes the michelins do become puncture prone in the later stages. I used them on my honda jazz for about 65k + kms but in the later stages they had become puncture prone. Also i had a blowout on the highway at around 20k kms stage when i hit a pothole at around 80km/hr. But still they did perform reasonably well for around 60k kms.
Finally i upgraded to continental max mc5, been using them for about a month now and have been very satisfied. They are a worthy alternative to michelins.
Old 12th January 2015, 06:55   #1939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
I don't expect a major durability difference between the two but I think Earth 1 might be one notch ahead. Earth 1 users can comment as well.
Earth 1 is a new tyre, so we will have to wait a bit to come across the actual user reviews of high milers. I do hope the Earth 1 is a worthy alternative to XM2. We don't want the French to raise the price just like that do we? And drop that sir please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
I used them on my honda jazz for about 65k + kms but in the later stages they had become puncture prone. Also i had a blowout on the highway at around 20k kms stage when i hit a pothole at around 80km/hr. But still they did perform reasonably well for around 60k kms
65k is pushing any tyre a little too much. And true, any tyre will become a lot more damage prone in the later stages. And blowouts on highway after hitting a pothole depends on a lot of things, your luck too matters.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 13:41   #1940

Hello fellow BHPians,

I had upgraded my 2013 Swift Dzire's tyres within a week from the delivery of the vehicle in September 2013. The stock tyres were 165/80R14 JKs which I upgraded to Goodyear Eagle F1 195/60R15.

I paid Rs. 23000/- for 4 tyres and 4 alloy wheels in exchange of my stock JKs and rims(including fitting).I have completed 20,000kms with just one puncture. They do provide a comfortable ride and I have not seen any considerable dip in the fuel economy.Good tyres, slightly noisy but hey! what the hell, when they look this good.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20150119_095736_hdr_fotor.jpg  

the.phantom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 15:06   #1941
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

My cousin is looking for a new set of tyres for his Swift VDi running on 15" Alloys.

His drive is primarily highways (60%), and the balance split over city driving, and poor roads. Looking for a set of grippy (high speed, dry, wet, and braking performance too!), and durable (tough, with a good life) tyres. In the past, he used the famous Bridgestone Potenza GIII's and was very impressed with them, and wants tyres that have a similar character.

Thoughts and tips would be much appreciated!
Old 4th April 2015, 09:24   #1942
Senior - BHPian

Tyre Upgrade for the Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hi Guys,

My cousin is looking for a new set of tyres for his Swift VDi running on 15" Alloys.

His drive is primarily highways (60%), and the balance split over city driving, and poor roads. Looking for a set of grippy (high speed, dry, wet, and braking performance too!), and durable (tough, with a good life) tyres. In the past, he used the famous Bridgestone Potenza GIII's and was very impressed with them, and wants tyres that have a similar character.

Thoughts and tips would be much appreciated!

In 195/60/15 you have a lot options to choose from, but from my personal experience with ZLO, i found them to very good. I am currently using my 3rd set of zlo. The grip levels are very good and the tyres are perfect for Indian road conditions .

Last edited by Schoudhury : 4th April 2015 at 09:28.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 13:18   #1943
BHPian

Hi guys,

I'm using 2013 Swift VDi with 165/80 R14 stock tyres. Now, I'm planning to upsize my tyres.

Currently looking at 185/70 R14 or 195/70 R14 sizes.

Can you please post your suggestions on size and brand of tyres please? Also, what do you think of Falken tyres? Getting them very cheaper compared to Michelin or Yokos.
Old 12th April 2015, 14:20   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm using 2013 Swift VDi with 165/80 R14 stock tyres. Now, I'm planning to upsize my tyres.

Currently looking at 185/70 R14 or 195/70 R14 sizes.

Can you please post your suggestions on size and brand of tyres please? Also, what do you think of Falken tyres? Getting them very cheaper compared to Michelin or Yokos.
195/70R14 is a wrong size. The correct size is 195/65R14. Even in that size, I'm not sure if the 5" steel rims can accommodate the 195 tyres. You might have to buy 5.5" or 6" alloys if you want to go beyond 185.

I'm using 185/70R14 Michelins on both my swifts, one on the stock rims and the other on 5.5" alloys and I'm fully satisfied. I have found the grip levels to be adequate with 185.

Coming to the brands, I'm happy with the Michelins though I've heard good reviews about Yokohama and Bridgestone too. For a lower budget, ZLO and Apollo are also good options.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 15:20   #1945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
195/70R14 is a wrong size. The correct size is 195/65R14. Even in that size, I'm not sure if the 5" steel rims can accommodate the 195 tyres. You might have to buy 5.5" or 6" alloys if you want to go beyond 185.

I'm using 185/70R14 Michelins on both my swifts, one on the stock rims and the other on 5.5" alloys and I'm fully satisfied. I have found the grip levels to be adequate with 185.

Coming to the brands, I'm happy with the Michelins though I've heard good reviews about Yokohama and Bridgestone too. For a lower budget, ZLO and Apollo are also good options.
Thank you for your Gyaan. I almost went ahead and bought the 195/70 size. The aspect of rim size has totally skipped my mind. Now that I got this clarity, I would stick to 185s.

Coming to brands, do you have any idea about the performance of Falkens?
Old 12th April 2015, 19:12   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your Gyaan. I almost went ahead and bought the 195/70 size. The aspect of rim size has totally skipped my mind. Now that I got this clarity, I would stick to 185s.

Coming to brands, do you have any idea about the performance of Falkens?
For Falkens, I would request others to comment. If I were you, I won't go with them but stick to Michelin/Yoko etc.

What I would really suggest you is to go for 195/60R15 size.
If you have 14" steel rims, all better as they didn't cost you anything. As we know, 195 can be accommodated by a 5.5" wide rim which your's aren't. I suggest that you get Honda City's 15" rims. Yes, they are 5.5" wide, so size 195mm is possible, an they cost peanuts.
When I got tyres of my Swift changed, I paid only 3k for 4 brand new Honda City rims to the tyre dealer. They keep getting brand new rims, as people buying new cars buy alloys from them and give their steel rims for almost nothing.
So about 18k for Yoko A drives in size 195/60R15.
3k for the Honda City rims.
He deducted 1k for my old wheels and tyres.
You can get more than 1k easily for your old wheels and tyres. Easily.
So the steel wheels cost me just 2k and man they look good. Much better than OEM 14" wheels which I used to compare with my car with 15" wheels.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 07:12   #1947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
If I were you, I won't go with them but stick to Michelin/Yoko etc.
I tried getting a set of 15 inch rims or alloys, one dealer had the original Maruti 15' alloys with Good year tyres on them. But he asked too much and couldn't get them in budget. Also, I didn't have good opinion on good years.

So left that and finally I went for 185/70 R14 Yokohoma A drives. As of now, I should say the tyres are performing well and I'm satisfied. Grip is good, braking improved and they are almost silent.
Old 19th April 2015, 10:19   #1948
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
For Falkens, I would request others to comment. If I were you, I won't go with them but stick to Michelin/Yoko etc.

If you have 14" steel rims, all better as they didn't cost you anything.
Good suggestion, I too wasn't confident on suggesting Madhav the Falken tyres instead told him to stock to Michelin or Yokohama.

The Swift 'Z' variant 15" alloys + Goodyear DuraPlus that has run 300 kms for which that owner has left back buying some 16" wheels. It was a tasty deal but the guy was quoting 18K for alloys only buy if the combo was bought he was quoting 31K. As budget wasn't high we had to leave the deal and but Yokohama A drive.

Quote:
So left that and finally I went for 185/70 R14 Yokohoma A drives. As of now, I should say the tyres are performing well and I'm satisfied. Grip is good, braking improved and they are almost silent.
Good that the tyres are good as compared to OEM. Next is to change the wheel caps on priority basis.
Old 19th April 2015, 11:29   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Good suggestion, I too wasn't confident on suggesting Madhav the Falken tyres instead told him to stock to Michelin or Yokohama.

The Swift 'Z' variant 15" alloys + Goodyear DuraPlus that has run 300 kms for which that owner has left back buying some 16" wheels. It was a tasty deal but the guy was quoting 18K for alloys only buy if the combo was bought he was quoting 31K. As budget wasn't high we had to leave the deal and but Yokohama A drive.

Good that the tyres are good as compared to OEM. Next is to change the wheel caps on priority basis.
If you are still considering stock alloys, why not get a quote from your Maruti service guy? I last bought replacement alloys for my 09 Swift for approx 3k each. Do note that this model came with 14 inchers.
Old 19th April 2015, 12:07   #1950
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post

If you are still considering stock alloys, why not get a quote from your Maruti service guy? I last bought replacement alloys for my 09 Swift for approx 3k each. Do note that this model came with 14 inchers.
I have a Swift ZDi already. The alloy deal wasn't for me it WS for Madhav14.

OEM alloys at MGP is 5.5K each.

Most Viewed