Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 19:29   #1906
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi guys, can someone using MRF ZLO in 185/70R14 indicate the right air pressure for a Swift VDI.
Adi22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 00:37   #1907
Senior - BHPian

The air pressure sticker on the driver side B pillar has the relevant information. IIRC it is 29 psi for petrol Swifts but you should check it out yourself and confirm.

BTW it does not matter whether the tires are MRF or Dunlop or any other make. The air pressure specified is for tire size not make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Hi guys, can someone using MRF ZLO in 185/70R14 indicate the right air pressure for a Swift VDI.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 10:12   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
It is 32 psi.

Source: sticker on old Dzire ZDi - that is the only model where you get a diesel on 185/70R14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The air pressure sticker on the driver side B pillar has the relevant information. IIRC it is 29 psi for petrol Swifts but you should check it out yourself and confirm.
sticker on old Swift diesel only mentions the tyre pressure for 165/80R14, since there was no ZDi in Swift back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Guys, Reliance AutoZone HSR has stock of Pirelli and he is quoting a price lesser than that of Michelin. Need first hand feedback on Pirelli.
If their performance in F1 is any indication, I would prefer Michelin or Bridgestone anyday

I'm not sure how well Pirelli tyres are tested for the pathetic roads in India. Most of these international tyres are designed for the smooth asphalt and not the "off-road" terrain that our roads present. First generation Michelins had issues with sidewall - something that they never had a problem with in the overseas markets. So I would look at a brand that has enough presence in India to be sure that they've made necessary changes to suit our conditions.

Last edited by zenren : 1st November 2014 at 10:16.
Old 1st November 2014, 11:10   #1909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Guys, Reliance AutoZone HSR has stock of Pirelli and he is quoting a price lesser than that of Michelin. Need first hand feedback on Pirelli.
I live at walking distance from this store. I have been there about 3 months back searching for tyre upgrades for my old Swift VXi. Later, got reference of Sai Iyengar Tyre shop in Indiranagar, called them, got a better quote, drove to their shop and got 195-60R15 Yoko A drives with Honda City's rims.
They also took my old pathetic JK Tornados with 14" rims, while they were only 33k KM old, I just couldn't live with them being on my ride anymore.

4 Tyres for 18k
4 Rims for 3k
I paid 21k in total. The experience with people there was awsome. Not only the quote was best at that time, the guy I interacted with seemed to be quite knowledgable about his work, tyres for specific cars. He also commented on how Swift can take really much broader sizes in those large wheel wells without affecting mileage, ride quality and health of drivetrain much but confirmed that 195/60R15 is the best, most balanced size for the Swift.
The very next day I drove to Chennai and believe me, every word he said was true. The handling has improved drastically and you naturally feel confident on speeds above 100kmph.
Old 1st November 2014, 12:25   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

BTW it does not matter whether the tires are MRF or Dunlop or any other make. The air pressure specified is for tire size not make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
It is 32 psi.

Source: sticker on old Dzire ZDi - that is the only model where you get a diesel on 185/70R14.

sticker on old Swift diesel only mentions the tyre pressure for 165/80R14, since there was no ZDi in Swift back then.

If their performance in F1 is any indication, I would prefer Michelin or Bridgestone anyday

I'm not sure how well Pirelli tyres are tested for the pathetic roads in India. Most of these international tyres are designed for the smooth asphalt and not the "off-road" terrain that our roads present. First generation Michelins had issues with sidewall - something that they never had a problem with in the overseas markets. So I would look at a brand that has enough presence in India to be sure that they've made necessary changes to suit our conditions.
Thanks guys. I wanted to know particularly for ZLO because i read a lot of people trying different pressures and wanted to know the optimal one considering these are softer compared to bridgestones.
Old 26th December 2014, 17:16   #1911
BHPian

My current tyre (Michelin XM1+, 185/70R14) has run 52K+ Kilometers as of today. The treads have almost worn off (the coin test failed) and the braking distance has increased (could be my feeling). What's the best tyre for the Swift?

I've used the following since its birth

1. JK (Company fitted) 25K Kms (was not happy so changed it to Yoko)
2. Yokohama A-Drive (40K drove around 3K after misalignment so one tyre was more worn out and changed all four) - Happy with the tyre
3. Michelin XM1+ (Current Tyre. All tyres looks the same so all are equally worn out) - Happy with the tyre

Thought of going for XM2. Any other suggestions and what would be the approx price in Kerala (Trivandrum/Kochi)?
Old 26th December 2014, 19:38   #1912
BHPian

Try the new Yokohama Earth One. It's a good all round performer, and has better service life than the A-Drive.
Old 26th December 2014, 23:06   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Thought of going for XM2. Any other suggestions and what would be the approx price in Kerala (Trivandrum/Kochi)?
Agree with Wasava tyres. You can try Earth-1 which is there on my friends Swift while I shifted from a-drives to XM2 recently. Having driven both, it looks like earth-1 is a lot more vfm than Xm2 considering the lesser cost but need to find out if earth-1 can match XM2 for mileage.
Old 27th December 2014, 08:56   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Try the new Yokohama Earth One. It's a good all round performer, and has better service life than the A-Drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Agree with Wasava tyres. You can try Earth-1 which is there on my friends Swift while I shifted from a-drives to XM2 recently. Having driven both, it looks like earth-1 is a lot more vfm than Xm2 considering the lesser cost but need to find out if earth-1 can match XM2 for mileage.
I think Yokohama Earth One is not available in 185/70R14 size.
Old 27th December 2014, 09:34   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
I think Yokohama Earth One is not available in 185/70R14 size.
You have 'Earth One' in 185/65R14.
Old 27th December 2014, 10:23   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
That makes a difference of 9.5mm, in short GC will be 160.5 (from 170) which will make it prone to bottom out in our great roads of Kerala.

Or am I getting it wrong or getting unnecessarily concerned?
Old 27th December 2014, 12:16   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
That makes a difference of 9.5mm, in short GC will be 160.5 (from 170) which will make it prone to bottom out in our great roads of Kerala.

Or am I getting it wrong or getting unnecessarily concerned?
It is a wrong size and best avoided. The other grippier option is mrf zlo
Old 27th December 2014, 12:51   #1918
BHPian

Friends, for my old shape Swift, I upgraded from pathetic 165/80R14 JKs to 195/60R15 Yoko A drives. The profile of these two sizes are identical, hence its the best size to upgrade, and the kind of grip I get from 195mm rubber, I just can't put the feeling in words here.
I got Honda City's 15" black steel rims for some 3000 bucks from the same tyre shop. For ~20k I drove away with 15" Yoko A drives, talk about deals.
For everybody out there driving stock wheels on their Swifts, I really recommend a similar setup. The whole experience is changed and Honda City's rims are readily available at tyre shops.
Old 27th December 2014, 15:58   #1919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Friends, for my old shape Swift, I upgraded from pathetic 165/80R14 JKs to 195/60R15 Yoko A drives. The profile of these two sizes are identical, hence its the best size to upgrade, and the kind of grip I get from 195mm rubber, I just can't put the feeling in words here.
I got Honda City's 15" black steel rims for some 3000 bucks from the same tyre shop. For ~20k I drove away with 15" Yoko A drives, talk about deals.
For everybody out there driving stock wheels on their Swifts, I really recommend a similar setup. The whole experience is changed and Honda City's rims are readily available at tyre shops.
185/70R14 is a huge improvement over the skinny 165s while still adhering to OEM spec and can be used with the OEM steel rims of Swift. I've felt the upgrade to lower profile tyres would result in comprising the ride quality, especially at rear seats where Swift is already not so comfortable.
Old 27th December 2014, 16:31   #1920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
185/70/R14 has been available in Earth One for the past one month now.
Check with your local dealer.

Most Viewed