Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 22:08   #1951
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Mine is a Vdi.I got a set of four Accelera Tyres from my friend(made in indonesia). They are 185/70R14s.Accelera RHO in name.Sidewall is decently hard.Tyres are soft in make.They provide excellent dry grip, yet to test on wet conditions. Treadwear rating is 320.,ISI,E4.DOT markings are there,speed rating 88H.Any one had any experience with this brand?
Old 16th June 2015, 19:36   #1952
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
For Falkens, I would request others to comment. If I were you, I won't go with them but stick to Michelin/Yoko etc.

What I would really suggest you is to go for 195/60R15 size.
If you have 14" steel rims, all better as they didn't cost you anything. As we know, 195 can be accommodated by a 5.5" wide rim which your's aren't. I suggest that you get Honda City's 15" rims. Yes, they are 5.5" wide, so size 195mm is possible, an they cost peanuts.
When I got tyres of my Swift changed, I paid only 3k for 4 brand new Honda City rims to the tyre dealer. They keep getting brand new rims, as people buying new cars buy alloys from them and give their steel rims for almost nothing.
So about 18k for Yoko A drives in size 195/60R15.
3k for the Honda City rims.
He deducted 1k for my old wheels and tyres.
You can get more than 1k easily for your old wheels and tyres. Easily.
So the steel wheels cost me just 2k and man they look good. Much better than OEM 14" wheels which I used to compare with my car with 15" wheels.
Wow, that is some really useful information! I will be buying a Swift VXi very soon and plan to upgrade the stock tyres. Given the information you have posted,

1. How is fit on your car? I mean was offset a problem or was it a perfect match? How about a picture?

2. Are you saying that the stock steel rims on a Swift are 5J and not 5.5J? Maruti original alloy rims are definitely 5.5J regardless of whether you get 14" or 15" ones.

3. How much do you think I could get for my stock tyres and wheels if I decide to go for your suggestion and get used City rims and 185/65R15 tyres?

4. If I upgrade only the tyres to 185/70R14, how much do you think the tyres alone would be worth?

For 3 and 4, please assume that I will drive directly to the tyre dealer or maybe the day after. So that's about 10 to 50 km of use.
Old 16th June 2015, 20:12   #1953
Senior - BHPian

To get the best price strike a deal with a tyre shop before you drive the new car out of the showroom.

Once you drive in the new car to a dealer he knows you 'have' to buy whereas in the above scenario you 'might' buy from him or from someone else, that is why you will get a better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
For 3 and 4, please assume that I will drive directly to the tyre dealer or maybe the day after. So that's about 10 to 50 km of use.
Old 17th June 2015, 01:00   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
To get the best price strike a deal with a tyre shop before you drive the new car out of the showroom.

Once you drive in the new car to a dealer he knows you 'have' to buy whereas in the above scenario you 'might' buy from him or from someone else, that is why you will get a better deal.
Yes, I had that on my mind which is why I intend to do a survey before the car gets delivered (waiting period quite long for red in Chandigarh) so that I can identify the best deal. However, I was hoping to get a ballpark figure here so that I can tune my expectations accordingly. Hopefully I can get a decent enough deal. Obviously if I drive back to Delhi the tyres will have some wear which will cut down their value.
Old 21st June 2015, 15:47   #1955
BHPian

OK, so I went back to the showroom to complete the loan formalities and to give them the downpayment cheque but the delivery will take up to 15-20 more days since they claim that Swift VXi is not available in red with Maruti and they will have to build one for me. Honestly I cannot believe that nonsense but maybe it is true.

But to stay on the topic, I have a couple more concerns:

1. The sales manager at the showroom said that my warranty would be void for any wheel or suspension related part if I choose to install any rim other than from MGP or MGA but tyre size doesn't matter. Is that true? If yes, I would have to buy the boring alloy wheels from Maruti if I want to upgrade to 15 inches.

2. I went to three tyre stores and none of them could even give me a ball park figure of what to expect for the stock tyres/wheels. One shop owner (Walia in sector 28, Chandigarh, stocks Alnac 4G) even said that he cannot entertain me until I bring my car. I guess I won't be taking my car to him. Would anyone here have a rough idea as to the range of value of the stock wheels of a Swift?
Old 21st June 2015, 20:02   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post

I have a couple more concerns:
1. The sales manager at the showroom said that my warranty would be void for any wheel or suspension related part if I choose to install any rim other than from MGP or MGA but tyre size doesn't matter.

2. I went to three tyre stores and none of them could even give me a ball park figure of what to expect for the stock tyres/wheels.
I think your sales manager is right. The Swift VXi comes with 14 inchers and an upgrade to a higher rim size will void the warranty for wheel and suspension related parts.

However there is no issue if you buy rims in the same size from outside and go for wider tires.

After your purchase, go to the tire shop clocking as few kilometers as possible. Select your alloys and tires and then bargain for the most value for money exchange deal. Tyre shops may not show much enthusiasm when you go to them even before taking delivery, since for cars like the Swift, which are common, many people are bound to come window shopping.
Old 21st June 2015, 20:24   #1957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumarsarat View Post
I think your sales manager is right. The Swift VXi comes with 14 inchers and an upgrade to a higher rim size will void the warranty for wheel and suspension related parts.
Actually that is not what he said. He said that even if I install aftermarket alloy rims of the same specifications as stock wheels, my warranty will be void. But if I buy 14 inch or 15 inch alloy rims from MGA my warranty will remain intact even if I upsize the tyres. I clearly asked him if I upgraded to 185/70R14 tyres (OEM size on the old ZXi) with stock rims or even 195/60R15 (one size up over the new ZXi's stock size) on Maruti Genuine Accessory wheels, it would void my warranty and he said my warranty will be unaffected. But if I retain the company fitted tyres on aftermarket alloy rims of OEM specs, my warranty will be void.
Old 27th June 2015, 21:43   #1958
BHPian

After 7 yrs and almost 50K km for my Swift ZXi, when I had gone to repair a puncture of a tyre , the Tyre Zone (near Marathahalli Bangalore) told me that repairing is of no use as its somewhat worn out and there is some bulge which can cause tyre burst.
I had him inspect other tyres and he told one more needs to be replaced.

So I need to change 2 at the minimum ( I may get an another check done at Maruti Service centre)

Now :
1) If just 2 need to be changed, should I stick to current brand JK Tyre ?
2) The Maruti service centre pricing is too high, but Tyre Zone is quoting 4K for each. Which too looked higher than when I checked online on Snapdeal/Flipkart. Anybody purchased online ?
3) After these many kms, is it better I change all 5 ? Whats the recommended best at around 4K each ? I guess the rims last much longer, so I don't void warranty by just tyre change

Thanks!
Old 28th June 2015, 13:42   #1959
BHPian

As one tyre was in risky state, I went with JK

Thinking of Bridgestone AR10 for rest of the 4
Old 28th June 2015, 14:17   #1960
BHPian

Sorry AR10 is tubed, trying to decide the specific Bridgestone model
Old 30th June 2015, 18:27   #1961
BHPian

The road I use daily is pretty rough..
Which type model (for Swift Zxi) is best known for durability and ruggedness..
Old 1st July 2015, 19:14   #1962
BHPian

No inputs from experts! ?
Old 1st July 2015, 19:25   #1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revention View Post
No inputs from experts! ?
Have recently replaced stock JKTyre with Continental 185/70 R14 for my Ritz vxi. Totally satisfied till now. Low noise level and well cushioned.
Old 1st July 2015, 19:31   #1964
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revention View Post
After 7 yrs and almost 50K km for my Swift ZXi

3) After these many kms, is it better I change all 5 ? Whats the recommended best at around 4K each ?
7 years and 50K kms, I suggest you to get the tyres changed. Change 4 tyres and let the spare be as it is IF it hasn't been used much. The rubber will get hard with age and deteriorate hence advice you to change. It may cost you high slightly but it will be a peace of mind for future.

Try for Bridgestone B290 - 185/70 R14 (88T). On snap deal they cost 4K each so bargain at the tyre dealer in your city. Best is to buy it in live rather than Online.

Quote:
I guess the rims last much longer, so I don't void warranty by just tyre change
What warranty are you talking about?
Old 1st July 2015, 20:08   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Try for Bridgestone B290 - 185/70 R14 (88T).
How do they compare to AR20 or Michelin Xm2 , just for info ?

Quote:
What warranty are you talking about?
I was referring to earlier thread by Darth Sid, but yes my mistake, the car is well past that...

Btw , since one tyre had a bulge , the dealer said it's candidate for tyre burst.
So I anyways got a new tyre, same JK, which will remain as spare...

Most Viewed