Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2017, 11:45   #2041
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yokohama or Continental are my first suggestions and then look at MRF Z.L.O.

Yokohama Earth 1 is available I think which is a nice tyre too.
Thank you for your advice. So MRF Z.L.O. will be better than the Apollo Amazer 4G? I have read the thread about MRF Z.L.O. and am very positive about it, especially its gips but still I have little concerns regarding its softness. I had one sidewall puncture and some nicks and bruises on my previous tyres, so am afraid that Z.L.O. will also get easily damaged. Besides, whether they will last another 50k Km which also I am considering. On the other hand I don't like the tread pattern of Apollo's.
Kindly help me make a decision!
Old 5th August 2017, 20:58   #2042
BHPian

Tires on my Swift 2013 finally come to the end of their service life !! They ran a good 79560 kms and visually they still look perfect and i do not find any problem with the handling except for the road noise. However, I don't feel very happy about the noise and want to replace them ASAP.

I was wondering if either of the two below is possible ?
  1. Running 15'' rubber on a 14'' rim for a few hundred kms ?
  2. Running 14'' rubber on a 15'rim ?

I want to get a set of alloys but that wouldn't happen until mid of September and neither do I want to postpone new set of tires just because I cannot plan a set of alloys immediately. Please excuse me if I sound dumb !!
Old 6th August 2017, 02:10   #2043
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Thank you for your advice. So MRF Z.L.O. will be better than the Apollo Amazer 4G?
I'll prefer the MRF Z.L.O over the Apollo anyday.

If the road you take is not good with lot of potholes etc, then I am not sure how these tyres will withstand the torture but if roads are decent and driven carefully plus performing wheel alignment, balancing etc at prescribed intervals then nothing should stop the tyres from performing well.

I love the pattern on the Z.L.O's

Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-3.-view-behind.jpg

PS: These are the 195/60 R15 ones.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 11:54   #2044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so am afraid that Z.L.O. will also get easily damaged. Besides, whether they will last another 50k Km which also I am considering.
I am using ZLOs on my swift (185/70/R14) since March 2015 (25000 kms) and they are very very good in almost all aspects. I have used them on highways and local Gurgaon roads full of potholes. Will I buy them again? Yes, surely.
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 12:40   #2045
BHPian

Thanks to a lot of brilliant feedback/reviews here, I'm edging towards choosing one of Yokohoma Earth 1 or Conti CC5 for my Swift zxi that has done 63k so far in the MRF zvtv. Just wanted to confirm if the former 2 come in 185/65 R15 specs? If yes, Bangalore or Chennai BHPians, can you point me to a good dealer for the Yokohoma Earth 1 or Conti CC5?

I'm very much a off road person - Bangalore outskirts, as well as a lot of ghat drives - and I have 3 trips lined up in Aug, Sep and Oct. Planning to have the tyres changed before these trips.

TIA!
VinothAJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 22:14   #2046
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
I'm very much a off road person - Bangalore outskirts, as well as a lot of ghat drives
Hello Sir,

I am not very sure if either of these two tyres are rough road worthy? May be the Yokohama being "Made for India" may withstand but the Continental I think is a soft compound one.

Have a look at tyres from Bridgestone like B290 or AR20 along with Yokohama Earth 1.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 00:40   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Sir,

I am not very sure if either of these two tyres are rough road worthy? May be the Yokohama being "Made for India" may withstand but the Continental I think is a soft compound one.

Have a look at tyres from Bridgestone like B290 or AR20 along with Yokohama Earth 1.
Thanks Anurag. B290 is something that my service folks have readily available
Old 13th August 2017, 09:40   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your advice. So MRF Z.L.O. will be better than the Apollo Amazer 4G? I have read the thread about MRF Z.L.O. and am very positive about it, especially its gips but still I have little concerns regarding its softness. I had one sidewall puncture and some nicks and bruises on my previous tyres, so am afraid that Z.L.O. will also get easily damaged. Besides, whether they will last another 50k Km which also I am considering. On the other hand I don't like the tread pattern of Apollo's.
Kindly help me make a decision!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
Thanks to a lot of brilliant feedback/reviews here, I'm edging towards choosing one of Yokohoma Earth 1 or Conti CC5 for my Swift zxi that has done 63k so far in the MRF zvtv. Just wanted to confirm if the former 2 come in 185/65 R15 specs? If yes, Bangalore or Chennai BHPians, can you point me to a good dealer for the Yokohoma Earth 1 or Conti CC5?

I'm very much a off road person - Bangalore outskirts, as well as a lot of ghat drives - and I have 3 trips lined up in Aug, Sep and Oct. Planning to have the tyres changed before these trips.

TIA!
Hi, right out of the showroom I traded the factory fitted Goodyear tyres on my Swift ZDi for Continental MaxContact MC5 on slightly wider dimensions 195/60R15. This is a soft rubber tyre and gives me excellent dry and wet grip. The handling of the car is much more reassuring and braking is also much better now, all the while giving a very supple ride. You may like to consider the Conti MC5. Its also backed by a 3 year warranty against all eventualities including sidewall cuts.

This tyre is a delight for spirited driving. Maintained 150 Kph sustained on the Yamuna expressway (Delhi-Agra).
aditya79india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 14:26   #2049
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Hi, right out of the showroom I traded the factory fitted Goodyear tyres on my Swift ZDi for Continental MaxContact MC5 on slightly wider dimensions 195/60R15.
How much did it cost? I guess you bought 4 tyres or changed all 5?

How many kms so far clocked?
Old 13th August 2017, 16:36   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
I'll prefer the MRF Z.L.O over the Apollo anyday.
I love the pattern on the Z.L.O's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I am using ZLOs on my swift (185/70/R14) since March 2015 (25000 kms) and they are very very good in almost all aspects. I have used them on highways and local Gurgaon roads full of potholes. Will I buy them again? Yes, surely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Hi, right out of the showroom I traded the factory fitted Goodyear tyres on my Swift ZDi for Continental MaxContact MC5 on slightly wider dimensions 195/60R15. This tyre is a delight for spirited driving. Maintained 150 Kph sustained on the Yamuna expressway (Delhi-Agra).
So with my budget constraints, and based on all the advice and feedbacks, I today finally got MRF Z.L.O. 185/70/R14 on my Swift Vdi. The initial response is very good. The potholes almost vanish under these new tyres, the ride is silent and grip is good. I got them fitted from MRF T&S Rani bagh, Delhi. The total impact was-
3580 per tyre, Total for 4 tyres=Rs.14320/- This includes- tyres, alignment, balancing, nitrogen and new valves for all 4 tyres.
Age is- 262017, 272017, 302017 and one was slightly old at 122017. Considering that my running is little low and I had to replace my old tyres not because of wear out of tread but due to occurrence of little cracks on 5.5 years old tyres, I was conscious of the age of the new tyres. Hope I did good on the last tyre. One old tyre of March 2016 which is 165/80/R14 goes in the boot as stepney.
Sold the old 4 tyres near a petrol pump for Rs.700/-

One question I have is as to what nitrogen pressure I should maintain in my new tyres as on old 165/80/R14 I was maintaining 33psi on all 4. The people at the tyre shop originally did 35psi but I was sceptical and got it reduced to 33psi but now they seem under filled on looking from sideways but driving is fine. And kindly guide as to the nitrogen pressure check intervals needed as I got them for the first time.

TIA
Old 13th August 2017, 19:48   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
How much did it cost? I guess you bought 4 tyres or changed all 5?

How many kms so far clocked?
It cost me Rs 5200/tyre last October (2016). Ofcourse, I got a very healthy price for the traded tyres. This month I completed 15,500 Kms which include two very long distance trips. I changed 4 tyres; the fifth one is a 14" one limited to 80kph.

Apart from the virtues mentioned above, these tyres have also rescued me from a couple of pretty nasty situations due to its sheer grip. The ownership has been an extremely satisfying experience, to the extent that my next replacement purchase will also be Conti MC5 or the new Conti Extreme Contact 5.

Last edited by aditya79india : 13th August 2017 at 19:51. Reason: spell check
Old 18th November 2017, 22:58   #2052
BHPian

I've recently seen some black colored liquid running off my swift's tyres. Also when i wash the car, there is a lot of black substance that comes out of the rims. Not sure what this cud be. Would somebody be able to help me on this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1511026059536.jpg  

Old 19th November 2017, 12:28   #2053
Senior - BHPian

That's the brake pad dust. It is normal and happens on all disc brake cars. Some say that brake pad quality determines the amount of dust that gets accumulated however I have experienced this with all types of pads. Even my new Polo GT TSI has this and so does my Pajero. Nothing to worry. Just wash it off.
Old 20th November 2017, 16:11   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
That's the brake pad dust. It is normal and happens on all disc brake cars. Some say that brake pad quality determines the amount of dust that gets accumulated however I have experienced this with all types of pads. Even my new Polo GT TSI has this and so does my Pajero. Nothing to worry. Just wash it off.
Thank you so much for the clarification ! I was at my wits end assuming it was some sort of oil leak ! Finally at peace now !
Old 20th November 2017, 16:22   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
black colored liquid
Is that brake pad dust + dog pee?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks