Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2017, 16:03   #151
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Scorpions ATR is good tyre if you don't drive too often above 100 kmph. Noise is considerably low on these tyres.
Ummm, thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it suits my driving profile. I'm on the highway at least once a month, sometimes twice and I am NOT a sedate driver. That's one of the reasons why I'm particular on V (240 kmph) rated tyres, rather than H (210 kmph) rated ones. I know noise is a factor, but hey, I've driven Apollo Hawkz for so long and they are considered the noisiest of the lot! Anything will be an upgrade on that front!

Incidentally, will the load rating (104 vs 108) make any difference? My car usually doesn't have more than four people in it on the highways with normal luggage and I'm mostly alone within the city for office commutes. The Pirelli Scorpion Verde is rated 108V whereas the Michelin Latitude Tour HP is rated 104V.
Old 18th January 2017, 18:53   #152
BHPian

Close your eyes and get pirelli Verde.. Michelin is overpriced to my mind
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 19:24   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Ummm, thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it suits my driving profile. I'm on the highway at least once a month, sometimes twice and I am NOT a sedate driver. That's one of the reasons why I'm particular on V (240 kmph) rated tyres, rather than H (210 kmph) rated ones. I know noise is a factor, but hey, I've driven Apollo Hawkz for so long and they are considered the noisiest of the lot! Anything will be an upgrade on that front!

Incidentally, will the load rating (104 vs 108) make any difference? My car usually doesn't have more than four people in it on the highways with normal luggage and I'm mostly alone within the city for office commutes. The Pirelli Scorpion Verde is rated 108V whereas the Michelin Latitude Tour HP is rated 104V.
What is your typical speed on highway? I am not comfortable in driving xuv above 120 kmph due to lousy brakes. Till 100 kmph, you will not feel the difference due to noise from pirelli. If you often drive around 100 kmph then go for HT tyres.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:30   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Close your eyes and get pirelli Verde.. Michelin is overpriced to my mind
Thanks, Vikram. I was thinking on the same lines too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
What is your typical speed on highway? I am not comfortable in driving xuv above 120 kmph due to lousy brakes. Till 100 kmph, you will not feel the difference due to noise from pirelli. If you often drive around 100 kmph then go for HT tyres.
As I had mentioned earlier, that sweet ting-ting sound is heard very often in my car on the highways! There's always been a slight shiver apparent on the steering wheel when I pass 120 or so, but it goes away if I go higher or lower. It is almost always present in that narrow band between 120 - 125. Could be due to the tyres. I'll know only if get some new ones. Does anyone else experience the same?
Old 19th January 2017, 11:19   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There's always been a slight shiver apparent on the steering wheel when I pass 120 or so, but it goes away if I go higher or lower. It is almost always present in that narrow band between 120 - 125.
Thats the resonance effect or something they call. Will go away once you do a proper WA/WB.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 12:59   #156
BHPian

Quote:
True, I don't do much off roading, soft roading, etc., at least not intentionally! We get to do enough of that on our city "roads" anyway. Sometimes you don't have much choice but to get down and dirty on some back country lanes, but that is the limit for me.

LOL, talk about a vote of no-confidence! I guess the tyres are close to their intended wear life. I'm now down to two tyres for choice, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Approx 15,500/- for the former and 12,500/- for the latter. Hope to get this done by this weekend.[/quote]

On your first point ... any tyre will be fine then. My preference would be to go for H/T rated tyres

On the latter, I cannot say enough bad words for Apollo. Its typical cheap OEM tyre. I think they make mediocre products and appeal to manufacturers as the cheapest suppliers as well as the cheapest replacement tyres. Performance is directly proportional to the cost of the tire. Read my review here ...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...st-sikkim.html

I understand Sikkim is rough terrain but they were undriveable at 33000 kms!

So send photos and tire replacement pics and experiences..
Old 19th January 2017, 13:23   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thats the resonance effect or something they call. Will go away once you do a proper WA/WB.
OK, a WA/WB is offered free of cost at one of the dealers, so I'll get it done. Let's see how it goes after that.

Quote:
I understand Sikkim is rough terrain but they were undriveable at 33000 kms!

So send photos and tire replacement pics and experiences..
I had gone through your travelogue when you posted it first.

Sure I will post detailed pics and experience once I get it done. Should be during this weekend, hopefully.

Last edited by Stryker : 19th January 2017 at 13:26. Reason: Removed FWD/AWD question.
Old 19th January 2017, 21:11   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the latter, I cannot say enough bad words for Apollo. Its typical cheap OEM tyre. I think they make mediocre products and appeal to manufacturers as the cheapest suppliers as well as the cheapest replacement tyres. Performance is directly proportional to the cost of the tire. Read my review here...
I went over your T-log and its amazing! To keep the discussion to the point, I couldn't agree more -

Quote:
Terrible terrible OEM tyres – I intend to send this feedback to Mr Anand Mahindra but I think they should ban the Apollo Apterra HP tyres for the XUV. They were noisy, screeched like crazy and kept slipping and sliding whenever put to test. On sharp inclining hairpins, we could feel the car was powerful enough but the front wheel was spinning and not able to get traction. Similarly near Gurudongmar, the front wheels kept spinning in the mud with no traction. I think the bare minimum tyres that the XUV should come with are the Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts. To summarise we felp unsafe with the Apollos on our return journey and I have changed them to Pirelli Scorpion ATRs at a meagre 33500 kms (I think 15k kms before they should have ideally worn out)
My experience has been of similar nature - though my run is mostly on highways. The perennial complain I have about these tyres is - they are the noisiest. Now since my car is at 45K Kms, I am in market too to change them. Waiting for @Strykers decision and mostly I will go with Michelin Latitude Tour HP. The pricing in Stryker's sheet and with few dealers seems to be different. A dealer quoted around 14,000 per tyre. But I will anyway wait for couple more weeks before i make final decision.
Old 20th January 2017, 09:39   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for @Strykers decision and mostly I will go with Michelin Latitude Tour HP. The pricing in Stryker's sheet and with few dealers seems to be different. A dealer quoted around 14,000 per tyre. But I will anyway wait for couple more weeks before i make final decision.
The pricing I quoted in the sheet are online prices as on date of posting, mostly Amazon, SnapDeal, etc.

Which dealer is quoting 14K for the Michelin? Someone on JC Road? I'd be grateful if you can let me know. I've enquired with three dealers and they are all in the same range of 15,500/- give or take a few. The Pirelli prices are also pretty much the same across these dealers, 12,500/-.

I've more or less decided on the Pirelli, since there is a 12,000/- advantage (for 4 tyres) and a higher rating too (108V vs 104V). I do not see any significant advantage Michelin has over the Pirelli, except maybe a better durability factor. See this link for more info.
Old 20th January 2017, 12:18   #160
BHPian

Quote:
I went over your T-log and its amazing! To keep the discussion to the point, I couldn't agree more -

My experience has been of similar nature - though my run is mostly on highways. The perennial complain I have about these tyres is - they are the noisiest. Now since my car is at 45K Kms, I am in market too to change them. Waiting for @Strykers decision and mostly I will go with Michelin Latitude Tour HP. The pricing in Stryker's sheet and with few dealers seems to be different. A dealer quoted around 14,000 per tyre. But I will anyway wait for couple more weeks before i make final decision.
I am not aware of apterras but my experience with Apollo hawkz was not bad. I had only one punchure in 35k run and they were not noisy. Only thing that I hate was that hawkz worn out way faster. I changed them after 35k.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:02   #161

I have booked the XUV500 W10AT AWD the dealer tells me it comes with apollo tyres which i want to change. I love the Yokohama Geolander A/T so went to the tyre dealer he showed me the Yokohama Geolander SUV H/T tyres and tells me they are good. I am not convinced. Also I need to know if there are any negatives if I go 255/65/17
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:21   #162

Quote:
The pricing I quoted in the sheet are online prices as on date of posting, mostly Amazon, SnapDeal, etc.

Which dealer is quoting 14K for the Michelin? Someone on JC Road? I'd be grateful if you can let me know. I've enquired with three dealers and they are all in the same range of 15,500/- give or take a few. The Pirelli prices are also pretty much the same across these dealers, 12,500/-.

I've more or less decided on the Pirelli, since there is a 12,000/- advantage (for 4 tyres) and a higher rating too (108V vs 104V). I do not see any significant advantage Michelin has over the Pirelli, except maybe a better durability factor. See this link for more info.
Thanks Stryker. I have been trying to find Pirelli Verde for my XUV in Bangalore and I am not able to find it anywhere. Where did you get yours? I would appreciate if you help me with references. Thanks.
Old 24th January 2017, 09:14   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Thanks Stryker. I have been trying to find Pirelli Verde for my XUV in Bangalore and I am not able to find it anywhere. Where did you get yours? I would appreciate if you help me with references. Thanks.
Got a quote from a big tyre shop in Basaveshwarnagar called B R Tyres, which is also close to my home. They are dealers for most tyre manufacturers. Not a specific brand shop, so you will get quotes for multiple makes/models from them.

I've decided on Pirelli Scorpion Verde and will be changing them this weekend, as I couldn't do it last weekend.
Stryker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 14:19   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've decided on Pirelli Scorpion Verde and will be changing them this weekend, as I couldn't do it last weekend.
Any specifics on pricing if you may want to disclose please?
Old 24th January 2017, 20:05   #165
BHPian

I think I mentioned it earlier. I was quoted 12,500/- per tyre with wheel balancing thrown in free. I might get full wheel alignment done too, if he offers some discount on it.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks