Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 15:43   #226
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judesat View Post
I have used XM2 for more than 50K kms on my Figo. I have been planning to change tyres for a month now, and after reading through this thread I got the Earth 1 yesterday. No complaints about XM2, but I thought I need a change. Initial observations - I find it more silent than XM2; it seems smoother on bumpy roads. I'm doing a BLR- CHN round trip this weekend and will have more feedback then.
Hi,

I am planing of changing tyres in my car and considering XM2 or Earth 1. Your opinion will count. How much have you done on Earth one so far and how do you compare it with XM2 after the long run.
Old 13th July 2015, 16:34   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
Hi,

I am planing of changing tyres in my car and considering XM2 or Earth 1. Your opinion will count. How much have you done on Earth one so far and how do you compare it with XM2 after the long run.
I have now driven the Earth 1 for more than 3K kms. This includes two BLR-CHN-BLR trips and one CHN-Pondy-CHN trips. The only difference I find between XM2 and Earth 1 is the tyre noise. I am not saying either of them is noisier - but there is a considerable difference in sound. XM2 had a more roaring sound (which I liked) as against the Earth 1 with a much milder sound. In terms of handling on highways or dealing with bad roads, I should say they are as good as each other. If you're stuck between these two, I think your decision should just boil down to the prices you get them for and their manufacturing dates.
judesat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 20:10   #228
BHPian

After buying my new alloys I had to install new tyres. Size was decided at 195/60 R15; I went by Minku Agarwal's suggestion of Yokohama Earth 1 (reinforced by a long read of this thread). The alloys were handed over to him yesterday. I took the Polo today to have them fitted. The tyres cost Rs 5,100 each.

New Earth 1 waiting to be installed

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_4043.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_4042.jpg

Size and tread comparison with the older Apollo Acelere tyres (175/70 R14) -- on Left below. Buyback was Rs 3,500 for the old four tyres (8,000 km each).

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_4044.jpg

Observations after the change

- The increased GC is palpable when stepping inside.

- Braking feels much sharper.

- It is too early to test drive quality since the drive back home was barely 5-6 kms and it was also raining so I could not check the noise level. I'll post an update later.
Kumar R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 18:49   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

I always thought why is the name Yokohama visible everywhere, would anyone choose it over far more experienced companies like Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin etc. When it was time to change the tarmac rubber for the Getz I ran into an unexpected problem - not many of these companies kept high quality tyres in the 175 section. My requirements were sidewall rigidity and intermediate compound so that it can handle rough roads while at the same time handle hard pothole knocks.

There was only one option, the Earth-1. After inspecting the tyre (pushing the sidewall) I found it much more rigid than Conti & Michelin. The price was a whopping Rs.500 less per tyre so it seemed a no brainer. Today after driving in all conditions- dry, wet, bad roads, smooth roads I can say very happily that the choice was correct, these tyres accept all kinds of terrain and cushions the car in just the right way. It is also hard enough to maintain stability and send in good road feel & steering feedback. As all others have said, Earth-1 is the THE VFM tyre and I applaud Yokohama for making a tyre just for India. These tyres excel in wet flooded roads due to the 3-vertical sipes design.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 19:55   #230
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
After buying my new alloys I had to install new tyres. Size was decided at 195/60 R15....
They look great overall.

Can you post a picture taken from the rear? I want to see how it looks when viewed from the rear?! Thanks.

I am confused to go for 185/65 R15 or the 195/60 R15.
Old 21st July 2015, 21:46   #231
BHPian

I have to go ahead and change the tyres of my swift in about a months time from now. I thought of shifting to Yoko Earth 1 as I am using A Drive right now. But I am unable t get the size in Earth 1, I am running 185/70 - R14 on my A Drive. Which other tyres can I go for?
Old 21st July 2015, 23:51   #232
vdm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
I have to go ahead and change the tyres of my swift in about a months time from now. I thought of shifting to Yoko Earth 1 as I am using A Drive right now. But I am unable t get the size in Earth 1, I am running 185/70 - R14 on my A Drive. Which other tyres can I go for?
You could go in for 195/60/R14 in Yoko Earth one. For the swift it's one of the best upgrade. Even I have the same size tyre running on my swift. The handling & braking has improved a lot since this upgrade.
Old 22nd July 2015, 00:33   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
They look great overall.

Can you post a picture taken from the rear? I want to see how it looks when viewed from the rear?! Thanks.

Hey, the ride quality will take a hit and to be honest, 185's are more than sufficient for the diesel even if you push it to its limits.

In 1 lakh 14 thousand kilometers, doing all sorts of circuses, one thing I have never felt lacking was grip.
Old 22nd July 2015, 00:52   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
You could go in for 195/60/R14 in Yoko Earth one. For the swift it's one of the best upgrade. Even I have the same size tyre running on my swift. The handling & braking has improved a lot since this upgrade.
Thanks vdm, but I am not willing to go more higher than the current tyre size of 185/70 - R14. But apart from Earth1 what are other options in this tyre size.
Old 22nd July 2015, 01:19   #235
Senior - BHPian

If you cannot get the Earth 1 in the stock size, then I would recommend the Continental Comfort Contact 5 or the CC5. I bought these (185/70R14)for my Swift zxi a few months back and these are excellent tires, very silent and very grippy. These are made in India at Modipuram in the spanking new plant set up by Continental.

In case you wish to upsize then the correct size is 195/60R15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:52   #236
BHPian

After serving me well for close to 50K kilometers, the MRF ZLO on my Linea are about to be replaced. I am happy with the tires and won't mind another set of the same. But I have been thinking of fixing the odometer errors with 65 profile instead of 60 and unfortunately ZLO is not available in 195/65R15. The other tire I have shortlisted in the same price range is the Yoko Earth 1. Has anyone got a chance to compare these two? Also what is the price I can expect for 195/65R15 in Bangalore? TyreOnWheels.com is quoting about 4845. Is this a reasonable price and is the vendor reliable? Any input will be appreciated.
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:25   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
They look great overall.

Here are three photos taken from the rear, including close ups of the tyres. The ramp is an anti-waterlogging measure

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_4062.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_4065.jpg Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_4067.jpg

Last edited by Kumar R : 23rd July 2015 at 16:32.
Old 25th July 2015, 00:01   #238
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Hey, the ride quality will take a hit and to be honest, 185's are more than sufficient for the diesel even if you push it to its limits.

In 1 lakh 14 thousand kilometers, doing all sorts of circuses, one thing I have never felt lacking was grip.
Thanks buddy. Yes, I am going to stick to 185/65 R15.

Shall be getting the shoe change done soon. Visited 3 to 4 dealers and all suggest to stick for another 3-4K kms. Currently the odometer reads 51K so will be doing when at 55K which is a month and half almost from now.

Yet to get prices and offers for a set of 4 tyres.
Old 26th July 2015, 11:14   #239
BHPian

I have heard that small stones get trapped in the tread of the the earth 1 tyres and then make that clackity clack noise while driving.
The owners can probably verify this. So do you guys experience this?
Old 29th July 2015, 14:29   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
I have heard that small stones get trapped in the tread of the the earth 1 tyres and then make that clackity clack noise while driving.
The owners can probably verify this. So do you guys experience this?
Yes that does happen and they even used to happen in the Yoko A.Drive's as well. But how is that a concern ?

IMO that will happen in most of the tires which have wider treads. I remember have the same issue in Pirelli Aquamile's as well.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed