Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 08:48   #286
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Have you not been able to form an opinion after a month of usage, go with what you feel. If you think you made the right choice with the XM2 based on your own experience then repeat the purchase if you think not, go for the other make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishmathur14 View Post
I was pretty sure on Michelin XM2 as i had installed the same on my Wagon R last month and they feel good, But after going through this thread i am feeling confused./QUOTE]

I am not using WagonR much, its at my home town and my brother uses, I used it for 5-6 days with new tires and they felt really good.
Recent readings on the forum led me to cases of wall breaks in Michelin, which made me reconsider and post.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th January 2016 at 23:27. Reason: fixed quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:45   #287
Senior - BHPian

Choice of tyres depend on your usage, driving pattern and the roads you mostly drive.

This is my take for you: If you are driving mostly on city and good roads and occasional highways or bad roads, Michelin XM2 may be a good choice.

Otherwise, if you frequently use your car on bad roads and needs a stronger sidewalls, go for Yoko Earth-1.

My 2 cents...

-Ravi
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:13   #288
BHPian

Hi, I would need help in finalizing tyres for my Punto (185/70 R14).

Currently it is running on Bridgestone Potenza G3 and has done 46K kilometers. Now it is time for a change and Earth 1 was on top of my list along with Michelin XM2 and Bridgestone ER60. Considering MRF ZLO as well.

Could someone please suggest how will Earth1 fare against G3's? G3's are unidirectional sporty tires. Dry and wet grip along with ride comfort is the need but I get to drive on bad roads occasionally as well. Pretty confused.
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:59   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviRai12 View Post
Hi, I would need help in finalizing tyres for my Punto (185/70 R14).

Currently it is running on Bridgestone Potenza G3 and has done 46K kilometers. Now it is time for a change and Earth 1 was on top of my list along with Michelin XM2 and Bridgestone ER60. Considering MRF ZLO as well.

Could someone please suggest how will Earth1 fare against G3's? G3's are unidirectional sporty tires. Dry and wet grip along with ride comfort is the need but I get to drive on bad roads occasionally as well. Pretty confused.
I have used Earth1, ZLO and XM2 but have no experience with G3. I will rate ZLO better than others in ride comfort and it is better than XM2 for bad roads. However, I think Earth1 will fair better than ZLO on bad roads. Earth1 is very good package overall.

P.S: XM2 (currently on my Swift) are over rated IMO.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 23rd December 2015 at 13:01.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:09   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I have used Earth1, ZLO and XM2 but have no experience with G3. I will rate ZLO better than others in ride comfort and it is better than XM2 for bad roads. However, I think Earth1 will fair better than ZLO on bad roads. Earth1 is very good package overall.

P.S: XM2 (currently on my Swift) are over rated IMO.
Bridgestone G3 was aamzing in last 46K kms with only 1 puncture till date. Only problem is the road noise. It was very silent for about 5K kms but after that, it was gradual increase in tyre noise all through. Apart from that no complaints.

In that case, I can leave XM2 out of equation. Will check out Earth1 and ZLO.
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:43   #291
Senior - BHPian

Ive run my Beat on a new set of Earth 1s for two weeks now. Overall quite happy with them except for two things :

1] Gap between treads is quite wide in places and seems to be encouraging lots of small stones to get stuck in them. Will this be a problem down the road ?

2] Brand new tire got a puncture when it went to the ASS. A big nail got stuck in. Freak accident by chance or is the wide open area near the center tread a weak spot that will allow such punctures to get through which might not with a more closed tread pattern ?
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:13   #292
BHPian

Hello Mortis, I have done 34000 km on Earth1. The tread on the car can easily do another 15-20k I feel. Punctures are rare, and overall the tyres have performed well. The wide grooves are for water drainage on wet roads and work to enhance the wet grip. Gravel does get stuck in the tread but get thrown off at speed. Nothing to worry, behavior is consistent with similar tires. Deeper the treads (newer the tyre) more gravel you see between treads).

Last edited by autocrat : 23rd December 2015 at 20:15.
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:52   #293
BHPian

Got Yokohama Earth1 E400 tyres for my i20 today from Ramesh Tyres, Velachery. The car was on it's stock Apollo Acceleres for the past 47,416 kilometres. Two of the Apollos had completely degraded, whereas two were in various states of degradation. They also had several punctures along their life.

The Earth1 tyres cost ₹4,000 per tyre. Thus seemed the cheapest that I could get. Balancing and alignment extra at ₹600 and ₹200 respectively. Got ₹500 as buy back for two Acceleres. Total cost ₹16,300. The service was good and I'll recommend this place for others as well.

Initial reaction for the Earth1 tyres are very good. The tyres were manufactured in 40th week of 2015 (October first week). Improvement in drive quality and steering response is pretty evident. I'll update mid term and short term reviews down the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20160102_125648.jpg  

Last edited by y2ksrs : 2nd January 2016 at 14:00. Reason: Spelling mistake due to auto correct!!
Old 2nd January 2016, 17:33   #294
BHPian

Replaced Michelin XM2 on my fiesta with Earth 1 (Both 185/65/14). The Michelins had done over 50k Kms and still some depth left. Anyway, replaced all four wheel with Earth 1 based on reviews and discussion here. Also, wanted to save a few bucks and try something new. I think I made a mistake.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the tires are bad. I cant say as I haven't driven them for more than 5 kms yet. The only observation I have made is that the steering feels light and slightly free at dead center position. Not sure if that's good or bad.

The disappointing bit is the looks. Be it the tread, sidewall or the stance, XM2s looked PREMIUM and fuller, The sidewall looked high, more curved, wider and muscular. The Earth 1s look like any average joe wheels, they lack the presence and can pass of as average MRF tires. The tread is also not as deep as the XM2 (have new XM2s on my other car)
My sister who is not into cars but happens to see the fiesta every day asked me if I had reduced the size of the wheels on my car. They looked slightly puny. Infact my driver are also pointed out that they looked like a budget tire compared to the XM2s. Anyway, Whats done is done.

How much tire pressure is recommended as I drive solo mostly on good roads? I used to keep 33-34 in XM2 and they lasted well.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20160102_113032.jpg  

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20160102_113020.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2016, 18:38   #295
Senior - BHPian

the earth 1 is fatter & picks up stones too much. every month or so, i get a ticking sound which changes with speed ( the sort that you get if you have a wire or a nail stuck in the tyre) which turns out to be a stone stuck in the thread, and since there is not enough clearance with the wheel well, is rubbing on the inside - didnt have this issue with my acelere.
Old 13th January 2016, 23:17   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Replaced Michelin XM2 on my fiesta with Earth 1 (Both 185/65/14). The Michelins had done over 50k Kms and still some depth left. Anyway, replaced all four wheel with Earth 1 based on reviews and discussion here. Also, wanted to save a few bucks and try something new. I think I made a mistake.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the tires are bad. I cant say as I haven't driven them for more than 5 kms yet. The only observation I have made is that the steering feels light and slightly free at dead center position. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Any new set of tires will give you a feeling of a light steering for the first 300 kms. Things will improve after that. How are they feeling now?
I'm asking because the XM2s of my Figo are reaching 44000 clicks and I think I need to change them before they hit 50 K. I was having the Yoko Earth One's in mind, but your feedback has left me confused.

And though the XM2s are great, I did have 2 tires having sidewall cuts in the first few months. But I'd attribute that to rash driving by my son, and not entirely on the tire.

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th January 2016 at 23:19.
Old 13th January 2016, 23:23   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Replaced Michelin XM2 on my fiesta with Earth 1 (Both 185/65/14).
Hi Crazy_Bean,
Hope you are having a good ride with the new tyres.
Can you please tell me the treadwear rating written on these Earth1 tyres?
Old 15th January 2016, 22:03   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Any new set of tires will give you a feeling of a light steering for the first 300 kms. Things will improve after that. How are they feeling now?
I'm asking because the XM2s of my Figo are reaching 44000 clicks and I think I need to change them before they hit 50 K. I was having the Yoko Earth One's in mind, but your feedback has left me confused.

And though the XM2s are great, I did have 2 tires having sidewall cuts in the first few months. But I'd attribute that to rash driving by my son, and not entirely on the tire.
The tires feel ok. Here are my observations:

1. They are not that silent. Cruising at 100 on a good road I generally shift to neutral and these tires are not quiet. Or I should say XM2 were better.
2. The tires look inflated: now what I mean by that is that on the XM2 no matter how much air you fill, they always looked low on pressure. Not the case with these tires. The sidewall definitely looks and feels sturdy.
3. The ride quality is inferior to XM2. The tires feel hard. Need to maintain a pressure which is 2 PSi less than XM2 to soften the ride. Ride overall: Its not something to take note of nor is a deal breaker.
4. The grip levels are good
5. Dead center feel has also improved.

overall a good value for money tire. And the XM2 is definitely and will remain superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi Crazy_Bean,
Hope you are having a good ride with the new tyres.
Can you please tell me the treadwear rating written on these Earth1 tyres?
I specifically checked the tire but could not find it mentioned anywhere. Can other BHPians help?
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 22:17   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

overall a good value for money tire. And the XM2 is definitely and will remain superior.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. Based on your opinion, I think I'll go in for XM2s again.
Old 20th January 2016, 16:05   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
@Faramir, can you share your experience with Yoko Earth-1 in past 6 months. Am planning to change tyres for my 2011 i20 Asta Petrol. How is it in highways and bad roads compared to the stock Apollo accelere tyres? I am very happy with stock apollo tyres, but thought of changing to Yoko Earth-1 if the feedbacks and reviews are good.

-Ravi
Sorry for the late reply. Story with Yokos : So far so good. Had a big screw puncture on the 2nd day, so was apprehensive. But none after that. Felt that the steering is more heavy(earlier ones were 175) now. Have done few highway trips with this (Jaipur/Dehradun/Mussourie), and was absolutely fine. But still , 6 months is too early to comment. For sure , the grooves are a magnet for stone/gravel , and Gurgaon roads have abundant supply of those
Faramir is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks