Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 08:59   #391
BHPian

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Went for Michelin XM2 (195/60 R15). Costed 5.8k per tyre, 23.2 in total which also included wheel alignment and balancing.

Did a 1k KM road trip and could see marked difference in braking and road noise reduction.
Old 15th July 2019, 14:38   #392
BHPian

I have a Honda City (latest generation July 2018 model) and its current tyres are, Bridgestone Ecopia 185/55 R16; issue with these tyres is, side-wall is exposed and its getting damaged. As a result, my 2 tyres got busted now I am looking for an upgrade and confusion is with upsizing:
1st priority 205,55 R16 or
2nd priority 195,55 R16

Please advise on which size and brand should I go with, which will also not void warranty.
pankajparikh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 10:55   #393
BHPian

Honda City 2016 model. After over 48k, buttons in OEM tyres MRF ZVTS 175/65 R15 were not strong enough. Even one tyre was pretty damaged with bulges. So changed it with an upgrade. After reading much in this forum and across the web, went in for Michelin 195/60 R15 P4ST. It costs about 6.3k per tyre.

Initial experience is that there seems to be some extra grip and ride seems a little soft. Probably my imagination after all that I read. Anyway hope it stays that way. The seller said there will be FE drop of a 1km/lt.

My only concern is that due to soft rubber than compared to OEM will it get puncher often? Moreover, I felt, after 33psi still didn't see the full ballooning of tyre as was in original. I need to get used to new form tyre to assess the pressure. Do anyone use regular pressure gauge?
Old 17th August 2019, 18:12   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
However, there aren't too many choices available in the stock size - I could only find XM2 and Alnac 4G. Please let me know if there are others.

Looking forward to your comments!
Has anyone fitted 195/60 on standard steel wheels? Please let me know if there were any issues.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th August 2019 at 18:32. Reason: trimming quote for better readability
Old 17th August 2019, 19:53   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangaloreguy View Post
Has anyone fitted 195/60 on standard steel wheels? Please let me know if there were any issues.
There shouldn't be an issue but always recommended to upgrade to alloys for strength and more reliability.

Steel wheels should hold up absolutely fine though!
ankitahuja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 23:39   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, my car is running on Continentals 195/60 fitted on steel wheels for more than 02 years without any issue. Infact, this should have been standard size on this car.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 15:03   #397
SS4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajparikh View Post
Please advise on which size and brand should I go with, which will also not void warranty.
You can consider the 195/55 R16 tyres, as it's the recommended upsize (below the 2% difference - you can check here).
Anything other than the stock size is sure to void warranty, please get in touch with your service advisor for the same.

Name:  Screen Shot 20190818 at 2.52.32 PM.png
Views: 5096
Size:  58.2 KB
SS4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 23:41   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajparikh View Post
1st priority 205,55 R16 or
2nd priority 195,55 R16

I have gone for 195/55 R16 on my cityZX iDTec with Continental MC5 in March this year. Pretty good tyres with lots of grip and no complain so far. 205/55 R16 also might be a good upsize and infact one of the SA suggested me that size. However I think the steering might feel a bit heavier. I would suggest to stick to Michelin, Continental or Yokohama.
automachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 09:22   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shouldn't be any problems at all. I run 185 section tires on my steel-wheeled Honda Brio and there has been absolutely no issues at all. Similarly, know of couple of friends who run 195 and 205 section tires on their sedans which have steel wheels, without any issues whatsoever.

Please go ahead and upgrade to 195 sections. This is a ideal tire size for the City and will reward you with better grip, braking, ride and overall performance.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:21   #400
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have 2016 Honda City SV AT. I have done nearly 40k kms so far with the stock MRF tyres. The buttons are still quite decent and not worn off. But offlate I had to replace the tyre mouth 3-4 times in different wheels. No punctures in the tyre though. So couple of questions

1. Will replacing tyres help the tyre mouth problem in anyway. Are there any robust valves out there which i can replace?

2. In case I am to change the tyres, can you suggest a good long lasting one with good grips. I dont want to upgrade the size. I run mostly in Bangalore bad roads and highways. So reliability is more important to me.

Thanks guys
Old 21st August 2019, 13:15   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsriram View Post
I have 2016 Honda City SV AT. I have done nearly 40k kms so far with the stock MRF tyres. The buttons are still quite decent and not worn off. But offlate I had to replace the tyre mouth 3-4 times in different wheels. No punctures in the tyre though. So couple of questions

Even I faced the same issue. Again same car 2016 Honda City Petrol. As I used to go on long trips, suddenly the confidence was lost due to weak tyres. On many occasions the tyre would nearly flatten out, and on check up it would be just mouth issue. So I started carrying a foot pump in case of emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsriram View Post
1. Will replacing tyres help the tyre mouth problem in anyway. Are there any robust valves out there which i can replace?

For me it solved the problem. I did change at 48k kms. I did upgrade to 195/60 though.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st August 2019 at 22:33. Reason: fixed the quote tags
Old 10th January 2020, 13:35   #402
BHPian

Bought a second hand Honda City SV CVT 2014 that had done 54000 kms on the original set. Immediately headed to the new Madhu's enterprise and opted for Neo alloys(model is drone i guess) + Michelin Primacy 195 60 r15
Got a free USPA backpack with the Mich's

Costed me a total of 51600/- including wheel alignment, balancing and the alloy nuts

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20200110wa0007.jpg

Tyres

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20200110wa0009.jpg
Shortlisted ones

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20200110wa0010.jpg
Selected

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20200110wa0008.jpg
After installation

Must say the buying & installation experience was great. Looked like a swanky customer lounge is in the works as well

Too early to give a review on the tyres but definitely a step up in ride comfort compared to the 5 yr old 175 profile Bridgestone

Last edited by InControl : 10th January 2020 at 13:42. Reason: grammar grammar grammar :)
InControl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 11:21   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
I have gone for 195/55 R16 on my cityZX iDTec with Continental MC5 in March this year. Pretty good tyres with lots of grip and no complain so far. 205/55 R16 also might be a good upsize and infact one of the SA suggested me that size. However I think the steering might feel a bit heavier. I would suggest to stick to Michelin, Continental or Yokohama.
I discussed tyre upgrade for my City ZX during the service appointment. I had been earlier told that warranty could be a problem in case of any size change. But today the SA said that it would not be an issue, and also said that Michelin or Yokohama are good options for 195/55R16. But he allao stated that they haven’t generally received complaints on the stock Ecopia tyres of the ZX model.
Old 4th June 2020, 15:44   #404
BHPian

Hi guys,

My city needs new shoes for her and this time I am thinking of going for 195/60/r15. I have couple of questions so experienced bhpians please help me decide.

1) Is it safe to put 195/60 size on stock alloys?

2) Which tyre to go for?

My requirements are low road noise and strong enough sidewalls and straight line stability at 100-110kmph.

Options considered so far: michelin p4st(not sure about the sidewall strength) and mrf perfinzas.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Raghav96 : 4th June 2020 at 15:47.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:47   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Hi guys,

My city needs new shoes for her and this time I am thinking of going for 195/60/r15. I have couple of questions so experienced bhpians please help me decide.

1) Is it safe to put 195/60 size on stock alloys?

2) Which tyre to go for?

My requirements are low road noise and strong enough sidewalls and straight line stability at 100-110kmph.

Options considered so far: michelin p4st(not sure about the sidewall strength) and mrf perfinzas.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Raghav, I don't drive a city but a jazz and I was in a similar dilemma as you. I've done a similar tyre upsize on it. The tyres that were considered are

1. Continental MC5 - I've driven my friend's punto which is shod with 195 section tyres and those were pretty grippy and road noise was well contained. However these apparently wear out pretty fast, if i recollect properly our fellow BHPian and in house tyre expert Nikhil had reviewed these tyres and they lasted barely 25k kms! Hence this tyre was dropped.

2. Michelin P3ST - These are really good tyres and last reasonably long for a soft compound tyre, these tyres are pretty much default for anyone looking to Upsize/Upgrade and needs no introduction. I was quoted 6200₹ per tyre for the 195/60 R15 profile.

3. MRF Perfinza - Now this is what i call truly underrated tyres! From what i learnt from our tyre expert Nikhil's review is that these are almost 90%(maybe more) as good as the P3ST, in terms of grip level, tyre noise, wet grip! The multi brand store where i enquired about the other two tyres were hell bent on selling me the michelins and undermined the perfinzas as if these were like any other MRFs (No Offence to MRF owners). After much hesitation he quoted 5400₹ each but only 2 were in stock and asked for 4days time to procure them , gave them my number and left. Next day called up a few MRF T&S centres and almost everyone quoted a similar price of 5400₹ but only one dealer had a relatively newer stock i.e 36th week of 2019. Finalised the deal and installed them the next day, got free alignment and balancing as well but the cost of the balancing weight had to be paid.

Now coming to my experience in the last 2+ weeks and few hundred KMs , these tyres are supremely quiet! There is a flyover on my way to work, which is pretty damaged and the expansion joints were heavily protruding, I could hardly feel anything inside! Grip levels and braking has drastically improved. Slight drop in FE but initial pick up is not affected much(maybe because of the K&N filter i installed just before getting the tyres). All in all it is a VFM product by an Indian manufacturer, which actually matches or even betters the current offerings from renowned international brands. Highly recommended!

Note: These tyres come with 6years warranty from the date of manufacture as per MRF's website, try to get the most recently produced tyres if possible. The dealer said it is from the date of sale but i doubt it.

Last edited by Suchu90 : 1st July 2020 at 02:11. Reason: Forgot to add an important point about warranty
Suchu90 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed