Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 18:49   #496

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi Folks,

I have upgraded my 4th Gen Honda City tyres from stock to 195/60 R15 at 46000 kms . The ODO now stands at 76000 plus kms . How to get the actual kms covered after the upgrade ? Also is it possible to get the ODO corrected ?
Old 28th August 2023, 16:21   #497

Hi Everyone,

I own a 2019 Honda City VX CVT petrol.

I have been using the Bridgestone 185/55/R16 stock tyres until now.

I would like to upgrade them to 195/55/R16 as that would give me a slightly larger sidewall as compared to 205/50/R16.

My driving is mostly city and highways, but there are some road trips I do where I go through really bad patches of road.

Would like your input in terms of choosing a company for the tyres. I have read a lot of posts and gone through many videos and the tyres coming up are:

1) Michelin
2) Yokohama
3) Continental

What about Pirelli?

I'm looking for comfort, low noise, not prone to punctures and hopefully long lasting.

Would love to hear your inputs.
Old 9th September 2023, 20:11   #498

Also has anyone tried 205/55/R16? The deviation is 3.58% which is above the recommended 2% but I want to understand if anyone upgraded it to this size and faced any issues with it?

Also with such large deviations how to configure or reset the odometer as per the new tyres?
Old 8th October 2023, 19:01   #499

I want to upgrade my 2016 Honda City tyres to 195/60. How is Jk Tyre UX1 or MRF Zsport for this size?
Old 17th October 2023, 11:04   #500

My 2016 City Ivtec is currently running 195/60/15 Michelin P4ST changed when the odo read 40,000 in my stock XM2s(175/65/15). After the upgrade to 195 section, I felt an improvements in steering handling and had more planted ride. The stance was also improved. Now my odo reads 77,000 km and my P4STs are done and I found them to lose tread earlier than my stock, but amazing road grips even now in my last trip in the 40 bends of Valparai Hills.I am looking for an immediate tyre upgrade. I am sticking to the same size 195/60/15 but I am confused between Vredestein Ultra and MRF Perfinza. Kindly need help to choose. Thanks in Advance.
ezhil0707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:48   #501
BHPian

I have recently i.e. 10 days back upgraded my Honda city 2015 tyres from the stock 175/65 R15 to MRF Perfinza 195/60 R15 after doing a lot of research and reading almost all the reviews here on Team Bhp too .

As for tyre pressure, I would like to know what tyre pressure is being used by other members with this size of tyre.

I had first kept 33 front and back then reduced to 32 front and back but found the ride quite uncomfortable with the bang of the suspension on the bad and uneven road here in mumbai city which was quite uncomfortable.

I have come to understand tyres also need a run in and a highway drive in the plan soon too...

Now have reduced it further to 30 front and back the ride is more planted and comfortable. A bit of bang and sound still exists at certain times.

After the tyre change the braking confidence is two fold positive compared to before. The grip is excellent while driving and road noise has reduced considerably. The cornering too at speed also gives comfidence as compared to before.

My car came with Goodyear assurance from factory replaced all four at 210000 odd Kms to Bridgestone ecopia that lasted well till now car odo 46100 kms. ( spirited driving and mostly highway driven )

I stick to alignment every 5000 kilometes and balancing every 10000 kilometers.
Old 2nd November 2023, 22:37   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead View Post
I have recently i.e. 10 days back upgraded my Honda city 2015 tyres from the stock 175/65 R15 to MRF Perfinza 195/60 R15.

As for tyre pressure, I would like to know what tyre pressure is being used by other members with this size of tyre.

I had first kept 33 front and back then reduced to 32 front and back but found the ride quite uncomfortable with the bang of the suspension on the bad and uneven road here in mumbai city which was quite uncomfortable.

Now have reduced it further to 30 front and back the ride is more planted and comfortable. A bit of bang and sound still exists at certain times.
Honda's recommendation with the stock tyres is 32 psi for the front and 30 psi for the back, but with the upgraded tyres, I have found a comfortable ride at 33psi front and 31 psi on the rear tyres. Needless to add, these are cold tyre pressures before driving off. You may like to check if they work well for your tyres.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 00:00   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Will get it checked and report back.
But, as things stand, I would say that this so called upgrade doesn't feel like one.
Unlike some products which turn out to be 'meh' once the newness wears off, I'm starting to like these tyres as I use them more. I've posted my revised impressions in the Perfinza thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5662279 (Review: MRF Perfinza Tyres)
Old 25th November 2023, 12:41   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
OEMs on my Honda City IDtec Edge are Bridgestone 175/65 R15 Alloys ....wore off more than I expected at 47000Km.

I zeroed on MRF Perfinzas 195/60 R15

Will post further observations in future.
Changed tires @ 47k km

Hitting 87k km ...

the car has run on perfinzas for about 40k km and still the tread is holding good. ( 90pc highway)

As far as I see, I am incredibly satisfied with the performance ( barring one tire that got pinhole puncture on the sidewall which had to be replaced - bad luck )

Regardless, having done a few insane triple digit speeds, the grip levels have been amazing and confidence inspiring ( on well laid open Highways) . The riding comfort and noise have sufficed my needs.

For travellers who often take highway drives, perfinzas offer great performance .
Attached Thumbnails
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20231125-12.00.102.jpeg  

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20231125-12.00.103.jpeg  

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20231125-12.00.10.jpeg  

Old 21st February 2024, 21:40   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead View Post
I have recently i.e. 10 days back upgraded my Honda city 2015 tyres from the stock 175/65 R15 to MRF Perfinza 195/60 R15 after doing a lot of research and reading almost all the reviews here on Team Bhp too .

I have come to understand tyres also need a run in and a highway drive in the plan soon too...

After the tyre change the braking confidence is two fold positive compared to before. The grip is excellent while driving and road noise has reduced considerably. The cornering too at speed also gives comfidence as compared to before.

My car came with Goodyear assurance from factory replaced all four at 210000 odd Kms to Bridgestone ecopia that lasted well till now car odo 46100 kms. ( spirited driving and mostly highway driven )

I stick to alignment every 5000 kilometes and balancing every 10000 kilometers.
I upgraded my tires to Continental UC6 195 width on the 15" stock alloys. I have done around 30k on these. And I have always run them on 35psi front and 35 psi back on Nitrogen. Excellent handling. And lower wear and tear.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st February 2024 at 21:42.
hondadriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 08:17   #506
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Just updating this thread.

I have a 2014 Honda City i-VTEC, run a little over 2,35,000kms.

Currently running Continental UltraContact UC6 195/60 R15

The journey so far:
(most kilometers are approximate, a couple of Hundred kms +/-)
1. Car was delivered with Goodyear GT3 175/65 R15 from the factory in 2014, ran for about 31,000kms (ODO reading) in about 1 year and 3 months.

2. Swapped the above for Bridgestone Turanza AR20 195/60 R15, in mid-2015. My initial review of the same has been posted here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4250857 (Bridgestone Turanza AR-20 - Launching soon in India).
They ran for about 55,000kms, and changed them in mid-2017. The ODO was somewhere around 86,000kms when I changed the tyres.

3. The third set of shoes, were Michelin Primacy 4ST 195/60 R15. Ran for about 65,000kms. By far the best set of tyres I have driven so far, super silent, comfortable, and has very good dry and wet grip. The ODO was somewhere around 1,50,000kms when I changed these in mid-2020. Changed them cause the tyres developed cracks and grip levels had reduced.

4. My fourth set of shoes, I was a repeat Michelin customer; changed to Michelin XM2 195/60 R15. Ran for just 45,000kms. It was good, but not Primacy 4ST good. The reason I went for these was that India had a tyre ban and Michelin tyre imports were affected. I am not sure of the reason for the low mileage; maybe it was the concrete roads of Mangalore City of Karnataka or the frequent Mangalore-Bangalore runs I had to do at the time. This ODO was 1,95,000kms when I changed these, in November 2022.

5. My current set, the Continental UltraContact UC6 195/60 R15. I liked this better than the Michelin Primacy 4ST. Not as silent as the Michelins, but has more grip levels and is just as comfortable as the Michelins. These tyres come with 2 years unconditional warranty. (https://www.continental-tires.com/in...nd-Conditions/)
I was planning on getting MRF Perferinzas, but I had a trip to make the following week and needed the change urgently. If I could have waited for 1-2 weeks, I could have gotten the Perferinzas. Still has enough thread left in them for maybe another 15k-20k kms, time will tell.
Notes:
- I regularly do wheel alignment every 4000-5000kms. Wheel balancing and rotation along with every 2nd alignment visit.
- Did suspension overhaul around 1,75,000kms.
- I have changed my lower arms maybe 2 times so far.
- All tyre changes have been in sets of 4.
- Tyres are usually filled with Nitrogen. Pressures maintained between 32-34 PSI.
- I do quite a bit of running, and mostly around the 5 states of South India, so I have driven the tyres on a lot of mixed roads.

Additional information for the thread:

*Regarding 195/65 R15 upsize on stock rims (15 x 6.5J)
A friend of mine did this upsize for his Jazz 2015 model. It is quite comfortable and has raised the ground clearance quite a bit. It DOES NOT touch the wheel wells and wheel arches under full load and end-to-end steering input/turn. My educated guess is that this size might be suitable for the City.

*Regarding 205/55 R15 upsize on stock rims (15 x 6.5J)
Another person I know, did this upsize on their City, 2016 model. While they did not have issues with wheel wells and wheel arches touching, the tyres did look odd and did not suit the 6.5J of the stock alloys. I cannot comment about comfort, handling and grip levels, as I have not driven the car with this configuration.
themonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 13:36   #507

Hello

I drive a Honda City VX 4th gen facelift 2017 model and have always felt that the stock tyres were not of adequate width with 185/55/16 size. I also encountered 2 sidewall punctures due to potholes and that further compelled me towards the change.

The factory Bridgestone Ecopia tyres are meant for extracting the most mileage so comfort and minimising road noise are not their strong suit.

Low ground clearance also is a known fact about the City which damaged the Plastic engine splash guard. I once had to stop the car and get it repaired during a trip as it started to touch and drag on the road. Ultimately had to get it adjusted and fixed properly at a Honda dealership with a few clips and screws.

Both these issues nagged me whenever I planned to go any long trips so I finally decided to upsize the tyres.

Researched a lot on team-bhp and finally decided on Yokohama Earth-1 195/60/16 with the stock rims. The tyre shop owner initially refused to install the size as he was sure that on turning full lock of steering, the tires would touch but I insisted and after installing both the fronts we took a test drive and it was all good. The owner of the shop was surprised to say the least. What I learned was that aftermarket rims are an issue with this upsize but stock Alloys don’t pose any problem, at least that’s what the shop owner said. I have always liked the stock alloys a lot so never changed.

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0389.jpeg

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0390.jpeg

Now I know that the difference in circumference is 5% and that it’s more than the recommended 2% but I feel in my case it solves all the issues.
1. The ground clearance has increased and I know that for sure because the car doesn’t scrape on places it did before.
2. Because of the increased sidewall, the ride quality has improved a lot and has given me peace of mind when accidentally carrying more speed over potholes.
3. Wider section makes the car more stable at triple digit speeds. I feel195 should have been the default size from the factory.
4. Yokohamas have also made the cabin a lot more quiet - NVH has improved dramatically.

When I first drove the car after the upgrade, I couldn’t believe that all these improvements were instant and happening just with a tyre change. I initially thought there might be some placebo effect involved but such was not the case - every single person that sat in the car after that change instantly expressed the plushier ride and “cloud like feeling over bad road imperfections ” They could see the bumps but not feel them.
I was delighted.

5. And the most unexpected or rather unplanned advantage is that now the speedometer reads the actual speed (factory speedometer reads about 5-10% more than the vehicle’s speed for safety regulations) I have verified this using gps speed from my phone and also from the speed traps that are setup to display speed on highways.

Now coming to the not so good part
1. The odometer reads 5% less distance - I knew it was going to happen so wasn’t a surprise. The only change is that I have stopped looking at the odometer to quote distances.

2. Mileage has gone down but not by a lot
Earlier used to get 17.x in the cluster but afterwards I have seen the highest in the 16.x range only.
Now it’s just a speculation but because of odo error maybe the mileage is not dropped by what it shows as the car is covering more distance on same fuel but to the computer it’s the distance is decreased by 5% - so the display shows less milage because it’s calculated as Km/L. I have not verified it by tank to tank method.
What I basically want to say is that the benefits outweigh the drop in milage by a lot and it’s not even a concern.

I made the tyre changes in August 2022. That car had then ran around 35K km
Now the Odo reads around 49K so I have driven these tyres close to 15k. All the advantages hold true till date and I am very pleased with the upgrade. Never had any puncture during this time. All I can think is why I didn’t upgrade the tyres earlier.

Because of the increased sidewall, the tyres fill the arches properly and give the car a better stance - an impression that the car is lowered. In my eyes the chunkier sidewall and filled up arches make my car look better too - a little bit sports car like.

The day I got them installed
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo20220819181832.jpeg

Present day
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0229.jpeg

Costing -
Shop - Tyre Point, 21 Old Arjun Nagar, Delhi (https://maps.app.goo.gl/xTm8yVN9yeJkLPncA?g_st=ic)
Owner is polite. Would recommend the place. Authorised seller of Yokohama.

I replaced all 5 tyres including the spare as the City comes with a proper size alloy.
Make sure to check for the date of manufacture of the tyre - mine were 3022 which means 30th week of 2022 that is 25-31 July. So less than a month old(installed in August 2022)
Rate ₹7,400 per tyre - total ₹37,000 for 5.

The original tyres had ran 35K and 2 of them had punctures - both sidewall but I got one repaired professionally and had kept that as the spare tyre.
The shop accepted all 5 at ₹5,000

Got a message from Yokohama acknowledging the purchase and warranty.

Got balancing and alignment done for free. Only cost of weights was charged.

Total cost - ₹32,000

Hope this was helpful!
Dr.M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 01:40   #508

I just bought a 2016 Honda City VX CVT. The previous owner has upgraded to one size larger wheels and the tyres used are Pirelli sport 4 205/50/R15 tyres. They look amazing and make the car look a lot more more sportier. The wheels come out of the body ever so slightly however never faced any issues with it.

My question - What is expected in terms of ride quality with this upgrade? I've not driven any other Honda city before, however compared to my older Figo, the suspension feels slightly stiffer. Is that a car problem or wheel problem?
Attached Thumbnails
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20240327010647.jpg  

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20240324200922.jpg  

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20240324191900.jpg  

Old 30th March 2024, 08:48   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srv05srv View Post
I just bought a 2016 Honda City VX CVT. The previous owner has upgraded to one size larger wheels and the tyres used are Pirelli sport 4 205/50/R15 tyres. They look amazing and make the car look a lot more more sportier. The wheels come out of the body ever so slightly however never faced any issues with it.

My question - What is expected in terms of ride quality with this upgrade? I've not driven any other Honda city before, however compared to my older Figo, the suspension feels slightly stiffer. Is that a car problem or wheel problem?
I see Michelins and not Pirellis. Being a low profile tire, expect a harsher ride. The handing should be little tighter. However, be careful on Indian roads with low profile tires. Chances of damaging the side walls or getting bulges are higher due to our road conditions.

Just by the looks of it, please check if front wheels have proper clearance with the wheel well while turning the steering either ways. Also, getting an impression that rear wheels might scrape the wheel well on road undulations with a fully loaded car. In my opinion, 195s would have been a better choice.

Last edited by saket77 : 30th March 2024 at 08:52.
Old 30th March 2024, 09:46   #510
Senior - BHPian

Those alloys look like they have a negative offset, which may be bad for your car and your wallet (suspension wear and tear , potentially illegal and very visible. Kerala MVD would flag it in an instant, not sure about KA)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ious-cars.html (How Important Is the Offset (ET) of a Wheel During Wheel Upgrade for Various Cars?)

Last edited by greenhorn : 30th March 2024 at 09:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks