Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2008, 22:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Amtak, if the rim has been checked, perhaps it is the SEATING area of the valve that is causing the leak. Check around the seat for leaks.
Arup, what do you mean by the seating area? do you mean to say that i should check if it's rubbing against the rim?
Old 1st June 2008, 22:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Amtak
Follow as Ishan has suggested and also get the tire checked once again from a different tire/puncture shop.
Thanks Prajesh. Will do the needful in the coming week.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:29   #78
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Amtak. For tubeless tyres the filling valve is fitted to the rim as there is no tube to attach it to. Check that there is no leakage from the area of contact between the valve and the rim.
Also, since steel rims are two halves welded together, please check the whole seam for leaks. There could be a small leak from this circumferential welded seam.
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

will give it a last try tomorrow or else will buy a new steel rim over the weekend. can't help it, no other choice!!! didn't know that it is advisable to buy alloys with tubeless tires!
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:59   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
will give it a last try tomorrow or else will buy a new steel rim over the weekend. can't help it, no other choice!!! didn't know that it is advisable to buy alloys with tubeless tires!
That gives you a very nice excuse to buy new alloys for your car.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 2nd June 2008 at 22:01.
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:55   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
That gives you a very nice excuse to buy new alloys for your car.
I am actually contempleting doing that! please sms me your address. I need to send you the billcheers:
Old 10th June 2008, 14:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

I had my first puncture on a tubeless tire yesterday. The person who repaired the tire put some gel and a stick like thing from the area where the cut was made and said it is how it is repaired. Okay, the puncture has been sealed but that glue which he used is still there and looks like some dirt that's struck on the tire. I asked him to remove it and he says, its got to be there and cannot be removed or else the seal would break. Does that mean that whenever there's a puncture, I would get my tires looking more and more dirty?
Old 10th June 2008, 14:20   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had my first puncture on a tubeless tire yesterday. The person who repaired the tire put some gel and a stick like thing from the area where the cut was made and said it is how it is repaired.
Does that mean that whenever there's a puncture, I would get my tires looking more and more dirty?

Was the puncture in the tread area or sidewall? Not quite clear from your post.
Old 10th June 2008, 14:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Was the puncture in the tread area or sidewall? Not quite clear from your post.
I am so sorry. My mistake! It was on the sidewall. The place where its written Michelin XM+
Old 10th June 2008, 14:53   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had my first puncture on a tubeless tire yesterday. The person who repaired the tire put some gel and a stick like thing from the area where the cut was made and said it is how it is repaired. Okay, the puncture has been sealed but that glue which he used is still there and looks like some dirt that's struck on the tire. I asked him to remove it and he says, its got to be there and cannot be removed or else the seal would break. Does that mean that whenever there's a puncture, I would get my tires looking more and more dirty?
Side wall punctures are very rare. It happens only when one nicks a sharp stone on the curb or in a pothole. in the last 10 years I have had only one such puncture. So don't really worry about it.

Having said that there is a better way of fixing punctures on tubeless tyres - Plug (mushroom typre) method. where the plug is inserted from inside the tyre and the puncture is sealed off. see the details in the bridgestone site - Indian Tyre Companies, Passenger Car Tyres
Old 10th June 2008, 15:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Side wall punctures are very rare. It happens only when one nicks a sharp stone on the curb or in a pothole. in the last 10 years I have had only one such puncture. So don't really worry about it.

Having said that there is a better way of fixing punctures on tubeless tyres - Plug (mushroom typre) method. where the plug is inserted from inside the tyre and the puncture is sealed off. see the details in the bridgestone site - Indian Tyre Companies, Passenger Car Tyres
Hi DF,

Thanks for the link. He also used some similar technique and the only thing what he did was, he inserted the rubber stick from outside and said once it enters inside, it'll bloat blocking the puncture. However, the excess of that stick is outside and when I asked him to cut it, he said it'll result in puncture opening up! I'll try to take a snap and post it here.
Old 10th June 2008, 16:37   #87
BANNED

Tubeless tyres are very simple in their structure and operation.

Instead of a tube the tyre and the rims act as a completely sealed units and theres on valve on the rim(specially made) which deflates or inflates the tyre.

The tube element is negated and thus reducing friction inside the tyres during running.

There's no harm of weak tube, or removing the tube to fix the puncture.
You only have to locate the nail or some other particle that has penetrated, There are kits available at all tyre centre's ( i have Serv Seal) a kit with all equipments in it.

Procedure:
1) Remove the nail with the nose plier.
2) One more plier is given to enlarge the area of puncture
3) A sew plier is given wherein you have to insert the puncture seal and pierce it halfway into the tyre and just pull it back.

Presto.. your puncture is sealed.

I've done this twice on my M-800.
Old 10th June 2008, 18:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

Pavan,

What is the cost of the repair kit with the solution?
Old 10th June 2008, 20:46   #89
BHPian

Procedure:
3) A sew plier is given wherein you have to insert the puncture seal and pierce it halfway into the tyre and just pull it back.

I've done this twice on my M-800.[/quote]

I think it is not as easy as you mention it !!! The plier provided to insert @ the puncture point and with the solution hanging in needs practise to do the same !! This all has to be done with force and one slippage might reult in the plier ending in your leg too !! The soultion need s to be distribute d too so as it does nt form a lump !! It aint a D I Y stuff pal !!
Old 11th June 2008, 11:48   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Tubeless tyres are very simple in their structure and operation.

Instead of a tube the tyre and the rims act as a completely sealed units and theres on valve on the rim(specially made) which deflates or inflates the tyre.

The tube element is negated and thus reducing friction inside the tyres during running.

There's no harm of weak tube, or removing the tube to fix the puncture.
You only have to locate the nail or some other particle that has penetrated, There are kits available at all tyre centre's ( i have Serv Seal) a kit with all equipments in it.

Procedure:

I've done this twice on my M-800.
Pawan,

This precisely what that gentleman did. I was wondering what was the point of enlarging the area of puncture. Was he doing the right thing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks