Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 21:27   #136
BHPian

Nct5

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I have seen quite often in this forum a big NO to Good year Eagle NCT 5 which came with some stock Civics, including mine.

Though I am not technically good in tyre related matters, my impressions about NCT5 for the last 25K km in my civic was pretty good. I have driven on quite higher speeds, off roaded into real nasty roads and they held well. It seems the threads on it will last another 15k or so.

The road noise is not noticeable inside the cabin. Braking is good, still remains in acceptable band - no surprises. High speed runs (wherever it went in excess of 160kmph to 190kmph) it stays fine and grips the road.

I am an enthusiastic driver, but not reckless or unusually demanding.

Now I am quite curious to know why NCTs are a NO? or percieved to be bad.
My NCT5 lasted only 28,500 kms (Civic-AT). Maybe it was because I had driven a lot on ghat roads. I had it changed to Michelin MXV8 now. One disadvantage of NCT5 I feel is: It squeals when cornered hard or braked hard. One advantage of NCT5 is that I never got a puncture even though it took on extremely bad Indian roads.
Old 18th January 2009, 10:58   #137
Senior - BHPian

The MXV8s are very good tires. Very quiet and comfortable. Its standard on Civics now.
Old 24th February 2009, 19:44   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
I recently got BFG g-Force Sport 205/60/15s. They are quite grippy but noisy. But, I'm NOT complaining!! Once again, a big THANK YOU to the friendly forum tirewalle bhhaiyaji!
Have you noticed any mileage drop with the wider footprint? I am planning this upsize in my next change. But planning for 205/65/15, helps a bit on the GC and ride yet within recommended limits. Plan is for Bridgestone Turanza ER60. Comments from experts?
Old 24th February 2009, 21:22   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
The MXV8s are very good tires. Very quiet and comfortable. Its standard on Civics now.
I think it is the XM1+s which are standard. Not the MXV8s. MXV8s are phased out. They were never OEM on the Civic. Michelin knew long back that they would be phased out.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:40   #140
BHPian

nah MXV8 are the stock tires on civic. we bought a civic in Nov last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-250220081054.jpg  

Old 24th February 2009, 23:00   #141
Senior - BHPian

@ Dinu - Haven't really checked the milage after the change.

@ Nikhilb2008 - Well, my car came with MXV8s.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:55   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

aaah ok. My mistake then. Maybe it was Michelin's way of clearing their stocks :P
Old 30th April 2009, 16:17   #143
BHPian

@dinu

I just got the tires of our family's Civic replaced. Original were 195/65/R15 Bridgestone B250. Replaced them with 205/65/R15 B390.

And there is a noticable difference now. The car rides better, handles better and goes over speed breakers without scraping even with 4 (heavy) people in the car (where earlier it scraped)!

I considered Michelin Primacy LC and Yokohama A-drives also but they were much softer than the Bridgestones which was not in tune with my requirements - primarily being to raise the GC of the car.

So I think the Turanzas should be good also although the tire dealer told me that they're noisier.
Old 30th April 2009, 17:09   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
@dinu

I just got the tires of our family's Civic replaced. Original were 195/65/R15 Bridgestone B250. Replaced them with 205/65/R15 B390.

And there is a noticable difference now. The car rides better, handles better and goes over speed breakers without scraping even with 4 (heavy) people in the car (where earlier it scraped)!

I considered Michelin Primacy LC and Yokohama A-drives also but they were much softer than the Bridgestones which was not in tune with my requirements - primarily being to raise the GC of the car.

So I think the Turanzas should be good also although the tire dealer told me that they're noisier.
Thanks for the feedback. Gives me more courage to go ahead with this. Regarding noise, I'm surprised, the reviews of Turanza ER60 points to a relatively quiet tyre. Any comments from Guru's?
Old 30th April 2009, 17:27   #145
Senior - BHPian

Turanza is a v good trye, quiet and comfortable. drove about 25k kms and had no issues...it had seen bad roads..no raods and high speeds and lot of wet roads... it behaved fantatic.

I would recommend it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Gives me more courage to go ahead with this. Regarding noise, I'm surprised, the reviews of Turanza ER60 points to a relatively quiet tyre. Any comments from Guru's?
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:04   #146
BHPian

205/60 R15 Pp2

I am thinking about changing over to 205/60 R15 Michelin Pilot Preceda PP2.
I have seen many posts on changing to 205/65 R15 but never the above size. I guess that since that above dia is less than OEM and since the Civic is already known for low ground clearance is the problem.

Since I do not want to upgrade the stock alloys (15"), my only choice for a sport tyre (PP2) is the above size (I want only Michelin PP2!).

Also another madness!, I want to change only two tyres first, in the rear. Because two of my existing tyres are good.

From the Michelin web page I find that the dia/circumference of 205/60 R15 is only 1.29% less than that of OEM size. (205/65 R15 is more bigger comparatively).

I am worried that ABS will get confused about the different dia's when brakes are applied.

Any ideas? Has anyone tried this? If mixing sizes is a problem, I can then upgrade all four then.

(My OEM was NCT5, now I have MXV8 with OEM size of 195/65 R15)
(for the record: I had 205/50 R15 PP2 in my old OHC-1.5 and they were damn good!)
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:10   #147
Senior - BHPian

I've reread this thread and I'm not clear on a few things. I need to change my tyres pretty soon as I've ripped one and another one is pretty close to being ripped !

I have a few prerequisites.

Cannot change the stock rims. Downturn!

I cannot compromise on GC as I stay in an area with a few horrendous speed bumps.

Lot of highway highspeed driving. 80% of my Civic odo has been on highways.

What are the options though limited that I have? Help please.

And are tyres cheaper in TN than Bangalore? I can procure them from Chennai/Coimbatore if need be.
Old 24th May 2009, 20:49   #148
BHPian

more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
I need to change my tyres pretty soon as I've ripped one and another one is pretty close to being ripped !

Lot of highway highspeed driving. 80% of my Civic odo has been on highways.

What are the options though limited that I have? Help please.
Mine lasted only 28K (I do 90% highway and lots of ghat-road driving).
Can you let me know how many kms your tyres have done, and the make ?
Old 25th May 2009, 12:06   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
@dinu

Reppy, Thanks for this post. I was looking to upgrade my Civic tyres and came across this.

However, I really want to make sure this will not foul the wheel wells or have any other impact on suspension. Since it's been some time that you changed could you share if there are any additional experiences. Thanks indeed in advance.

Appreciate your guidance.
Old 25th May 2009, 13:54   #150
Senior - BHPian

Mine's done around 25K so far. Though the treads in the other 3 are good I don't want to change a couple of them alone. So decided to change all five. Now if someone can answer my questions...

Most Viewed