Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 21:19   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
MRFs, yeah?
Just my suggestion, go for conti eco 3. The ride will be something of a revelation coming from the factory boots.
And whatever you do, don't get tempted by NCTs. (Just relating from own experience.)
My radar is only pointing towards Michelins. Contis are great, but their volume of sales is not enough, so they might be priced high. Two of my friends have Contis on their Cruzes, but they cost them a bomb.

I've had enough of Good Years on my M800. They are a big 'no no' for me.
Old 27th April 2013, 18:48   #257
Senior - BHPian

My patience was wearing out, so I called Ashoka Wheels today and asked if they have stock of 2013-manufactured XM2s. They verified and said that the latest they have has a time stamp of week 32, which translates to July or August.

I checked another dealer nearby and he too said that till the main Michellin dealer exhausts all 2012 stock, they will not order for fresh ones. This being the case, I think it is better to wait for a month and check again. It looks ridiculous to buy a tyre that was made more than 4 or 5 months back.

Does anyone have any recommendation of whether to wait or go for the kill?
Old 28th April 2013, 08:32   #258
Senior - BHPian

Have you checked out if the Pirellis are available in that size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Does anyone have any recommendation of whether to wait or go for the kill?
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 22:47   #259
Senior - BHPian

No, I did not. I knew that Pirellis were a premium brand like Michelin and Yokohama, but was told that they hardly have a significant presence in India. Same is the case with Continentals.

Therefore I am not too keen in going for a brand that is not selling in sufficient volumes.
Old 28th April 2013, 22:57   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, I did not. I knew that Pirellis were a premium brand like Michelin and Yokohama, but was told that they hardly have a significant presence in India. Same is the case with Continentals.

Therefore I am not too keen in going for a brand that is not selling in sufficient volumes.
The conti Eco 3 were 4800 a pop in January. How much are the others?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 11:02   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The conti Eco 3 were 4800 a pop in January. How much are the others?
Thanks for the information. Did you go for them? They are more or less the same price as the Michelin XM2s.
Old 29th April 2013, 11:13   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Did you go for them? They are more or less the same price as the Michelin XM2s.
Well, yeah.
Thats primarily why I suggested them to you.
Old 29th April 2013, 11:16   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, yeah.
Thats primarily why I suggested them to you.

Great, then can you please post a brief evaluation of their pros and cons, compared to competition?

I know that 2 of my pal's have them on their Cruzes, but was not sure if they were available for the Fiesta. What profile did you go for?

I'll also add them to my 'quest' list.

Edit: I think you have a Fiesta S that runs on 15 inch alloys. Am I right? In that case, there might not be any for 14" rims.

Last edited by vnabhi : 29th April 2013 at 11:19.
Old 29th April 2013, 11:26   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great, then can you please post a brief evaluation of their pros and cons, compared to competition?

I know that 2 of my pal's have them on their Cruzes, but was not sure if they were available for the Fiesta. What profile did you go for?

I'll also add them to my 'quest' list.

Edit: I think you have a Fiesta S that runs on 15 inch alloys. Am I right? In that case, there might not be any for 14" rims.
Nope. Vanilla 1.6 Sxi.
These are conti eco sport 3s. They were quite easily available, OTS.
Regular 185/65.
I moved from the MRFs to the NCT5, to these. So the improvement has been sort of incremental. But i remember enough of the factory shoes to know that these are about 200% quiter, and more comfortable, with the same confidence in any corner.
High speeds, no problem.
The NCT5 had no problems except for the noise, and harsh ride. So, the Contis win by a huge margin here too.
A good spend.
Old 29th April 2013, 11:29   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Vanilla 1.6 Sxi.
These are conti eco sport 3s. They were quite easily available, OTS.
Regular 185/65.

High speeds, no problem.
So, the Contis win by a huge margin here too.
A good spend.
Great news. Any reason you did not have the XM2s in contention? And how is the grip during cornering and on wet surfaces?

Do the Conti's offer a 3-year warranty like Michelin? Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions.
Old 29th April 2013, 11:46   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Great news. Any reason you did not have the XM2s in contention? And how is the grip during cornering and on wet surfaces?

Do the Conti's offer a 3-year warranty like Michelin? Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions.
I did, but right at that point there was some mix up with xm2s replacing the 1,and other such stuff about stock, and I didn't have the patience to wait. Read up some reviews, and popped for this.
Yes, it's 3years,as far as I recall.
The grip is fantastic, wet or dry.
In fact the running in was done on the agra eway, and I just smiled throughout.
Old 29th April 2013, 12:05   #267
BHPian

Quote:

Dear vnabhi

You are right Fiesta S runs on 15" alloys with stock NCT 5 195-55-R15 tyres. I had switched my sxi's rims & tyres immediately on purchase to stock Fiesta S alloys and NCT5.

Why don't you have a look at Yoko S Drive, they've clocked around 27 K on my car and still going strong. The road grip is much better as compared to NCT 5.

Regarding the error on odo on switching to different tyre size... do go to ford workshop to have the engine reprogrammed for bigger tyre size and it would give you correct reading, that's what I did...

Best
gsachin21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 13:07   #268
Senior - BHPian

@mayankk---thanks very much for the feedback. I'm adding Conti's to my wish list.

@gsachin21--I do know that S drives offer the best grip, as bhpian Neilguy has got them for his Fiesta S. But I've read many reviews that they get noisy after 15 K and also have lots of issues with sidewall bulges.
Old 29th April 2013, 13:34   #269
BHPian

Quote:
@gsachin21--I do know that S drives offer the best grip, as bhpian Neilguy has got them for his Fiesta S. But I've read many reviews that they get noisy after 15 K and also have lots of issues with sidewall bulges.
Yes that's what I've heard and was apprehensive while buying them. The noise has just started after 27,000 kms on the odo with S Drive, that too is quite less as compared to what I've read in reviews and no sidewall bulges so far...
gsachin21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:10   #270
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I drive a fiesta 1.6S which comes shod with 195/55 R15 goodyear NCT 5 and I have a couple of questions on its rubber:

1. What is the life of the OEM tyres. Mine has run 25K. Is it the right time to change or can I run it for some more time.
2. I checked a few tyre shops and the only two descent options I have in the stock size is Bridgestone My02 and Yokohoma S drives. Are there any other options?
3. I personally think that 195/55 is adequate but don't mind up-sizing. Is 205/50 a right choice and if so what options do I have.
4. Lastly, how much can I expect for my current set if I trade it off for a new set.

-Nidhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks