Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2016, 16:32   #331
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
The Continentals are good and so are the others like Michelin and Yokohama.

Personally, I think the Pirellis are not as good as these in these common sizes like 14" and 15" and 16".
Nikhil - Yokohama's are bit noisy. Verified with few dealers here in Chennai and Coimbatore.
Old 27th March 2016, 20:19   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Nikhil - Yokohama's are bit noisy. Verified with few dealers here in Chennai and Coimbatore.
That's just stupid. That's the kind of generalisation that gives tyre dealers a bad name.

Most tyre dealers have commercial interests with certain brands and obviously you cannot trust them to give an unbiased opinion.

If someone just says "Yokohama tyres are a bit noisy", I will not at all believe them and run at full speed in the opposite direction.

If someone says that let them give specifics. Which car and which model of Yokohama tyre?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 21:33   #333
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's just stupid. That's the kind of generalisation that gives tyre dealers a bad name.

Most tyre dealers have commercial interests with certain brands and obviously you cannot trust them to give an unbiased opinion.

If someone just says "Yokohama tyres are a bit noisy", I will not at all believe them and run at full speed in the opposite direction.

If someone says that let them give specifics. Which car and which model of Yokohama tyre?
No, even bhpians have acknowledged that.. refer the below thread (#431 & #435). My answer is not a generalized one. I am searching for a noiseless tyre for my figo (185/65/r14) and I have not received any consistent opinion about Yoko so far..

If you are 100% sure that Yoko will not be noisy at 3 digit speeds (<=120kmph max) , I am ready to fit in my car tomorrow.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...thread-29.html
Old 27th March 2016, 21:39   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, even bhpians have acknowledged that.. refer the below thread (#431 & #435). My answer is not a generalized one. I am searching for a noiseless tyre for my figo (185/65/r14) and I have not received any consistent opinion about Yoko so far..

If you are 100% sure that Yoko will not be noisy at 3 digit speeds (<=120kmph max) , I am ready to fit in my car tomorrow.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...thread-29.html
It will depend on the tyre. You can't generalize like that. Yoko makes all out sports tyres like advan neova which are very very noisy. At the same time, they make comfort tyres like c-drive and earth-1 which are quiet and comfortable.

As for your question on what will be completely silent on a figo - the answer is none. The figo has a lot of wind noise issues which you will always hear over and above the tyre noise. As for the tyre pick up a comfort tyre from any of the better rated brands and you will be fine.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 22:55   #335
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
As for your question on what will be completely silent on a figo - the answer is none. The figo has a lot of wind noise issues which you will always hear over and above the tyre noise. As for the tyre pick up a comfort tyre from any of the better rated brands and you will be fine.
When I compared CC and Yoko (185/65/14), I heard that Yoko is bit noisy from few sources (infact, went and spoke to a dealer who sells both conti and yoko) including tbhp. I am OK with any brand, but it should be quiet(atleast by Figo standards).
Old 28th March 2016, 12:58   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I compared CC and Yoko (185/65/14), I heard that Yoko is bit noisy from few sources (infact, went and spoke to a dealer who sells both conti and yoko) including tbhp. I am OK with any brand, but it should be quiet(atleast by Figo standards).
Conti is relatively new in the market compared to Yokohama. It is more profitable to sell Conti than Yokohama.

I'm a tyre dealer and I know.

Honestly, a lay man will not find any difference between the Yokohama Earth 1 and the Conti CC5. I've heard great reviews about both. Until I personally do a quantifiable test between these two tyres I will not say one is more silent than the other.

I've claimed before the Michelin XM1+ was the most silent tyre and the Primacy LC was the most silent tyre. Today, the comparison is so difficult, I cant say with any authority which is the most silent. The gap has narrowed between the companies. Michelins have become a tiny bit noisier but much stronger and durable. Yokohama's Earth 1 has become more silent and so have the Continentals.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 13:31   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a good article on tyre noise:

http://www.tirereview.com/the-fight-against-tire-noise/

Slight OT but in sync with the discussion.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 14:25   #338
Senior - BHPian

I drive a Ford Figo petrol, 2010 model. It has done about 57300 km so far. In November last year, with the odometer reading 55000km, I changed my tyres to Continental ComfortContact5 185/65R14.
Until then, the car was running on Bridgestone Potenza G3 185/60R14. These tyres were fitted to my car in July 2011, when the odometer reading was 9000km.

My opinion about the Conti tyres so far:
Tyre noise is reduced a lot. And I mean, a whole lot. I am quite sure this stark difference is because the 45K km old Potenza G3s were making quite a racket at the end of their life, but even compared to the OE MRFs, it is a lot more silent. The typical "thud" sound you get when going over a sharp-ish ridge on the road is reduced. I get to hear suspension noise and wind noise a lot more now.
The change in aspect ratio (went up from 60 to 65) has resulted in more confidence on potholes and speed breakers. Bottom scraping has reduced to almost nil.
On the flip side, I don't get the same "feel" from the chassis. Some of the old confidence in the Figo's already wonderful handling is blunted with the Conti tyres. Given that these Conti tyres have more sidewall, the chassis simply does not feel as sharp. I still haven't tested cornering on the limit, but long sweeping curves on the highway are now taken just a little bit slower, as the tyres are making the car feel a bit "squishy".
Stability in a straight line at triple digit speeds is decent.
On hard braking, performance is no different to the Potenza G3.

So far, no punctures, and I don't lose more than 1-2psi in 6 weeks.

Overall, these tyres have lived up to their "comfort" name. Recommended for people who drive well within the limits of the car on highway or city roads.

If, on the other hand (like me), you like exploring the limits of handling of your car, don't bother with Conti CC5. These tyres have made me like my Figo just a little less.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 15:48   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

If, on the other hand (like me), you like exploring the limits of handling of your car, don't bother with Conti CC5. These tyres have made me like my Figo just a little less.
I was using Conti Eco Contact 3 in the same size as your Conti for around 40k kms till I shifted to MRF ZLo recently. The CEC3 from what I heard is the previous generation of CC5.

I think the major reason for the difference in feel and confidence is due to the increase in side wall.
Since I moved to 185/65 14 within 1k kms of my purchasing the car, I couldn't compare much with the stock MRF's, but I agree to the comfort factor and shock absorption of the Conti. Having sad that, i have pushed the car quite a bit with those tyres and it never felt nervous what ever the speeds or how the sharp the curves. I guess it is a matter of getting used to the new size.

Also to note the Conti's were phenomenal in the wet and the grip in the wet was amazing. But, the tyre noise increases as the tyre wears out. Not sure if it has improved with the CC5. With plenty of thread left, I changed mine because of the same reason and the other reason being.
Old 28th March 2016, 17:05   #340
Senior - BHPian

Considering the same tyre continental Comfort contact5 in three sizes.

175/70r14 84
185/65r14 86 (the real stock size for lancer) and
185/70r14 88

Which would suit the best for

1. Quietness considering the width and sidewall height.
2. Steering softness
3. maximum increase in ground clearance.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 28th March 2016 at 17:07.
Old 28th March 2016, 17:10   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming to the Yoko vs Contis.

I have Yoko A drives on my i10, and Earth1 on my Octavia. Have no issue with road noise.

I really liked the Earth1 tyres. Value for money.

On the other hand, i have Continental Cross Contact ATs on my Pajero and i don't think they have a substantial increase in road noise over the MRF HT OE tyres. (though not related to this thread in terms of comparison).

But yes, as someone said, the continental tyres give you a feel of floating (super ride comfort but a little scary - in the mind - in terms of corning. However, i did try to corner at similar speeds and didn't find an loss of grip or squeal)

I guess it's a matter of perception regarding the noise.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 28th March 2016 at 17:11.
Old 28th March 2016, 20:11   #342
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nikhil,

I am in the market for tyres for my 2009 Linea. actually 3 set of tyres.
I am targeting either Michelin Primacy 3ST (5750 - 6000 / tyre) or Continental MC5( 5000 - 5600 / tyre) in 195/60/15 size and 88V rating.
Heard a lot of positive remarks on both the model though i could save 3K if i go for Conti.

Right now i am using MRF ZLO which runs almost 45K.
After 25K, i heard a lot of road noise and vibration and i checked every aspects of shocks and there's no fault, finally ended up replacing all 4 tyres with Apollo from a TD car to test and Linea backed to silence mode. hence it's perceivable that MRF has some issue.

Please suggest me a brand & Tyre which needs to be a handler , silence and trustworthy for long runs.
Old 28th March 2016, 22:06   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
COntinental is coming into India hoping that people with Mercs and Audis buy COnti when it;s time to change the tyres. These cars and many European cars(VW included. Jetta and Passat) come with Conti tyres as the OEM tyres.
Nikhil..you said it man !!! I acquired recently a Mercedes Benz W124 and decided to try Continental as it is a German Engineered tyre and for a German Car, it looked apt. The pricing is also very reasonable and competitive.
I installed Continental CC5 205/65 R15 on OEM rims and believe me my W124 just glides with these tyres. There is no tyre noise and the driving comfort is amazing.
My W124 with Continental Tyres
Continental tyres-picture-009.jpg
Continental CC5 Tubeless tyre loaded on to my W124
Continental tyres-picture-026.jpg

Last edited by hillram : 28th March 2016 at 22:08.
hillram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 17:31   #344
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi Nikhil,

I am in the market for tyres for my 2009 Linea. actually 3 set of tyres.
I am targeting either Michelin Primacy 3ST (5750 - 6000 / tyre) or Continental MC5( 5000 - 5600 / tyre) in 195/60/15 size and 88V rating.
Heard a lot of positive remarks on both the model though i could save 3K if i go for Conti.

Please suggest me a brand & Tyre which needs to be a handler , silence and trustworthy for long runs.
Same dilemma, on a fiat sibling. My punto is due for tyre change and I'm confused between the 3ST and MC5. Two reputed tyre dealers are suggesting that both are good but go for Conti. Makes me wonder if selling Conti is more profitable for them.
tud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 21:02   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Look guys, for normal people like us it wont make a major difference. The other users and me have clearly outlined the features of the Conti MC5 and the P3ST in this thread and many others...

Just go through it and take a call. Dont worry so much over it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks