Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 09:44   #211
BHPian

Re: Wheel Alignment & Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Could it be due to worn tires?
NO. Out of Camber tires may induce wandering but will never change the steering wheel alignment. Your ASS has adjusted the Toe-in and forgot to check the steering wheel centricity resulting in this.
Old 30th January 2020, 08:34   #212
BHPian

Gurus need advise
My dzire WA & WB done around 6 months ago, driven around 4k km since then. My recently trip included real rough roads of 100 kms.
Please advise if WA and WB necessary now, though there is no change in drive currently.
Old 30th January 2020, 14:07   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munishsurendra View Post
Gurus need advise
My dzire WA & WB done around 6 months ago, driven around 4k km since then. My recently trip included real rough roads of 100 kms.
Please advise if WA and WB necessary now, though there is no change in drive currently.
Sometimes you may not notice an alignment issue until it's too late. Specially considering your driving over rough roads, I would recommend you get the alignment checked at your preferred workshop or alignment centre.
Old 16th September 2020, 23:21   #214
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I am facing this issue for past 6 months which had to be ignored due to Covid thing. My father changed the stock steel rims on our Dzire vxi with used Ritz alloys (tyres are Bridgestone turanza er60 185/70 R14). These alloys really look good on the car and we got a pretty decent deal on them too. But since then, whenever we are on the highway, the steering wheel starts vibrating post 90km/h and the vibrations keep on increasing from there onwards. I can confirm that wheels are perfectly suited for the car both mechanically and functionally.

I wanted to know what might be off? Whether it is alignment or wheel balancing?

The thing is, my father feels that wheel weights are some sort of scam, so it may be difficult to convince him to go for wheel balancing... can this be sorted by correcting alignment?
Old 16th September 2020, 23:31   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am facing this issue for past 6 months which had to be ignored due to Covid thing. My father changed the stock steel rims on our Dzire vxi with used Ritz alloys (tyres are Bridgestone turanza er60 185/70 R14). These alloys really look good on the car and we got a pretty decent deal on them too. But since then, whenever we are on the highway, the steering wheel starts vibrating post 90km/h and the vibrations keep on increasing from there onwards. I can confirm that wheels are perfectly suited for the car both mechanically and functionally.

I wanted to know what might be off? Whether it is alignment or wheel balancing?

The thing is, my father feels that wheel weights are some sort of scam, so it may be difficult to convince him to go for wheel balancing... can this be sorted by correcting alignment?
Incorrect balancing - nothing more nothing less.
Even small shops have digital display balancing machine, you can check the values there yourself, don't think their machines lie
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 23:39   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Incorrect balancing - nothing more nothing less.
Even small shops have digital display balancing machine, you can check the values there yourself, don't think their machines lie
Thanks for your quick reply, I guess I'll have to convince him now, otherwise the wheels will eat up the tyres.
Old 20th November 2020, 12:38   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Sometimes you may not notice an alignment issue until it's too late. Specially considering your driving over rough roads, I would recommend you get the alignment checked at your preferred workshop or alignment centre.
Hi Nikhil,

Useful posts, quick follow up questions though,

This is my first car with inbuilt TPMS and my SA was giving me (what I think is gyaan) on how WA / WB should not be done outside as they are sensitive (the TMPS sensors) and it can be damaged easily etc etc.

Is this true?
Old 13th December 2020, 11:16   #218
BHPian

Hi,
Maybe this question is asked before, but iam not able to find it. So Iam asking here.

Whenever we take the car to swap the stock tyres to a same sized better ones for comfort/refinement, is it is necessary to do both WB and WA if the vehicle is new and has run less than a 100 kms since delivery?

Thanks,
Thiru.
Old 13th December 2020, 11:33   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
Hi,
Maybe this question is asked before, but iam not able to find it. So Iam asking here.

Whenever we take the car to swap the stock tyres to a same sized better ones for comfort/refinement, is it is necessary to do both WB and WA if the vehicle is new and has run less than a 100 kms since delivery?

Thanks,
Thiru.
Absolutely not required if the vehicle is new
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 00:31   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wheel Balancing is to be done every time you dismount and mount a tyre. Since you are mounting on a new tyre, get WB done.

No need for Wheel Alignment.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 01:16   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Thiru.
Wheel alignment is not required but if the tires are swapped, a dynamic wheel balance is definitely required on all the rims that have new tires.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:39   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Thiru.
Whenever the tyres are removed from one or more wheels and refitted/replaced, the wheel should be balanced. Immediate alignment is not required, it can be done as per service schedule. This applies to all cars, not necessarily new.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 20:20   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hi Nikhil,

Useful posts, quick follow up questions though,

This is my first car with inbuilt TPMS and my SA was giving me (what I think is gyaan) on how WA / WB should not be done outside as they are sensitive (the TMPS sensors) and it can be damaged easily etc etc.

Is this true?
Partly true. Some tyre shops dont know how to handle TPMS sensors which are inside the tyre. But most decent tyre shops today know how to handle them. The SA is just scaring you to retain your business. No harm in sticking to the authorised service centre if they are doing a good job, but dont stay with them out of fear.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Thiru.
WA is not necessary but balancing is surely needed. As many others have mentioned in this thread, the moment you remove a tyre and fit a new one, wheel balancing is required.

It's also a good idea to check the wheel alignment. Off late, I have noticed a lot of brand new vehicles being mis-aligned.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 23:27   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
WA is not necessary but balancing is surely needed. As many others have mentioned in this thread, the moment you remove a tyre and fit a new one, wheel balancing is required.

It's also a good idea to check the wheel alignment. Off late, I have noticed a lot of brand new vehicles being mis-aligned.
Thanks all for your suggestions, I did go ahead and do the WB during the install. One thing i noticed was, there were already quite a few weights attached some almost close to 100g on factory fitted alloys. Is this normal to have factory fitted OEM alloys having weights on a brand new car??
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:53   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Is this normal to have factory fitted OEM alloys having weights on a brand new car??
I have seen weight stickers attached to factory alloys as well and believe its normal.
We all would like to know whether the balancing was out or not after mounting new tires. If the reading did show out of tolerance, by how much gms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks