Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 22:57   #466
Senior - BHPian

kosh4u

1. Tubeless tires are always a safer option in comparison to tube type tires even on steel rims.

2. Since u have mentioned about a damaged rim in the past, so pls get them checked before mounting tubeless tires on them. Replacing that rim with a new one would be even better.

3. On stock steel rims its better to stick with 165/65-13... 175/60-13 is too wide for the 4j rims.

4. Best tire options in 165/65-13
a)Bridgestone Turanza ER60
b)Yokohama A drive
c)Apollo Acelere
d)Michelin XM1

5) IMO u should not put your $$$ for alloys now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Hi,
Well you get 175/60 in Yokohama A539 and Bridgestone Potenza GIII. I got HR alloys today and will be getting Yokohama A539's tomorrow. Will put up the pics soon.

Regards
tSk
Good luck. Drive safe.

Last edited by kpzen : 9th June 2009 at 22:59.
Old 10th June 2009, 00:14   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Good luck. Drive safe.
Thanks a ton for your kind support. I'll be putting up the pics soon. In the meanwhile, I'm updating the Trip to Sai Mag Wheels thread.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:54   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
kosh4u
4. Best tire options in 165/65-13
a)Bridgestone Turanza ER60
b)Yokohama A drive
c)Apollo Acelere
d)Michelin XM1

5) IMO u should not put your $$$ for alloys now.
Thanks a ton Prajesh...how would you rate Yoko A & Mich XM1? I am looking for a balanced type, i.e. with good grip (in wet & dry surface) but with decent tyre life (say 50K kms) that can take the damn Tumkur highway
I am planning to replace all 5 rims with new OE ones, so no tension of bend or rust playing spoilsport.
OT - some time back I came across your Xing customising & found it to be excellent...especially the paint work...way to go sir

Quote:
Hi,
Well you get 175/60 in Yokohama A539 and Bridgestone Potenza GIII.
Regards
tSk
Thanks man...I've decided to go for 165/65 for the time being...
Old 10th June 2009, 12:41   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

165/65 R13 is a good upsize. I would recommend Yoko A drives. As of now, there have not been too many complaints regarding them. Actually Zero from our side. So, I would say it is quite durable.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:24   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
Thanks man...I've decided to go for 165/65 for the time being...
Good, nice to hear that a decision has been reached. It took me ample time to zero down on which size I should go for. All the best.

Regards
tSk
Old 10th June 2009, 13:38   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Good, nice to hear that a decision has been reached. It took me ample time to zero down on which size I should go for. All the best.

Regards
tSk
More I thought, the more confused I became...

So, no more thinking... it calls for action now.. thanks to the wonderful inputs
Alloys can wait...let my annual appraisal get completed

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th June 2009 at 14:00. Reason: please read the note in post, thanks
Old 10th June 2009, 23:37   #472
Senior - BHPian

Guys, here are the pics of HRS 13" alloys and Yokohama A539's 175/60 R13 on Real Earth Santro Xing.
Please click on the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1341694
Old 11th June 2009, 11:29   #473
BHPian

Hey tsk

Nice choice of rims and tyres. I am sure you ll be happy with the performance of the Yoko's. Been using them for more than an yr now.

Enjoy your ride.

Adi
Old 11th June 2009, 19:41   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Hey tsk

Nice choice of rims and tyres. I am sure you ll be happy with the performance of the Yoko's. Been using them for more than an yr now.

Enjoy your ride.

Adi
Thanks Aditya. The drive has improved a lot, particularly with reference to bumps. And acceleration seems to be improved too.
Old 21st June 2009, 01:20   #475
BHPian

New footwear

Finally new footwear for my Xing.
Today I got her 5 Mich XM1s (2650/- each) from Tyre Empire, Whitefield, B'lore.Pretty fresh stock, 4908.
Hope the pricing is decent in B'lore?

Had them check my OE steel rims, all 5 were in good condition - even the one which was hammered earlier & kept as spare. So that saved me a good 5K .
I somehow felt the treads on XM1 to be better than the Yoko A.
(would have loved to go for the 539s. Aah! only if I could go for Alloys )

Got N filling, balancing & alignment done.
Except for one, the OE GY treads were pretty much gone & it used to be difficult even during light drizzle and when the road surface was irregular, with lot of noise.

Within the short time I could drive around today, I've found the grip, stability etc has improved & so has the ride, with low rolling noise.
(I rarely get back seat passengers, with even my 3 yr old son preferring front seat - anyways no guesses for back seat ride quality which anyway would be bumpy in a Santro!)

Alloys, they can wait. By the way I loved the finish & lightness of Acelere Wheelz, not the designs though. Hope they are indeed of good quality

Thanks to all TBHPians for the help & guidance - especially tsk13, Nikhilb2008, kpzen, naidusown & aditya.86. Great to have guys like you who are a great source of info & tips. Keep it up
Old 21st June 2009, 14:29   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
Finally new footwear for my Xing.

I somehow felt the treads on XM1 to be better than the Yoko A.
(would have loved to go for the 539s. Aah! only if I could go for Alloys )

Alloys, they can wait. By the way I loved the finish & lightness of Acelere Wheelz, not the designs though. Hope they are indeed of good quality

Thanks to all TBHPians for the help & guidance - especially tsk13, Nikhilb2008, kpzen, naidusown & aditya.86. Great to have guys like you who are a great source of info & tips. Keep it up
First of all Congrats for the new footwear.

Michelins XM1's have been well recognized by BHPians. Good choice on your part too. One thing, that XM1 does not has Silica compound in it, whereas Yokohama A drive does. This was told to me by a tyre dealer. I really don't know how much of a difference Silica makes but as Team BHPians have appreciated Michelins, I don't think they are short of Yoko A's.

Acelere wheels have good finishes, but they lack on variety. When you wish to change the wheels, do look for HR (HRS). The website of official importer is www.saimagwheels.com . Their collection is amazing.

Thanks for referring my name. But, I'm a newbie in real life. And others whose names have been mentioned are like my teachers, who pass on the Gyan to me. My thanks to you and to all for their kind support.

I'm attaching a pic of Sai Mag Wheels collection in 13" which I clicked about 2 weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-hpim3094.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-hpim3095.jpg  

Old 21st June 2009, 15:14   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13
One thing, that XM1 does not has Silica compound in it, whereas Yokohama A drive does.
Please let us know the dealer who told you this.
Old 21st June 2009, 15:59   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Please let us know the dealer who told you this.
It was during the hunt for the tyres for Santro I came across a dealer mentioning this. Don't remember the dealer as he was among the few shops I checked out for fun.

But, please put light on this issue and the advantages of Silica. I'm not aware of this concept.
Old 22nd June 2009, 08:25   #479
Team-BHP Support

If I could buy AT tyres for Santro, I would.

OK, I live in crappy road central. It is June and already the roads are systematically getting destroyed after couple of weeks of rain. While th GV (surprisingly on HT tyres) and CJ340 can handle any roads with ease, the Santro has been suffering. In three years of local broken tarmac, the Hankook Optimo tyres have become almost bald. I need to change the tyres now.

I want tough as nail tyres that can withstand bad roads without compromising the ride quality too much. The current size I have is 165/65R13, I started this thread with the previous upgrade.
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:37   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want tough as nail tyres that can withstand bad roads without compromising the ride quality too much.
Tough to meet both requirements in a single tyre. If you need tyres to withstand bad roads, then opt for tyres from Indian manufacturer (MRF, JK or Apollo). These may not offer comfortable ride but being harder rubber can withstand bad roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks