Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 15:56   #406
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by execve View Post
I checked with a tyre shop and got the following for 205/55/15 tyres:
~10.5K buyback for the goodyears
Conti CPC2 ~6800 ==> will cost me around 16K after buyback.
Hi execve,

While doing PDI of your car did you notice if all new cars in the stock yard had good year?

Regards.
Old 21st September 2015, 16:06   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
While doing PDI of your car did you notice if all new cars in the stock yard had good year?
Regards.
Yes, all were Goodyear - fairly recent - 3 of week33 and 1 of week32. I have been thinking further on this, and it now comes down to the cost of risking the suspension warranty - and going by the quote that I have - it is around 10K.

So at this point, I am thinking to continue with the stock goodyear and if I see a big problem of using them after a year or even earlier, I will upgrade to better shoes.
execve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 07:38   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Are valves to be bought separately or do they come with the tyres only? and is there any quality difference?
Hi All,

I have similar question about exchanging tubeless tyre from a new car for better brand. Do we need to get the valves that come with car changed and is that included in the cost of tyres.

I checked with a tyre shop and he was quoting INR 250 - 400 for each valve. I understand this is required when moving from tube to tubeless but looks like an unnecessary expenditure while exchanging Tyre from a new car.

Regards.
Old 24th September 2015, 22:18   #409
BHPian

Quote:

I checked with a tyre shop and he was quoting INR 250 - 400 for each valve. I understand this is required when moving from tube to tubeless but looks like an unnecessary expenditure while exchanging Tyre from a new car.

Regards.
Hi

I got the valves complimentary with thy Michelin tyres. You should also press for them. 250-400 for each valve is definitely on the higher side in any case.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 01:28   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

I would not recommend the 205/55-15 unless you are a rally driver. For a stock Vento/Polo 195/60-15 is perfect. Enough grip and good ride comfort and less chance of sidewall damage.
Hi Nikhil
You seem to be the most well-informed BHPian when it comes to tyres.
I had a few queries i wanted to ask if its not too much trouble.

I've got the new facelift Vento TDI + DSG CL

The OE tyres are MRF zvtv 185/60/R15

Reading the thread made me doubt the quality of the OE tyres VW has started to give to cut costs.

I am confused between Yoko S drive 205/55/R15 and Michelin 195/60/R15 and the CPC2 185/60/R15

My main concern is comfort and reduced cabin noise.
I am mostly a city driver, just the occasional highway guy but i don't cross 120km/hr.

I wanted to know whether i should change the tyres.
And if i do, which one should i go for.

And lastly, will the upgraded tyres touch the inner bodyframe when i take a full lock turn ?

Thanking you
Regards
saravcshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 22:03   #411
Senior - BHPian

My final choices are as below-

Michelin XM2--185/60/15

Continental CPC2--205/55/15

Pirelli P1--205/55/15

I'm not sure about the pirellis since the dealer is recommending these and yet to get back on the price. I'm inclined towards CPC2 since the feedback on our community is very favourable. Michelins seem to be a very safe bet, but just doesn't seem exciting enough as an upgrade. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks!
Old 5th October 2015, 12:30   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
My final choices are as below-

Michelin XM2--185/60/15

Continental CPC2--205/55/15

Pirelli P1--205/55/15
You can even add following to your consideration set

Continental MC5 205 55 R15

Yokohama S Drives 205 55 R15
Old 8th October 2015, 19:33   #413
BHPian

So my 5 year old Vento is due for a tyre change before we do a long trip to Amritsar from Ahmedabad in it. It is on stock Apollo 185's and they seemed to have really hardened up.

I don't drive above 120 nor do I test the cornering ability of the car or anything, so a pretty same driver. The 3 points that I am looking at are Softer ride, low noise and better steering feedback.

I had a look through the forum and shortlisted the following:

Michelin LC
Primacy 3ST
YokoDB
Continental CPC2

Also, would a 195 give better comfort than a 205? Would there be any reason to go for a 205 rather than the 195's?
Old 11th October 2015, 07:22   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
So my 5 year old Vento is due for a tyre change before we do a long trip to Amritsar from Ahmedabad in it. It is on stock Apollo 185's and they seemed to have really hardened up.

I don't drive above 120 nor do I test the cornering ability of the car or anything, so a pretty same driver. The 3 points that I am looking at are Softer ride, low noise and better steering feedback.

I had a look through the forum and shortlisted the following:

Michelin LC

Primacy 3ST

YokoDB

Continental CPC2

Also, would a 195 give better comfort than a 205? Would there be any reason to go for a 205 rather than the 195's?

I have been having the same dilemma mate! Having read thru many posts in regard to this, I think 205 is a better bet than 195, although a lot of members have actually upgraded to 195 as well. I just found the deviation to be quite high with the 195s. Also a lot of people have opted for 195 since the respective tyre was not available in 205( Michelin primacy )

I'm most likely going with 205s may be CPC2 since it has a lot of positive reviews, but also considering pirellis and Yokohama S drives.
Old 12th October 2015, 08:01   #415
BHPian

^^^ the 195s are good enough and a lot of bhpians have said they have benefitted from the additional ground clearance. Also they provide a taller sidewall which should increase the comfort level. The disadvantage is the deviation in the tyre profile. I use the 205 CPC2s and love the additional grip and secure feeling at high speeds. Also I had 8+ punctures with the OEM Apollos in 40k kms but not a single one with the Continentals for the last 20k kms. So +1 for the CPCs.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 14:07   #416
Senior - BHPian

Finally switched to Continental CPC2 205/55/15. Also changed to MOMO revenge anthracite alloys. I'm a little confused though, I feel the tyres are having a slight vibration. Did a 200km drive this morning and felt some minor vibrations. I'm not sure if this is the character of the tyres or just due to the meter nature of the tyres.

Also what is the pressure recommended? The tyre shop guys filled up nitrogen 33 psi. Is this correct? Any feedback from conti cpc2 users would be helpful.
Old 18th October 2015, 23:47   #417
BHPian

Hi,

I finally replaced existing tyres with Yokohama S Drive 205/55/R15. I has shortlisted Michelin P 3ST and Yoko S Drive but decided to use Yoko due to less difference from the OEM size.

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yokosdrive.jpg

Regards.
Old 20th October 2015, 21:40   #418

Re: Tyre Upsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyaneesh View Post
Mods, posting this thread as am desperate for an immediate advise. Please take appropriate action.

Our vento suffered a tyre burst today on my way back home from my native. The front left tyre hit a pothole when my visibility got impaired with the huge swirls of dust caused by a lorry from the construction site. Fortunately, i was doing 20-30 kmph and managed to pull the car safely to the side of the road. The sidewall of the tyre had a hole and it deflated rapidly. According to the tyre shop guy nearby, it is not worth anymore even with a tube inside. The car has 30k on the ODO and the tread depth left on the other tires is good enough to make it for another 15-20k kms as its mostly used for highway runs.

I thought of few options like changing front two tires or the left tyre with a new one, a used tyre etc., but pretty confused to conclude on anything.

Now my question is to BHPians based at Hyderabad or elsewhere who has changed their stock tires at the time of delivery. Please pitch in.

Can you please suggest me any place where i can get the stock tires that were exchanged? Mine are apollo alnacs. I thought of getting all 4 tyres replaced with the stock ones if a good bargain is viable.

Please share your thoughts.
Hello folks,

Just quoting my old post to throw some more light on my requirement.

After the above incident, i got the damaged tyre repaired and fitted it in the back with a tube. Currently, the ODO is at 40k KMs and car is an year old. A couple of days ago, the same tyre suffered a puncture again on our way back from Goa and it was driven for a few meters before stopping it at a safe place. Changed the spare tyre and reached home. I am not sure about the punctured Tyre status as i am yet to open it. Anyways, i am thinking of changing all the tires though they have a healthy and considerable amount of tread left and am in a dilemma about the upgrade/upsize.

Pardon my ignorance, i do not possess any technical knowledge related to tires. I just wanted the durable and reliable ones which will have a healthy and long life. The car will be mostly used for highway runs.

1. The car is still under warranty. Does upsizing the Tyre will void it? The only reason i am planning for upgrade is to have an increase in the GC. If that is costing me the leftover warranty, i'd rather stick to the stock size. The car already suffered a faulty EGR valve issue(covered in warranty) when it was of nine months of age and i am not sure of any more which are yet to come. So, i do not want to risk warranty for anything.

2. I also own a figo which is of 3 years age and around 1.15 lakh kms under his belly. I have changed the tires twice with the bridgestone turanzas. The first one at 44k KMs(Turanza ER60 /stock size) and another at 1.08 lakh KMs(Turanza AR 20/Upsize by 10). I am pretty much satisfied with the bridgestones for their durability and performance.

So, can someone suggest me some good options with bridgestones(preferably) for vento?
Old 21st October 2015, 09:28   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I finally replaced existing tyres with Yokohama S Drive 205/55/R15. I has shortlisted Michelin P 3ST and Yoko S Drive but decided to use Yoko due to less difference from the OEM

Regards.

Hey, congrats! I switched to the same
Size, but in continental CPC2. What is the pressure you are asked to maintain? I was told 33 by a dealer and 30 by another.
Old 21st October 2015, 13:22   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
What is the pressure you are asked to maintain? I was told 33 by a dealer and 30 by another.
Hi motorworks,

Tyre dealer had filled 33 when he installed new tyres but I feel 34/35 would be fine. If I drive at a slightly high speed over a pothole/speed breaker with low pressure then there are chances of sidewall getting damaged. I understand over a period of time high pressure in tyres takes a toll on shock absorber.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks