Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 09:57   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
I was thinking of BS Turanza ER 300 for few reasons, including the newly applied LL Carbon and O Bead II .
Also, the patterns look different and I personally like it.

I'm currently using XM2 and its going fine for the last 42K+ kms. However, I do the side walls getting chipped off and there are cracks on the tyres. Also, I see that the wheel spins often, when you accelerate a bit hard.Hence, I would want to change it now and thought of going with BS Turanza if thats a better option compared to XM2
I haven't used XM2 till date. Can you explain on what conditions you usually encounter wheel spins?

I've never had issues with any tyres in terms of grip other than the Goodyear tyres available from the factory. There used to be a momentary loss of grip on exiting corners at full throttle with speeds at 120+( a big plus). Even the Apollo's were way better.

One thing about the ER300 is that it gives some life to that dead steering and the steering becomes heavier. The downside? Higher cruising speeds is a norm due to increase in confidence levels.

The tyres have just about worn in and I'll be going on a trip in 2 weeks. I'll give a proper verdict then. Last time I went on a trip, the rear tyres hadn't worn in and the car felt like it was over steering while cornering at very high speed.

Never had a problem with sidewalls. Did go through some tough terrain. The roads in my area are completely dug up. No scratches are observed.

Wet grip is confidence inspiring in the city. Haven't tried it on the highway while raining.

Hope this helps.

Drive safe and happy shopping
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 10:33   #557
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Turbohead;4249517]
Haven't tried it on the highway while raining.
[\QUOTE]

Got a chance to drive it on a wet highway.

Confidence levels are definitely on the higher side. Never felt like slowing down at all! My dad was asking me to slow down as I was driving faster than usual on wet! Did take a slightly sharp left hander at 120 kmph. No issues with grip at all other than taking sharp turns on certain glossy sections- felt a wee bit skittish! I usually wouldn't dare to try such things on the previous Goodyear/Apollo.

Definitely satisfied! A great option for stock size! Fulfils all my needs as a regular road user, may not work as desired on the track though- I guess track users know where they need to look at!
Old 29th November 2017, 13:02   #558
BHPian

I am planning to replace my 25k kms stock Apollo Acceleres with Bridgestone Turanza ER300 in same size. What is the approximate buyback price for existing ones?

Last edited by pnredkar : 29th November 2017 at 13:04. Reason: Additional details
Old 29th November 2017, 14:55   #559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
I am planning to replace my 25k kms stock Apollo Acceleres with Bridgestone Turanza ER300 in same size. What is the approximate buyback price for existing ones?
200 bucks per tire if the dealer is generous enough.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 15:12   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
200 bucks per tire if the dealer is generous enough.
Really? That bad, huh!

Then the buy back price will not be a factor in deciding the dealer. I will probably visit the closest Bridgestone Select shop and get it exchanged.
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:38   #561
BHPian

Finally got my Vento stock Apollo Acceleres replaced with Bridgestone Turanza ER300 yesterday. My main reason for change was one damaged tyre. Rode about 20kms on Bangalore roads today. Tyre noise seems to have reduced and cushioning is slightly better. Hopefully the puncture incidences would reduce. Got to say that the stock tyres were also decent.
Old 11th December 2017, 23:27   #562
BHPian

Hi All,
My car is 2010 Dec make 1.6 TDI Vento and have done 82K till now. Since the start i have been driving Yoko S-Drive 205/55/15 with older stiff stock suspension. So its also OK to say that i do not know how this car will behave with any other tyre size or brand and any other suspension setup.

I am about to exhaust my second set of tyres. Actually there is still 5-6K life left but one of the Tyre is damaged so will be changing whole set soon enough. At the same time suspension might also be reaching its age and will most likely change that too as well. Now the reason i am bit more confused is because if i choose wrong setup than i might end up with totally different car dynamics which i like or not like

Priority
Earlier my priorities were handling, cornering performance and i must say 205/55/15 S-drive has done excellent job. I did had 2 tyres sidewall damage but both are my fault of hitting pothole with good enough speed.
However now i am not that oriented towards cornering performance and became father. Folks in family also complained about not so comfortable ride quality they have in Vento and they prefer Ciaz, I20 comfort while travelling.
So this time i want to tilt little towards comfort and not loose too much on Handling as well. I know its a trade off and i want some of both this time.

Tyre
Given that i want to go towards comfort side I am wondering if i should stick with 205 size or downgrade? I am somehow more inclined towards 195 this time.
1. Continue with Yoko S-Drive 205 profile
2. Michelin P3ST 195
3. Michelin XM2 195

Suspension
Either i will upgrade to TRW or B6. People have said that current OEM suspension are on softer side but that might just kill handling of Vento.

Please give me suggestion based on combination of tyre and suspension keeping priority in mind (Middle ground between comfort and handling+performance)
Old 12th December 2017, 00:11   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
Hi All,

Tyre
Given that i want to go towards comfort side I am wondering if i should stick with 205 size or downgrade? I am somehow more inclined towards 195 this time.
1. Continue with Yoko S-Drive 205 profile
2. Michelin P3ST 195
3. Michelin XM2 195

Suspension
The Michelin Primacy 3ST. I used those on my TSI for 3 years and I was super happy. These are just what you need for a comfortable ride. Very quiet and offer super grip in wet and dry conditions.
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 07:42   #564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please give me suggestion based on combination of tyre and suspension keeping priority in mind (Middle ground between comfort and handling+performance)
If you are looking for a balance between comfort and handling, the best option would be Michelin P3ST. I have used them in my Jetta and they provide a fantastic balance between ride and comfort.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 14:09   #565
BHPian

Can some one confirm what tire size do the new Ventos are coming with ?

Had been to B.U. Bhandari workshop to drop my car off for servicing today, and they were offering me GoodYear 185/60/R15 as a replacement for my 45k run tires, saying this size is what VW has recommended & certified for all Ventos and Polos ( btw, the SA was literally pushing for it )

I think the 2015 Vento came with 195 section tires. Since I had changed the tires from MRFs to a little wider (205/55/R15) Yokohama on the day of delivery (2.5yrs back), I don't remember exactly.

Last edited by hkanitkar : 27th December 2017 at 14:10.
Old 27th December 2017, 14:26   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
Can some one confirm what tire size do the new Ventos are coming with ?
I got this from the car's online brochure. It is 185/60 15 for the HL.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-ventotyres.jpg  

Old 28th December 2017, 18:28   #567
BHPian

Spent some more time thinking on this and now I am sure that I will not be going for 205 tyres. I have done around 83k driving on s-drive in 205/55/R15 so this time I do want some change. S-drive had served me well and had amazing cornering ability, grip, stability.

But recently we are expecting kid so I am no longer going to drive which need S-drive and going for comfort. Will also be driving relatively slow

So after going through polo, vento, rapid thread I think popolular size and rubber are
195/60/15 p3st
195/60/15 xm2
185/60/15 xm2
185/60/15 turenza 300

On 195/60 I think some folks had concern of high side wall leading to some flex or blob like ride so should I just go for 185 with good rubber to achieve comfort oriented ride?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by karansm4u : 28th December 2017 at 18:29.
Old 30th December 2017, 10:55   #568
BHPian

Also heard good things about yoko earth 1 for them being all rounder having good side wall.

So adding it to my earlier list of 4 selections.

185/60/15 yoko earth 1
195/60/15 yoko earth 1

In my earlier 83k drive I have used 11 sdrive tyres instead of 8 due to sidewall issue. 2 were my fault and 1 tyre got sidewall cut due to pothhol.
So my another worry with michellene is these potholes which I have in area. That is why on Earth 1 is also in shortlist for being average in comfort and handling and giving piece of mind on bad roads.

Thanks

Last edited by karansm4u : 30th December 2017 at 11:03.
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:42   #569
BHPian

Quote:
So after going through polo, vento, rapid thread I think popolular size and rubber are
195/60/15 p3st
195/60/15 xm2
185/60/15 xm2
185/60/15 turenza 300

On 195/60 I think some folks had concern of high side wall leading to some flex or blob like ride so should I just go for 185 with good rubber to achieve comfort oriented ride? Thanks in advance
I currently use Michelin 195/60 R15 P3 ST and am quite satisfied with it. To me the higher sidewall means more comfort because there is more material to adsorb shock. To those who like to corner hard it may be a negative attribute due to more flex.
Old 29th January 2018, 20:21   #570
BHPian

After considerable deliberation, I finally replaced the tyres of my 2012 Vento TDI with Continental MC5 205/55 R15 (for the first time moved away from Michelin brand due to lack of options in 205/55 size). Previous tyres were Michelin PLC 195/60 R15. PLCs had run about 70K Kms and still had some life in them, but off late they were prone to frequent punctures and had hardened a bit.

Experience with PLC 195/60 -

1. Unlike general perception, Michelin PLCs proved to be highly durable. During its lifetime, I put the tyres through really rough state highways, non-existent surfaces, gravel filled under-construction highways along with typical potholed roads inside Bangalore city. Michelins held up really well and lasted for 70K Kms without a fuss.

2. I have always been a bit uncomfortable with 195/60 size, due to the wobble and body roll during highway drives. On city roads, my personal experience is that this size tends to be a bit bumpy (I have tried various tyre pressures and never got rid of somewhat harsh slow-speed ride) while the ride is pretty good at highway speeds, though the body roll is not confidence inspiring.

3. Braking feel (if not the performance) also seemed a bit compromised. Not sure if the 195/60 size or PLC was the cause.

Initial impression with MC5 205/55 -

1. Excellent grip and the car feels really planted
2. Significantly improved slow-speed ride compared to 195/60
3. Better steering feel

After having lived with 195/60 size for 70K Kms, I am inclined to say that this may not be the best option after all as compared to 205/55. Earlier, only Yoko S-drives were available in 205/55 (and hence went with 195/60 since ride and noise were of higher priority than performance). But with MC5 available in 205/55, it seems to be a good choice for folks looking for comfort tyres in 205/55 size.

Last edited by pc73 : 29th January 2018 at 20:24.
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks