Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2019, 15:06   #586
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakubKC View Post
Would love to get suggestions to help with my next upgrade. I own a Comfortline 1.5TDI DSG and am currently running on 195/60 XM2s. I've felt body roll throughout its life and that planted feel has never been there (like I had in my 2011 1.6TDI).
If you love to have a proper planted feel, get the Yoko S drives. It's a great option if you can compromise a bit on ride comfort and noise. If you wish to have a balance of everything (comfort, noise and grip), get the Michelin Primacy 4 ST. It's comfort oriented (not too comfy like XM2s) with good (not excellent like S drives) grip and handling.

After using XM2s, you would most likely feel a day-night difference in the car's handling if you choose S drives. So if your running is mostly on highways with good tarmac, I'd recommend the S drives. Otherwise, get the Primacy 4. Yoko BluEarth would be a vfm alternative to Primacy and it seems to be having good reviews.
BigBrad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 17:23   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
If you love to have a proper planted feel, get the Yoko S drives. It's a great option if you can compromise a bit on ride comfort and noise. If you wish to have a balance of everything (comfort, noise and grip), get the Michelin Primacy 4 ST. It's comfort oriented (not too comfy like XM2s) with good (not excellent like S drives) grip and handling.

After using XM2s, you would most likely feel a day-night difference in the car's handling if you choose S drives. So if your running is mostly on highways with good tarmac, I'd recommend the S drives. Otherwise, get the Primacy 4. Yoko BluEarth would be a vfm alternative to Primacy and it seems to be having good reviews.
Thanks for the detailed response-definitely useful and will keep this in mind.

Can 205's be fitted on the stock steel rims is another concern. Any inputs on this would be appreciated. Majority of us seem to own Highlines and hence this question does not appear to have come up till now.
Old 11th May 2019, 15:19   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I wanted to get a set of the same ER 300 again but found they are out of stock.
I had a choice of Michelin XM2, Conti CC5 and Yokohama Earth1 .
After much deliberation, chose to go with the Conti CC5.
Have barely had a run of 5km back home.
I have a long drive coming up this weekend. I hope to get a good idea of how good they are.
Hey sunsetorange!

I went with the ER 300 after reading your observations here! I want to know how the Continental CC5 is holding up. Is it better?
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 15:49   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hey sunsetorange!

I went with the ER 300 after reading your observations here! I want to know how the Continental CC5 is holding up. Is it better?
Congratulations on the ER 300! I hope it gives you as much riding pleasure as I had , if not more.

CC5 is as good with respect to ride quality, handling and road grip. The one thing I miss is the tread pattern of the ER300 which I had grown to like !
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 20:09   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Why upgrade? The Stock Alnacs are good enough.

Dont waste good money changing from Apollo. It's just a mindset that people have that all OEM tyres or all Indian tyres are bad. That is not the case.

The Vento/Rapid/Polo is my least favourite car but I will admit that the tyres are pretty much the best OEM tyres you can get south of 20 lakhs.
Is it true that the Apollo Alnac 4G is available in the 185/60 R15 size. Or is it a genuine mistake in the Apollo website?

The other considerations in the 185/60 range are
1)Conti CC5
2)Yokohama Earth 1
3)Continue with the existing BS Turanza ER300

Or should I just go with the MRF Perfinzas 195/60? P4ST seems to be overpriced in comparison.

Requirements:
1) Steering weight
2) Wet grip
3) Low noise
Old 17th June 2019, 13:10   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The other considerations in the 185/60 range are
1)Conti CC5
2)Yokohama Earth 1
3)Continue with the existing BS Turanza ER300
Are you sure? The Conti and Yoko you have mentioned come in 195/60R15 for sure. I was choosing between them and settled on the Earth1 since they have served me well before.
Quote:
Or should I just go with the MRF Perfinzas 195/60? P4ST seems to be overpriced in comparison.

Requirements:
1) Steering weight
2) Wet grip
3) Low noise
For your requirement, maybe the Perfinza would work.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 13:29   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Are you sure? The Conti and Yoko you have mentioned come in 195/60R15 for sure. I was choosing between them and settled on the Earth1 since they have served me well before.
Actually Conti CC5 is equivalent to the Michelin XM2. I guess you got confused with the Conti MC5 which is a Michelin P4ST competitor. Yoko Earth 1 and now BlueEarth AE50 are both available in the 185/60 size now.

Honestly, may end up with either P4ST or the Perfinza. Sticking to 185/60 feels a bit pointless.
Old 17th June 2019, 13:59   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Conti MC5 which is a Michelin P4ST competitor. ...
Honestly, may end up with either P4ST or the Perfinza. Sticking to 185/60 feels a bit pointless.
The MC5 is a good choice too IMO; been using it for nearly ~15,000 kms, when I had to replace my CPC2 and found none in the market. So far it has done a decent job; i.e. no complaints at all.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 10:24   #594
BHPian

My 41k run 2011 Vento highline currently runs on the stock UM 185/60/15. Both front tyres have developed small bulges on the sidewalls. Looking to change the tyres asap.
I've never shopped for tyres and feel a dealer could easily manipulate me so I need inputs of fellow Bhpians. I drive 80% within Mumbai city and have comfort as the top priority. Which options should I go for?
And also good dealers near Bandra where can I go to
Old 13th August 2019, 12:10   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
My 41k run 2011 Vento highline currently runs on the stock UM 185/60/15. Both front tyres have developed small bulges on the sidewalls. Looking to change the tyres asap.
I've never shopped for tyres and feel a dealer could easily manipulate me so I need inputs of fellow Bhpians. I drive 80% within Mumbai city and have comfort as the top priority. Which options should I go for?

Michelin XM2 185/60R15:(For sedate driving, lasts really long)
Michelin XM2 195/60R15 for more cushioning

Michelin P4ST 195/60R15( The most expensive option. Better than the XM2 in every aspect)

Yokohama BluEarth AE50 185/60R15: Sits between XM2 and P4ST. The only flaw might be it's sidewall strength- not that rugged
Yokohama BluEarth AE50 195/60R15 for more cushioning

MRF Perfinzas 195/60R15. An all rounder. May not be as comfortable as the other options but redeems itself in terms of ruggedness, silence, grip and feel.

Last edited by Turbohead : 13th August 2019 at 12:11.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 18:41   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Michelin XM2 185/60R15:(For sedate driving, lasts really long).
I've shortlisted the Bridgestone Turanza and Yokohama BlueEarth both are for 5k and size 185/60/R15. Which option would be better?
Old 17th August 2019, 19:20   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
I've shortlisted the Bridgestone Turanza and Yokohama BlueEarth both are for 5k and size 185/60/R15. Which option would be better?
I'm currently using the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 and have done 40k KM's with it. Haven't tried the Yoko BluEarth.

I'm honestly happy with the Bridgestone Turanza tyres. But comfort isn't it's forte and feels average( not harsh though). But it excels in grip, control, steering feel and above all are abuse friendly!

The Yoko's are known for its comfort and silence and I assume will be silent on Mumbai's concrete roads. I'm not sure about it's sidewall strength which could be it's only weakness. I simply can't comment on grip or handling as I haven't seen too many reviews but it seems to be on par or atleast satisfactory.

Since you drive primarily in the city and comfort is your priority, I would go with the Yoko BluEarth. But if the roads you travel on are very very bad, I would suggest the Turanza.
Old 18th October 2019, 19:19   #598
Senior - BHPian

I am expecting delivery of Vento HIghline plus in the next few days.
The tyre size is 195/44R16. However, all the cars I have seen so far are having Apollo Alnac tyres. I am not sure how good are these tyres and should I be replacing them.

One thing I know about changing tyres is you do it at the time of delivery or drive it for a good amount of time before going for a change. I did the same in my Honda Jazz as I changed the stock Goodyear to Michelin XM1 on delivery. After that, I have been using Michelins all throughout - currently running 3rd set of tyres, Michelin XM2.

I need advise from the forum if I should be changing the stock Apollo tyres on delivery. My preference is noise, ride and grip (in that order).
Can you please help me with the choice? Few options I have in mind are Michelin XM2/P4ST/Conti MC5. I am open to other brands like Bridgestone or Pirellis as well.
Old 18th October 2019, 19:30   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
My preference is noise, ride and grip (in that order).
Since you already have experience with the quiet ride of the Michelin would suggest going with the same brand, albeit you can try the P4ST this time around.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 19:37   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Since you already have experience with the quiet ride of the Michelin would suggest going with the same brand, albeit you can try the P4ST this time around.
Thanks, Abhinav.
While I have been happy with the Michelins, they have not been very durable. I do drive though some pretty rough roads and they have been prone to punctures, sidewall bulges, etc. I had a scary tyre blast as well but that was probably my fault.

I was checking the Michelin website. They only have the XM2 in stock 195/55 R16 size. Also, there are 2 options - 83V and 87V, with considerable difference in price. It seems the load index is different - not sure if that makes any difference in practical scenario. P4ST is available in 205/55R16 size which is one size bigger than stock. I think Vento Highline plus is adequately tired and does not need an upsize.

Any other options? The dealer here was recommending Conti MC5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks