Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2015, 17:49   #136
BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
All Jaguar's require is- Work. They hardly seem to be bulletproof, that way. I never liked them, truth be told. Just saw a Jaguar- MH12HV137. The interiors were just utterly useless. No doubt- Merc & Beemers rule.

Yet, they remain very special cars, yes indeed.
FINTAIL, your thoughts on Jaguar's have stirred up some fond memories of mine with the marque so let me pen them down. As you read on, you will see that I agree with some of what you've said and there several points where my opinion differs. If you haven't already, try to chance on a drive in a fast, classic Jaguar.

I drove a XK120 roadster and a E-Type Series 1.5 on open roads and they are exhilarating to drive! The Series 1.5 was actually a nickname because they had some features of the original Series I which came with the 3.8 ltr motor and the Series II which had the 4.2 ltr motor. Both the Series 1.5 and the II are widely regarded as the best of the E-types; people say that the Series III V12 motor put too much load on the front and the car didn't handle as well plus the extra 6 cylinders didn't add much power.

Here's my assessment of the XK120 and the E-Type I drove:

-Pure eye candy! A lot of people say that the E-Type is the sexiest car in the world; with the exception of the Mercedes 300SL Gullwing, I D But keep in mind that in their time you could buy 3 or more E-Types for the price of a 300SL and the even more expensive BMW 507.

-Very fast

-Good brakes (I think Dunlop was amongst the first companies to develop disc brakes and Jag was amongst the first to use them on the E-Type, having first successfully tried them on the D-Type)

-Both being fairly early cars had basic but purposeful interiors, no fuss

-Turns heads everywhere

-Just a bit unreliable lol

- All the above make them genuine sports cars!

I'll qualify the reliability part. After driving the E-Type and bringing it back to the owner's residence, I turned off the engine as I wanted to have a look at that beautiful motor with the shiny twin cam valve covers and the triple SU setup. Spent 10 minutes checking out the engine bay and just ogling at the car. I then went to start the car to garage it and...she refused to start! The owner was pretty nonchalant about it, he said that it needed a little time to cool off which was pretty much how the car behaved every time he drove it. And believe me, the car was in good tune, overall great shape and it was a cold day (this was in the US). Regardless, she lost her cool. She regained her composure after 10 minutes and was up and running again!

To be fair, electrical faults have been a factor in the unreliability of many Jags; after all, Lucas didn't get the tag "Prince of Darkness" without reason

People who've restored different models of Jags say they're finicky cars, temperamental almost.

All said and done, as you said, they are very special cars, most of them. They look beautiful, the saloons have opulent interiors (perhaps you talk about a late E-Type interior which had the plastic type dash hence your disapproval) and when equipped with the larger motors the sedans were very fast. Plus, up to the early 70s, hardly any manufacturer could match the combination of speed and price a Jaguar afforded. Jag had an ad line in the late mid 60s which pretty much summed up what their cars stood for and I think it went something like "Grace, Space and Pace".

Yes, I can't imagine the 1.5 litre Jag Mk IV to be much fun to drive (no offense to owners intended) with all that weight and a 1.5 ltr motor but they have the same body as the 2.5 and 3.5 ltr and look so elegant. Similarly, I can't imagine the SS One or the SS 90 to be fast even in its day but they sure look great. And the the numerous victories in the Le Mans by the XK120s, 140s, C-Types & D-Types added to the marque's sports car credentials.

Great cars with a few flaws. Guess you really can't have it all can you!

Although not an India car, I can't resist posting a photo of the E-Type I drove of which I talk about so fondly.

Cheers!

mbz180

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-jage.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th January 2015 at 02:35. Reason: removed extra smiley, thanks
mbz180 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 22:28   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Dr Anup K. Pujari, IAS, the then DG of Foreign Trade, featured in these pictures who had issued the original circular. He is now Secretary, Ministry of Mines.

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-2015-feb-038.jpg

(Dr Pujari, second from left)

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-2015-feb-039.jpg

(Dr Pujari, third from the right. Mr Narendra Singh Tomar, Union Minister of Steel and Mines is seen here on the extreme left)

(clicked last week at the Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi, where I was for a meeting)

Quote:

Some suggestions that I have discussed with a bureaucrat at the helm and would like to put these forth here, as far as imports of the pre- 1950's cars are concerned:

(1) Designated dealers need to be appointed in major cities, who shall have the licence to import such cars and display them in their showrooms to enable retail sales for public consumption. The cost including import duties, if at realistic levels will attract individual buyers, who will be free from hassles of importing and documenting the car, and thereafter seeking appropriate mandatory clearances.

(2) Homologation of such imports under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 will certify their roadworthiness and fitness to be driven on Indian roads, as of now. The procedures need to be streamlined, as the wide galaxy of models available as imports will mean that each such car will have to be tested individually at the ARAI. As the imports are through one or two designated ports (Nhava Seva port is one such port through which imports are being made), ARAI would do well by setting up an extension office near every such port. The costs can be recovered by the ARAI through the revenues earned. The makes and models of all cars that used to be imported into India (our imports were rampant and nearly duty free till 1955) need to be exempted from homologation, if in stock condition with its original body, chassis and engine in place.

(3) The valuation of the imported car is quite controversial. Hence, the cost price of the imports on which duties are to be levied has grey areas. A Committee of experts ( may be drawn from recognised and registered Vintage / Classic Car Clubs across India ) needs to list the car makes/ models/ model year and finalise a reference list that can act as a ready reckoner to refer to its cost price. The price range can be given for Brand ABC, model XXXX as US $ 3000 - $ 5000 depending on its condition, after listing the particular model. The ready reckoner with detailed listings of commonly available car models will need a revision every two or three years as the cost prices move northwards periodically.

(4) We can also think of having licenced International Class, Vintage and Classic Car Restoration Workshops in a few locations, where the old cars can be imported from abroad, repaired, restored and then exported. This is because repair and restoration of old cars is big business in the west and due to the high labour costs in the developed countries, the final price tag is quite high. This business needs tax holidays and will generate employment and earn foreign exchange for our country. If the restored car is a pre- 1950 model, it can as well be sold in India.

(5) Progressively, the imports of cars manufactured till 1960 can be relaxed in the future, if circumstances permit.

[ subject open for debate and fine tuning ]

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th February 2015 at 22:45.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 00:24   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I am not talking about an E type but an Eagle roadster. The brother of the owner of MH 14 was seen on a few occasions driving it. Then there was no sign of it.
Are you sure it was NOT the one-off car "Cydon" built by YZP's uncle ?
Old 14th February 2015, 00:58   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
An Eagle Speedster coming to India! I would definitely want to see this.

And looks like some have got New Years gifts,including an 1913 Silver Ghost!
This is interesting. RR SG 2354 originally came to India (without a body) in 1927. It must have since been exported, since this notification says "Reimport"!
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 08:52   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
This is interesting. RR SG 2354 originally came to India (without a body) in 1927. It must have since been exported, since this notification says "Reimport"!

Yes , it's a re import and belongs to the Jaiswals. Was sent to England to a coach builder fitter and it's back . Should be seen in the upcoming show in March

Cheers
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 21:48   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-india-rr-imports-2014.jpg

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-india-rr-imports-2014-gdp57-cropped.jpg

The picture of GDP57 above, was when sold by The Real car Co in 1992! I am sure the car is in much better nick now.

It was sold by Bonhams in 2011 for GBP 28,750

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19279/lot/215/

Last edited by travancore : 16th February 2015 at 21:53.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 18:39   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I am not talking about an E type but an Eagle roadster. The brother of the owner of MH 14 was seen on a few occasions driving it. Then there was no sign of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Even I am guessing it must be the Cydon owned (and built) by Mr.CP
Pics for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-firstcar_092611120424.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-image_gallery.jpg  

Old 17th February 2015, 20:15   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Attachment 1340568

Attachment 1340569

The picture of GDP57 above, was when sold by The Real car Co in 1992! I am sure the car is in much better nick now.

It was sold by Bonhams in 2011 for GBP 28,750

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19279/lot/215/
If the car was sold for GBP 28,750 in 2011, I am sure the current selling price must have been higher. The import database shows declared price as INR 13 Lakhs. How is this possible. Is value depreciation valid in such cases ?
Old 18th February 2015, 12:33   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Even I am guessing it must be the Cydon owned (and built) by Mr.CP
Pics for reference:
Well i do know my cars. There is a vast difference between a Cydon and an E type or Eagle E type.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 16:15   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

These two cars have just landed in India and I think are part of a Delhi collection.

13-Feb-2015 UNRESTORED INCOMPLETE GM 1929 VINTAGE CAR+PARTS FOR IT ENG.NO.309247+321714

13-Feb-2015 UNRESTORED INCOMPLETE GM 1931 VINTAGE CAR+PARTS FOR IT ENG.NO.1000121

Interesting part is that it is stated for the cars to be incomplete, I was under the impression that the cars to be imported had to be in reasonable working condition.
Old 18th February 2015, 16:45   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

At the recent VCCCI rally in Pune, Mr. Nitin Dossa announced 2 important points regarding import of vintage cars. One is that he categorically stated that the VCCCI will assist and advise in the matters of car imports absolutely free of charge - no fees involved. The second point - a much more important point in my view - is that he also stated that registration of imported cars is very much allowed and 100% legal. I think this second point is great news for anyone looking to import a car. I do not have details of the legalities, but I am sure that if the club is contacted they will provide the same.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 18:23   #147
Senior - BHPian

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
These two cars have just landed in India and I think are part of a Delhi collection.

13-Feb-2015 UNRESTORED INCOMPLETE GM 1929 VINTAGE CAR+PARTS FOR IT ENG.NO.309247+321714

13-Feb-2015 UNRESTORED INCOMPLETE GM 1931 VINTAGE CAR+PARTS FOR IT ENG.NO.1000121

Interesting part is that it is stated for the cars to be incomplete, I was under the impression that the cars to be imported had to be in reasonable working condition.

Well to my knowledge the cars can be imported in any condition . Which GM cars are these - again Cadillacs ? Or some other GM makes.

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 18th February 2015 at 18:24.
Old 3rd April 2015, 17:30   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Two more cars came in on 19th March, landed at Tughlakabad.

19-Mar-2015 ALVIS SILVER EAGLE (1933) IN CKD Condition from United Kingdom valued @ Rs. 650,492/-

19-Mar-2015 LANCHESTER 21HP (1927) IN CKD Condition from United Kingdom valued @ Rs. 650,492/-
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 18:54   #149
Senior - BHPian

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Two more cars came in on 19th March, landed at Tughlakabad.

19-Mar-2015 ALVIS SILVER EAGLE (1933) IN CKD Condition from United Kingdom valued @ Rs. 650,492/-

19-Mar-2015 LANCHESTER 21HP (1927) IN CKD Condition from United Kingdom valued @ Rs. 650,492/-

May someone explain what's the process for valuation for CKD ? This is something new . Removing a fender becomes CKD looks like . God bless the country !

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 3rd April 2015 at 18:56.
Old 3rd April 2015, 22:44   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Well to my knowledge the cars can be imported in any condition . Which GM cars are these - again Cadillacs ? Or some other GM makes.

Cheers
Both are Cadillacs . 1931 is a V12 Roadster and the 1929 a V8 Convertible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks