Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 16:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India

The import policy for the import of pre-1950 cars is active and a number of cars have come into the country.
It seems that the designated port is Nhava Sheva through which such cars have to come into India.
Valuation can be a hitch, one has to provide adequate proof of the value of the vehicle when it was new. On this depreciation is calculated. Once the value is agreed you may pay around 200% in customs duty and surcharges. Valuation differences kept one car in the port for many months and added demurrage to its cost. Another cars valuation is being rechecked. So be very careful.
While importing a purpose has to be mentioned, such as “for use in vintage car rallies”, “for display in a museum” etc. These are some possible reasons. You will not be able to register the car for road use. I believe that cars need not be RHD nor do they need to pass stringent emission tests. Some may like to go to court over the registration, others will say that they will manage, still others will say that the rules will change. Let that be for the future, today you can’t register these cars because there is no provision to do so and any hanky panky by monkeying around at remotely located RTO’s can be a serious problem later.
Some really fancy cars have come in, I personally don’t see the point if they can’t be registered and used on the roads. Maybe in Republic Day Parades. The cars need to be in reasonable assembled conditions, no junks for restoration.
I believe that even in the Cartier event next year such cars will have a separate category, maybe as imports.
It seems that WIAA and VCCCI have diversified into this new activity as per VCCCI website. They solicit business offering advice and clearance, but give no details about fees.
All this info is to the best of my knowledge, please check elsewhere for accuracy. Since I have no intention to import a car under this scheme I will not get the experience. I guess anyone willing to share his experience is welcome to do so.

Cheers and keep them rolling in.
harit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 18:52   #62
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure of the rules but this is a mere guess!

The only way and only people who could drive these would be car dealers who could slap temp dealer plates on it.
Old 6th May 2014, 13:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The import policy for the import of pre-1950 cars is active and a number of cars have come into the country.
It seems that the designated port is Nhava Sheva through which such cars have to come into India.
Valuation can be a hitch, one has to provide adequate proof of the value of the vehicle when it was new. On this depreciation is calculated. Once the value is agreed you may pay around 200% in customs duty and surcharges. Valuation differences kept one car in the port for many months and added demurrage to its cost. Another cars valuation is being rechecked. So be very careful.
While importing a purpose has to be mentioned, such as “for use in vintage car rallies”, “for display in a museum” etc. These are some possible reasons. You will not be able to register the car for road use. I believe that cars need not be RHD nor do they need to pass stringent emission tests. Some may like to go to court over the registration, others will say that they will manage, still others will say that the rules will change. Let that be for the future, today you can’t register these cars because there is no provision to do so and any hanky panky by monkeying around at remotely located RTO’s can be a serious problem later.
Some really fancy cars have come in, I personally don’t see the point if they can’t be registered and used on the roads. Maybe in Republic Day Parades. The cars need to be in reasonable assembled conditions, no junks for restoration.
I believe that even in the Cartier event next year such cars will have a separate category, maybe as imports.
It seems that WIAA and VCCCI have diversified into this new activity as per VCCCI website. They solicit business offering advice and clearance, but give no details about fees.
All this info is to the best of my knowledge, please check elsewhere for accuracy. Since I have no intention to import a car under this scheme I will not get the experience. I guess anyone willing to share his experience is welcome to do so.

Cheers and keep them rolling in.
Great info Harit, any names or pictures of the cars you mentioned that have come in under this policy ? Please share
Old 6th May 2014, 14:57   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
today you can’t register these cars because there is no provision to do so and any hanky panky by monkeying around at remotely located RTO’s can be a serious problem later.
Some really fancy cars have come in, I personally don’t see the point if they can’t be registered and used on the roads.
Which brings to mind another question- assuming it hasn't been asked before- what about insuring them locally once they come in, if they are not registered? Even for 3rd party (not that insurance cos. here would be willing to offer comprehensive policies for very old cars anyways, from experience!) How would one go about insuring an unregistered vehicle in the country? Or are they 'exempted' from insurance as well, being considered as just 'display' vehicles?

Last edited by Stanher : 6th May 2014 at 15:06.
Old 6th May 2014, 21:43   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Great info Harit, any names or pictures of the cars you mentioned that have come in under this policy ? Please share
Valuation is a sore point,no doubt.But, once cleared the RTO will register the cars.I have done it.
Old 6th May 2014, 22:01   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Valuation is a sore point,no doubt.But, once cleared the RTO will register the cars.I have done it.
Ananth sir , have you imported one ?
Old 7th May 2014, 18:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What did you import ?
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 13:28   #68
BHPian

Quote:
The cars that can come into India under the notification discussed cannot be legally registered. They are for display purposes only and perhaps can be taken out for participation in a licensed rally !

that some people may manage to register them in some RTO does not make it a legal route!

If You , Mr Ananth, have imported a car under this notification and registered it on your name, please let us know what car, when you brought it in, and where you registered it.

Buyers , and there are plenty, over 24 cars having come in, should beware of anyone offering to import and register the cars for them. Ultimately the responsibility will rest on the purchaser , ignorance of the law not being an excuse to avoid prosecution.

Some time in future the rule may change , today it stands

Last edited by Bulldogji : 8th May 2014 at 13:32.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 16:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The only way and only people who could drive these would be car dealers who could slap temp dealer plates on it.
No, that's not correct. Dealer plates are also regulated, the dealer has to maintain a register. Also valid for a limited period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
No pictures, yes names are known, some big collectors. You can expect to see these cars at events. Most common is Cadillac of various years and engine sizes, one recently got a prize for supposedly being the first of such imports, actually some cars preceded it. But that's normal here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
......what about insuring them locally once they come in, if they are not registered? Even for 3rd party......
No problem to insure an asset, like paintings, furniture, home etc. Of course no third party for that. My guess.

Quote:
Valuation is a sore point,no doubt. But, once cleared the RTO will register the cars.I have done it.
Actually valuation rule is clear, list price when new, less depreciation. The problem is evidence of list price at that time. Under this notification RTO definitely cannot register. The cars which were brought in a few years ago in Chennai were not imported under this category, those were mainly TR, foreign collaboration etc. Most were even post 1950, really not in this category at all. We are talking only about the not so new notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
The cars that can come into India under the notification discussed cannot be legally registered. They are for display purposes only and perhaps can be taken out for participation in a licensed rally! That some people may manage to register them in some RTO does not make it a legal route! ......... Some time in future the rule may change , today it stands
Exactly. I like "licensed" rally, theserallies are either becoming rare or held in hot conditions. Others ignore and hold unlicensed events.

Some are referring to the 1984 Motor Act and say that under that act even LHD cars are allowed. There is no restriction except for the year, pre-1950. If the intention is to register and use the vehicle, one will have to bring in the cars under a different rule like TR. Then the ball game will change entirely, starting with valuation. Why should the government go by the depreciated purchase price of a car and lose revenue? We all would buy suitable usable cars and enjoy cheap motoring. The scheme allows for cars to be enjoyed for looking at and showing off. Just like you would with a painting by Picasso.
Hopefully changes will be made in the law in future, maybe even with retrospective effect, and have a provision to register these cars. But today, they go into the garage or restoration shops.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 17:05   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No problem to insure an asset, like paintings, furniture, home etc. Of course no third party for that. My guess.
But to insure vehicles don't you need a registration number? Or do they do what they do in AP for new vehicles prior to registration- just take engine and chassis nos. and simply mention "NEW" under vehicle regn. column in the policy document?
Old 8th May 2014, 19:53   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

The U.S. laws are more focused and better worded to allow imports of cars older than 21 years that need no EPA clearance (Ambassadors , Premiers and Maruti 800's can also go).

Cars older than 25 years are exempt from the DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Overall, the law has positive aspects to help the importer.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th May 2014 at 19:59.
Old 8th May 2014, 20:24   #72
BHPian

First let me clarify. I got in a car, but, not under the new regulations.Second, once a car is cleared thru customs legally, RTO will register them,Rto cannot refuse. I think unecessary fuss is being made. Let me ask. Do all heritage cars here have current valid documents?Do all heritage cars here pass emission tests? Some unrestored cars in India do not even have a license plate, leave alone the book.RTO is a state department & they should register it, even if it is LHD, though LHD is not permitted for import
Old 8th May 2014, 21:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First let me clarify. I got in a car, but, not under the new regulations.Second, once a car is cleared thru customs legally, RTO will register them,Rto cannot refuse. I think unecessary fuss is being made. Let me ask. Do all heritage cars here have current valid documents?Do all heritage cars here pass emission tests? Some unrestored cars in India do not even have a license plate, leave alone the book.RTO is a state department & they should register it, even if it is LHD, though LHD is not permitted for import
There is no legal obligation on the part of the State Motor Vehicle department and its representative RTO to register all imported cars cleared via customs.They have their own guidelines for this.
For example the yellow Austin Mini Moke (1983 model) which is now in your place Chennai was having a tough time getting registration in Trivandrum and it took several years and great effort for it.
Whether all "'heritage cars'''have current valid documents is a different issue,but legally to ply on the roads they should have them.
RTO may be a state department but the Acts governing them is Central,ie
MVI Act,1989.So they cannot ignore central diktats as you seem to suggest
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 21:48   #74
BHPian

The following cars have been imported -

American Napier (Imported in 2012 - quite a mystery. The chassis number too has a history associated with it. I'll leave the rest of it for y'all to find out!)

1933 Austin 20

1933 Rolls Royce 20/25

(As Haritji says, Cadillacs seem to be favorites)

Cadillac -

1938 4 door
1941 4 door
1949 Series 61
1947 Series 62

Now, here's a surprising thing - A Rolls Royce 25/30 made its way to Delhi sometime in 2012. I wonder how this was possible considering that pre-1950 cars were banned from importing back then. It was brought under TR, so maybe different rules applied to it ??

Cars post-1950 which have arrived -

1974 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow
1976 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow
1960 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I

Last edited by Rosso Corsa : 8th May 2014 at 22:00.
Rosso Corsa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 23:23   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, that's not correct. Dealer plates are also regulated, the dealer has to maintain a register. Also valid for a limited period.

No pictures, yes names are known, some big collectors. You can expect to see these cars at events. Most common is Cadillac of various years and engine sizes, one recently got a prize for supposedly being the first of such imports, actually some cars preceded it. But that's normal here.
Tracked one from www.zauba.com

22-Jan-2014
*7033391 USED CADILLAC CAR 62 SERIES YOM-1947CHASIS NO.6422173C.C.5670[REGN UNDR NON-TRANSPORT CAT.]FOR VINTAGE CAR RALLIES ONLY] United States Nhava Sheva Sea UNT 1
Value Rs 716,644
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks