Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 18:42   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
in 71 came indias first indigenous car...the gazel

Can anyone confirm if this Gazel ever was registered as TNN-1342?

There are some serious tell tale signs similar to the Gazel my dad bought in 1981 in Banglore. (1) The bonnet did not open from the usual place, but was more like a fiat (2) The door handles except on the driver side were all like that of a fiat (3) The fuel can popping out a lot more than it should.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:14   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
Can anyone confirm if this Gazel ever was registered as TNN-1342?
There are some serious tell tale signs similar to the Gazel my dad bought in 1981 in Banglore. (1) The bonnet did not open from the usual place, but was more like a fiat (2) The door handles except on the driver side were all like that of a fiat
No, I remember my friend who had this car telling me that it was originally owned by an Army col. in Hyd. who later brought it with him on his transfer to bangalore, where it was re-registered. My friend was I think the 3rd owner (no idea where this car is now, he left it lying in a plot near his home along with a couple of other cars of his when he left for the US; I had a friend recently check the place and he reported that none of these cars are there)

This model is the "mk2" Gazel, with the features you mentioned. We;ve had a simialr one too. BTW, AFAIK, all the door handles on this model were Fiat ones, including the driver's door. Because they were shared from the Padmini parts bin at the time, maybe for easier availability of spares. Another tell-tale signs were the original orange round side-indicators.

Also TNN would be a Nilgiris regn. if I'm not mistaken (because N = Nilgiris even in the older "MD" series)
Old 5th November 2009, 16:33   #288
BHPian

Oh ya, but the side indicators did not work! as in they had no lights inside them.

Yes, this car was registerd in the Nilgiris (Coonoor I think), My dad had sold this car to a Navy Commander going to Defence Services Staff College in 1984, since the car came with us from Bangalore to Delhi, and he was going from Delhi to Wellington. We had bought the car from a Lt. Col. who was leaving Staff College in 1981. Its possible that the Navy Lt. Commander sold it to another Army guy.

Last edited by duke : 5th November 2009 at 16:35.
Old 5th November 2009, 17:48   #289
Senior - BHPian

this car is now for sale along with a standard companion in bangalore, one bhaskar is the seller
Old 5th November 2009, 18:59   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
this car is now for sale along with a standard companion in bangalore, one bhaskar is the seller
Which one?? The TNN 1342 Gazel, or the mud-brown one (MEJ) in duke's above post?
Old 5th November 2009, 20:08   #291
Senior - BHPian

mej one i think ,not sure though,check clickindia.com
Old 9th November 2009, 19:25   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

A treat for our Fiatful friends- 'was coming home this evening when I saw this unusual new resident in one of the building parking lots in our society, which made me stop and my jaw drop!

Indian built/assembled classics-eleg02.jpg

Indian built/assembled classics-eleg01.jpg

Indian built/assembled classics-eleg03.jpg

It's a 56-57 elegant dukkar fiat, but got very little original stuff on. I was told by the building watchman that the owner who owns a flat here lives elsewhere in the city and apparently has another car. He has parked this car here as his parking space was getting wasted (maybe even encroached)

Nevertheless, good that I atleast have some company now!!
However, I also won't be surprised if I get questioned by the society authorities about it, as the car could easily be mistaken for mine, parked in someone else's space!

Last edited by Stanher : 9th November 2009 at 19:33.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:48   #293
Senior - BHPian

Aiyyo Shyam, nice, nice ! I yam liking !! Keep an eye on the car. Such cars usually do the disappearing act one fine day.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:37   #294
BHPian

I am not sure these photos are relevant to this thread. Saw this car in the popular Tamil Movie Nayagan. I dont know the name too!!
Attached Images

Old 13th November 2009, 22:47   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post
I am not sure these photos are relevant to this thread. Saw this car in the popular Tamil Movie Nayagan. I dont know the name too!!
Very cute ! That's a "Hanseat" Tempo three wheeler. Do I see an MMQ registration ?!?
Hanseats have completely disappeared from Mumbai, though I'm told they still ply in the North.
Old 14th November 2009, 09:30   #296
BHPian

Posting a few photos of a trekker I came across during a recent trip to Kerala. Nicely and lovingly maintained considering that this is a tourist vehicle.

Indian built/assembled classics-trekker-1.jpg

Indian built/assembled classics-trekker-2.jpg

Indian built/assembled classics-trekker-3.jpg

Indian built/assembled classics-trekker-4.jpg
Old 15th November 2009, 10:43   #297
Senior - BHPian

These tempos (goods carrying one's) still Ply in quite a number in Bhilai a town in central India. The passenger ones have gone out around 2002.

The trekker's are very much popular as a share taxi in states of Bengal and Jharkhand.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th November 2009 at 11:28. Reason: spelling
Old 18th November 2009, 13:29   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Karl these were made by Starline coach builders and sold on special order through premiers sales network as I recall some of them were stretched thus liberating Ton's of leg room for rear seat passenger. In the late 80's I saw some sexy limited edition ones with flared fenders, tasty alloys with balloon tyers and custom interiors with sunroof, eletric windows the works

Harit BTW they used Matador lights with different/thicker black trim.

Beheram I think with Premier sleeping on development these were decent alternatives to an otherwise boring market at least till 85

Behram some folks did do the raked & cut windscreen's with extended nose job privately and again for lack of any alternative in our boring markets they too looked kinda nice with the alloys saw them on the road and one upclose at midtown
I recall these, one of my dad's friend had it in red color wid alloys and so many extras inside he also had a tv inside and some really cool disco style lights that used to glow on the tune of music and some huge yellow 4x4 styled headlights on the roof. and very nice sounding exhaust.

I really liked having a ride in it because it was a gizmo car for me, first of all very different from the usual lot plus the extra bells and whistles
Old 13th February 2010, 21:02   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

My folks spotted this Hindusthan 14 or (Morris Oxford?) in Rajasthan. I think parked next to it was the Humber of BHPian Sidharth 72

Indian built/assembled classics-01.jpg

Indian built/assembled classics-02.jpg
Old 15th February 2010, 17:49   #300
BHPian

yes, this car is parked next to my Humber at Jodhpur (Raj.), it belongs to a relative of mine but sadly he expired few days back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
My folks spotted this Hindusthan 14 or (Morris Oxford?) in Rajasthan. I think parked next to it was the Humber of BHPian Sidharth 72

Attachment 287498

Attachment 287499

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks