Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 17:15   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I doubt it, it looks genuine to me. Besides, the design itself is unique and never offered on later cars, so there is no question of it being a later Padmini wheelcap.
Uh, I did not say its a PADMINI wheelcap! I know its a delight one only, but I said it could be chrome one (I found they were chrome intitially, later ones like yours did come in aluminium.)

Quote:
I really doubt this.
Well you'd once sent me a pic. of a very original select in clacutta but fitted with a few accessories including a super-select grille.......'course that was unlike any normal s.s. grille in the sence it had just a one-piece outer 'lip' around it, unlike the 2-piece 'lips' on normal ss. grilles.
Old 31st May 2008, 17:29   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Uh, I did not say its a PADMINI wheelcap! I know its a delight one only, but I said it could be chrome one (I found they were chrome intitially, later ones like yours did come in aluminium.)
The design of the wheelcap shows it is not the clip fitting (which was available in stainless steel) but the Padmini type fitting, which was only available in aluminium. A few aftermarket duplicate ones were available in poor chrome finish. Theres no point painting an aluminium wheel cap, it would never rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well you'd once sent me a pic. of a very original select in clacutta but fitted with a few accessories including a super-select grille.......'course that was unlike any normal s.s. grille in the sence it had just a one-piece outer 'lip' around it, unlike the 2-piece 'lips' on normal ss. grilles.
That car is fitted with many period accessories from other models, so we cannot make any assumptions derived from it. As far as I know that grille is a one off creation.
Old 31st May 2008, 23:57   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The design of the wheelcap shows it is not the clip fitting (which was available in stainless steel) but the Padmini type fitting, which was only available in aluminium. A few aftermarket duplicate ones were available in poor chrome finish. Theres no point painting an aluminium wheel cap, it would never rust.
Geez, more confusion! :P
Again, I know its NOT a clip fitting older type hubcap, nor did I say it is. Yes I was actually referring to the ones in chrome finish (didnt know they wre aftermarket ones though- thanks for telling me that, I'd earlier preferred these to the aluminium ones, now I'll stay away from them!)

That reminds me- Suren did get a set of the aluminium delight caps from Madras- strangely they were all painted over!
Suren, when could I have these, now that you got a correct older type set for your car?
Old 1st June 2008, 22:07   #214
BHPian

Dear Stanher,
This car is not really original. Grille & hub caps are from super Select.
Ananth
Old 2nd June 2008, 00:22   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Dear Stanher,
This car is not really original. Grille & hub caps are from super Select.
Ananth
Uh, if you are referring to the Select, the hubcaps are padmini ones (which would obviously mean the rims are too.)
Old 7th June 2008, 20:38   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a sneek pic. I managed to take today of a landmaster in daily use owned by a udipi hotel group. The car's got a Bangalore regn. They use it for carrying their foodstuffs/vessels between different branches of theirs in the city. Its in a pretty sad state.

Interiors are mostly buggered up, as is the case with many of these cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian built/assembled classics-landy01.jpg  

Old 7th June 2008, 21:35   #217
Senior - BHPian

Does it have the original dashboard?
Old 7th June 2008, 22:03   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Does it have the original dashboard?
I recall (having seen the interior once before) it not having one, instead having the 'latest' Amby one.
Old 8th June 2008, 22:02   #219
Senior - BHPian

Y'know, it may be worthwhile giving these guys a relatively recent (maybe 20 years old) Amby in exchange for this beauty - It's a win-win situation. They get a newer car, and the other guy gets a classic !!
Old 8th June 2008, 22:25   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Y'know, it may be worthwhile giving these guys a relatively recent (maybe 20 years old) Amby in exchange for this beauty - It's a win-win situation. They get a newer car, and the other guy gets a classic !!
Makes sense (to make such an offer that is, maybe not necessarily as a proposition itself to the receiver) but doesn't always work. I once got a mouthful from the owner of a dilapidated classic that I made such an offer to. I beat a hasty retreat, and their car has never moved out of that garage in these ten years. They use public transport for moving about. Yet I don't really blame him for his response. There're no fixed parameters for defining sense and sensibilities in the world of collectible automobiles, is the only conclusion I've come to.
Old 8th June 2008, 23:17   #221
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you man. I hounded a guy who had not one, not two, but three classics - a select, a delight, and a 1500 for two whole years, and one fine day he sold them all to a third party - without even calling me ! This is indeed a bizarre world !!
Old 8th June 2008, 23:58   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats how I got my Herald!
The ex-owner previously had a Standard super 10 which he sold & later badly missed. Not being able to find him another such car we had him settle for a reasonably good fiat (although he did agree to give the herald for it, we also had to top up the deal with some nominal cash from our side, plus he was irritatingly fussy about minor problems in the fiat, grumbling all along later that we didnt get him a good enough car blah blah blah....! )

Last edited by Stanher : 9th June 2008 at 00:00.
Old 9th June 2008, 08:12   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you man. I hounded a guy who had not one, not two, but three classics - a select, a delight, and a 1500 for two whole years, and one fine day he sold them all to a third party - without even calling me ! This is indeed a bizarre world !!
The 1500 was a cream colour, the select was light blue and white, both MRG regd am I right? The cream delight was MRH I think. All 3 stood side by side in the open. Where did they go?
Old 9th June 2008, 11:15   #224
Senior - BHPian

Spot on, Karl- these three were lying unattended, but were complete cars. The guy promised he would sell them to me, kept me dangling for close to two years with one excuse or the other, and then sold them.
The saving grace is they are (hopefully, according to him) with a collector from Andheri / Goregaon, are being restored, and should hopefully surface soon. He's not willing to give me any contact details of where they are, I'm still hounding him !!
Old 9th July 2008, 21:15   #225
BHPian

Great thread!

This thread is really informative. Karl, can we do something similar to map the history of Lambretta scooters in India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks