Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 08:41   #3616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Dear Ram - thank you for your comments. As regards NC665DP in 1979 and the type of vehicles we used to make in Kandivli, please note as follows:

I fitted the very first Peugeot XDP4.90 engine in a CJ4A vehicle (91" wheelbase with slightly larger rear overhang chassis) in 1980 because the first engines arrived from France in 1980. They came to R&D workshop. The two original engines came with a paper type dry air cleaner mounted on the rocker arm cover which we promptly removed and threw out due to "Indian Conditions" (sigh, some things never improve). You can still see the indentations on the cover though. Therefore, 1979 is not correct. The very first NC665DP vehicle was made in Nasik plant assembly line in 1983. I was standing on the assembly line when it was made. It was light green in colour. It had the "high" platform which was subsequently lowered in 1984. I took it on the same day to Malegaon and back in order to test the cooling system performance along with Mr.Welingkar. The vehicle was fitted with 7.00*15 tyres and in GVW condition I had to maintain 24 / 48 psi tyre pressure or the vehicle was lifting from the front. It was quite a handful to drive but we sold huge numbers.

In those days in Kandivli we used to make CJ3B80'WB4WDRHD / CJ500D91'WB2WDRHD / CJ500D91'WB4WDRHD / CJ4A91'WB2WDRHD / CJ4A91'WB4WDRHD / CJ500D91'WB2WDRHD with Perkins engine ("U" type exhaust pipe) / all above in LHD also.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th February 2011, 09:57   #3617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Mr.Sushil Waman Welingkar (he owned a BMF registered station wagon in immaculate condition, he, alongwith my teacher / mentor Mr.Vijay Dandge who is today Vice President - Manufacturing, also participated in the Jeepers Jamboree held in USA in 1981/82)
I have worked on all vehicles of Kandivli at that time of my career.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram
I remember the Welingkar's Jeep/s in the 80's Also there used to be one Mr. Desraj Kumar at the MM worli office. I think they used to come down to worli together sometimes. Both live near by in Khar. Still with the MM Jeeps. I've sat in their jeeps soemtimes going back home from worli.
Cheers
Old 25th February 2011, 13:13   #3618
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deutscheafrikar - hello. If you remember Mr.Welingkar's vehicle, you may also remember the following vehicles.

MRH4329 - Dark grey CJ4A91"WB2WD Jeep belonging to Mr.T.B.Desai, chief security officer, body was replaced in 1982.
MMU I don't remember the number - grey 4WD Jeep belonging to Mr.O.B.Fernandes of manufacturing, Kandivli.
MMU I don't remember the number - a wide bodied red Jeep with a very odd shape belonging to Mr.Tanavade of vehicle maintenance, Kandivli.
And finally MMH1665 - my CJ3B4WDLHDRCL, which I sold and I am regretting till today. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 13:29   #3619

Quote:
And finally MMH1665 - my CJ3B4WDLHDRCL, which I sold and I am regretting till today. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Is this the one you bought for scrap and then restored? The Recoilless gun carrier?
Old 25th February 2011, 19:33   #3620
Distinguished - BHPian

'just caught sight of this early Standard 20 van junking away in a corner of a garage in Secunderabad today.

It's rather inconspicuous so hard to notice while you're passing by the place.

I intend to go check it out in more detail sometime later.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_8379.jpg
Old 27th February 2011, 11:25   #3621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Deutscheafrikar - hello. If you remember Mr.Welingkar's vehicle, you may also remember the following vehicles.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram, Nope I don't rememeber all the Jeeps. But it's good to know someone who know's the Welingkar's. We will meet up someday, I have some bikes in bandra that you will like to see. It's sad you sold off your MMH 1665.

Regards
Old 27th February 2011, 15:56   #3622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Anjan / Ram
What I am trying to say is that I don't think these long bonnet station wagons were made in 1978. They seem to have been made in the 1960s. The registrations BMF (1961) and MRX (1962) also seem to confirm the same. I may not be correct. I am just putting my thoughts across. Please let me have your comments. If by chance you are meaning some other vehicle, please post a photograph and I will give you my comments immediately because I have worked on all vehicles of Kandivli at that time of my career.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Dhabhar thanks a lot for the old old eye witness account of the M&M factory and the products.
I am sure you will still probe deeper into the mystery of the Mahindra petrol powered Station Wagon (fully Indian built). And this one exactly from mid 1978 has a 4WD (its not 2WD but 4WD) with the Hurricane engine. I think two were bought by the then buyer and I have travelled in the one in this picture in the 1980's. Both had the same colour. This is the original factory two tone shade. I remember seeing it shining new in 1978.The meters are with yellow digits,letters and calibrations (made by Pricol) and the layout is the speedo at the top while the fuel and the temperature gauge meters are below forming a triangular shaped pattern.The three warning lights again form a triangle with two at the top beside the speedo, while one is at the bottom between the two smaller fuel and temperature meters. This is the same pattern the CJ4A and the CJ500D had in 1978, on their dashboards.
I will try for more pictures of this prodigy from M&M that came out in 1978 with the Mahindra badge.
Again off topic, I had one 1980 CJ4A (steel grey bought in July 1980)) with the Hurricane engine that I had used till 1985, doing some 100,000 kms.The CJ4A's had become very rare with the advent of the CJ500D.These were among the last batch of CJ4A's that were built by M&M. I am sure Behram Dhabhar will be able to elaborate.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc03453.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
This is really a rare find, Thanks for the information.

regards
- Invinci
thanks invinci I am sure Dhabhar will solve the mystery behind these Indian Station Wagons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
anjan_c2007, Ram , Wasif and DHABHAR.BEHRAM all you guys have gone

But the kind of knowledge you guys share on such topics make these threads the BEST
Thanks Pavan really we are off topic since many of the past posts but we will solve the mystery with Behram Dhabhar at the helm.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th February 2011 at 15:58.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:39   #3623
BHPian

The green Model A is awaiting the right restorer ( as per the present owner )
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image05.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3047.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3044.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3048.jpg  

Old 1st March 2011, 08:37   #3624
BHPian

A great car , rusting in pieces now -
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-28022011.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-28022011001.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-28022011002.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-28022011003.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-28022011004.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-28022011005.jpg  

Old 1st March 2011, 09:17   #3625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Interesting pictures .....what car is it. Looks like a hg end British straight eight....is it a Daimler

How come you find so many nice cars in such distressing condition in and around Lucknow
Old 1st March 2011, 09:58   #3626
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pls save it, for whatever its worth. What car is this?
Old 1st March 2011, 12:11   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
the chassis is quite short, interesting to see that it has what appears to be a well for a side mounted spare on the right fender, as well as a rear mounted spare, the position of the gear lever and the barely visible hand brake lever, the really close set valves, shape of the steering wheel, make me take a wild shot in the dark, could this by any freak chance be a Hillman Eight?!
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:56   #3628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The old Willys Station Wagon is quite famous and was a tough workhorse of its times. The 4x4 version was like any Willys jeep (there was no 2WD jeep then) and was tougher that many SUV's of today.
Many of us may not know but the fact is that Mahindra and Mahindra mated the Hurricane engine (petrol) and gearbox and made it available with this Station Wagon body introduced sometime in 1978. It was the second coming for the Willys kind of Station Wagon. The body was a bit crude here and was not like the old American one.
This is one example in its original two tone paint.
I believe I have written about this kind of Mahindra in some earlier posts.
These never came with a diesel (though the MD 2350 International Harvester engine was a star diesel engine of the 1970's) and only a few units were sold. The model was soon made to call it quits!
The real thing is here for us to see and then offer our opinions.I am sure many have been anxious to know how M&M ventured into this one at a time when petrol prices were spiralling! I found the door latches matching with the Premier Padmini (Kurla to Kandivili) and the rear number plate light borrowed from the Ambassador Mark 3 (Uttarpara to Kandivili). The tail light is from the CJ4A/500D and so are the orange rear indiicators. The steering wheel is from the CJ4A/500D and so is the button that had a silver and red plate with Mahindra written on it. The meters and switches are all from the CJ4A/500D.The colours and letters from the horn button are now gone.
BUT THE GREATEST SURPRISE???? Is the letter "W" from Willys on the bonnet chrome ornamentation!
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-stn-wgn-1.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-stn-wgn-2.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-stn-wgn-4.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-syn-wgn-3.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-stn-wgn-6.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-stn-wgn-5.jpg

Name:  Stn Wgn 7.JPG
Views: 2943
Size:  69.0 KB

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc07048.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc07049.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc07052.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd March 2011 at 20:02.
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:02   #3629
Senior - BHPian

Is this a LANCIA ? Or a Lanchester

Quote:
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:44   #3630
BHPian

Hello ,

It is a Hillman Eight.