Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 19:20   #4366
BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Prabal,

Rest assured your memory cells are intact . This is what the Google Baba/Wiki Baba had to say about this...
There you go. Thanks, Ram! I'm glad that my intake of Woodward's Gripe Water and Milk of Magnesia haven't fried my brains completely yet!

Did the article mention Birmalloy also anywhere, and bear any reference to this alloy being used in aircraft as well? From which part-bin, a surplus leftover went into making the initial lot of Landy's bodies?
Old 4th March 2013, 16:02   #4367
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted a very original (going by the exterior) VW Variant parked somewhere in Santacruz and gathering dust. The car also has a Standard Herald and a Mazda RX-7 giving it company (both rusting away).

Does anyone know about these cars? The RX-7, I believe, is the same one that was owned by Team Motor Works and was painted in yellow / black for one of the Speedrun events. The Variant seems to be in good condition but just gathering dust and leaves.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:35   #4368
Senior - BHPian

Found this LOW BONNET lying near Arya Honda Lalbaug workshop in erstwhile Bombay Gas Company compound: Not really a R.I.P candidate but certainly on-the-way.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130304_123446.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130304_123456.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130304_123508.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130304_123516.jpg

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 11:13   #4369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Found this LOW BONNET lying near Arya Honda Lalbaug workshop in erstwhile Bombay Gas Company compound: Not really a R.I.P candidate but certainly on-the-way.
Attachment 1058381
Attachment 1058382
Attachment 1058383
Attachment 1058385

Raab rakha.
Wow ...what a find, its still intact with many original parts and should be saved. Any idea if the original engine is still in it ?

The Landy behind the Jeep also looks cool, any pictures of it

Are they on slae or an they be bought ?

Last edited by wasif : 5th March 2013 at 11:14.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:28   #4370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Raab rakha.
Sonu, what a find. looks very nice, man these are getting rare now a days. This probably is not RIP and would have come for intensive work, the registration suggest that she was used quite recently. And by the landy also there suggest these are lying with a garage, scheduled for future work or May be these are procured by the Arya honda owners. Please give us more pictures, Would love to see the engine bay. Some gauges seems to be original.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:52   #4371
BHPian

Quote:
Found this LOW BONNET lying near...
Wow, just the kind of post that makes me want to log in and say: thank you for sharing such a find! This Jeep can come up really nice, she's almost already there, bar the little neglect. The Land Rover looks like one mean machine too - with special touches for some purposeful application. I hope the owner has them on the top drawer of his/her mind.
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 19:44   #4372
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this couple of days back. Looks like this was recently disposed.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130315_100020.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130315_100037.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 21:48   #4373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Where is this? surprising that it has been dumped in such a relatively good condition. Won't take much to get back on the road. It may have some paper issues else these are daily runners for sure.
Old 17th March 2013, 21:54   #4374
BHPian

Quote:
hi Naveen,
is this one in Cochin?? if so where?
my friend is looking for a cheap 123 and i think we could save it from the scrappy. Thanks for sharing the pictures
Saud
Old 18th March 2013, 10:13   #4375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Where is this? surprising that it has been dumped in such a relatively good condition. Won't take much to get back on the road. It may have some paper issues else these are daily runners for sure.
This is in Cochin. Yes, it's in pretty good condition. Just asked a guy working there and he said that it's been lying there for sometime now and looks like it's been dumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
hi Naveen,
is this one in Cochin?? if so where?
my friend is looking for a cheap 123 and i think we could save it from the scrappy. Thanks for sharing the pictures
Saud
Will pm the details.
Old 18th March 2013, 22:34   #4376
BHPian

Quote:
This is in Cochin. Yes, it's in pretty good condition. Just asked a guy working there and he said that it's been lying there for sometime now and looks like it's been dumped.

Will pm the details.
Kindly consider me in line for the Details too!
Old 19th March 2013, 08:56   #4377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki9559 View Post

Kindly consider me in line for the Details too!
What is happening ? People dumping MBs ? That is not done even in the US. This must be stolen or have a shady history. I would stay away from it.
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 14:25   #4378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
What is happening ? People dumping MBs ? That is not done even in the US. This must be stolen or have a shady history. I would stay away from it.
You are likely to be correct, as such a good W123 is unlikely to be dumped in Kerala!!
Old 19th March 2013, 23:39   #4379
BHPian

I believe Mr Titus acquired the 1958 Edsel Villager station wagon a few years back in a "blocked-up" condition. This was the same car I had enquired about some time ago. An American missionary had imported it in 1959. It had a ' USL---' license plate with "Coast Edsel- Glendale" frame. It was used around Ghaziabad-Meerut-Delhi. It was known to be the only Edsel in India. My brother in law, who succeeded, the American as the Director of the Institution, used it till repairs /parts became difficult to obtain . I drove it a few times and loved it. It was a v-8 and three speed manual. It was imported customs exempted and not allowed to be sold . The Eingine suffered damage on account it required premium gas and the low octane gasoline available then was not suitable. Which brings a question - classic cars with high compression engines - how have they managed to survive. Of course, now high Test Gas is available in India. Did the owners simply drove with low octane and allowed the engine to knock itself to death or simply avoiding driving, which is equally bad for any car !
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 10:33   #4380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
.......... It was known to be the only Edsel in India. .............
There was a cream/white coloured Edsel 4-door sedan in Mumbai, and for a while it was lying close to the "Bhandh" at Juhu, near the crossing but in line with SNDT. A few others remember that car too. No idea what happened to it.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks