Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:39   #3751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Can you post the actual car pics Shyam, on how it actually looks like.

Oh.. Thats a Montana is it.. For me both cars look the same.
This is a Dolphin (based on the UK's Reliant Kitten):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/37306.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/37308.jpg

And this a Montana:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/37311.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/37315.jpg

Quote:
This car belongs to one Mr Satyanarayana.

This particular Car came to Bangalore in 1978, in full running condition from Hyderabad.

During 1985 - 1990 the car was handed over to one Mr. S******I in a decent running condition.

But in the end, the car will never see the light of the day....
Sad to hear this car's story Pavan! A pity that a car once good now has this fate due to a mechanic's negligence!
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:00   #3752
BHPian

Quote:
What a Gory sight

Must be some Chevy V8.

One more case of an abandoned car that came in for Restoration, will not talk about who did this (Not interested in a useless debate with some guys)

And other dolphins which anyways nobody bothers getting restored...

Its a 1936 V8 Ford, ,the gear box too seems missing.Can be used only as a donor car.
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:14   #3753
Senior - BHPian

yup its an early ford V8 allright. The monogramme is clearly that used by Ford V8s. Most probably came with a running board and steel chrome hubcaps with the same V8 script on them.
Old 24th June 2011, 07:54   #3754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM
What a Gory sight

Must be some Chevy V8.

One more case of an abandoned car that came in for Restoration, will not talk about who did this (Not interested in a useless debate with some guys)

And other dolphins which anyways nobody bothers getting restored...
Pavan I respect your thoughts on Mr. S. But recently I purchased a car in Bangalore and Mr S and his people attended to it off site over a period of 5 days, how many restorers would that. The issue at times in my humble opinion happens on ones rapport, knowing the restorers shortcomings and ones own basic knowledge when interacting with them.

Owners all over India who I have met or spoken to have had different experiences with varied restorers. Therefore one can't tar any restorer with one or two experiences or here-say. I am too junior here to start a debate, it just a thought from my end.

Cheers
AK
Old 24th June 2011, 13:45   #3755
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sad to hear this car's story Pavan! A pity that a car once good now has this fate due to a mechanic's negligence!
In my experience I would always blame the owners. The owner should take full responsibility of their cars on a full time basis. If he is not happy then just move the car to another workshop as we have seen in a recent case. No one is wedded to a mechanic/restorer for life. The owner must be fully involved in the restoration process other wise there will always be trouble however big or small the restorer is.

There are many sad stories to tell Stanher but believe every thing has a background. There can be no smoke without fire. But I would reiterate the owner has to take sole responsibility for the end result as he has to live with the end product.

Well another useless debate, I guess.

Cheers

KPS
Old 26th June 2011, 19:44   #3756
BHPian

Quote:
As per discussions i had with the erstwhile car owner:

This car belongs to one Mr Satyanarayana.
I was tracking this car around a year ago, and I was told a rather different story regarding the car's history by my regular agent, who had earlier attempted to acquire it for a collector up north. I was told that the ownership of the car is under dispute. One of the concerned parties wants to sell the car while the other hopes to restore it, but only after the court's verdict. Since none of the owners are willing to spend on the car's restoration, she stands as she is today.

Quote:
Over the years the helpless car owner had no other option but to leave the car to rot as he had too many business commitments and the mechanic was not willing to take the car.
My personal opinion is that if the owner was too busy to get the car restored (there's no shortage of restorers in Bangalore), and there were no other issues, this car would have changed hands a long time ago.

All I'm saying is, something does not seem right, and if I were you, I'd proceed with caution if you plan to purchase it or offer to restore it. At the very least you could verify that there are no litigation issues before taking things forward. I don't think anyone would want to be the restorer stuck in a court case involving a car under dispute. :-)
Old 11th July 2011, 18:28   #3757
Team-BHP Support

I had clicked this pic from some article but don't recall the source. Apparently these are rusting in some maharajas collection:

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-picture-157-large.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-picture-158-large.jpg  

Old 11th July 2011, 19:54   #3758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I had clicked this pic from some article but don't recall the source. Apparently these are rusting in some maharajas collection:

Attachment 575790
The one to the right, with the back portion visible is a Dodge Power Wagon (4 x4) WM 300 of the early 1940's.The later ones had split windscreens.These were imported for use by the Indian Army and were in use till the 1960's.Many of these found their way for civilian use too.In fact, there were many imported for civilian use too.
The truck to the left is also a 1940's Dodge VK 3 ton truck. These were also quite common in the old days as haulers in our country.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 13:00   #3759
Senior - BHPian

Theone on the right with the DLD plate actually looks like some kind o people carrier conversion on an early Ford / Willys Jeep
Old 12th July 2011, 21:49   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Saw this unknown car in Mahim by lane behind ,earlier Badal Cinema,
Front was totally dismantalled , I could not take photos as some very agressive loking guys were around,.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-photo0001.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-photo0143.jpg  

IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 22:21   #3761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Saw this unknown car in Mahim by lane behind ,earlier Badal Cinema,
Front was totally dismantalled , I could not take photos as some very agressive loking guys were around,.
Iqbalji, firstly a big thanks. It is a Hindusthan 10, based on the Morris 10. This car was common during the old days, but these have suddenly become very rare. Lets hope it is restored well to a Concourse and roadworthy condition.
In fact, I have created a separate thread for the Hindusthan 10, out of concern for the car. The contemporary Morris 8's and Austin 8/10's are better survivors than their competitor, the Hindusthan 10.The link is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...very-rare.html
I believe HM was "Hindusthan Motors" and the car was a Hindusthan 10 , but by the time the Morris MO Series (sometime in 1949) came along, it was the Hindustan 14 viz. the "h" between "t" and "a" went away.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th July 2011 at 22:48.
Old 12th July 2011, 22:25   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Iqbalji, firstly a big thanks. It is a Hindusthan 10, based on the Morris 10. This car was common during the old days, but suddenly have become very rare. Lets hope it is restored well to be concours and roadworthy.
In fact, I have created a separate thread for the Hindusthan 10 out of concern, for the car. Morris 8 and Austin 8/10 are better survivors than their competitor, the Hindusthan 10.
In that case Anjan Ji, I will make second visit sometimes and try to click more photos,by taking those guys into confidence and as it is a saying "CHANE KE JHAAD PE CHADHANA" But I could see that front of the car was in total mess.
Old 12th July 2011, 22:34   #3763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
In that case Anjan Ji, I will make second visit sometimes and try to click more photos,by taking those guys into confidence and as it is a saying "CHANE KE JHAAD PE CHADHANA" But I could see that front of the car was in total mess.
Please do so Sirji. It would be great to have more pictures of the car as it is.
Old 12th July 2011, 23:17   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Hey I've seen this car very often- it's in a garage, very close to my home. Somehow always mistook it for a Morris Eight Thanks for pointing out, Anjan.
Old 19th July 2011, 00:00   #3765
Senior - BHPian

Found this video on You Tube thought it deserves a place here.

chanu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks