Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2011, 23:53   #3796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

A couple of relics I spotted today- one of which I've often seen. I'd posted a distant pic. of this Standard 20 van here some time ago:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2257930

Finally got to see it up close today, and I was disappointed- was worse than it appeared from a distance! It's had it, this one!
I was told it belonged to the Air-Force and was brought to this garage to be done up, years ago, but eventually abandoned here maybe due to lack of spares. 'couldnt see the interior with all the junk crammed into it but I doubt anything is intact even there.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_9282.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_9281.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_9280.jpg

And in a smaller garage next to it lies this Ponton, barricaded in and also sinking into the ground amid all kinds of junk but not as hidden from view nor gone as bad! Car appears restorable. I was told it's fitted with a Matador Diesel engine. No other details.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_9287.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_9288.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-ponjunk.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 00:56   #3797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
While on a drive Saw This Pontiac at bandra at the back side of bandstand.
It looked like a bollywood had tortured it or restoration project abandoned, Could someone identify as to which pontiac is this ?
Also standing opposite to this pontiac is a W124 RUSTED TO DEATH. With rust holes all over and covered with plastic, No pics of 124 though.
This is a Pontiac Tempest (source - Pontiac Tempest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Looks like it wasnt originally a convertible.
Old 7th August 2011, 09:23   #3798
BHPian

[quote=V-16;2456636]Good to see you back Chauhan.

It's good to be back Gogi bhai. Thank you .

Veerji Saheb , Harit has covered nearly all the reasons for these cars lying dysfunctional & dead.

The car may still registered in the names of persons long deceased and all the successors to the estate claim a share , thus , the actual ownership cannot be decided upon . I have bought a vehicle where the sale proceeds were divided between 27 sellers , some of whom were staying in locations quite far from the location of the vehicle , in case of the Morris , I would pay a maximum of Rs 50,000 thus the actual money each seller receives may not be worth his while to come from Mumbai to ( say ) Lucknow just for the car sale.

Feuds - I had earlier posted a photograph of a 1923 Chevrolet parked in a Dharamshala which had been illegally occupied a team of milkmen with all their occupational paraphernelia . The owner sold the car at quite a reasonable price but the illegal encroachers with armed intervention did not permit the cars to be removed .

I have bought a Ford Model Y for the price of a working Premier Padmini as the owner wanted to retain possession of the space on the footpath where he had parked his car 40 years back.

Then there are cars with no owners ( lawaris ) - a Ford Custom dumped in the Lucknow Nagar Nigam dump and the other 1947 Ford V 8 ( reputedly belonging to Natwarlal the thug ) rotting away in Lucknow city or the Fiat 500A and a Morris 8 in Lucknow garages for whom the owners have not returned in the last 30 years.

Finally as they say " jo dikhta hai , woh bikta hai " so maybe now that these cars have been seen somebody else will go looking for them , the big question is how much time one wants to spend convincing a recalcitrant owner / keeper who has an inflated opinion about his possesions to part with say a Morris or a Hillman when these cars are still available at a reasonable price.

A clarification : The Not for Sale notice I had put up in my previous post implies - Not for Sale through me . If somebody else wants to try - it's a free world.
The photographs were taken in the Allahabad - Varanasi ( Benaras ) areas.

Regards
Chauhan
Old 7th August 2011, 10:41   #3799

The mini on the previous page is very very interesting. They are very easy cars to work on anyways. Any more details on that??
Old 7th August 2011, 20:00   #3800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A couple of relics I spotted today- one of which I've often seen. I'd posted a distant pic. of this Standard 20 van here some time ago:
=======

Attachment 589164

Hi Shyam
I thought of not taking the chance again, and I thought let me be very sure of contacting you so here I am posting a reply to you, I gad a tough time writing a reply to you but anyways, thanks to Nikhil fellow team-bhpian I was able to post a reply.
Shyam Where in hyderabad (Guess in Sec-bad Garage but WHERE?)was this Tri Star hidden? Perhaps if you are not buying this one then feel free to share the details I would love to have this type of Mercedes.

Regards

Muzzammil Khan
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-teambhp.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th August 2011 at 20:16. Reason: Removing [Font] tag, avoid copy pasting from external font editor. Also do a Preview before posting. Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 21:15   #3801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaan_urs View Post
Hi Shyam
Where in hyderabad (Guess in Sec-bad Garage but WHERE?)was this Tri Star hidden? Perhaps if you are not buying this one then feel free to share the details I would love to have this type of Mercedes.
Sure, its at Karkhana main road, on the way to Karkhana PS, on the left side. Opposite is a temple 'kamaan'. You cant see this car from the main road itself, but you can see the garage next to it with the junking standard 20 van (a Goods carrier denting/painting workshop) Its at a lower level to the road. As you walk down there, see to your left and you'll find a junked Amby bodyshell. Right next to it you'll find this car.
Good Luck!
Old 7th August 2011, 23:43   #3802
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of relics I spotted today- one of whichI've often seen. I'd posted a distant pic. of this Standard 20 van here some time ago:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2257930

Finally got to see it up close today, and I was disappointed- was worse than it appeared from a distance! It's had it, this one!
I was told it belonged to the Air-Force and was brought to this garage to be done up, years ago, but eventually abandoned here maybe due to lack of spares. 'couldnt see the interior with all the junk crammed into it but I doubt anything is intact even there.

The STD20 seems like an ex INDIAN AIRLINES vehicle.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 11th August 2011 at 16:13. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 8th August 2011, 00:02   #3803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
The STD20 seems like an ex INDIAN AIRLINES vehicle.
Aah, so maybe thats what he meant and said Air-Force instead- probably confusing the (old) AIRPORT with the AIR FORCE STATION, both being at the same location (Begumpet!)
Old 8th August 2011, 05:07   #3804
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, its at Karkhana main road, on the way to Karkhana PS, on the left side. Opposite is a temple 'kamaan'. You cant see this car from the main road itself, but you can see the garage next to it with the junking standard 20 van (a Goods carrier denting/painting workshop) Its at a lower level to the road. As you walk down there, see to your left and you'll find a junked Amby bodyshell. Right next to it you'll find this car.
Good Luck!
Thanks Shyam,
I will definitely make a point to go there and procure this one, I wanted to have this kind of Merc for a very long time.
Muzzammil
Old 8th August 2011, 09:28   #3805
BHPian

A Chevrolet available for Rs 3,25,000/ - so presumably it will rust in pieces

A DeSoto locked away , the size of trees an indication how long the garage has been not visited by the owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dscn1496.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dscn1501.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dscn1505.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-desoto.jpg  

Old 8th August 2011, 12:17   #3806
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! and I would really say the last bunch and this bunch of snaps would make a great pictorial calendar for all of us of unrestored and disintegrated classics.

Superb and keep them coming

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
A Chevrolet available for Rs 3,25,000/ - so presumably it will rust in pieces

A DeSoto locked away , the size of trees an indication how long the garage has been not visited by the owner.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:35   #3807
BHPian

Hi Kasli,

Please can you find out if this morris for sale.
Looks pretty decent condition to take up as a project

Thanks in Advance,
Saleem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Spotted this Morris Minor 2 door and very sad to see this car in this condition.

Cheers

Last edited by beetle_boy : 11th August 2011 at 14:45.
Old 19th August 2011, 19:38   #3808
Distinguished - BHPian

Half a dozen Mahindra CJ500D jeeps and one third of a dozen Ambassadors rotting! Evidently their time has run out!
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc07893.jpg
Old 19th August 2011, 20:18   #3809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Half a dozen Mahindra CJ500D jeeps and one third of a dozen Ambassadors rotting! Evidently their time has run out!
I presume they are all Govt. vehicles?
Old 19th August 2011, 21:05   #3810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Attachment 596135
A similar situation exists at a place in Shivajinagar, Pune, where many retired police jeeps & gypsy's are waiting for their eventual death..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks