Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2015, 11:38   #4846
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
This thread is spellbinding & riveting ! ..............We would often see a dilapidated fabric-top Hispano-Suiza H6B hooting around the Chowk roundabout in Lucknow in the mid-to-late sixties. It was said to belong to one of the erstwhile nobles now come upon hard times. It too was one of the examples which we later saw having been put out to grass. And was also one of the earliest to have been "towed away" later.
This is the Lucknow Hispano Suize, living in Delhi in the Choudhurie collection. In Lucknow she was known as the "Kelewalla ki Gadi". India's oldest Hispano, I guess.
This photo appeared on another thread, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...s-india-7.html post no 94. This photo was taken at Sundernagar where I had also seen her along with several other cars from the collection. Now these cars don't come out, some of their cars are Cartier car of the show material.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-hisso.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 12:05   #4847
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is the Lucknow Hispano Suize, living in Delhi in the Choudhurie collection. In Lucknow she was known as the "Kelewalla ki Gadi". India's oldest Hispano, I guess.
This photo appeared on another thread, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...s-india-7.html post no 94. This photo was taken at Sundernagar where I had also seen her along with several other cars from the collection. Now these cars don't come out, some of their cars are Cartier car of the show material.

Cheers harit
Hello Harit,
Many thanks for the splendid photograph of this gorgeous creature! It does wonders for my normally pessimistic outlook to know that at least one of the
boyhood memories has had such a fabulous resuscitation! And on the same topic, I wonder how many Hispano's of the era (uptil Sep. 1939) survive in private collections in India?
Thanks once again,
Shashanka
Old 20th July 2015, 03:31   #4848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Harit,
Many thanks for the splendid photograph of this gorgeous creature! It does wonders for my normally pessimistic outlook to know that at least one of the
boyhood memories has had such a fabulous resuscitation! And on the same topic, I wonder how many Hispano's of the era (uptil Sep. 1939) survive in private collections in India?
Thanks once again,
Shashanka
There are a few Hispano Suiza of the pre-WW II vintage still in India.

USJ-2522, the Lucknow Kelawalla car is ex-Nanpara State (bodied by Million-Guiet).

Other H6 cars still in India include the Mysore car (now G.D.Naidu); the ex-Alwar cars (at Alwar and Bhogilal collections); the ex-Jaisalmer car; and potentially an ex-Kapurthala car.

Known exported survivors are the Alwar H6B Boulogne; and the Rajkot and Indore J12's.

Last edited by travancore : 20th July 2015 at 03:35.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 08:38   #4849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

USJ-2522, the Lucknow Kelawalla car is ex-Nanpara State (bodied by Million-Guiet).

Other H6 cars still in India include the Mysore car (now G.D.Naidu); the ex-Alwar cars (at Alwar and Bhogilal collections); the ex-Jaisalmer car; and potentially an ex-Kapurthala car.

Known exported survivors are the Alwar H6B Boulogne; and the Rajkot and Indore J12's.

Is Jaisalmer car the Mallya Car. Kapurthala is still in their ownership ?

Cheers
Old 20th July 2015, 08:54   #4850
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

Much obliged travancore. It is nice to know that out of the several that you have mentioned above, only two managed to wriggle out of India!
That the rest have had a decent rejuvenation/restoration is another nail in the coffin of the cynics and sceptics (mostly overseas) who have long held that India lacks the resources or the craftsmen to do a decent job.
Old 1st August 2015, 02:32   #4851
BHPian

I saw this one in Vasant Kunj over a year ago, there are quite a few rusting vehicles, clearly abandoned for ages.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3283.jpg
Kumar R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 19:02   #4852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
I saw this one in Vasant Kunj over a year ago, there are quite a few rusting vehicles, clearly abandoned for ages.
Unable to identify the car in question.

Quite likely- it is rear engined. Note the absolute lack of any ventilation grilles in the front.

A VW Fastback, perchance? I'm not very sure on this one.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 1st August 2015 at 19:28.
Old 1st August 2015, 19:23   #4853
Senior - BHPian

that car is a VW 1600 TL fastback
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-vw5a.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 1st August 2015 at 19:26.
vinay kamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 20:02   #4854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

Quite likely- it is rear engined. Note the absolute lack of any ventilation grilles in the front.

Haha, wonderful observation, yes it seems to be a VW Type 3 with jugaad front bumper; I was uncertain about the make also and did not want to embarrass myself with a bad guess.

Old 1st August 2015, 22:06   #4855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
that car is a VW 1600 TL fastback
If its a station wagon, then tis a Variant, not a fastback.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 23:33   #4856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Haha, wonderful observation, yes it seems to be a VW Type 3 with jugaad front bumper; I was uncertain about the make also and did not want to embarrass myself with a bad guess.
It's an American version, so the bumpers are all correct. The indicators are wrong...taken from an amby. See the hole on the side, that's where the lights extend to.
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:42   #4857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
It's an American version, so the bumpers are all correct. The indicators are wrong...taken from an amby. See the hole on the side, that's where the lights extend to.
Thanks. it seemed to me that the bumper was an aluminum replacement; I notice it has not rusted a bit yet does not have the shine or texture of the steel plated bumpers characteristic of these cars.
Old 10th August 2015, 12:09   #4858
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this Dodge Kingsway, Chevrolet Chevelle and Mercedes W115 lying in a garage near Pimpri. Not for sale though.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181644395_hdr.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181653666.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181700847.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181706570_hdr.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181715921_hdr.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181727479.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181845330_hdr.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181854532.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181902214_hdr.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150724_181915296_hdr.jpg  

//M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 00:01   #4859
Senior - BHPian

Standard 2000 almost dead
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150812_135759_hdr.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_20150812_135810_hdr.jpg  

amit V8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 19:47   #4860
BHPian

Heartbreaking! The Mustang apparently is in Mumbai. Any info?
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-rsz_screenshot_50.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-rsz_screenshot_51.jpg  

Impala59 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks