Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 17:53   #1876
BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Prabal, Is the donor Cobra in question resident in Delhi/Noida area ? Recently some one was looking around for a Ford V8 + Drive Train
Hi Ram, I'm afraid I'm not aware of a Cobra in Delhi/Noida/NCR, donor of this engine or otherwise. I'm only in the know of a GT40 replica, that occasionally comes out spitting venomous fumes, and then retreats coughing!
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:37   #1877
Distinguished - BHPian

A heavily accessorised Dodge Kingsway is seen here.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-03.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balajim...ar/7025898807/
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 21:26   #1878
Distinguished - BHPian

Found another picture of Mohammed Rafi on FB with Mrs, perhaps on a relaxing drive by the seaside.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-mohdrafifly.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 03:13   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Found another picture of Mohammed Rafi on FB with Mrs, perhaps on a relaxing drive by the seaside.
Rafi saheb astride 1961 Chevrolet Impala 4 door hardtop left hand drive .

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Loaded with ugly and useless accessories like this perfectly good Dodge, a car decked up like this would be called a pimp car. Only item lacking is
exhaust pipes sticking out on the side , bull horns on the hood and fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror ! Remember a Caddy convertible in one of the Dirty Harry movies ?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote,
click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the
Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th May 2013 at 09:20. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 5th May 2013, 10:05   #1880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

Attachment 1080690
Anjan da i think he had this car for some time. When rafi sahab was building his bungalow in bandra in the early seventies my father then a young architect was deputed by his boss on the site for training. My dad remembers him as a very jolly man with a big heart. He was always eating and feeding all the young architects at his place. This is one of the cars my dad remembers seeing.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 07:23   #1881
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I understand that this one owner 1964 Buick Riviera, owned by a doctor in North-Karnataka has been sold on to Bangalore. The dry weather has ensured that the car is in relatively good shape thought it has not been run for around 10 years. Being a 2 door car it is very collectible. The interiors look fantastic.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-buick-1.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-buick-2.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-buick-3.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-buick-4.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-buick-5.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-buick-6.jpg

Thanks to Ajay99 for all the updates on this car. I am happy she remains in Karnataka

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 14:09   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Is she still preserved ?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I understand that this one owner 1964 Buick Riviera, owned by a doctor in North-Karnataka has been sold on to Bangalore. The dry weather has ensured that the car is in relatively good shape thought it has not been run for around 10 years. Being a 2 door car it is very collectible. The interiors look fantastic.

Attachment 1081222

Attachment 1081223

Attachment 1081224

Attachment 1081225

Attachment 1081226

Attachment 1081227

Thanks to Ajay99 for all the updates on this car. I am happy she remains in Karnataka

Cheers

KPS
Old 6th May 2013, 20:38   #1883
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Is she still preserved ?

Cheers
5000 genuine miles on the ODO.

7 litre V8, One of the BIGGEST Engines i have ever heard about.

That should answer all your doubts.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 6th May 2013 at 20:51.
Old 6th May 2013, 20:40   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

5000 genuine miles on the ODO.

That should answer all your doubts.
The black car featured lately on my friends FB . Shall check if its the same. Bears a V8 or straight 6
Old 6th May 2013, 22:41   #1885
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The black car featured lately on my friends FB . Shall check if its the same. Bears a V8 or straight 6
Its a 7 litre , V8 with 5756 Genuine miles on the odo with Rev counter, and Air-conditioning. Presently the car is STOCK and will remain so.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img20130504wa0002.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img20130504wa0003.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 12:44   #1886
Senior - BHPian

If my info is correct it is not single owner car .This car was bought by the present doctor owner about 24 years ago.The car has not been used for around 10 years now.
Old 7th May 2013, 13:11   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A heavily accessorised Dodge Kingsway is seen here. ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/balajim...ar/7025898807/
One accessory they missed out on is a venetian blind over the front screen

Quote:
I understand that this one owner 1964 Buick Riviera,.....Thanks to Ajay99 for all the updates on this car. I am happy she remains in Karnataka Cheers KPS
These Riviera's are highly collectable having been produced in limited numbers. They are 2-door coupes again a feature for collectable cars. The engine was powerful, but no one speaks of them as muscle cars. That surprised me a bit because it has the requirements to be one.
In Mumbai there used to be a light blue car which has disappeared. I believe that there is one in Indore too, maroon colour. This is a car I have not known of. Very nice and hope the guy gives it a spruce up and keep maximum as original as possible.
This car is very likely to be a STC car, in those days very rarely did someone import such cars except for Diplomats. People who imported cars had a tendancy to import Chevy's, Fords or Mercedes cars. Odd cars were really rare.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 20:42   #1888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1079948

With the huge assortment of the wanted/unwanted accessories here on the Kingsway, I am reminded of a joke.

Jaani Raaj Kumar bumped into Bappida at a filmy party. He saw the huge complement of jewellery and necklaces spread out right from the roly-poly composer's neck, down to his upper breast.

The witty Raaj Kumar quipped: "Jaani, is mein bus ek mangalsutra ki kami hain".
Old 8th May 2013, 12:29   #1889
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers

KPS
On close look, photo no 5 shows a modification which means some problem was encountered in the electrical system. You see , next to the speedometer a round amp meter, which is not stock . This meter is from An India made Jeep like vehicle and not a GM product, certainly not a top of the line Buick. A round analog clock is supposed to be be here. The alternator/charging indicator is located in the next large circular display which also houses the temp gauge, oil pressure and a few idiot lights. What happened to the clock ? May be there are other issues too. The upholstery will need to be refurbished as there is wear & tear on the seats. This car has AC, power steering , power brakes, power windows and , of course, a three speed automatic transmission with a console shifter. The 401 cubic inch motors has a four barrel carb. After ten years of standing still, a lot of work needs to be done. The oiled has to be changed, the trannie fluid and filter drained and replaced, the gas tanks drained and flush as also the coolent. Only after these basic concerns have been addressed should and attempt to start be made
Old 8th May 2013, 13:39   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
On close look, photo no 5 shows a modification which means some problem was encountered in the electrical system. You see, next to the speedometer a round amp meter, which is not stock. This meter is from An India made Jeep like vehicle and not a GM product, certainly not a top of the line Buick. A round analog clock is supposed to be be here.
Over the years a surprising majority of older cars are retrofitted with an auxiliary ammeter, usually from Yenkay or VDO, and more recently pricol. I guess batteries used to be much less reliable, as were the dynamos (I have since retrofitted alternators in most of my cars for peace of mind). The Buick I guess by this time may have an alternator from new.

Unfortunately most of the time to fit these guages there is a hole cut in the dash.

I must say, the more I look at the Buick the more I'm falling for it. Very simple yet purposeful lines. I recently saw under restoration a huge Oldsmobile 98 with similar lines, though a 4 door sedan. In similar condition too.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 8th May 2013 at 13:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks