Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 07:29   #1966
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Some contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Hi,
Something new to chew on . Spotted in Delhi a while back. Cant say if it has been posted before.
Restored by the famous Noida Garage as the emblem proclaims.
Wbd8779
What car is this? This should be a 1920's car considering the artillery wheels and stepney being only the tyre and tube. The sloping bonnet is very distinct

Cheers

KPS
Old 21st June 2013, 10:59   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

What car is this? This should be a 1920's car considering the artillery wheels and stepney being only the tyre and tube. The sloping bonnet is very distinct

Cheers

KPS
It's entered at the statesman rally as a 1909 Willy's Overland
Old 21st June 2013, 11:13   #1968
BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivraj88 View Post
It's entered at the statesman rally as a 1909 Willy's Overland
That claimed vintage was the cause of much amusement, and discussion at the event in 2012, and the car also bagged a prize by dint of it's age thereby, if I'm not recollecting wrongly. I think it was 'corrected' to a more 'believable' vintage at the 2013 event. I may have got the sequences wrong (although I'm reasonably sure that I haven't) but there certainly was a lot of tattle around it.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:17   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
That claimed vintage was the cause of much amusement, and discussion at the event in 2012, and the car also bagged a prize by dint of it's age thereby, if I'm not recollecting wrongly. I think it was 'corrected' to a more 'believable' vintage at the 2013 event. I may have got the sequences wrong (although I'm reasonably sure that I haven't) but there certainly was a lot of tattle around it.

I'm pretty sure you've got the sequence correct. I remember the chatter about it in 2012. Wasn't aware of the revised year in 2013!!
Old 21st June 2013, 20:14   #1970
BANNED

A Nice 1947 Wolsley, neatly stored in a closed parking for a long time, Water logging has screwed up the mechanicals a wee little bit, But now the car is at BUGSTOP ( with me ) I shall be attending to all the mechanicals, a little bit cosmetically too and deliver it back in the next few days .
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc01508.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc01510.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:13   #1971
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Chevrolets :
I guess this Chevy must be the same car now in Jaipur - appears to be in original finishes. I'm glad the new owner retained it as is, there are enough well restored 52 Chevys, but I have only seen 1 other in perfect original preservation.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-5220chevy205.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-52.jpg
Old 22nd June 2013, 20:50   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

I guess this Chevy must be the same car now in Jaipur - appears to be in original finishes. I'm glad the new owner retained it as is, there are enough well restored 52 Chevys, but I have only seen 1 other in perfect original preservation.
Car is in delhi and was driven down for the event fairly original

Cheers
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 10:10   #1973
BHPian

Re: Some contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Hi,

Something new to chew on . Spotted in Delhi a while back. Cant say if it has been posted before.

Restored by the famous Noida Garage as the emblem proclaims.

Wbd8779
Didn't realise that the marque was a Willys Overland as pointed out in a few post earlier. Doesn't look all complete and the pinstripes on the doors are...well...out of place in my opinion.

Last edited by mbz180 : 24th June 2013 at 10:12.
Old 24th June 2013, 21:30   #1974
BHPian

Saw this car in a Saree store in Chennai. Not sure what car it is though.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1.jpg  

BraveArc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 09:48   #1975
BHPian

I love this vintage section and all its lovely threads. Pure nostalgia.
I have always had these couple of queries. Experts, pls shed light.

1. When the 'phoren' cars were imported/bought by the very rich in India, where did they get them serviced/repaired? Surely there were no authorised A.S.S. etc those days of the european/american/german manufacturers? And surely the owners would not have entrusted their ultra expensive toys to street corner repair walas.

2. Were indian mechanics/automobile technicians during those days sent abroad for training to handle imported cars in India by their respective manufacturers? How did indian technicians learn how to handle the imported cars during those early days?

Thanks for these lovely threads again. My eyes are glued to them.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:39   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
I love this vintage section and all its lovely threads. Pure nostalgia.
I have always had these couple of queries.........
Generally Automobiles were brought in, first maybe the rich like Maharajas, Business people, etc. but also the administration, viceroy, govt. servants, utilities, docks, hire transport etc. So companies set up infrastructure, dealers, service stations etc. They gradually established a dealer network. European Rolls, Czech Skoda had dealers, American General Motors, Ford had assembly, and some like Nash had a dealership, German Mercedes-Benz, Adler, DKW had dealers. And they trained personel to do service, some had ex-pat foremen. And the very rich like Maharajas got Rolls to send mechanics to their place.
Indian went abroead to train, foreign nationals came here and gave training.

We had this situation when Maruti was introduced. In 1985 hardly any road side mechanic could repair a Maruti, today hardly any roadside mechanic can repair a Fiat or Amby. Its basically a demand for a service that generates availability of personel able to offer such required services.

When the first cars came in there may have been difficulties, but as numbers rose infrastructure became available.
If you read all the threads including Automobilia, Nostalgic, Manuals etc. you will always find some reference to the automotive service industry of old.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 12:32   #1977
BHPian

Thanks harit for the response.
It will be very interesting to know which manufacturer had the most drive to corner most of the early clientele of the 'orient', something akin to what Audi is doing nowadays among the nouveau-riche.
Old 25th June 2013, 17:01   #1978
BHPian

At a garage in Lucknow
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-fossil.jpg  

Last edited by vintageman : 25th June 2013 at 17:08.
vintageman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 06:20   #1979
BHPian

Opposite to the Bapuji Nagar (Big Bazar) bus stand, Bangalore, there is an Indian Oil petrol pump. The owner is a very rich guy and now he is so happy with himself that he has stopped selling the petrol. Now, a petrol-head that he is, he has dumped that place with all antique cars. I saw a very old Lodge car which he will never sell. Then, there was some Toyota white color hatchback diesel car in a pristine condition. He is ready to sell most of those vintage cars, but at his price only. Please give a visit, completely worth of it. Sorry, I did not have the camera, and neither the art of knowing the old car names. Apologies if this matter has been posted earlier.
Old 29th June 2013, 17:10   #1980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
I saw a very old Lodge car which he will never sell.
I guess you meant DODGE- Dodge Kingsway, a very popular car of the 50s, part of the DPDC (Dodge Plymouth Desoto Chrysler) family:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks