Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 07:36   #2086
BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Austin 7 and Willys CJ3A. The first photo shows the condition the Austin was brought home.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-p1010141-1024-x-768.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-5536-1200-x-750.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-christmas-2010-258-3-1204-x-903.jpg  

YakubKC is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 15:35   #2087
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this website of a travel company based in Udaipur, RJ, that rents out classics, presumably for tourists:

http://www.sarthitravels.com/rent-vintage-car.html

Incidentally I noticed the fleetmaster in thier fleet has a "Heritage Taxi Permit" mentioned on the numberplate (which is a yellow plate.)

Pardon my ignorance but is there such a permit in India?

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-fleetudai.jpg

Pic. credit: olx.in
Stanher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 21:15   #2088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Incidentally I noticed the fleetmaster in thier fleet has a "Heritage Taxi Permit" mentioned on the numberplate (which is a yellow plate.)

Attachment 1152554

government of Rajasthan introduced the heritage taxi permit to promote vintage and classic cars in Rajasthan , I will find the link and update, can't find it right now,

Kartik
KartikeyaL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 10:07   #2089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Attachment 1152554

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
government of Rajasthan introduced the heritage taxi permit to promote vintage and classic cars in Rajasthan , I will find the link and update, can't find it right now,

Kartik

Did not find the official notification, but here is the news about the same appearing in Indian Express, June 2000.

Find it here :
http://expressindia.indianexpress.co.../ina07057.html

regards
Kartik
Old 20th October 2013, 13:11   #2090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Here are some nice pics of the car for you sir.
The first pic was taken when the car was at the owner's place.
In Haveri. I have been there and seen the car. Also spoken with the doc. There was a twin to this car in My place and both cars were brought in at the same time. And incidentally that person is also a doctor well known to The owner of this car and incidentally now is also my Uncle as my sis married his son But they donated the car to some Ashram in the early 90s as that seemed to be the Fad then.

Last edited by Micki9559 : 20th October 2013 at 13:25.
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:37   #2091
BHPian

A slideshow of vintage cars from ranchi
http://www.bhaskar.com/article/c-181-1007611-NOR.html
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 21:33   #2092
BHPian

X-Machine, senior BHPian. Photo submitted 3 October 2004, which is identified as # 3 in the series of photos of a black four door convertible Buick Roadmaster, bearing license BYF 4854, is that of a 1939 series 80. Equipped with 320 cubic inch in-line OHV eight cylinder 141 horsepower engine (Fireball-8). In contrast, the 1935 had a completely different body style and narrow vertical grill. One similarity is the 320 I8 engine. In 1941 a multi-carburetor engine producing 165 horsepower, was introduced. The 1941 Century has become highly collectible in the USA. Interesting that the 1952 Roadmaster still had the I8 engine and increased horsepower came from the 320 cubic inches using Carter WCF four-barrel carburetor. For the reader's convenience, I would suggest you include this website; http://www.hubcapcafe.com. The most extensive photo gallery of American made automobiles I know of.
noonrock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 12:20   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonrock View Post
X-Machine, senior BHPian. Photo submitted 3 October 2004, which is identified as # 3 in the series of photos of a black four door convertible Buick Roadmaster, bearing license BYF 4854, is that of a 1939 series 80. Equipped with 320 cubic inch in-line OHV eight cylinder 141 horsepower engine (Fireball-8). In contrast, the 1935 had a completely different body style and narrow vertical grill. One similarity is the 320 I8 engine. In 1941 a multi-carburetor engine producing 165 horsepower, was introduced. The 1941 Century has become highly collectible in the USA. Interesting that the 1952 Roadmaster still had the I8 engine and increased horsepower came from the 320 cubic inches using Carter WCF four-barrel carburetor. For the reader's convenience, I would suggest you include this website; http://www.hubcapcafe.com. The most extensive photo gallery of American made automobiles I know of.

Thanks for that!

Anyways did the 1939 Buick Series 80 also come with a Carter Carburettor?
Most of the American cars of that era did, namely Packards.

Cheers!
Fintail/Heckflosse!
Old 28th October 2013, 22:08   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Thanks for that!

Anyways did the 1939 Buick Series 80 also come with a Carter Carburettor?
Most of the American cars of that era did, namely Packards.

Cheers!
Fintail/Heckflosse!
a

Greetings; You pose a most interesting question, Fintail. In 1939, GM was in the process of expanding the new division of Delco Remy and included the Rochester carburetor as part of that expansion. The 1939 would still have used the Carter on Buicks, for example, the 1941 Series 60 Century used a Carter as the primary carburetor but used a Stromberg as the secondary, which kicked in under heavy demand. By the 1950's Rochester was use in virtually all GM products, and, I stand corrected in my earlier post. In reviewing my old service station manuals, I notice the 1952 Buick Roadmaster was equipped with a Rochester four-barrel, not a Carter. These were my teenage years and I worked in service stations until graduating from the University in the mid sixties. Always a car nut, I love the precision and passion shown in the BHP blogs and pics. Thanks for your interest.
noonrock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 08:01   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a

Greetings; You pose a most interesting question, Fintail. In 1939, GM was in the process of expanding the new division of Delco Remy and included the Rochester carburetor as part of that expansion. The 1939 would still have used the Carter on Buicks, for example, the 1941 Series 60 Century used a Carter as the primary carburetor but used a Stromberg as the secondary, which kicked in under heavy demand. By the 1950's Rochester was use in virtually all GM products, and, I stand corrected in my earlier post. In reviewing my old service station manuals, I notice the 1952 Buick Roadmaster was equipped with a Rochester four-barrel, not a Carter. These were my teenage years and I worked in service stations until graduating from the University in the mid sixties. Always a car nut, I love the precision and passion shown in the BHP blogs and pics. Thanks for your interest.
Could you tell me,
When was the first time Fuel Injection was introduced in General Motors products? I presume it would have been in the early Sixties.

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse

Last edited by karlosdeville : 29th October 2013 at 09:29. Reason: Removing bold text
Old 29th October 2013, 09:30   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Could you tell me,
When was the first time Fuel Injection was introduced in General Motors products? I presume it would have been in the early Sixties.

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse
The first use of fuel injection was with the Rochester Fuel injection which was an option with the 1957 Chevrolet,Corvette and Pontiac Bonneville. It was offered as an option on the Chevrolet and Pontiac until 1959, but Corvette offered it until 1965. It was complicated and difficult to maintain, and was not very popular with buyers. The optional dual quad Rochester setup, or the Pontiac and Oldsmobile, "tri power" setup using three in-line two barrel Rochesters were immediately a success, Chrysler had used dual four barrel Carters on their 300, 300B and 300C (which I owned and sadly sold 50 years ago) and continuing on until the last letter 300. The other brands of Chrysler products, Dodge, Plymouth and DeSoto also had options for dual "quads". Interesting to me is my recollection of a fuel injection system on the 1957 Rambler but I can't recall enough to assist you on it. This has been most exciting having to search my memory for these facts and I thank you most generously for asking me. From the edge of the Mohave Desert I bid you so long.
noonrock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 10:00   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first use of fuel injection was with the Rochester Fuel injection which was an option with the 1957 Chevrolet,Corvette and Pontiac Bonneville. It was offered as an option on the Chevrolet and Pontiac until 1959, but Corvette offered it until 1965. It was complicated and difficult to maintain, and was not very popular with buyers. The optional dual quad Rochester setup, or the Pontiac and Oldsmobile, "tri power" setup using three in-line two barrel Rochesters were immediately a success, Chrysler had used dual four barrel Carters on their 300, 300B and 300C (which I owned and sadly sold 50 years ago) and continuing on until the last letter 300. The other brands of Chrysler products, Dodge, Plymouth and DeSoto also had options for dual "quads". Interesting to me is my recollection of a fuel injection system on the 1957 Rambler but I can't recall enough to assist you on it. This has been most exciting having to search my memory for these facts and I thank you most generously for asking me. From the edge of the Mohave Desert I bid you so long.

Werent the Chrysler 300, 300B, 300C and so in also known as the 'Chrysler Letter Cars' ? And I presume the Rochester Fuel Injection was mechanical in nature i.e it was Mechanical Fuel Injection, unlike the electronic systems today?

Cheers!
Fintail/Heckflosse!
Old 29th October 2013, 10:22   #2098
BHPian

The 300 letter cars went from 1955 (no letter) then B through L (1965). The 300 then became the middle line of their line-up; Newport, 300, and Imperial. You probably know the "M" was reintroduced in 1999 with a 250 HP 3.5 engine. I now own a 2011 300 Limited with a 292 HP 3.7. Rides like the 1957 but gets 30 mpg. And you are correct, the Rochester was mechanical and very unlike the later throttle body injection systems and the more efficient direct injection systems which most use today.
noonrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 14:20   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 300 letter cars went from 1955 (no letter) then B through L (1965). The 300 then became the middle line of their line-up; Newport, 300, and Imperial. You probably know the "M" was reintroduced in 1999 with a 250 HP 3.5 engine. I now own a 2011 300 Limited with a 292 HP 3.7. Rides like the 1957 but gets 30 mpg. And you are correct, the Rochester was mechanical and very unlike the later throttle body injection systems and the more efficient direct injection systems which most use today.
Yes! I am very much aware of the 300M. The production ceased in like what? 2005, was it not? Looked lovely! Powered by a fuel-injected (Obviously!) V6.

Did it come with a manual transmission or an automatic one? Whatever! A great, characterful car!

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 29th October 2013 at 14:21.
Old 30th October 2013, 20:53   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
Yes! I am very much aware of the 300M. The production ceased in like what? 2005, was it not? Looked lovely! Powered by a fuel-injected (Obviously!) V6.

Did it come with a manual transmission or an automatic one? Whatever! A great, characterful car!

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!
I have never heard of one equipped with manual gears. You might want to google "List of Chrysler Transmissions" and looksee the vast array of automatics, as well as manuals, with applications from the '40s to the present. Most entertaining. I know my 2011 300 has the five speed and, had I waited until 2012, the same car would have come equipped with the eight speed ZF auto. Difference? About two MPG. Have not heard of any problems with the eight speed. The five speed was very durable but the 2001 Concorde I owned had electronic shift problems (four speed auto with a 232 HP 3.2 CI engine. Not even in the same league as the 3.5 liter 300 of that same vintage (250 HP). And neither could stand up against the 3.6 292 HP in my present 300. Cheers, Noonrock.
noonrock is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks