Old 16th June 2008, 12:59   #601
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan 14 tail light mounting error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
srisha,
Compare with the pics. of this immaculate 14 so as to tell:
The Tail-lights of APX 6882 have been wrongly mounted.

Classic Cars available for purchase-hindustan14taillightmounterror.jpg

It seems like some tin work was done and while mounting the lenses, they were mounted inverted. Now the tail-lights looked obviously wonky, so the entire bezel with the tail light was inverted and massive rubber/leather gasketing was shimmed in place. But the mounting is still wrong.

Classic Cars available for purchase-hindustan14taillighterror.jpg

It would be good to redo the whole thing correctly this time around.

Here is a pristine Oxford MO (Hindustan 14). The tail light lenses are correctly mounted w.r.t. horizontal and vertical surfaces. And with the right gasket.

Classic Cars available for purchase-pristineh14oxmo.jpg

Ram
Old 16th June 2008, 13:52   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The Tail-lights of APX 6882 have been wrongly mounted.
It seems like some tin work was done and while mounting the lenses, they were mounted inverted. Now the tail-lights looked obviously wonky, so the entire bezel with the tail light was inverted and massive rubber/leather gasketing was shimmed in place. But the mounting is still wrong.Ram
Wow, thanks for pointing out that ram! I never noticed they were fitted upside-down!
Old 16th June 2008, 18:05   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, thanks for pointing out that ram! I never noticed they were fitted upside-down!
Stanher there are cars with the Mercedes star upside down, then this is a very nominal mistake...nominal but deadly. As Ram has pointed out which was a learning in its own (as i was unaware of the lens mounting positions) the lens must be mounted at a right angle. Will keep a lookout on some cars close to my house. There are two I know of...not for sale of course.
Old 16th June 2008, 18:18   #604
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the price of the milli, this is actually the price going on in the market, depending on the originality of the car. I have seen and heard of cars in worse conditions being offered for sale and also being bought for ridiculous prices. Cant say what prices are prevalent today as there is a sudden demand for classics, any classics and more so of the ones which were freely available which no one was bothered about until now.

Last edited by V-16 : 16th June 2008 at 18:22.
Old 17th June 2008, 00:47   #605
Senior - BHPian

What are the tech specs of Hindustan 14???

If those huge fenders and rear wheel arches are removed and put on some cool graphics, i can visualize a hotrod. And may be a conversion to a lowrider as well.
What do you say IRONWOLF???

ZSP zindabad!!!
Old 17th June 2008, 10:05   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
What are the tech specs of Hindustan 14???

If those huge fenders and rear wheel arches are removed and put on some cool graphics, i can visualize a hotrod. And may be a conversion to a lowrider as well.
How bout making ahotrod of one of your Rahul autos?? 'would sure boost up your sales as well!
Old 17th June 2008, 13:03   #607
Senior - BHPian

hindustan 14

Hindustan 14 or MORRIS OXFORD MO was assembled in INDIA from 1948 to 1954 till it was replaced by the LANDMASTER. Actually the last few cars(abt1000 cars) were badged as HINDUSTAN NEW LOOK and had the Landmaster Grille, different meters( depressed dials) ,etc .SO if it is 1954 model it could be the NEWLOOK and sourcing the NEWLOOK meters will be an almost IMPOSSIBLE task!!!.Also does the car have the original 1367 cc Side Valve engine and trafficators/semaphore indicators??
Old 17th June 2008, 14:30   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Hindustan 14 or MORRIS OXFORD MO was assembled in INDIA from 1948 to 1954 till it was replaced by the LANDMASTER. Actually the last few cars(abt1000 cars) were badged as HINDUSTAN NEW LOOK and had the Landmaster Grille, different meters( depressed dials) ,etc .SO if it is 1954 model it could be the NEWLOOK and sourcing the NEWLOOK meters will be an almost IMPOSSIBLE task!!!.Also does the car have the original 1367 cc Side Valve engine and trafficators/semaphore indicators??
The meters in the car are currently of newer model amby, however I have got my hands on the original meters as well, not usre if they are the ones you have mentioned. I will check and post some pic so that you can valudate.

Here are the pics of the engine I took a couple of days back, let me know if they meet the specs you have mentioned,

I am still waiting for the docs to finalize the deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-14062008003.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-14062008.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-14062008002.jpg  

Old 17th June 2008, 16:34   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

This engine looks like an OHV, not side-valve.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:28   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This engine looks like an OHV, not side-valve.
Definitely an OHV engine there. This must be a later model where OHVs were introduced.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:58   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Definitely an OHV engine there. This must be a later model where OHVs were introduced.
Hello,

Was the MO ever offered in India with an OHV engine? I was under the impression that the 14 & Landmaster were only offered with the sidevalve engine. The Ambassador was the first to get the OHV.

Cheers
Old 17th June 2008, 18:26   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Hello,

Was the MO ever offered in India with an OHV engine? I was under the impression that the 14 & Landmaster were only offered with the sidevalve engine. The Ambassador was the first to get the OHV.
Thats what I too had learnt. Which is why the first Amby (mk1) boasted of the O.H.V badges.
Old 17th June 2008, 18:34   #613
Senior - BHPian

From what I remember, the later landmasters (asearly Mk-I Ambis were offered with a side valve engine) were offered with the OHV engine. I remember seeing the LAndmasters with an OHV badge when young. Maybe a badge addon but im positive o fseeing landmasters with ohv badges.
Old 17th June 2008, 18:59   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From what I remember, the later landmasters (asearly Mk-I Ambis were offered with a side valve engine) were offered with the OHV engine. I remember seeing the LAndmasters with an OHV badge when young. Maybe a badge addon but im positive o fseeing landmasters with ohv badges.
Thats strange, its the first time Im hearing of OHV Landmasters. The travellers were offered with the OHV engine, and perhaps people would upgrade back in the day and proudly proclaim it on their cars. Or perhaps a small batch was sold new. Interesting!
Old 17th June 2008, 19:06   #615
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan-14

Quote:
You are thoroughly mistaken V-16,the Hindustan 14's &Landmasters were offered in INDIA with the side valve engines.ONLY . The early mark I Ambassadors upto late 1959 were offered with side valve engine only(1467cc). The 60's ambassador came with the OHV engine.
Also in the 60's itself there was a mad rush to convert the side valve engines to the OHV engines as the sidevalve engine had a problem with the engine head(am not sure),that maybe the reason for the OHV badges(after all it was not a factory fitment!) .
Also the Landmaster WOODY Traveller being an import had only OHV engine( as far as my knowledge goes)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks