Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:11   #676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
She looks like she's in reasonably good nick. Shreeram, I hope you are seeing this.

I have seen it & have started the "process" Thank You.
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:37   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here's what I'm sure is a President (although it has a padmini badge, all the other tell-tale features on it make me sure its a president- still, can anyone confirm?) I saw today at the scrapyard, on my first trip after I got back home today.
The car has already been partially stripped, especially (regretfully!) of its original round indicators and grille!!
BTW, did presidents also have the delight type door handles?
Quite possible that it is a President going by the side indicator, grille (assuming you saw it as original) and meter combination. I can fainlty make out the profile of the original number underneath, could you read it? That would give us a clue towards possible year of manufacture.

If it is being scrapped, fellow member President is desperately looking for neat meter.
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:56   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quite possible that it is a President going by the side indicator, grille (assuming you saw it as original) and meter combination. I can fainlty make out the profile of the original number underneath, could you read it? That would give us a clue towards possible year of manufacture.
Nope I'm afraid I didnt actually see the grille but I've an inkling it was an original one as they normally dont bother taking off padmini grilles...they are just broken off as the car gets dismantled. I suspect the guy has it in his shop.
The original no. from what I could make out was DHC 6108 or something.
Maybe some Delhi bhpians could help us out?

Quote:
If it is being scrapped, fellow member President is desperately looking for neat meter.
I just hope it doesnt get scrapped for now!
Old 2nd July 2008, 22:18   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
BTW, did presidents also have the delight type door handles?
Whats the differnce in any door handle post 64? AS far as I know the Delight, President and Padmini shared the same handles.
Old 2nd July 2008, 22:48   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the differnce in any door handle post 64? AS far as I know the Delight, President and Padmini shared the same handles.
Nope the padmini ones are quite different atleast- in these the button sticks out quite prominently whereas it appears a little depressed in those of the delights- look closely even at the one in these pics. and you'll notice. And of course many delight handles came in aluminium.
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:26   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - please check the original chassis number plate on the bodyshell (Lh side as you open the bonnet). Premier President will be written on it. If it is not there, then also it seems to be the President because of the instrument cluster but the light switches are of delite so it is all a little confusing.

Dear Karl - such meters are available -----

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:59   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - please check the original chassis number plate on the bodyshell (Lh side as you open the bonnet). Premier President will be written on it. If it is not there, then also it seems to be the President because of the instrument cluster but the light switches are of delite so it is all a little confusing.
Thank you for the info. Sir- I forgot to mention btw- I did see under the bonnet and the chassis no. plate is unfortunately missing! It seems to have to been lost quite some time ago as there is no impression in the painted area. But there is still the no. imprinted on the body there.
Anyways, I got a pm from Rony who confirms it is a president only.
'would be a pity if it is broken, in that case!
Old 3rd July 2008, 18:40   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Note: Apologies for the back-to-back post but since I cant edit my previous post now that it is more than 20 minutes old, I have to make another post here.

Well guys, you can take this as either good or bad news, its upto you.

I was out today and told my mech. to call up the scrapguy, asking him to hold on to the president for a day or 2 longer, so worst case scenario we could atleast salvage some parts from it in time.
But, the guy told him that the car has just been sold, bought by someone else!

Well, if that indeed is true, I hope the new buyer knows the value of the car for what it is and keeps it for posterity!
Old 9th July 2008, 21:47   #684
Senior - BHPian

Classics and Vintage required!!

Mods! i know a similar thread exists, but please let me keep this thread separate! As it will be easier for me to track things!
If not please merge it. But i would prefer the first option.
Thanks

Now for the real intent of this thread is that a fren of mine has asked me to track following cars for him. It would be a great help if vintage gurus here could help me in this. They can PM me for the asking price.
Thanks

Car list.
1. Austin healey (I dunno if any exists in India)
2. Mercedes 30s 40s era.
3. MGs
4. Jaguar SK or similar
5. Rolls Royce, any
6. Truimph (not bike)
7. Cadillac 20s, 30s, 40s

It may be in any condition! Images would be helpful
Old 11th July 2008, 14:07   #685
Senior - BHPian

Please go through this thread! It would be a great help

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-required.html
Old 11th July 2008, 14:12   #686
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Please go through this thread! It would be a great help

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-required.html

Sir Alec,

Since there's already a succesfully running thread on T-BHP, i dont see a reason why one more thread being started for individual benefit.Dont get me wrong for saying this.

Alec i feel you should frequent this thread for you requirements. Suren has started such a wonderful and helpful thread, lets move on with this.cheers:
Old 12th July 2008, 17:58   #687
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine has asked me to track following cars for him. It would be a great help if vintage gurus here could help me in this. They can PM me for the asking price.
Thanks

Car list.
2. Mercedes 30s 40s era.
3. MGs
4. Jaguar SK or similar
5. Rolls Royce, any
6. Truimph (not bike)

thanks
Old 13th July 2008, 12:40   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd earlier mentioned a Triumph Herald convertible for sale here. Well, after going over to see it last week with much eagerness........turned out to be a desi 'Standard' Herald afterall! with some Triumph camouflaging that was a bit overdone- yes, thats right, it says MAYFLOWER on the bootlid! Suitable candidate for "wierd and wacky mod jobs?"

But it defnitely is a convertible in the sense not a mass produced one (they never were in India) but one that was made on special order by a local dealer or maybe even the madras factory itself. This is evident from the opening professionally made into the rear end where the soft-top sits, and the shape of the rear seat specifically designed for a convertible!
Ive known only one other such car over here- a white '64 mk1 (APU 4126) which recently also made it for the HAIG rally in Feb. this year.

This kind of job is by and large impossible to execute on a hardtop herald otherwise, which explains the many other conversions with the soft-tops sitting up at the rear as on a cycle rickshaw!
This appears to be an early ('62) mk1, albeit with an early '70s regn. and dash taken from a later (64-65) mk1.
I could get to know where it originally was from if he still has the original RC (old book type, not the new card ones.)
I'm keen on buying this (if none else isnt!) consierding its rarity as a convertible but the price quoted is a bit too high (1.5 lacs!)
'will try quoting something much below that & see....!
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-cabrio.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0831.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0834.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0835.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0837.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-conv1.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 13th July 2008 at 12:43.
Old 13th July 2008, 13:52   #689

Quote:
Jawaharlal Nehru used to have an Austin Healy. It is now in bombay and owned by an elderly parsi gentleman. Well atleast 5 years ago it was..Dont know thte status of it now. Also, I had the opportunity of sitting in the car and biy the engine note sounds amazing..Like mozart...or even better.

@Shyam, What is the difference between the MK1 standard herald and the Triumph Herald?? Also, What is that Corvette styled badge on the rear quatter pannel??

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 13th July 2008 at 13:54.
Old 13th July 2008, 15:26   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine has asked me to track following cars for him. It would be a great help if vintage gurus here could help me in this. They can PM me for the asking price.
Thanks

Car list.
2. Mercedes 30s 40s era.
3. MGs
4. Jaguar SK or similar
5. Rolls Royce, any
6. Truimph (not bike)

thanks
1. Austin healey (I dunno if any exists in India)- yes there is. Was previously owned by a collecter from Bombay but was sold some time ago to someone from Delhi I presume.
2. Mercedes 30s 40s era.- There are a few o rthe 170 Vs and S-es in India. Also a couple of Maybachs-one in the Bhogilal collection and the other in Kolhapur with the Royal family.
3. MGs- Many many- MGBs Midgets etc etc.
4. Jaguar SK or similar- you mean "XK" or an ''SS". Yes Bombay has at least two of the SS and a few XKs
5. Rolls Royce, any
6. Truimph (not bike)- All sorts; TR3s, TR6s, Spitfires, Triumph Heralds, one Vitesse I know, of the two, still surviving, Mayflower, 2000, etc. Not heard of a stag as yet.
7. Cadillac 20s, 30s, 40s- know a few of the 40s and a trio of 30s Caddys.

So the moral of the story is, yes these cars were present and some of them are existing in India and in Bombay. Some were sold to collectors who would not like to be known.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks