Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2008, 22:51   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

Those of you who remember this car:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/855515-post573.html

The good news is that after much trial and tribulations (mostly in getting the payment across through a bank), the car has finally been purchased (and thereby rescued) by......:drumroll: BLUESTRAVELLER!!

Lets give him a big hand!

I'm sure he would love to start a whole thread on the restoration as it progresses later, in the meantime just some eye-candy- first pic. shows my mech. who hand-cleaned the inside of the car today, of all the god-knows-how-many-years of accumulated rubbish, before towing the car home into our building parking lot (from what I'd heard the reactions of the security guys and all the other residents was worth watching!)
'tried to get her a wash at a nearby service station there itself but unfortunately there was no power there then! Still its much cleaner than it was the first day I saw the car because of the recent rains in between!
See, it sure invoked the pity of the rain Gods!

Next pic. of course speaks for itself.

3 of the 4 rims that the car originally came with (although they look just like older Amby ones) have been re-fitted, the remaining one being too rusty to refit.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0762.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0769.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 26th June 2008 at 22:54.
Old 26th June 2008, 23:11   #662

Thank God!! I really hoped that this car would come into the "Family"...
Stanher, Get those dials, Mounting Plate from the Delite if you can.
Old 26th June 2008, 23:22   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Thank God!! I really hoped that this car would come into the "Family"...
Stanher, Get those dials, Mounting Plate from the Delite if you can.
Cy, sigh! Poora gaadi-ich lelo na dikra!
Old 26th June 2008, 23:43   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Cy, sigh! Poora gaadi-ich lelo na dikra!
You know for a fact that i dont mind!!
But i am not coming to HYD to get it!!
Old 27th June 2008, 11:57   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
You know for a fact that i dont mind!!
But i am not coming to HYD to get it!!
You dont have to baba, only your $$ has to come here!

Anyways, Ive also told my neighbour (who did once want to buy a fiat, not that he likes them, he just wants a cheap but reliable car for taking his family out if not daily) bout the delight.
He insisted that the car be brought down and shown to him- yeah right, as if any seller would do that! Sheesh!
I could only show him the pics., he seemed to like it, II told him he can come down to the scrapyard to see it if he insists on it.
He seemed to like the fact that it has a "latest" maruti wheel- maybe good for him, he's rather large! LOL!

I know he isnt exactly a right person as far as classics are concerned, but I'm desperate to clutch any piece of straw I can find, so...! Maybe a year or 2 later when he's felt 'through' with it, I'll hopefully be in a better financial position to buy it from him!

Let's see!

Last edited by Stanher : 27th June 2008 at 12:04.
Old 27th June 2008, 12:11   #666
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Those of you who remember this car:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/855515-post573.html

The good news is that after much trial and tribulations (mostly in getting the payment across through a bank), the car has finally been purchased (and thereby rescued) by......:drumroll: BLUESTRAVELLER!!

Lets give him a big hand!

I'm sure he would love to start a whole thread on the restoration as it progresses later, in the meantime just some eye-candy- first pic. shows my mech. who hand-cleaned the inside of the car today, of all the god-knows-how-many-years of accumulated rubbish, before towing the car home into our building parking lot (from what I'd heard the reactions of the security guys and all the other residents was worth watching!)
'tried to get her a wash at a nearby service station there itself but unfortunately there was no power there then! Still its much cleaner than it was the first day I saw the car because of the recent rains in between!
See, it sure invoked the pity of the rain Gods!

Next pic. of course speaks for itself.

3 of the 4 rims that the car originally came with (although they look just like older Amby ones) have been re-fitted, the remaining one being too rusty to refit.

Congrats on the new buy, This one sure is a very rare piece, and the car is actually intact with all fittings, doesnt look like it'll bother a lot during its restoration process.

Watching this space for updates on this car
Old 28th June 2008, 02:07   #667
BHPian

Yes, finally its my turn to own a classic. Had issues with a DD that didn’t wanna arrive in time and an impatient scrap-walla but everything fell into place quite well. I am still learning about this car and have no clue right now where and how to get it done. For starters I have bought a manual titled, “The classic book of the Vauxhall Wyvern”.

The car has been towed to StanHer’s place and an initial cleanup has been done by his mechanic. I’m hoping to get this car semi restored before I move it to Bengaluru with Stan Her’s help. I shall open a new thread once I know more.

I have no words to thank Shyam, this guy has been so patient and helpful all along the way. He even paid an initial advance to hold this car for someone he doesn’t even know. I’m so thrilled and happy in meeting such a genuine car lover and have to salute his spirits and T-BHP for getting such people together.
Old 28th June 2008, 09:30   #668
BHPian

LHD / RHD conversion on Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
This single qualification should make the car not approachable for a price like this. It should be way cheaper owing to this one deformity. Please note it will be very very difficult, not to mention expensive to re convert it to its original LHD avtar.
Not really. The beetle especially the pre 70's ones are symetrical. So you could just flip over the steering assembly and the LHD conversion is complete. The original RHD conversion was probably effected in the same way. The dashboard inserts/ glove box etc are also flippable. You will find an opening on the LHD side of an RHD for the steering column & vice versa.
Old 28th June 2008, 10:09   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam and new owner of the Vauxhall Wyvren - thanks for saving the car. There used to be a Vauxhall Wyvren in my building where I still stay in Mumbai. It was BMU5679. It was owned by the late Mr.Jimmy Framroze and was always in grey with white top colour. It had a wonderfully loud exhaust note also. Mr.Framroze also had a blue colour Indian Chief motorcycle lying for years in his garage in my building (I never saw the registration number). Not seen for years now. Don't know what happened. Also I have seen not one but two Vauxhall Wyvrens lying in the army area in Dehu Road Pune (Karlos - please sniff around, you take a right just before the small petrol pump as you approach the Dehu Road railway bridge on the old Pune Mumbai road. It is around 4 kms inside). I look forward to the restoration now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th June 2008, 14:15   #670
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Yes pavan, there is a white beetle abandoned in a small gully/garage in bangalore, saw it the last time i came there. I dunno where excatly it is since i'm not that familiar with places in bangy, but will ask my friend for the location and update u guys.

JayD,

I found the white Beetle that you were mentioning, and it is at Indiranagar, standing outside a big house.

Its not abandoned, its been parked outside along with other cars becoz the owner has 4 exotics standing inside his house compound. The poorer car has come to stand out to give company to his Scorpio.

And a little info more that white Beetle belongs to a T-BHP member beetle68.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 28th June 2008 at 14:19.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:43   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam and new owner of the Vauxhall Wyvren - thanks for saving the car. There used to be a Vauxhall Wyvren in my building where I still stay in Mumbai. It was BMU5679. It was owned by the late Mr.Jimmy Framroze and was always in grey with white top colour. It had a wonderfully loud exhaust note also. Mr.Framroze also had a blue colour Indian Chief motorcycle lying for years in his garage in my building (I never saw the registration number). Not seen for years now. Don't know what happened. Also I have seen not one but two Vauxhall Wyvrens lying in the army area in Dehu Road Pune (Karlos - please sniff around, you take a right just before the small petrol pump as you approach the Dehu Road railway bridge on the old Pune Mumbai road. It is around 4 kms inside). I look forward to the restoration now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank You Pavan and Mr.Behramji.
Can anyone get me more information about the Wyverns that Behram sir has mentioned? If they are just rusting and not in use I could use some parts.
Old 1st July 2008, 14:33   #672
BHPian

1947 Austin 40 for sale

Here is a 1947 Austin 40 that has come for sale at the same garage where I am getting electrical work done to my beetle. Interiors are in excellent condition. Outside paint is good but it needs some polishing done. My personal choice would rather be black or meroon red.

Apparently the mechanic tells me this is a single owner vehicle which is priced at 2.5L. If you are interested I'll get you the number.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-a40front.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-a40rear.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-a40left.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-a40right.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-a40dash.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-a40dashext.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-a40passleft.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-a40passright.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2008, 00:45   #673
BHPian

Not the hottest of cars, yet an old car nonetheless. And you don't see too many of them around anymore!

This 1972 Datsun 1200 (Model B 110) is for sale. She belongs to the owner of the PUC (Pollution Under Control) booth where I get my vehicles checked. This person is the second owner, although the car is still registered in the name of the first (an elderly person who would regularly be seen driving her till a couple of years back), who is also the original importer, I think. Documents are absolutely valid, with a smart card and fitness done till 2010 or 11. The original owner also has some NOS spares with him that he'll sell at a price, separately, I believe.

The present owner is really not an old car buff, maybe he just got swayed by my vehicles (so should I feel guilty?), and after buying her realised it wasn't his scene. Moreover, he's also got an used Palio recently, so he has absolutely no use for the Datsun. However, he's very keen that she goes to an enthusiast, so that she's taken care of. The scrap dealers are offering him 25K he says (and I believe him, because that's what the rates are). He wants 35K, which too is rather reasonable. The car is really original (despite a top coat of paint) as the pics show, is in running condition (although the engine is weak, being quite similar to the 118NEs shouldn't be too much of a challenge to put right), the interiors are still original, the old stickers on the pillars and engine bay also are there. I don't have parking space (infact got to offload a couple of mine also soon, neighbours are giving me increasingly bad vibes!), otherwise I wouldn't have fought the temptation. I've been seeing this car for the last 15 years and would like her to survive.

The seller is a simple soul, although his haryanvi intonations could give a different first impression. So, please don't hassle him unnecessarily with 'smart' buyer's talk. I don't know whether to post his mobile number here, or give it to interested people who PM me. I have absolutely no commercial interest in the whole thing, other than to, a) save the car and b) help the seller, because he's in unfamiliar territory with such a car. Readers, please advise about divulging his cell number here. I'll do so in a following post if that's the general view.

So much for plugging it, here're the photographs:
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-72-datsun-dash.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-72-datsun-engine-bay-2.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-72-datsun-engine-bay-3.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-72-datsun-front.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-72-datsun-front-left.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-72-datsun-front-right.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-72-datsun-id-plate.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-72-datsun-rear.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-72-datsun-rear-left.jpg  

Attached Images

Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2008, 09:30   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Not the hottest of cars, yet an old car nonetheless. And you don't see too many of them around anymore!
She looks like she's in reasonably good nick. Shreeram, I hope you are seeing this.

Regarding posting the number of the owner, you'd be better off giving the details personally to whoever contacts you.
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:03   #675
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's what I'm sure is a President (although it has a padmini badge, all the other tell-tale features on it make me sure its a president- still, can anyone confirm?) I saw today at the scrapyard, on my first trip after I got back home today.
The car has already been partially stripped, especially (regretfully!) of its original round indicators and grille!!
BTW, did presidents also have the delight type door handles?
But it still is salvageable and knowing which scrapguy it belonged to, we called him up and he was away then.
He says he's got the RC but no details on that. He's also said he wants a quick reply on this or else......you know of course! :(

So anyone who's keen on saving this car do contact me ASAP. Incidentally, I have a set of president hubcaps, although they sure need rechroming!
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0783.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0782.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0781.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0779.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_0780.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks