Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:37   #736
BHPian

Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

this Austin was apparently used in Tamil films in the 1960s, does anyone have a screenshot of that? the registration number at the time was BRN 226.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-18022010064.jpg  

awini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 09:56   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
enjoy the street scenes of Aamchi Mumbai of the '70s with empty wide roads and Premier President and Padmini Taxis !

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=L-zPlvi_J6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I remember having watched this movie years ago! Glad to have found it again, on Youtube!
Actually many of the taxis are Fiat 1100D, including the lead actor Amol Palekar "Hero"'s ride!
Harit had shared this still earlier as well

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-fiat08.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 21:19   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice video documentary of Bombay in 1968, with loads of cars from that time seen, primarily of course Fiat 1100s (especially taxis)...was particularly delighted to see a red mk1 Standard Herald (just like mine!) in this:

Also a brief shot from the Mahindra factory. Any idea what car that red LHD convertible(?) is btw?

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom6801.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom68.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom681.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom682.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom684.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom685.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom687.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom689.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom690.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom691.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom692.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom693.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom694.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom695.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bom696.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 28th May 2014 at 21:21.
Stanher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 18:00   #739
BHPian

[quote=Stanher;3437540]I remember having watched this movie years ago! Glad to have found it again, on youtube!
Actually many of the taxis are Fiat 1100D, including the lead actor Amol Palekar "Hero"'s ride!
Though a few Presidents and even early Padminis (which is what I suspect the red and black Fiat is) can also be seen, besides a few other cars as

Stanher.
Hi
Great to read your post .
This movie viz Taxi Taxie was not one of Amol's better known movies.So havnt seen it.
AFAIR there were hardly any 1100 diesels in the mid 1970s.That is when the movie was released. Curious to know whether my memory is playing tricks
Regards
Old 29th May 2014, 21:38   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
AFAIR there were hardly any 1100 diesels in the mid 1970s.That is when the movie was released. Curious to know whether my memory is playing tricks Regards
Sir, 1100D was NOT a Diesel ever, if thats what you refer to. The 'D' in 1100D stood for Delight.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-fiatid.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 13:00   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, 1100D was NOT a Diesel ever, if thats what you refer to. The 'D' in 1100D stood for Delight.
Yes! The "D" implies "Delight"! Never a Diesel. I went to a so called "expert" mechanic in Poona, to have a look at a W111. Dieselized. OM616. VIP Number. Rusted floor. Well...Well....Awful..!

I happened to mention that I have a Fiat 1100D. That guy was like ..... "Is it a Diesel"?

I sighed. So called expertise. So much for it.

That said, the Fiats never came with an oil burner until the Nineties'. The Premier 137D was the first oil burner Fiat.

The engine was originally a VW unit. Redesigned by an Austrian Firm, AVL. This motor was mated with a Nissan 'box.

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th May 2014 at 13:05.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 16:28   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
The engine was originally a VW unit. Redesigned by an Austrian Firm, AVL. This motor was mated with a Nissan 'box.
You mean the 137D engine?? I remember reading in a mag that twas actually developed by an Italian firm FNM on an existing Fiat 1500 engine? Anyways, the gurus can confirm.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 20:55   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You mean the 137D engine?? I remember reading in a mag that twas actually developed by an Italian firm FNM on an existing Fiat 1500 engine? Anyways, the gurus can confirm.
True, this engine has nothing to do with AVL of Austria. It was a FNM, Italy engine . The tools and dies, jigs to make it at Kurla were bought by PAL. I still have the road tests of the 137 D in Indian Auto Journal and Auto India.
Other details I will be posting after going through the old magazines.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 21:26   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I am surely referring to the 137D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
True, this engine has nothing to do with AVL of Austria. It was a FNM, Italy engine . The tools and dies, jigs to make it at Kurla were bought by PAL. I still have the road tests of the 137 D in Indian Auto Journal and Auto India.
Other details I will be posting after going through the old magazines.
About FNM maybe. I could'nt quite recall the name of the firm.

But, Stanher, the Fiat 1500 NEVER came with a Diesel. I'm quite certain about the VW bit. I recall reading about it somewhere.

But, memory can surely fade....! I spend more time fiddling with physics nowadays. Perhaps I could be corrected.

But, as I said, I'm quite sure about what I said.

P.S: Why was the Padmini called the 137D, and the 118NE the 1.38D? Why the extra point?

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th May 2014 at 21:30.
Old 31st May 2014, 08:22   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Yes. I am surely referring to the 137D.

About FNM maybe. I could'nt quite recall the name of the firm.

But, Stanher, the Fiat 1500 NEVER came with a Diesel. I'm quite certain about the VW bit. I recall reading about it somewhere.

But, memory can surely fade....! I spend more time fiddling with physics nowadays. Perhaps I could be corrected.

But, as I said, I'm quite sure about what I said.

P.S: Why was the Padmini called the 137D, and the 118NE the 1.38D? Why the extra point?

Cheers!
Why not give Dhabar senior a call, he was the one behind all this.

AVL Australia were behind the petrol unit and also involved in that redesigned fiat that never saw the light. AVL Australia were also contracted by Royal Enfield.
Old 31st May 2014, 20:59   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Maestro Bappi Lahiri's Mazda not fully seen.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-bappilahiri-mazda.jpg

(FB picture)

The gold pendants are yet to take birth in this picture. Remember reading a film magazine which reported that he bumped into Jaani Raj Kumar, at a philmi party.

Raj Kumar in his usual best, quipped to Bappiji : "Jaani yeh itne sare sone ke haar hain. Isme sirf ek mangalsutra ki kami hain."

Bappi Lahiri bought Lata Mangeshkar's used Fiat in 1973 and has preserved this car (2008 news), saying it has been lucky for him.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-lata-bappi-fiat.jpeg

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/entertai...w/15778895.cms

He owns a BMW 7 Series now though.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 31st May 2014 at 21:06.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:18   #747
Senior - BHPian

Today is Raj Kapoor's death anniversary ! He drove an Ambassador to work himself !

Other movie stars share their Ambassador story:

the link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...to-drive-then/

The erstwhile king of Indian cars, our very own Ambassador, stops production of the car that has been on Indian roads since 1948. The car that took its inspiration from the Morris Oxford III, built in the United Kingdom, was first gifted by Hindustan Motors to our first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru. It was a car which underwent minimal design changes from its original and at one point in time, was ranked the best taxi in the world by a British automobile television series. Many of us have learnt to drive on the rock-solid Ambassador as we were often told by our parents, 'If you can drive an Ambassador, you can drive any car.'

Well, having learnt my driving on it, I could vouch for that, though of course in today's automated times, our kids, may never get to see what a side gear is and how much effort it would take to change gears in such cars. For the longest time there were only two options, either you could buy the smart Fiat or the royal Ambassador. The USP of the Ambassador was that it was spacious, comfortable and, of course, a mark of being wealthy. A few days back, the Ambassador rolled out its last piece and we decided to talk to some of our celebrities who were proud owners of the good old Ambassador.

Javed Akhtar

My first car was a second-hand Ambassador in the early 70s. I loved the idea of owning a car and it was the biggest fantasy for me, so booking the car only was big thing fr me. And the day I brought the car was a big event. It had cost me `13,500. After I bought it I was left with absolutely no money so much so that Mrs Salim Khan contributed Rs 50 for the petrol. Since I did not know how to drive, Salim (Khan) drove me home. And I learnt to drive on the Ambassador. It was black in colour but I got it painted white as I preferred white those days. I know a lot of people are in love with their Ambassador essentially because it was a tough car, very high and spacious. Owning an imported car was a rarity in those days.

Jeetendra l

At the peak of his career in the 80s, Jeetendra stayed a lot down South as he would shoot many of his films there. The Ambassador car being extremely popular in Chennai, the actor owned a white Ambassador. Jeetendra talking to us said, "I had purchased it for `18,000 and given it to my driver Senu who used it as a taxi and would keep the car with him all the time. Actually, it was his car as I had bought it for him. He would pick me up from the airport, take me for shoots and later on after the completion of the shoot, drop me to the airport and bill the producer. Then he would use the same car, like a taxi. Three of my staff members — my make-up man, my assistant and my spot boy would sit behind and I would sit in the front. It was the same team for several years. I used the same car for four to five years, it was quite sturdy. Those days, there was not much choice and it had to be either a Fiat or an Ambassador." His son Tusshar remembers driving in the Ambassador whenever he visited his dad in Chennai. And a couple of years back, the young actor was surprised to see an Ambassador while shooting for a Rajshri film. Talking to us he said, "I saw Soorajji (Barjatya) come with his dad in an Ambassador which I found very surprising because the model is rarely seen these days."

Hema Malini l

I was a proud owner of a green colour Ambassador car. It was my very first car and I bought it second-hand in 1968 for `19,000. I really took care of it and maintained it well for about 10 to 12 years, but gradually its condition deteriorated. I learnt my driving on the Ambassador. I loved it because it was very spacious, luxurious, comfortable and economical. I also loved its shape. I had an air conditioner installed in it. I found it very prestigious to own it because all the bureaucrats and government officials would use the laal batti Ambassador. My Ambassador was always kept in Chennai because I spent a lot of time there. I used to drive down to my dance class in it. My mother also owned one here in Mumbai. However, my father felt my car was occupying a lot of space and he decided to dispose it off. I felt very sad when that happened. I was so much in love with it that I kept looking at it without blinking when it was being taken to be sold off. I wished I had a farm where I could have preserved it forever just like a monument.

Talat Aziz

My dad owned a beige white Ambassador in Hyderabad and I would drive it very often. In fact, I learnt driving on it. I would also race with it with my friends and have driven all over the country in an Ambassador. I would quite often drive from Hyderabad to Bhopal. I loved it because of its sturdiness and space and was hoping that we would continue with the modernised version but I guess we have to move on.

i'll search out a few more !

Amitabh Bachchan in a Ambassador Mark I in 'Bombay to Goa'

an car chase action sequence in 'Benaam' with a Chevy and an Amby driven by AB!
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-amitabh.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 2nd June 2014 at 14:45.
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:20   #748
Senior - BHPian

Raj's brother , Shammi Kapoor loved American cars too !
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-shammi.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-shammi2.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2014, 14:42   #749
Senior - BHPian

Immortal Song !

but which bike is this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-sholay.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2014, 19:53   #750
Senior - BHPian