Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 06:51   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore

Mysore Bentley Mk VI Chassis B47EW (previously registered BYH-2829), now at the Miami Auto Museum (Dezer Collection)

(courtesy: autominded.com)

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-mysore-bentley-mk-vi-byh2829-b47ew-miami.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 20th December 2013 at 06:58.
travancore is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 07:46   #47
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Mysore Bentley Mk VI Chassis B47EW (previously registered BYH-2829), now at the Miami Auto Museum (Dezer Collection)
Travancore. What a beauty. Is there a "Court of Arms" on the door? Hope we can get a picture of the same.

Cheers

KPS
Old 20th December 2013, 08:34   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Travancore. What a beauty. Is there a "Coat of Arms" on the door? Hope we can get a picture of the same.

Cheers

KPS
There is on this car (a reproduction of the original). I do not have a picture, will look for one.

Hooper supposedly made a whole bunch of them in silver, for the Mysore fleet.

Meanwhile, here is another "Mysore" Bentley Mk VI that just showed up on the web. Supposedly a 1948 Hooper 4-light Saloon. I know nothing more!

(courtesy Cooks Upholstery & Restoration http://cooksupholsterycr.blogspot.com/

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-mysore-bentley-mk-vi-hooper-4light-1948-cooks-upholstery.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 20th December 2013 at 08:38.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 08:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mysore Bentley Mk VI Chassis B47EW (previously registered BYH-2829), now at the Miami Auto Museum (Dezer Collection) (courtesy: autominded.com)
Thanks Travancore for the update.the car has been featured earlier . It was in a long time ownership with the BATLIWALA family in Mumbai where this picture was taken at their house . The old lady still stays there at a wonderful Bunglow at MALABAR hill and in the study is huge picture of this car . Her son or brother took the car to the US and now it's at the Museum . When in Bombay the crest on the door is missing Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-image1831575132.jpg  

Last edited by kasli : 20th December 2013 at 08:37.
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
........... Her son or brother took the car to the US and now it's at the Museum . When in Bombay the crest on the door is missing Cheers
Oops Kasli, you got it wrong. Yes, its the Batliwala car, when it was exported it went to UK and the car still bears a UK registration. When they applied to VCCCI for the export, they were asked to enter the forthcoming VCCCI vintage car rally which they did. Julian had posted about this car reappearing in UK with this registration. Then she was sold on, now landed in a Museum in USA.
It is common in India that owners prefer to sell their wares abroad rather than in India, it would have fetched more in India. Many of our Maharajas were like that, remember Nabha? And where is the Holkar Bentley?

Cheers harit
Old 20th December 2013, 12:37   #51
BHPian

Harit, '

The Holkar Bentley, sold to a foreigner based in Delhi, I believe has finally left Indian shores. Surely you are aware ??

Quite frankly, I see no reason why any owner should be restricted from selling his car abroad. But this is a sensitive topic so I will not elaborate.

The Nabha Swan car, illegally exported, seems to be nicely restored , I wonder what happened to the case filed in Indian courts against various people involved, was the matter compromised?? One hears nothing about it .
Old 20th December 2013, 17:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Well the grandson was a classmate and the car was in the US last near New York so I presumed that it went there directly. Thanks for the correction.

The Holkar Bentley I was told is in Qatar along with many Holkar Palace artifacts and last told even certain rooms of the palace ( red Palace ) replicated there . Who has the car I am not aware and Harit you know the rest

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Oops Kasli, you got it wrong. Yes, its the Batliwala car, when it was exported it went to UK and the car still bears a UK registration. When they applied to VCCCI for the export, they were asked to enter the forthcoming VCCCI vintage car rally which they did. Julian had posted about this car reappearing in UK with this registration. Then she was sold on, now landed in a Museum in USA.
It is common in India that owners prefer to sell their wares abroad rather than in India, it would have fetched more in India. Many of our Maharajas were like that, remember Nabha? And where is the Holkar Bentley?

Cheers harit
Old 20th December 2013, 17:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Harit, '

The Holkar Bentley, sold to a foreigner based in Delhi, I believe has finally left Indian shores........Quite frankly, I see no reason why any owner should be restricted from selling his car abroad......
The Nabha Swan car, illegally exported, seems to be nicely restored , I wonder what happened to the case filed in Indian courts against various people involved, was the matter compromised?? One hears nothing about it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
...........and Harit you know the rest Cheers
Here is the problem.
A pre 1960 car can be taken out by a family having owned it for several years, and a family member takes it. That is what happened to a SS which went to Australia, a certain Lanchester which went to New Zealand, and another Mysore Bentley (Teardrop) which went to UK. I believe that these cars were still in family ownership till recently. The Batliwala Bentley went out as a family heirloom, only to be sold on. Once gone, Indian Government has no control. Therefore a foreigner taking the Holkar Bentley is not correct, even if one sees no reason to restrict, it is the law. Even if he were to be a diplomat.

I am not aware of any "rest", I believe that there are no "rests", the car seems to have landed in Qatar. I only know that the last pictures I saw of it were with a famed restorer and historian sitting in it, what was the connection I don't know.

Cheers harit
Old 28th December 2013, 11:39   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, here is another "Mysore" Bentley Mk VI that just showed up on the web. Supposedly a 1948 Hooper 4-light Saloon. I know nothing more!

(courtesy Cooks Upholstery & Restoration http://cooksupholsterycr.blogspot.com/
I was under the impression there were six Bentley Mk VIs for Mysore - could there have been more?

Here are the 6 Mysore Mk VIs we've seen so far (thanks to generous posters in the past)

1948 James Young 2 Door Saloon,
#B125AJ (MRX 8563 - Bhogilal)

1949 Park Ward DHC,
#B438CF (RJD 101 - Nitin Dossa)

1949 H J Mulliner DHC,
#B216EY (BYH 2775 - Jeejeebhoy)

1949 Hooper 4 light saloon,
#B294EY (MRJ 3371 - Poonawalla)

1949 Hooper Sedanca “tear drop” Coupe,
#B47EW (BYH 2829 - Reporter/Batliwalla, now Miami)

1950 Gurney Nutting Sedanca “tear drop” coupe,
#B214EY (MRZ 7000 - Apte)
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 19:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I was under the impression there were six Bentley Mk VIs for Mysore - could there have been more?

Here are the 6 Mysore Mk VIs we've seen so far (thanks to generous posters in the past)
Karl, thanks for consolidating the list!

"Doing a Mysore" supposedly meant buying 7 or more at a time (or in close succession). So is this the "missing" (seventh) one ?
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 07:26   #56
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The 1911 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp Silver Ghost Ceremonial Victoria Chassis no. 1683 Engine no. 91K (ex-chassis 1680) had this umbrella fitted on the rear of the car. Do you think that the umbrella was for the Maharaja when the canvas hood was down?

Anyways this is quite odd considering this is an open car

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-canvas.png

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-canvas1.png

Source : http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19289/lot/221/

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 13:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1911 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp Silver Ghost Ceremonial Victoria Chassis no. 1683 Engine no. 91K (ex-chassis 1680) had this umbrella fitted on the rear of the car.

KPS

Just saw this car. See a teaser picture here.

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-img_0292a.jpg

Hoping to get a better Camera to get some good pictures.

Its in an well preserved condition, will dig around for more info

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 19:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
KPS

Hoping to get a better Camera to get some good pictures.

Its in an well preserved condition, will dig around for more info

Ram
I could not get a better Camera. So had to do with the Iphone.

The Car is on Display at the St. Regis Hotel, Doha Qatar. Its in a very prominent position inside the main lobby.

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-img_0292a.jpg

As soon as I walked in and saw the car - thanks to KPS - I knew what it was.

The car is owned by the Rolls Royce, Doha, Qatar dealership, who are also the dealers for a host brands of luxury cars and bikes (I think they own the hotel property as well). The fact that its owned by the RR dealership is very evedent in the maintenance of the car as well

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-img_0294a.jpg

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-img_0295a.jpg

The red glass lenses were looking really nice and in contrast to all the plastic rears we see.

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-img_0301a.jpg

The front HLs were in immaculate condition as well - experts please confirm if it were the Carbide Gas type ?

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-img_0297a.jpg

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-img_0303a.jpg

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-img_0304a.jpg

The care the car still gets is evedent from the gleaming crimson leather of the interiors

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-img_0306a.jpg

Apart from a daily dusting, it was confirmed by people in the know at the hotel, that the RR Dealer's team comes around every 3 weeks and Starts the Car, by the crank and it invariably starts almost at half crank.

Any way now we know where one interesting piece of India heritage is.

There is a display plaque beside the car - giving identical info as is there in the Bonhams aution link posted by KPS, with addition about RR Doha having acquired from UK

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 14th March 2014 at 19:07.
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 02:46   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 1911 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp Silver Ghost Ceremonial Victoria Chassis no. 1683 Engine no. 91K (ex-chassis 1680) had this umbrella fitted on the rear of the car. Do you think that the umbrella was for the Maharaja when the canvas hood was down?

Anyways this is quite odd considering this is an open car

Attachment 1189811

Attachment 1189812

Source : http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19289/lot/221/

Cheers

KPS
Here is a modern day umbrella car, belonging to the Emir of Kano

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-kano-emir-car.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 15:55   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Amongst the many fabulous motorsport photos posted by Melanie Webb on her father Fred's exploits

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7142026&type=1

Here is His Royal Highness Jaya Chamarajendra Wodeyar of Mysore, with Air Vice Marshal Goyal. The car is probably the Daimler?

"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-mysore.jpg

Also did anyone catch the Mark VI visible in the back? I assume it is a Mysore car.
Attached Thumbnails
"Doing a Mysore" again - Cars of Maharaja of Mysore-markvi.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks