Wait for Hyundai ix25 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 14:38   #61
BHPian

Re: EcoSport VS the Rest of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
As i read in most of the posts which says the verna's highway handling is not good,...My wife and I liked the verna comparing other two in terms of interiors...Dear BHPians, help me whether i can go for Verna. most of the verna owners saying that verna is good in highway too. (now HMP hyundai says they can offer only 4kms test drive as per their MD's instruction)
Mate, you've fallen for the beauty! It's ultimately you who'll have to take the decision based on a test drive. But...
Quote:
...now HMP hyundai says they can offer only 4kms test drive as per their MD's instruction
Doesn't this tell you something about the handling part? If you go to TD a Ford, they will typically, and deliberately, take you for a lo...ng TD preferably to a highway. Tell Hyundai folks you are not buying the car without a TD to your satisfaction.

Quote:
I like to understand whether it is because of the softer suspension / The Protruding lines for fluidic designs which makes the car wallowy
I don't think the lines are doing much. Verna without lines - the older version - was wallowy too. It's the suspensions.

Quote:
I normally drive atleast 18k per year which includes highway around 40 ~ 50 % @ 120 or more kmph speed.
To me, this is a strong point against Verna.

Quote:
Should i also think about Ertiga ?
I'd suggest, you note down what you need from the car you intend to buy. Let me help you start. Based on your posts, maybe you're looking for
  • A Diesel
  • Around 10 lakh
  • Good power range
  • Space
  • Adequate handling
  • Good A.S.S. with reasonable service costs
  • Premium feel
  • ...and so on...
Now, firm up what are the most essential items and what you can compromise with. And then look around afresh, if you can't wait for Ecosport for its long waiting period.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 6th September 2013 at 14:44.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 14:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post

Moreover with the cost of Dollar, all cars will face an increase in price. Wait for this yo end and get a bargain.
Oh yeah Sandy, forgot to mention. MPL ford is not sending the proforma as they are directed by Ford to wait for the revised rate !!

Is it probable that they start booking after this and reduce the waiting time too ?

However, Am not sure whether i can wait till Honda Diesel, Brio based MPV, YL1, etc.. But i certainly value your point and try to drag my wait / decision time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
  • A Diesel
  • Around 10 lakh
  • Good power range
  • Space
  • Adequate handling
  • Good A.S.S. with reasonable service costs
  • Premium feel
  • ...and so on...
Now, firm up what are the most essential items and what you can compromise with. And then look around afresh, if you can't wait for Ecosport for its long waiting period.

Hope this helps...
Well Said, Exactly this is what am looking for. As i mentioned earlier am thinking about taking a TD once again with the verna competitors too (Rapid, Vento)

Last edited by aah78 : 13th September 2013 at 23:19. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ when responding to multiple quotes. Thanks!
Old 9th September 2013, 02:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

Background:
I've booked an Ecosport titanium plus diesel in June and my car is expected sometime next month. However,the launch of Polo 1.6 TDI has left me confused. I had anticipated a pricing of 10+ lakhs for the Polo 1.6D,and had then found Ecosport more modern and VFM. However, now VW is looking to price the car on par with the GT TSI and Ford increased prices by 50k.

My requirements from the car are

Should be powerful for city and highway usage
Diesel since I'll be using it for 30kms a day on an average
Compact dimensions since the car will be predominantly city driven
Good handler
Adequate features, though more would be welcome

I had a rather bad experience with a VW Polo diesel and had to finally sell it due to repeated issues. The only reason I'm considering VW again is because of the support I got from the company though they had sold me a lemon and the fuss free ownership many have had with VW. Also the car except for lack of performance and reliability concerns was simply perfect for me. Never once did I scrape the underbelly in the city and since it was a second car the lack of space wasn't a concern.

The confusion has come up since both a hatch and micro SUV will do just fine for my requirements. I've never felt the need for additional GC in the city,though on the highways at times it was an issue. I'll be taking a loan for either cars, and since they're depreciating assets the lesser the better.

If the pricing rumours are to be believed the Polo is about 2 lakhs cheaper than the Ecosport, which is a huge difference from the approx 1 lakh I'd anticipated at the time of eco sport booking. Besides, more I see of the eco sport on the road I feel its just a grown up hatch at most,not SUVish. I'm finding it quite hard to justify the additional 2lakhs investment for the ecosport for my kind of usage and requirements.

What should I do ? Stick with ecosport or get the Polo ? I have no particular liking towards either car.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 9th September 2013 at 02:59.
Old 9th September 2013, 07:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Talking about the Ecosport and the grown up hatch look, I think it is only following international design trends, except the Americans and Land Rover, nobody else is building tall SUVs. Manufacturers have figured out that the only way to contain body roll is to lower the center of gravity. The Ecosport is definitely taller than all hatches, just look at the spec sheet, the Duster and Ecosport are almost the same height, so is the Q5 and Q7, what you should be buying the Ecosport for is the ground clearance and the tough SUV build
Old 9th September 2013, 11:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Talking about the Ecosport and the grown up hatch look,what you should be buying the Ecosport for is the ground clearance and the tough SUV build
I didn't mean to say its not big enough for a 12lakh car but at times I've noticed it isn't much bigger than say an i20 or Swift. Duster looks much bigger than these hatches but is way overpriced.

The USP of the ecosport is the GC no doubt,but I think I can manage with slightly less GC too with a hatch,hence the confusion.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 11:51   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The USP of the ecosport is the GC no doubt,but I think I can manage with slightly less GC too with a hatch,hence the confusion.
I would say stick to Ford for the moment. Given that you did your due diligence for the purchase, hold on to to your decision.
Since I see your location as Bangalore, the GC would definitely help.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 13:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I would say stick to Ford for the moment. Given that you did your due diligence for the purchase, hold on to to your decision.
Since I see your location as Bangalore, the GC would definitely help.
You are right, it is the more practical option with additional GC. But with the competitive pricing of the GT TDI I'm somehow unable to justify the massive premium of 2 lakhs that the ecosport commands. Sure it has more features,4 additional airbags but they're not very high on my priority list.
Old 9th September 2013, 22:12   #68
BHPian

For those confused between Ecosport & Polo GT TDI, here are my 2 cents:
In favor of Polo GT TDI: Powerful and punchy engine, Good interiors and build quality, Price
In favor of Ecosport: SUV'ish looks, Good GC, Looks (although subjective), Boot space, Rear legroom, Equipment list (Airbags, Sync etc.)

I think based on the above, paying 2 lacs of premium on Ford ES doesn't make much sense until unless you want an SUV'ish looking vehicle with Good GC.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:42   #69
BHPian

Things are getting interesting with the talks of Polo GT TDI. However, i called up VW Downtown, Mumbai and they have no clue of what i am talking about. Any one with concrete info on launch of Polo GT TDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
For those confused between Ecosport & Polo GT TDI, here are my 2 cents:
In favor of Polo GT TDI: Powerful and punchy engine, Good interiors and build quality, Price
In favor of Ecosport: SUV'ish looks, Good GC, Looks (although subjective), Boot space, Rear legroom, Equipment list (Airbags, Sync etc.)

I think based on the above, paying 2 lacs of premium on Ford ES doesn't make much sense until unless you want an SUV'ish looking vehicle with Good GC.
Old 10th September 2013, 15:24   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mariner View Post
Things are getting interesting with the talks of Polo GT TDI. However, i called up VW Downtown, Mumbai and they have no clue of what i am talking about. Any one with concrete info on launch of Polo GT TDI?
Went to VW Secunderabad and they said they are unloading vehicles today. As far as I know 3 Polo TDI vehicles have reached Hyderabad
Old 10th September 2013, 15:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mariner View Post
I called up a old and big dealer here in bangalore to be politely told it'll take 2 years for the launch of the diesel GT TDI Called another (new) dealer and he offered to take a booking,deliver the very first GT TDI allotted to them should I book now. The official launch date is 13th.

If you are serious about the car,suggest you call other dealers in the city. To some(ok with a hatch or a compact SUV) the GT TDI is a better choice than the Ecosport at approximately 2 lakhs less.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 10th September 2013 at 15:56.
Old 10th September 2013, 16:02   #72
BHPian

Having cancelled my ecosport booking, I am back in market and Polo GT TDI certainly looks an viable option, especially if the prices that we have here is true. Yeah, will sure call up the other dealer at mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I called up a old and big dealer here in bangalore to be politely told it'll take 2 years for the launch of the diesel GT TDI Called another (new) dealer and he offered to take a booking,deliver the very first GT TDI allotted to them should I book now. The official launch date is 13th.

If you are serious about the car,suggest you call other dealers in the city. To some(ok with a hatch or a compact SUV) the GT TDI is a better choice than the Ecosport at approximately 2 lakhs less.
Old 11th September 2013, 15:38   #73
BHPian

Finally, I came out of the confusion and went with 9 months waiting, yes, you read it correct, its Nine months for EcoSport. Booked TDCi Titanium today in MPL ford Chennai .
Old 13th September 2013, 00:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians

I had this query for long and in the light of the uncertainty surrounding delivery of Ecosport Titanium (O) Diesel booked on 30th June, I'm thinking of Verna.

I've been a really satisfied Hyundai Customer, had the 1st gen Santro in the family, followed by 2 Xing's and now i20 Petrol Asta. Unlike what I've heard about the Vento (if it stalls, any roadside mechanic won't be of help) the i20 or for that fact any Santro we had never gave up in this manner. Much before Ecosport came into picture, Verna Diesel was ought to be my next car and now it's time to ponder over this desire again.

My daily drive is about 70 Kms comprising of driving on few patches of potholed roads with AWESOME Speed Breakers capable of scraping my Uncle's City (ANHC - An alternate ride at times to work) every time but the i20 never faces such issues.

Vento, Rapid, SX4, Linea et al, all these options are out of question in my case and it's just Ecosport Titanium (O) versus Verna 1.6 SX(O). I would like to know if it's worth making the switch. To me Hyundai's have been trustworthy till date and with a solid support network in South Delhi unlike that of Ford. Further, easily availability of Genuine Spares off the shelf and from open market for Hyundai is another point of concern considering the Maintenance aspect after Warranty Period is over.

Considering the following points, please suggest if Verna is worth it:
1. Easy availability of Genuine Spares in Open Market.
2. Maintenance Costs (I do know Trusted Mechanics in the Market hence, request you to keep this in mind).
3. Ride Comfort.
4. Free from Unusual Problems (like Vento issue, will stall without any reason. Vento lovers, I don't mean to demean your faith).
5. Long term Reliability.

BHPians, you'll find I'm a bit biased towards Verna hence, I need your inputs on comparing it against Ecosport. I'm also from that school of thought which believes that Japanese and Koreans have understood our Conditions better than others hence, Fiat and Ford fail to deliver the same numbers as their Oriental Counterparts.

Please help!

Last edited by tsk13 : 13th September 2013 at 00:21.
Old 13th September 2013, 22:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

Simply couldn't resist not driving the Polo 1.6 TDI so found myself at the VW showroom today, and decided to take back to back TD's of Ecosport and Vento TDI mainly to get an idea of how the 1.6 TDI is

Ecosport:

High seating position certainly helps in the city
Spacious compared to the Polo
Lots of features
High GC is a boon in tackling crater type potholes
Refined diesel

Dislikes
Stiff suspension, tosses you around a little too much for comfort. This is my 4th TD so it certainly can't be over-inflated tyres
Under-powered engine. After dilly-dallying between adequate to powerful, this engine is clearly under-powered for the car.
Plastics, especially the lower part of the dash, near seat adjustments are of poor quality
Driver armrest is a joke. Lol

In contrast the Polo had a better suspension (drove GT TSI too) with a much softer ride, also the engine (1.6TDI in Vento) was waay more powerful. IMHO it trumps the 1.5Tdci in drivability and power delivery. It loses out only on refinement, I expect them both to give similar mileage.

I'm one of those enthusiasts for who engine matters the most, i've already bought an under-powered car and suffered with it. So re-mapping the 1.5tdci etc aren't really options i'd like to consider. This pretty much swings the decision in favor of the Polo GT TDI, its the EXACT same car I owned before but with a different engine which makes all the difference to me.

Would like to hear what you guys think.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks