Ford Ecosport Ecoboost 79 62.20%
Used Skoda Yeti 19 14.96%
Wait for Hyundai ix25 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 08:55   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport Ecoboost vs Used Skoda Yeti vs Hyundai ix25

If I wasn't circumspect of Skoda dealers (mainly) and reliability of European cars I would buy the Yeti in a heart beat. It is one car that has almost everything going for it right from engine to practicality to space to quality. With such talents even with its quirky looks, this car is a looker.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 09:52   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
My criteria( in order of priority):
  • Fun to drive
  • Powerful engine
  • Good ride and handling
  • Safety
  • Decent list of features

BUDGET: 15 lakh
With 15 L to spend, why are you even considering the Ecosport? The ix is not yet in the market, but while you will get Hyundai peace of mind and good build quality I doubt you will get anything more than a 1.6L engine on it, going by launches elsewhere.

These two vehicles are not in the same category as the Yeti. However, please ensure you pick up a used Yeti with a warranty that is valid for at least a year so you can sort out any issues under warranty. Obviously get the car thoroughly checked up first. Things to watch out for (known issues on the vehicle):

1. A/c performance. Even if it seems normal, the vehicle may have gone through the first level of troubleshooting (replacement of valves etc), and a compressor issue may come up. Ideally they should be replacing the compressor the first time around, but they are obviously pushing their luck with a cheaper fix first.

2. ABS sensor. Also replaced under warranty.

3. Water pump seal leaks. Pump is also replaced under warranty.

If these known issues can be sorted out under warranty, one does not need any external motivation to drive the vehicle. I suggest you take a test drive at a dealership first - it may change your mind completely.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 10:58   #123
BHPian

My vote is for Skoda Yeti because

- Good GC for Indian roads.
- Power (You have lot of after market options for performance)
- AWD
- Compact - good for city as well as highways.
- Lot of safety features.
brraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 12:13   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Now let's get straight to the point. The choices that I have in my shortlist are just plain weird. Not a soul would speak against that. We have a pseudo SUV, a market failure and an SUV that has not even launched!

So what exactly was I thinking when I compiled this odd list?

My criteria( in order of priority):
  • Fun to drive
  • Powerful engine
  • Good ride and handling
  • Safety
  • Decent list of features

BUDGET: 15 lakh

Coming to the contenders:

Ford Ecosport Ecoboost:
Used Skoda Yeti:
Hyundai ix25:
If you have 15L to shop, why to stop at Ecosport? Buy something that costs close to 15L, because it's not economical to upgrade the car frequently (say anything less than 3 years or 50,000 kms). At least for me this is the philosophy: When I am in market to shop, I will try to buy a segment higher and that to top end variant (of course keeping the budget constraints in mind). This will avoid the urge for up gradation in the early years of ownership. Now coming to your choices
Ecosport: Yes, it is good urban crossover, but be aware it is still hatch in terms of space it can offer (read less than 4m lengh). If you still want to buy it, go for 1.5L diesel over the ecoboost petrol for your usage pattern.
ix25:If at all you can hold your purchase for few more months (may be 6 months), my advise is to wait. IMO it's worth waiting after looking at the Chinese version of ix25. Of course we do not have any concrete specifications of Indian model yet. But I am hopeful that Hyundai won't disappoint after looking at their latest offering Elite i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Yeti is without a doubt the winner here. After living with it for 2 years and 40k kms I couldn't have made a better choice.
+1 Yeti is winner from the above list in terms of performance and technology.
Honestly Yeti is a segment above the rest (Ecosport and ix25), hence no point in comparing back to back. Being a Skoda Rapid owner for 3+ years, I have took a pledge that I never ever own Skoda/VW vehicle without Extended Warranty. Skoda ASS guys always recommend to replace the parts even though there are simple and basic fixes available. I personally observed this is done to boost their revenues at the cost of customer comfort and satisfaction.
If at all you decide to buy Yeti, please make sure you have EW. Post EW Skoda/VW cars are like ticking time bombs.

Quote:
We did not have a very good experience with the Duster. The gearshift was miserable and there were tons of flimsy fittings. It might be a good idea to try the AWD though, since it is much more sophisticated than the FWD.
Beyond the above two cons (gearshift and interiors) ergonomics are also given a big miss in Duster/Terrano siblings. The way they placed the various controls, HU is simply pathetic. Duster AWD costs 16L+ on road in Bangalore and does not have Automatic Climate Control(ACC). Having said that I must accept Duster AWD suspension and handling at high speeds is segment best (excluding Yeti).

Last edited by hillsnrains : 27th January 2015 at 12:18.
hillsnrains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 11:44   #125
BHPian

Re: EcoSport VS the Rest of the World

Thanks all for your suggestions. Sorry to take so long to respond. I've been giving my brain a serious workout, hence the delay.

We took a test drive of the Elantra diesel, which most probably has the same engine-gearbox combo and weight as the ix25. Dad though it was brilliant, and instantly loved it for its power and refinement. He doesn't mind frequent gear shifts to overcome turbo lag, because, well, he's fallen in love with the slick, short throw gear box as well.

The verdict was unanimous; we'll wait for the ix25. Sure, I'm the impatient type, but something tells me this wait could be worth it.

The Yeti unfortunately, was dumped from the shortlist because looking for a clean used car, that too a Yeti, was proving to be a labourious task. We felt we could not invest the required time to visit, inspect, and decide on a suitable Yeti.
Turbo_asd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 18:57   #126
BHPian

Good Drivers car for City and highways (under 13L)

Hi all,

Let me start off saying this is the first time Iam clueless as to decide on what car to buy/upgrade next. Iam quite confused for the past 4 months. All New Fiesta was my decided car upgrade, mainly because it ticked all the boxes in my list below. I cant seem to find another car that would do that right now.

Currently own a 2011 Ford Figo Diesel Titanium and previous car was 2007 Ford Ikon 1.8D NXT. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

My mandatory requirements
1. Very good driving dynamics, benchmark is All New Fiesta (like to take on corners quite aggressively)
2. Airbags (driver and passenger)
3. ABS
4. Very good headlamps (both my previous cars had poor ones)
5. Manual Transmission only
6. Diesel Only

My optional requirements (having would be an added advantage)
1. Side Curtain Airbags
2. Cruise Control
3. Automatic Headlamps
4. Rain Sensing wipers
5. Reverse parking sensor

My current choices,
1. Ford Ecosport Titanium or Titanium +
2. Volkswagen Vento Highline
3. Fiat Linea Emotion

Companies I like to stay away are Maruti Suzuki, Tata, Hyundai and Skoda. I know most of the cars on road are from those companies, but I dont like the way they built the cars, very flimsy.

Budget : 11 to 13 Lakhs (can extent a bit)
Mileage: not very keen on it, anything more than 13/14 is acceptable

To sum it all up, Iam looking for a car that can take on the All New Fiesta.

Last edited by ramharis : 8th March 2016 at 18:58. Reason: small change
Old 8th March 2016, 19:16   #127
BHPian

Re: Good Drivers car for City and highways (under 13L)

The only car in production right know to come close to the driving dynamics of fiesta is the fiat linea. And since I'm on the look out for a new car I can tell u that there are very generous discounts on the linea in chennai. ( I do not know about other localities) Apart from the list of cars you have suggested and although you have clearly mentioned no to skoda I think you should try the rapid out. Its really awesome around corners too. Just a suggestion. Happy hunting for your new car.
Old 8th March 2016, 19:22   #128
BHPian

I can vouch for the Vento but not sure about the headlamps and ground clearance is around 165mm . I feel Linea would be under-powered. Eco-sport might check all the boxes for you.
Except for auto headlamps , Vento checks all the features list you asked for
Old 8th March 2016, 19:33   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

From your choices, the Vento is probably the best ( For petrol the linea tjet would be the ideal choice). The head lamps are not great and it does not get side airbags and auto headlamps. Everything else is there.

There is a Vento facelift expected with led headlamps and potentially a slightly more powerful engine. Rough timeline maybe around July, but no confirmed report. If you can wait, maybe worth seeing how that turns out.

If you really love the all new fiesta, maybe worthwhile to look at a preowned one. Being a poor seller and a discontinued model, am sure you will be able to get a good deal if you can find one.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 19:37   #130
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramharis View Post
To sum it all up, Iam looking for a car that can take on the All New Fiesta.
Given your requirements I think you're on the right track.
So, is the new Fiesta still in consideration ?
I would say keep your initial list to Fiesta, Linea, Vento and Rapid (very similar to the Vento). Keep Ecosport as the outsider to give you that other perspective of a mini SUV.
Yes, there may be concerns on Skoda service but build quality is good and you get to compare with the others even if you eventually decide not to buy it
Old 8th March 2016, 20:07   #131
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The Vento is the best car for your requirement. However it is still no match for the old Figo and the Fiesta in terms of feedback and for taking those corners.
From your post it is quite visible that you would have ideally liked to go for the New Fiesta. You can try to procure the all New Fiesta through the Ford dealerships all over India. You might just get lucky.
Old 8th March 2016, 20:13   #132
Senior - BHPian

I have an all new Fiesta, Ecosport, Vento and also had a Linea for 6 years until i sold it few months back. I own all of your contenders so would give my honest view. According to your requirements where you require brilliant driving dynamics with solid build quality, only Linea is the next contender after Fiesta.

Vento is a safe handler and it ends there, the suspension is tuned towards comfort, the cars bobs a bit over undulations and the steering is dead, tuned towards the lighter side and there is no feedback at all. The performance is blistering, build quality is the best in this segment, ride is good and you get a lot of features now, VW support is average and the car does have reliability issues. Dynamics are average when you compare it to Fiesta or Linea.

Ecosport handles the undulations better than vento owing to its stiffer suspension but the steering is light like Vento, that said the Ecosport despite being 200mm off the ground, changes directions quicker than a Vento would. Ride is hard but it is a successful product and Ford's service and warranty claims are much better than both Fiat and Ford.

Linea has the best ride, handling and steering combination after Fiesta. The ride is sublime, the body control and straight line stability is top notch and that hydraulic steering is a driver's delight, the braking is the best i have experienced in c segment. The solid build is the best this segment can get, the diesel engine is a bit lethargic and Fiat's reputation is not upto the mark. I never faced any major reliability issues in my 6 years with this car, Fiat India was always very helpful.

The all new Fiesta is still the handling benchmark for others to match, it so damn agile and the sheer stability at high speeds is great. The ride is excellent despite the stiffer set up, the engine has enough pep, NVH is great, the front bucket seats are awesome and the fact that i got it at a shade over 10 lakhs on road Delhi, it was such a sweet car at that price. Rear seats are claustrophobic though, see if you can get hold of a Fiesta at any Ford dealers, seems like this is your first love.
Only Linea comes comes to the drive quality of Fiesta, Vento/Rapid are leagues behind.

See what suits you.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 8th March 2016 at 20:18.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 20:22   #133
BHPian

Has to be the Fiat Linea Multijet. Built like a tank so safety guaranteed. Neat European styling. No fluidic curves anywhere
Well planted and heavy kerb weight makes it incredibly stable at speeds. Superb suspension. Best in class build quality so you can be assured the car would last a decade or more if you plan to keep it that long. If am not wrong it has the highest ground clearance in its segment.Paddle shifts!
Also it will give you a bit of novelty factor since the car isn't that common on streets compared to any Hyundai/Honda/Maruti.

P.s- I think the Ford Fiesta has been discontinued or is about to be soon.
Old 8th March 2016, 20:46   #134
BHPian

Hello Ram,

You are one of the rare & endangered species looking for driving dynamics and build in our market, with limited options available back to back test drives will help you zero out the best suitable car for you. I am hooked to this thread now to see how it all unfolds and what would be the final pick :-).
All the best in your decision making.

Cheers,
pdma.

Last edited by pdma : 8th March 2016 at 20:51.
Old 8th March 2016, 20:50   #135
BHPian

Thanks Guys, within a few posts I can clearly say that All New Fiesta is a class on it own. Wonder why Ford would actually stop a car that is so good.

There is an All New Fiesta in stock at Chennai Ford and its a White Titanium (my perfect choice). But Iam having second thoughts on that car. It has been more than 4-6 months since Ford had stops manufacturing and the dealer has not sold the car yet, that's one.

Then comes the Chennai Floods, not sure if the car was affected by the recent floods. I did see the car sitting in the showroom in person, looks BEAUTIFUL (except for the seats, grey shade looks weird and aged). What makes me scared is, back in December, Chennai Ford did not have any Fiesta, starting Feb they seem to have one, suspicious!

And they are only giving ~55K discount, which is very less since it a 2015 car and a car that's not manufactured anymore. I don't want to own a car that could possibly bring up issues, just kills your ownership experience.

My friend owns a Vento and he says the headlamps are not good. I have driven his car, not much, but the headlamps are ok but the steering is very vague and is not confidence inspiring at all. I heard they had tweaked the steering and changes the headlamps, so need to see if that has made a difference.

I had a Skoda Rapid in my mind, but because of their after sales service and all the posts of them in the forum makes me think 10 times before considering a Skoda.

So far Ecosport seems like a good choice, when I consider the taking my mom and dad out, its just easier for them to get in a out. They dont have to crouch and wiggle their way into an Ecosport. None of the other cars can tick that box. And also considering the high bonnet, should be safe from under run accidents.

Keeping my options open, have about a month or 2 to finalize on one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks