Ford Ecosport Ecoboost 79 62.20%
Used Skoda Yeti 19 14.96%
Wait for Hyundai ix25 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2018, 00:18   #151

Dilemma: Ecosport Diesel Top Spec or Creta Petrol Base

Dear All,

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am on a look out for a new car, and my budget's ceiling is pegged at 10L ex-showroom. Due to higher ground clearance, a little more street cred and in general the family's liking over a sedan, I am almost certain on a compact SUV.

A little background: I currently have a Polo 1.2 Petrol Comfortline. I bought it about 3.5 years back with extensive research, most of it on TeamBHP, reviews and test drives. It was out of my budget, but because the new Polo had launched then, I got a handsome discount. I have absolutely loved the car and never have had any issues or complaints (except maybe the Ground Clearance and expensive servicing). I love the build, stability and it's ability to stay almost as new in looks (the paint job I suppose). I have only driving in little shy of 30K kilometres so far, so clearly mu running is not a lot. The need for a new car arose cause my father wanted to do away with his Alto a year back. Since my loan was getting over, I told him that if he's okay, we can take my car and I can get a new one (mainly cause he didn't want a big car himself, he prefers a hatchback)

At the outset, it was almost always going to be the EcoSport. The Brezza, the one time I drove, seemed light and didn't inspire the confidence that the EcoSport does, or even the Polo. I wasn't very keen on the new cross-overs. The Nexon and Captur's styling was too funky for me and the Captur anyway was too expensive.

It was always going to be EcoSport because they recently launched a very substantial facelift, has had a good reputation and decent long term reviews. In my budget I can get the top spec (almost) model and that too a diesel. The new infotainment system was also good. So it had just about everything going for it. Until...

I compared it with the Creta Petrol E Plus. Some price range, about 10L ex showroom, was what started that comparison.

Here's what I was missing in the Creta that I was getting in the EcoSport

1. A diesel engine and higher ground clearance
2. Alloy Wheels
3. Touch Screen Infotainment System with a a host of features.
4. Projector Headlamps and Fog Lights
5. Lots of features like Automatic Climate Control, Keyless entry and automatic start, rear wiper, better steering and seat adjustment among others
6. Rear parcel tray (like why would you remove this Hyundai?)

What I was getting

1. A bigger and arguably higher segment car
2. Couple of features over the EcoSport: Brake Assist, better warranty, rear AC vents

Of the things the car is missing, I will really mostly miss and thus get them fitted anyway are the Alloy Wheels, Rear Parcel Tray and Fog Lamps. Unfortunately the next varient (SX Plus) will be 2.5 lakhs more expensive OTR.

I want to understand, given the above, which car do I buy?

1. I drive between 500-700 kms a month on average, will I really miss the diesel engine and would it create a dent too big?
2. Is the Creta truly a better car at heart (engine and the mechanics) to buy it inspite of the missing features?
3. What features do you think I will miss later which I may not be able to comprehend right now?
4. What would you do?
5. Is there any other car I could have factored in, or dismissed too early and should revisit?

To be honest, I am more than happy with the EcoSport but my father and my sister and to an extent my mother like and want the Creta and while I too prefer that car (it is almost a segment higher) with these difference, I am very confused.

I truly look forward to your insights and help.
CaptainSlow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 01:05   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma: EcoSport Diesel Top Model or Creta Petrol Base

The Ecosport handles better and rides well, but you're not going to drive around corners with either car like how you did with your Polo.

Your running clearly doesn't warrant a diesel- so I'd pick the Creta any day. It's a newer product and it's a great package overall. That said, there's nothing wrong with the Ecosport and I'd say that it's age goes against it.

Why not look at the Ecosport AT? I've heard only good reviews about the new petrol engine.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 01:18   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
3. What features do you think I will miss later which I may not be able to comprehend right now?
Airbags.

The top end get Ecosport should have 6 of them, whereas the Creta base model will only have two.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 02:05   #154
BHPian

Ecosport should be the perfect choice. You get six airbags and lot of creature comforts with fresh looks in top most variant. Creta base model will be bare bones in front of fully loaded ecosport.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 02:12   #155
Senior - BHPian

The EcoSport feels way to overpriced.
Also, once you step inside the cabin of a Hyundai Creta, it feels much better (and airy).
I mean the touchscreen infotainment on the Ford is great, but overall, the panels of the Hyundai just feel superior.

That flat instrument console on the new EcoSport isn't very pleasing.
+ If you buy the top trim of the EcoSport, the ride on those large 17" rims is very hard. You sure you want to drive around in Mumbai monsoon with them?

Last edited by parrys : 20th February 2018 at 02:19.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 03:45   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
The Ecosport handles better and rides well, but you're not going to drive around corners with either car like how you did with your Polo.

Your running clearly doesn't warrant a diesel- so I'd pick the Creta any day. It's a newer product and it's a great package overall. That said, there's nothing wrong with the Ecosport and I'd say that it's age goes against it.

Why not look at the Ecosport AT? I've heard only good reviews about the new petrol engine.
I can only hope I find something else to love in the next car. But you are right the Polo will always have a very special place in my heart, it was my first car after all.

About the AT, somehow I feel more at home in a manual. Besides the top varient AT is way over my budget and I'd prefer the top, (although not the plus) Diesel manual over middle varient petrol AT.

As for the diesel, currently that is because it fits in so well with all these trips that I am day dreaming about (to Ladakh, to the North East, around Rajasthan). I will in all likelihood have this car for the next 5 years or more. And most of all, it fits in the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Airbags.

The top end get Ecosport should have 6 of them, whereas the Creta base model will only have two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Ecosport should be the perfect choice. You get six airbags and lot of creature comforts with fresh looks in top most variant. Creta base model will be bare bones in front of fully loaded ecosport.
Unfortunately, Titanium Plus is out of my budget, so it would be the Titanium, which only has two.

What I wanted to know was which car is better to drive (two-three kms with the SAs besides me don't really reveal much), better in the long term. The Ford's SA told me that the EcoSport's metal and body is far superior than Creta's is that true?

One of the things I especially wasn't a fan of in the Polo was how quickly you had to upslot to the second gear, since I stay in an area and also the society that is riddled with speed breakers every 50-100 meters. The EcoSport seemed better here (possibly because a diesel). Would the Creta Petrol have similar issues? I only drove it on smooth roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The EcoSport feels way to overpriced.
Also, once you step inside the cabin of a Hyundai Creta, it feels much better (and airy).
I mean the touchscreen infotainment on the Ford is great, but overall, the panels of the Hyundai just feel superior.

That flat instrument console on the new EcoSport isn't very pleasing.
+ If you buy the top trim of the EcoSport, the ride on those large 17" rims is very hard. You sure you want to drive around in Mumbai monsoon with them?
The Titanium version (unlike the Titanium Plus) has the 16 inch rims. I read the thread talking about the issues with the 17 inch rims, so quite relieved there. But yeah, agree with your points. Because I am also going from the Comfortline, I won't really miss the touchscreen or the auto AC.

Also, I am in Gurgaon now. Sadly. I miss Bombay so much!
Old 20th February 2018, 07:56   #157
BHPian

Creta is not really a segment above Ecosport. It’s just overpriced (maybe because it’s not sub-4m). Ecosport handles better, and is equally good in build quality. The fact that you’ll get a top end of Ecosport for the same amount of money of a barebones Creta makes it a no brainer.

So many more toys to play with and a top notch safety of 6 airbags. Why are you even considering Creta? Don’t have a halo of it being a better vehicle. That being said, it’s 1.6L Diesel is quite powerful (strong midrange) and if you aren’t getting it in your budget, don’t even step towards your nearest Hyundai showroom.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 20th February 2018 at 07:58.
The Brutailer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 09:03   #158
BHPian

The creta will pinch your pocket a little bit more whenever you fill it up or service it. Yes, it's more spacious but I for one wouldn't digest lack of features even after spending 10-11 lakhs.

I don't find the quality of plastics that great in a creta. It's surely a notch below than the Verna. The black plastics outside turn white/catch dirt very soon and requires cleaning and application of vinyl polish too often.

Just go for the EcoSport. Buy a trend/trend+ and you can save even more.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 09:22   #159
Senior - BHPian

Dilemma: EcoSport Diesel Top Model or Creta Petrol Base

Quote:
Dear All,

I want to understand, given the above, which car do I buy?

To be honest, I am more than happy with the EcoSport but my father and my sister and to an extent my mother like and want the Creta and while I too prefer that car (it is almost a segment higher) with these difference, I am very confused.

I truly look forward to your insights and help.

So I was in a very similar situation just 2 weeks ago. I had sold my Rapid diesel and was on the look out for a new car in the range of 12-13 lakhs and had test driven almost all the cars in that bracket, Verna Automatic and Manual petrols and diesels, Ecosport, Creta, Nexon, S-Cross, City and even the Vento.

My initial inclination was to buy the Verna Petrol or the E plus Creta Petrol, but a lot of research in Tbhp and other sites showed that this 1.6 Petrol motor is not that efficient like the City or Ciaz and hence the resale values of petrol Vernas were in particular quite low. Creta being a bigger car, is bound to deliver even lower efficiency, say 8kmpl in the City. So I ruled out the Creta or Verna Petrols and did another round of test drives of the diesels. And finally close to settling for a 1.6 SX Creta diesel, although I have had to stretch my budget quite a bit, but I am trying to lay my hands on a 2017 December manufactured car with some discounts thrown in. So it does not look like a bad deal at all.

So coming back to the Creta Petrol vs. Ecosport diesel, I can honestly say that the ecosport felt very good in its own way. Very well built, and the top end has very nice interiors. I dropped the ecosport from my list simply because I was moving from a Rapid and the ecosport looked a segment smaller. Else it looked like a very good product.

For sure the Creta is a bigger car and almost feels like one segment higher, but if you do not need that space then I would think the Ecosport does the job quite well. In fact I found the ride quality of the ecosport on bad roads to be as good as the Creta and may be slightly better than the Nexon and the S-Cross.

I think you should go for the Eco sport diesel, it makes better sense, from fuel efficiency stand point as well as resale.

Last edited by motorworks : 20th February 2018 at 09:26.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 09:27   #160
Senior - BHPian

Why are you looking at the EcoSport Diesel? For your kind of running and the way fuel prices are going, the petrol will do just fine.

So, the comparison should ideally be between the EcoSport Petrol and Creta Petrol.

Creta scores over EcoSport when it comes to space and interior quality. For everything else, I will just pick the new EcoSport. The new dragon engine is sweeter, handling is better, there is more kit and you will save some money as well.

The only bummer is the unavailability of Titanium+ for the Petrol MT. I will also bring the Trend+ AT into consideration since you got roads riddled with speed breakers every 50-100 meters. You left knee will love the AT.

Have fun shopping!
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 09:29   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

The Creta base version is too basic. ES would be the choice here. You would give up on some boot space, but you'll get lot more features than the Creta.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 09:41   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Why are you looking at the EcoSport Diesel? For your kind of running and the way fuel prices are going, the petrol will do just fine.
Because Torque! Apart from the iVtec in City and TSI in Vento, all other petrols in the segment are very mediocre. I’d rather have a superior turbocharged diesel engine and that will have nothing to do with the running each month. After all, engine makes the car. Why is petrol engine immediately implied if running is low?
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 09:52   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Because Torque! Apart from the iVtec in City and TSI in Vento, all other petrols in the segment are very mediocre. I’d rather have a superior turbocharged diesel engine and that will have nothing to do with the running each month. After all, engine makes the car. Why is petrol engine immediately implied if running is low?
Because of torque again. The new dragon engine got loads of torque - be it low down or in mid range. Drive it and you wont miss a diesel engine in the city. And I am talking about the MT here. I loved the driveability of the new petrol when I took the EcoSport for a spin. Bring the AT into the mix, and its almost a no-brainer.

Not sure why someone should put up with the frailties of a diesel engine when the petrol engine is so good and at a lower price point!
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 10:12   #164
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma: Ecosport Diesel Top Spec or Creta Petrol Base

Quote:
It was always going to be EcoSport
Creta is an amazing car, but the base variant of Creta is very basic. Keep engine and other features aside, a Creta without sharkfin antenna and roof rail look naked. A few months back, I was in a similar situation. My budget was 10L (OTR). I almost finalised Creta E+ 1.4 CRDI but then I ended up buying MS Vitara Breeza. I came very close to Ecosport but decided against it due to limited space in the rear seat.

In my Opinion, Ecosport is better than the base variant of Creta. Handling and ride quality of Ecosports are amazing. The facelifted version of Ecosport is just launched and you will get the latest (fresh) version.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 12:33   #165

Re: Dilemma: Ecosport Diesel Top Spec or Creta Petrol Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Why are you even considering Creta?
Mainly because arguably it's a segment above, is a bigger car and personally to me, looks better. Not much else going it's way however

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
The creta will pinch your pocket a little bit more whenever you fill it up or service it.

Just go for the EcoSport. Buy a trend/trend+ and you can save even more.
Are the servicing costs of the Creta Petrol higher than the Ecosport Diesel? I wasn't aware, can you please let me know more here?

Of the things that I personally feel essential are alloy wheels, which are not in the Trend Plus, everything else in the Titanium personally feel cosmetic upgrades to me. Will consider this option as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
And finally close to settling for a 1.6 SX Creta diesel, although I have had to stretch my budget quite a bit,

... but if you do not need that space then I would think the Ecosport does the job quite well. In fact I found the ride quality of the ecosport on bad roads to be as good as the Creta and may be slightly better than the Nexon and the S-Cross.
I don't really think I need the space since about 80% of the driving is going to be solitary. And thanks, that's what I wanted to know, it's capability on bad roads.

How is the suspension of the EcoSport? In city and on the highway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Creta scores over EcoSport when it comes to space and interior quality.

I will also bring the Trend+ AT into consideration since you got roads riddled with speed breakers every 50-100 meters.
So I had done my calculations and realized that if I drive 700 kms a month, given the ARAI FE and Fuel Prices, I will save about Rs. 1,000 per month on the Diesel. That's a saving of Rs. 60K per month. Given that the diesel is only 60K more, the amount I will save in a Petrol's EMI is what I would end up spending per month on Fuel so it seems to even out. Besides this the diesel will have a better resale value, diesels seems to stick closer to ARAI economies that the Petrol.

I found the interior quality of the Creta to be similar to the EcoSport but that's probably because it was the base variant.

Somehow I personally like driving a manual, though I agree this is not fair since I have probably driven an Automatic for all of 10 kms max. As I grow older, I will definitely get an Automatic because of the convenience, so I suppose this will be my last hurrah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Creta base version is too basic. ES would be the choice here. You would give up on some boot space, but you'll get lot more features than the Creta.
Correct, the boot space is not much of a deal breaker. I have not found myself in want of the more boot space in my Polo and EcoSport is anyway an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
... a Creta without sharkfin antenna and roof rail look naked. ... I came very close to Ecosport but decided against it due to limited space in the rear seat.
I think the E Plus too gets the Roof Rails. If the rear seat in the EcoSport can decently seat 2 people, I would be okay. Less than 5% of the times I would need to accommodate a 5th person.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks