Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 16:18   #1486
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
Hi Guys,

Can anyone suggest good photo editing software for mac. iPhoto does not cater to all the needs. And the edited pics from iPhoto are stored in its libraries and can not be accessed from finder. And can't we directly edit the photos as we do in windows rather than importing it to libraries and making copies of images.
Hey, 'Aperture' is proper photo editing software and unless you are a professional or are doing some serious editing at home on videos and photos, there is no use of it. So I recommend Adobe Photoshop CS6 available for Mac.
Peace out!

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th August 2014 at 17:30. Reason: No piracy discussions please.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:28   #1487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Can anyone suggest good photo editing software for mac. iPhoto does not cater to all the needs. And the edited pics from iPhoto are stored in its libraries and can not be accessed from finder. And can't we directly edit the photos as we do in windows rather than importing it to libraries and making copies of images.
Arun, though iphoto edits pictures present in its own library, but you can chose to export or simply right click and copy the files you want to any other location including your flash drive.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:37   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

While I use Photoshop for my heavier edits, most of the basic edits can be done using Picasa. It combines a basic editor and image viewer.

I have suggested Picasa to a few friends who were using iPhoto before and they have been singing praises of it.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:51   #1489
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Hey, 'Aperture' is proper photo editing software and unless you are a professional or are doing some serious editing at home on videos and photos, there is no use of it. So I recommend Adobe Photoshop CS6 available for Mac.
Peace out!
It might not be worth looking for Aperture. Apple has stopped development on this product. Its getting retired. Both iPhoto and Aperture are being merged into a single Photos App.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th August 2014 at 17:30. Reason: Editing quoted post.
Old 20th August 2014, 17:06   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It might not be worth looking for Aperture. Apple has stopped development on this product. Its getting retired. Both iPhoto and Aperture are being merged into a single Photos App.
Yeah, saw it on cnet. Yosemite does not even include iPhoto. So I guess your best bet is to either wait for Apple to release a Photos app or use PS
Old 20th August 2014, 18:00   #1491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, saw it on cnet. Yosemite does not even include iPhoto. So I guess your best bet is to either wait for Apple to release a Photos app or use PS
It was not me, but Arun who looking for it. I was on Aperture. But seeing this development, I moved to Light Room.
Old 21st August 2014, 06:51   #1492
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like PS is the option available but it is not free.
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:42   #1493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Yes, see the reputation of the seller before buying the Macbook. Flipkart themselves sell it through WS-Retail, so I doubt there'd be any problems wrt warranty. I know someone who has purchased his Macbook online and when claiming warranty for some defect, it was honoured.
Oh, that's good to know. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
You can also go in for the mac book pro non retina. This will help you store more stuff (500gbs) and give you an option of using your CD's and DVD's. I have 2 pro's and can safely say "once you go mac, you never go back"
Thanks doc, will look up MBP as well.
Old 25th September 2014, 21:17   #1494
BHPian

I also bought a 13 inch MBA.
Just installed MS office. nothing else
My first Mac laptop.

Kindly suggest a nice sleeve/backpack for it. VFM ones
I have a cramster backpack where it fits really loose.I love that backpack but somehow the macbook doesn't feel safe in it.
I also have a tommy messenger bag but its cumbersome to carry by one shoulder for long durations

I actually use it pretty roughly, carry it around a lot. on trains/buses/motorcycles, everything. Runs at least 14-15 hours daily
Any other accessories recommended?
that keyboard protector seen on online stores?

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 25th September 2014 at 21:22.
Old 27th September 2014, 09:14   #1495
Senior - BHPian

Hi
I recently upgraded the ram and OS of my Macbook. Post the upgrade, all photos from the period Jan 2014 to May 2014 have disappeared completely from the iPhoto library. I tried opening the package contents of the library, but the 'modified' and 'originals' folder don't have any data from the specific period. I even tried rebuilding the library, but the missing pics didn't show up.

Can anyone please help me retrieve the missing pics? May 2014 contains pics of my Ladakh trip and I'd really hate to lose it!

iPhoto 8, MacBook 4,1 running OsX Lion.
Old 27th September 2014, 22:01   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
I have upgraded my MacBook Pro to Yosemite Beta and my iPhoto still works in Yosemite Beta. However, my iMac, where I installed Yosemite Beta under VMWare, without any pre-existing Mavericks installation, I notice that there is no application to view photos at all.

Thanks for pointing it out I completely missed noticing it earlier, what with my main machine, the MacBook Pro having iPhoto.

Cheers
Old 27th September 2014, 22:24   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I have upgraded my MacBook Pro to Yosemite Beta and my iPhoto still works in Yosemite Beta. However, my iMac, where I installed Yosemite Beta under VMWare, without any pre-existing Mavericks installation, I notice that there is no application to view photos at all.

Thanks for pointing it out I completely missed noticing it earlier, what with my main machine, the MacBook Pro having iPhoto.

Cheers
I did a format before installing, so I don't have any pre installed apps. I only got iMovie from my brother's laptop who installed it in the pre existing OS. So it is definite that Yosemite will not contain iPhoto, but a photo app like iOS 8
Cheers,
Old 20th October 2014, 15:02   #1498
BHPian

Updated Software on my Macbook Pro on 16th Oct. to OS 10.10 i.e Yosemite. Guys, the Software is 5.16 GB, so please be prepared with Full Battery and GB's on your Internet Connection.

Continuity is working seamlessly. I did answer couple of Calls on the MAC. Messages will start beaming from tonight i.e after updating my iOS to 8.1.
Old 20th October 2014, 15:21   #1499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Updated Software on my Macbook Pro on 16th Oct. to OS 10.10 i.e Yosemite. Guys, the Software is 5.16 GB, so please be prepared with Full Battery and GB's on your Internet Connection.
Same here. Updated the first day. Working seamlessly. (I am on a mini). Spotlight seems to have improved dramatically.
Old 20th October 2014, 15:52   #1500
BHPian

I was running the beta for a while on my laptop, but updated both the MBPro and iMac to the release version.

I have the following issues:

On my MBPro (which was running the beta all this while) Notification Centre does not work at all. I spoke with AppleCare and they said they have never come across this before. I had provided this feedback to Apple during the beta phase, but hey... The only solution they could come up with was to do a nuke and pave instead of installing over the beta. I shall try that later.

On my iMac (and on the MBPro), Spotlight does not provide suggestions from Wikipedia or Bing. It is supposed to - it is a feature. It currently (for me) only provides suggestions from what's already in my computer. Does anyone else face this? Can you try and let me know?

Other than these two issues, it seems to work fine.

I am able to make and receive calls from my Macs (both, the 2014 iMac 27" and the 2010 MBPro), Handoff and Continuity work beautifully on the Mac as well as the iPad2 and the two iPhone 5.

Once iOS 8.1 is available I shall update the iDevices and my Apple TV (2nd generation) and see what else works.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks