Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:04   #166
BHPian

Re: iPad-ed !!!!

Guys want a quick suggestion, planning to get the Ipad 2 from the US. Which config to buy? I have pretty much decided on 32 gb.
Also does the 3g +wifi comes with a carrier? Then i wont be able to use a free sim unless i jailbreak it right?

I have a BSNL SIM with me and i plant to use this in the ipad so please suggest what spec i need to ask from my contact in the US , so that he can carry it down for me.
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:05   #167
BHPian

@redrage

#1. Which one to buy?
This depends on your usage. If you want to store a lot of media stuff then go in for a larger capacity. If you already have a portable music player (iPhone, iTouch, iPod or any mp3 player) then IMO large capacity is not that useful.
iPad has the costliest 16GB (32-16) that you can buy right now.

This is how I approached it. My phone is my primary music device so I could cut back on the storage size on iPad.

#2. Which configuration
Again depends on your need. All iPad models are world unlocked. So you wouldn't have to jailbreak (& unlock) it for use in India.
3G model should work in India. I don't think there is a separate CDMA & GSM model for iPad.

cheers
rtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:48   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
I don't think there is a separate CDMA & GSM model for iPad.
There is. Verizon iPads are CDMA while AT&T are GSM. I don't know whether CDMA iPad bought in US work in India. But GSM ones work.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:52   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Guys want a quick suggestion, planning to get the Ipad 2 from the US. Which config to buy? I have pretty much decided on 32 gb.
Also does the 3g +wifi comes with a carrier? Then i wont be able to use a free sim unless i jailbreak it right?

I have a BSNL SIM with me and i plant to use this in the ipad so please suggest what spec i need to ask from my contact in the US , so that he can carry it down for me.
Buy a 3G GSM based iPad. iPads are unlocked world over, so you can readily use it with any carrier, as long as you manage to get a micro sim or get it made.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:07   #170
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using the camera kit here? I am thinking of getting an iPad as a backup device for storing photos during travel.
Old 24th May 2011, 23:37   #171
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Need your help!

I have 2 options to chose - iPad 64GB, 3G for 36K and iPad 2 16GB WiFi for 27K. Yes, you guessed it right. The dealer is selling off the older stock in lieu of the new version.

The primary usage for this will be movies, music, social networking and maybe games. User will be my wife who is happy with a 5 year old HP Pavilion which has been serving us fabulously so far. My wife is looking for nothing else than these and any other features will be well, great.

So, what would be a sensible buy? We will not look for an upgrade for the same any sooner.

Thanks!

P.S - I'll be buying in Europe, any unlocking or issues of such kind in India? Budget is upto 40K.

Last edited by JVH : 24th May 2011 at 23:39.
Old 25th May 2011, 10:34   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

I have 2 options to chose - iPad 64GB, 3G for 36K and iPad 2 16GB WiFi for 27K.

The primary usage for this will be movies, music, social networking and maybe games.

P.S - I'll be buying in Europe, any unlocking or issues of such kind in India? Budget is upto 40K.
Since you need it for movies too, 16GB may be too less.

If you intend to use it only at home and not while travelling then 3G will not be necessary.

No unlocking issues, wherever it is bought.
Old 28th May 2011, 01:03   #173
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Slicvic!

Picked up the iPad yesterday. Was at ease instantly and got addicted too! A great gadget to surf and compact enough though looks like a overgrown walrus infront of the iPad2. Hope the missus likes it.
Old 28th May 2011, 08:03   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH
Thanks Slicvic!

Picked up the iPad yesterday. Was at ease instantly and got addicted too! A great gadget to surf and compact enough though looks like a overgrown walrus infront of the iPad2. Hope the missus likes it.
Next step is to download the Team- BHP app!
Available on the app store in iTunes
Old 28th May 2011, 09:47   #175
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Already done including many other apps

Like I said, was at ease and instantly got addicted too. And T-BHP looks supercool on the screen
Old 28th May 2011, 10:44   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Next step is to download the Team- BHP app!
Available on the app store in iTunes
Why use the Team BHP app on the iPad when you can visit the site and browse normally? The app makes more sense on cell phones.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:18   #177
BHPian

I have a iPad 1, 64 GB, 3G model. I read somewhere on this forum that iPads are unlocked by default. So if I put a 3G Sim in this, will it work in India.

My son in U.K., used to have an GPS application on his iPhone 4, which he used extensively to search streets etc. Is there any such application available for India?
If yes, then I can use it as a GPS device.
Old 28th May 2011, 15:09   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Why use the Team BHP app on the iPad when you can visit the site and browse normally? The app makes more sense on cell phones.
I find the app faster. And viewing pictures in a thread is so much easier in the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
I have a iPad 1, 64 GB, 3G model. I read somewhere on this forum that iPads are unlocked by default. So if I put a 3G Sim in this, will it work in India.

My son in U.K., used to have an GPS application on his iPhone 4, which he used extensively to search streets etc. Is there any such application available for India?
If yes, then I can use it as a GPS device.
You would have to cut the SIM into the required micro SIM card size and then use it. It has been discussed in the previous pages of this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2218646
Old 28th May 2011, 19:40   #179
Senior - BHPian

Bought a new ipad wifi + 3G, 64 GB for dad from gaffar market (karol bagh, delhi) for Rs48,500. Also bought a sky blue genuine i-pad magnetic cover for Rs.2300. Was long due now but I was waiting for the prices to come down, a bloody 16GB costed Rs.65k in Feb end.

The waiting at Apple is 3 weeks and it costs Rs.47k. I could have waited for about 3 weeks but a few immediate relatives are coming over tomorrow from UK and I dont leave a chance to show off to NRIs .

Still confused, if I should use Airtel 3G or Vodafone 3G, both are equally BAD .

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 28th May 2011 at 19:58.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:13   #180
BHPian

I heard MTNL plans are good. Ought to be the same for bank ad well, no?

I'm not sure of their coverage though. For calls they seem to have wider (not better) coverage.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks