Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 19:18   #196
BHPian

re: White Toyota Fortuner TRD- Trotting along past 55,000 Kms.

due to some error the pics did not load. i have deleted the post and will try reposting again.

Last edited by Manuuj : 12th January 2012 at 19:22.
Old 12th January 2012, 19:41   #197
BHPian

The Fortuner in the Desert as the sun sets
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1879.jpg

The Sun sets behind us on another memorable day
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1881.jpg

The Fort with the Fort
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1900.jpg

..one of the few times the GT was behind the Fortuner
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1908.jpg

We reached the Ajit Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1925.jpg

Some Vintage beauties at the Ajit Bhawan Palace.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1962.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1963.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1964.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1965.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1966.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1967.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1968.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1970.jpg

The imposing and impressive Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1975.jpg

..and we found time for a bit of adventure sports
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2087.jpg

The next stop was the Lalgarh Palace Hotel, Bikaner.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2150.jpg

Our Convoy of 4 parked at the Lalgarh Palace, Bikaner.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2125.jpg

After a 2600 kms trip covering Jaipur, Ajmer, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Bikaner and Punjab the Fortuner headed home to Delhi for a much deserved service and rest before the second part of the Road Trip to Uttaranchal began a couple of days later.

To be contd..
Manuuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 19:52   #198
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manuuj and other fortuner owners,

Is anyone of you considering upgrading to the latest Fortuner? It has brake assist, EBD & VSC which I find interesting. Do you feel these are good reasons for an upgrade? Does the current Fortuner have brake assist & EBD?

Nitin
Old 12th January 2012, 20:18   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post

Is anyone of you considering upgrading to the latest Fortuner? It has brake assist, EBD & VSC which I find interesting. Do you feel these are good reasons for an upgrade? Does the current Fortuner have brake assist & EBD?

Nitin
Yes the pre-facelift fortuner has EBD. its available on Innova also. Nitin - if you were to upgrade, you could get 21+ for your fortuner. If you put in the difference lo behold !! you upgrade.

I feel its worth the upgrade. Steering controls, DVD Player + refreshed interiors are something i get for 3 lacs extra from my pocket.
Old 12th January 2012, 20:24   #200
BHPian

Quote:

Nitin
Good question Nitin. The simple answer for me is No. I am very happy with the Fortuner i have in respects of looks as well as performance. The Classic Fortuner does have Brake Assist in the form of ABS and EBD but no VSC which is Vehicle Stability Control.

I just finished a 3600 kms Road trip in two weeks in the Fortuner and trust me when i say this it performed faultlessly. Touched over 170 kmph frequently and the vehicle felt very stable, ABS performed well when it was required and the vehicle never felt out of control.

I doubt very much any of the Classic Fortuner owners will upgrade to the New Fortuner. I for one am not crazy about the looks but that is only when i compare it to the Classic Fortuner. Its still better looking than a whole host of SUV's out there.

Last edited by Manuuj : 12th January 2012 at 20:32.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 20:34   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
The Classic Fortuner does have Brake Assist in the form of ABS but no EBD or Electronic Brake Force Distribution or VSC which is Vehicle Stability Control.
Brake assist is separate from ABS. Brake assist is a feature that helps the driver obtain correct braking irrespective of the speeds by pressing on the pedal normally, instead of hard-pressing on it. This is very useful especially at emergency situations. I'm surprised the classic fortuner does not have BA.

I too feel the classic fortuner looks better than the new one.
Old 12th January 2012, 22:46   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nitin
No. Reasons:

1. No spare-able money/justification. Wife would kill me.

2. After 20K+ kms, I am comfortable with my "Classic" Fortuner. Have traveled on all sorts of terrain. Have learnt to minimize its weaknesses and enjoy its strengths. The vehicle is broken-in now. The benefits will be very very incremental in terms of things that actually matter to me. VSC is the only reason to upgrade. However, I can live without that - I drive keeping in mind the vehicles characteristics.
Old 12th January 2012, 22:50   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
1. No spare-able money/justification. Wife would kill me.
That's a good one!

However, if you sell your existing fortuner, am sure it would fetch a very good value, add to it 2-3 lacks and you should be fine....

Hope I dont destroy your family!

I am going to take a test drive and understand for myself what the upgrade is all about.
Old 13th January 2012, 00:26   #204
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread Manuuj. Good to see you are having good time with your Fortuner. Which desert rally was that, I guess that was "Expedition on Wheels"

I have bookmarked this thread and will go through each post as and when I will get time. Good pics.
Ym-enjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 09:11   #205
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manuuj,

Had you changed the fortuner's bumber skirts? The car looks different from the initial and the later pics. Had you also added something to the black portion of the b-pillar? It appears silver rather than black. Overall, the looks are great! You should also have changed the front grill to the prado style grill! Would the side-skirts on the step guard get scratched with time, due to people stepping on it?

How strong are the body kits? Are they susceptible to damage/wear & tear during your off-roading?

Nitin
Old 13th January 2012, 14:27   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Nice thread Manuuj. Good to see you are having good time with your Fortuner. Which desert rally was that, I guess that was "Expedition on Wheels"

I have bookmarked this thread and will go through each post as and when I will get time. Good pics.
Thanks for your kind words YM-enjn. It was some rally organised by Northern Motorsports but the name eludes me right now. I shall be posting more pics soon and i hope u like those too. Look forward to your comments and feedback.

Quote:
Hi Manuuj,

Had you changed the fortuner's bumber skirts? The car looks different from the initial and the later pics. Had you also added something to the black portion of the b-pillar? It appears silver rather than black. Overall, the looks are great! You should also have changed the front grill to the prado style grill! Would the side-skirts on the step guard get scratched with time, due to people stepping on it?

How strong are the body kits? Are they susceptible to damage/wear & tear during your off-roading?

Nitin
Hi Nitin, The Fortuner is in the same condition as it was from the first day i bought it here is a pic for reference from December 2009.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-11122009748.jpg

This one is a more recent one as you may see from the date, for you to compare the two.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1878.jpg

The only thing i removed were the ghastly Gold Emblems which i replaced with the Original chrome ones. The rest of the vehicle is as it was from new.As u will see the B Pillar chrome covers were there in the beginning too.

The full story of the added accessories and removal of some unwanted ones is in my first few posts of this thread.

The paint Quality of the side steps is very good and even after 2 years of use they do not have scuff marks which are very visible. The Body Kits are made from a very high quality Plastic and do not get damaged with minor shunts or offroading. Though minor scratches from day to day wear are there.
Old 13th January 2012, 14:50   #207
BHPian

The Rajasthan road trip had been a grand success and the Fortuner had behaved impeccably. The Fuel consumption was around the 10.4 kmpl mark but this was due to a loaded vehicle travelling between 120 to 140 kmph at most times.

After a couple of days spent in Punjab we returned to Delhi for its 45,000 kms checkup and minor service. The car was inspected and the only thing that needed topping up was the washer fluid.

The tyre rotation and balancing was carried out and it was given a VERY THOROUGH wash. The underbody was cleaned twice as per my request. The insides were drycleaned/shampoo'ed. The engine bay and top wash was done to my satisfaction under my eagle eye.

The cost was Rs. 600 odd.

The underbody was thoroughly washed..twice!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2185.jpg

Engine check up was done, Air filter and HVAC filter cleaned and washer fluid topped up
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2187.jpg

Interiors were thoroughly cleaned.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2188.jpg

Body was shampoo'ed and washed.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2191.jpg

Engine bay washed and dried.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2194.jpg

Fresh as a daisy and ready to rock again!!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2196.jpg

Thus it was now ready for the second part of its Road trip to Uttaranchal and Kumaon!!.. (NILANJAN are you listening ) which covered Corbett, Marchula, Manila, Kaladhungi and a night halt at Nainital.

To be contd..

Last edited by Manuuj : 13th January 2012 at 14:56.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:47   #208
BHPian

I will let pictures do the taking for the Corbett trip. I have been going to Corbett since i was about 8 and it is my "Happy Place".

Another early morning start..another road trip!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2199.jpg
Load Up!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2200.jpg
Who needs clothes?!! :P
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2201.jpg
Essential fuel for early morning starts!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2206.jpg
Another day another beautiful sunrise
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2220.jpg
Moradabad Byepass is good..but is under road widening at some places
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2226.jpg
Can see some fog moving in..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2227.jpg
OOPS!! I'd better slow down
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2228.jpg
What the !!??!..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2229.jpg
Entering Corbett.. my happy place! It took some time and effort to get rooms inside the Reserve..but we managed! There is also a new rule that you cannot take your personal vehicles inside. This i think is just being spread by the Taxi Union in cohoots with the Forest officials to boost their own sales. After i had hired a gypsy with a driver and requested them to let me take my Fortuner in they ceded to my request. Thank God!!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2231.jpg
Jhirna Forest Rest House..has two rooms and clean bathrooms attached in the Old Building and the same in the new building adjoining it. We stayed in the Old Building as it had spacious verandas and a large drawing room
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2247.jpg
The Fortuner is ready to take on the jungle after a successful foray in the Thar Desert! The gypsy parked next to it is the one we hired (with driver) for a day (24 hours).
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2248.jpg
After a long safari we were returning to the FRH and came across a herd of Wild Elephants..Elephant Number 1
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2309.jpg
Elephant number 2
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2310.jpg
Elephant number 3
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2313.jpg
A flock of almost 20 peacocks crossed us as we were held up by the Elephant herd
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2314.jpg
The Elephants blocked our path as we had a new born calf with them. At one point one of the large females even mock charged us which was enough to send shivers down our spines.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2317.jpg
A young elephant holds his ground and kicked the sand warning us to stay clear
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2321.jpg
The sun began to set and it was getting dark pretty rapidly..i hope they move away soon!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2324.jpg
They finally moved off and let us through!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2325.jpg

That was some day!!

More coming up soon!
Old 13th January 2012, 16:44   #209
BHPian

Corbett Continued..

After a deep sleep we all rose at 6 am for another Safari but this time i persuaded the Guide to let us take the Fortuner and leave the Gypsy behind. Owing to the fact that the gypsy had broken down twice in the middle of the Jungle the previous evening and since it was very cold he hastily agreed. The driver was only too happy to save his petrol and go back to his warm bed..

The sun shines on another beautiful crisp morning..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2337.jpg
Tiger Tiger!! Where art thou?..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2339.jpg
The Fortuner revels in the Jungle trails. I engaged LL to go down this particularly steep decline to the river bed, and the Fortuner practically crawled down. I did not have to use the brakes. It behaved wonderfully. My friend from Bombay who was with me along with his wife decided then and there that the Fortuner HAD to be his next car. He roped me in to convince his LoH, who infact, did not need much convincing at all!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2340.jpg
Parked and waited for some alarm calls...and a bathroom break. Was marking my territory you see..letting the Tiger know whose Boss.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2344.jpg
Peacock and Peahen..jaywalkers!!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2348.jpg
What lies around this bend??
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2350.jpg
An old male tusker watched us silently from behind the forest cover..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2352.jpg
He advanced..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2353.jpg
..and came into the open.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2355.jpg
He watched us intently and after a short heartstopping mock charge..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2358.jpg
..whipped around and crashed through the jungle
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2359.jpg
A Langur watched this early morning drama..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2362.jpg
The Fortuner was unperturbed and seemed to be grinning.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2370.jpg
A Flyover in the jungle!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2392.jpg

to be contd...
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 16:54   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
All Reports !
Hi Manuuj,
What can I say ? Let me attempt.
- Firstly a big shabaash/taaliyan on having got the right profile picture/ avatar - of the Fortuner in the desert. Took a long time - but come it did. Thank God you got rid of that Bentley-Shentley stuff. Quite an eyesore that ! And by the way the full blown desert shot (now your avatar) is truly scrumptious !

- Extremely sorry to have read about the pilferage of the OVMs. It send a shiver down my spine as well. But tell me with your vehicle being parked in such a secure location (residence) how did lightning strike twice ? Want to bet it's the same guy/guys - knowing you and your habits pretty well ? I think the butler did it !
Anyway was quite surprised to know that the Fortuner OVRMs are in demand in the 2nds market. Thankfully with the new Fortuner OVRMs around the demand for the old ones will go down I suppose.
So now what precautions are you taking to secure the OVRMs ?

- A wonderful report and a fabulous set of snaps in all the installments of your report/s. Delighted to note that despite all the loading (albeit with fiery liquids mostly !) and fairly aggressive speeds you got a healthy FE returns of 10+. Looks good !

- Glad to note your steadfast loyalty to the classic Fortuner !

- Congratulations on touching the 45K klicks. May you have many, many more multiples of this figure in the most delightful, safe manner.

Q - Did you claim insurance for the replacement of the OVMs. How much did they cost you totally this time ? Last time I recollect you saying it was 17K for the pair.

Good Luck. Keep those reports coming in !

PS: From your next set of Corbett snaps which just came in mail:

What did you do for the elephant to insult you with the traditional Maori insult - of showing its bare bottom ?!! Whackapoo !

Last edited by Guderian : 13th January 2012 at 17:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks